HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goalie Situation!! TRADE???

Old
02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Or signed Anderson and re-sign Knuble.
Also an option.

Really, anything would have been better than signing a guy who's poor technically, has an injury history, and hadn't played in the NHL for over a year and expecting him to play 60-65 games.

People can bash Biron all they want, the facts are that this team was 6th in save percentage last year and is 20th this year.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Or signed Anderson and re-sign Knuble.
Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody could have predicted that Anderson would play this well going into the season.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody could have predicted that Anderson would play this well going into the season.
But some of us predicted he would be a serviceable starting NHL goaltender this season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
airlouche

Flyers should trade for either Halak or Price and finally have a young promising goalie to build around. I dont know wich one is the most promising tough. Hartnell for Price or Halak seem to be a fair deal. We can take Gill or Spacek to help Montreal fir the cap.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
But some of us predicted he would be a serviceable starting NHL goaltender this season.
People also predicted the same thing about Emery. I was always a fan of Anderson personally though so I thought he had starting potential.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:13 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Flyers should trade for either Halak or Price and finally have a young promising goalie to build around. I dont know wich one is the most promising tough. Hartnell for Price or Halak seem to be a fair deal. We can take Gill or Spacek to help Montreal fir the cap.
Habs won't do it. Not when they need to re-sign Pleks in the off-season. Hartnell's on pace for 43 pts, is penalty prone and his salary is over 4 million. And Gill / Spacek aren't throw aways. We kinda need them in the lineup now.

Habs will hold onto both until the offseason then decide what to do then.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
I mean, he's basically playing just as well as he did last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I mean, he's basically playing just as well as he did last year.
The point is that there were doubts about his ability as a starter last year. To complain that Holmgrem didn't play out the market is a valid complaint. However, it's just stupid to say that we didn't take "x player over x player". It's almost as bad as saying we didn't pick "x player over x player" in a draft.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:21 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
That sounds good in theory, but it would be the same 'ol story for this team. We have had plenty of young, 'promising', goalies in the past and even they never seem to work out too well. See: Boucher, Ouellet, and even Niittymaki.
I want a proven netminder, someone who has been there, done that. Emery made it to the finals, yes...but also played a year in Russia (not an everyday goalie, mind you). I'll say it until I am blue in the face, but I wanted Giggy. The guy has proven hes a consistent goalie and a winner. Two cup appearances and one win. These high risk high reward goalies are not for this team, and we have seen it time and time again, and until that changes its doubtful we will win the whole sha-bang.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
The point is that there were doubts about his ability as a starter last year. To complain that Holmgrem didn't play out the market is a valid complaint. However, it's just stupid to say that we didn't take "x player over x player". It's almost as bad as saying we didn't pick "x player over x player" in a draft.
Eh, I think that's a legitimate gripe in this case. If he'd gone to the market and we talked to Anderson and he still signed with Colorado...so it goes. In this case, we never even had the chance to talk to him.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:25 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
That sounds good in theory, but it would be the same 'ol story for this team. We have had plenty of young, 'promising', goalies in the past and even they never seem to work out too well. See: Boucher, Ouellet, and even Niittymaki.
I want a proven netminder, someone who has been there, done that. Emery made it to the finals, yes...but also played a year in Russia (not an everyday goalie, mind you). I'll say it until I am blue in the face, but I wanted Giggy. The guy has proven hes a consistent goalie and a winner. Two cup appearances and one win. These high risk high reward goalies are not for this team, and we have seen it time and time again, and until that changes its doubtful we will win the whole sha-bang.
Giggy earns 6 million / season is in his 30's and was unseated by Hiller as the starter on the Ducks. Is that really who you covet?

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Eh, I think that's a legitimate gripe in this case. If he'd gone to the market and we talked to Anderson and he still signed with Colorado...so it goes. In this case, we never even had the chance to talk to him.
Personally I was hoping for an Emery/Anderson tandem. It would've been a cheap and safe bet as it was clear both had the ability to play in either a starter or backup's role and be serviceable at the very least. I was never happy with bringing back Boosh and I'm not happy with keeping Leighton aboard.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Personally I was hoping for an Emery/Anderson tandem. It would've been a cheap and safe bet as it was clear both had the ability to play in either a starter or backup's role and be serviceable at the very least. I was never happy with bringing back Boosh and I'm not happy with keeping Leighton aboard.
I doubt Anderson would have signed here after we signed Emery, so you would have had to sign him first...but who knows what Emery thinks if he isn't coming in as the obvious starter?

It's tough to get that good a backup unless you have a young guy who you control contractually (Nitty), or just sort of luck into one...so, in that sense, I was fine with Boucher. He is what he is...just didn't like him behind a question mark in Emery.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I doubt Anderson would have signed here after we signed Emery, so you would have had to sign him first...but who knows what Emery thinks if he isn't coming in as the obvious starter?

It's tough to get that good a backup unless you have a young guy who you control contractually (Nitty), or just sort of luck into one...so, in that sense, I was fine with Boucher. He is what he is...just didn't like him behind a question mark in Emery.
That's the thing. I'm fine with Boucher if it were any other legitimate starter, but going into the season Emery was one of the biggest question marks in the league. It's just not smart to sign a guy like Boosh in that situation.

Personally I think Emery would have been fine even in a backup role. He seemed very happy to be playing in the NHL over the KHL and I imagine that being in a backup role wouldn't have stopped him from coming over here.

Even if we couldn't get both Emery and Anderson, I would have preferred to keep Niitty and have gone with either an Anderson/Niitty tandem or Emery/Niitty tandem. I wasn't all too concerned about his hip problems.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Even if we couldn't get both Emery and Anderson, I would have preferred to keep Niitty and have gone with either an Anderson/Niitty tandem or Emery/Niitty tandem. I wasn't all too concerned about his hip problems.
I liked Nitty as a backup, but I think that's one of those "it had run its course" things.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I liked Nitty as a backup, but I think that's one of those "it had run its course" things.
Fair enough. Happy to see him ripping it up in Tampa Bay though. He is an excellent backup.

It just seems that between Anderson, Emery, Biron, and Niittymaki we should have easily been able to end up with something better then Emery/Boucher. Just really bad foresight by Holmgrem there.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Giggy earns 6 million / season is in his 30's and was unseated by Hiller as the starter on the Ducks. Is that really who you covet?
Oh no, you are right. What was I thinking, why would I want a 32 year old Stanley Cup winning goalie with a career GAA of 2.52? 6 million is alot and he makes it for the next two years before he becomes a UFA. He's not quite worth that but I think a change of scenery and a solid number one roll is all he needed.
Staying on topic tho the Flyers need to think long and hard about what to do this offseason, do they have enough faith in Emery or are they going to play goalie roulette again?

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Fair enough. Happy to see him ripping it up in Tampa Bay though. He is an excellent backup.

It just seems that between Anderson, Emery, Biron, and Niittymaki we should have easily been able to end up with something better then Emery/Boucher. Just really bad foresight by Holmgrem there.
Hell, you can throw Roloson in there too...who is playing well for the Islanders, and signed to a short, reasonable contract.

Old
02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Hell, you can throw Roloson in there too...who is playing well for the Islanders, and signed to a short, reasonable contract.
I can see why they would avoid Roloson, but you're right. I didn't realize that his contract was as small as it is. 2.5 for two years. Not bad.

Old
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
The only reason the Flyers stayed afloat down the stretch was because they were able to beat the Islanders, Toronto (giving up 5 goals), and the Panthers. None of those are playoff teams. They lost to the only playoff team they played, which was a struggling Rangers team.

Biron also handed(literally) the Penguins a victory last year. Even 1 point from that game would have given the Flyers home-ice advantage.

And that is the definition of hypocrisy. One poster looked at Emery in a positive light amidst partial failure, whereas Jester criticized that poster and looked at Biron in a positive light amidst partial failure.

Also, you're right, it doesn't matter who scored those goals against the Flyers, it's how they were scored:

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...,1229&fr=false

Goal 2 for the Rangers- Biron is given the shooter on a 2-1 on 1 (defenseman tied up the open forward), ends up on his behind and gives up an empty net
Goal 3 for the Rangers- Biron somehow gives up a high shot under the crossbar while standing up
Goal 4 for the rangers- Biron stops Betts on the first chance(because Betts fanned on it), then hands him the rebound

Biron made his career in Philly on a playoff series in which the Habs shot at Biron's glove when given open nets and Price couldn't stop...anything. If anyone gets credit for that series it should go to the Canadiens themselves.
I strongly disagree on that front. If I remember correctly the first two games of that series the team played like crap. I do however remember feeling like the team was not putting in much effort in at least one of those games.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:41 AM
captainpaxil

im just gonna babble on here with some uber homerism boosh love please dont expect me to make any sense.

going into the season we signed and experience backup goalie a guy whos started games and won playoff games. notoriously streaky as a starter but a proven backup. exactly the solid mentor type you bring in to play behind a developing young goalie. withe emerys history of self destruction he was to be the stabling force.

now it didnt play out that way but injurys have taken emery out of the lineup and weve been winning games with the worst goalie from the worst team in the league who we picked up off waivers because hes the coaches pet. and after boosh hurt his pinky the new guy sat him. after showing he takes a few games to warm up early in the year boosh has gone over a month without playing. but the goaltending he gave us in december was the best weve gotten from any of the 3 all year.

so apparently none of these guys are the answer but boosh has value and a contract past this year. hes shown in the past he can play and win in the playoffs and if im the coach id start him for a string of games now to see if the team can step it up in front of him. building confidence in the guy they know is gonna be there even if its just occassionally.

again none of these guys are the long term answer and we should do what we can to acquire a guy who can be the long term solution. but you cant cut the balls off your backup and then expect the boys in the room to go out and play for him. stability is the first step to chemistry and if the starter goes down im completely confident in playing brian boucher going into the playoffs.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not too concerned in goal. for this season. Long term is another story. If they sign Emery, I'm cool with that. If not, then I'm worried. When Emery gets healthy he'll be more than ok.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I strongly disagree on that front. If I remember correctly the first two games of that series the team played like crap. I do however remember feeling like the team was not putting in much effort in at least one of those games.
Pretty sure he is talking about the regular season game where Biron threw the puck to a Penguin at the right face off circle because he didn't want to take a delay of game penalty.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote