HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade girardi and sanguinetti??

Old
02-07-2010, 08:56 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
get girardi out of here and bring in someone who is physical.

i wish we still had mara

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post

i wish we still had mara
Well, in that case, why not get rid of Staal, too?

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:09 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeZee4MVP View Post
Well, in that case, why not get rid of Staal, too?
not the worst idea.

Old
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Looking at the Depth we have on D now makes Sans a little expandable, It's not that anyone here dislikes his play, he has been past on the depth Chart bt DZ & Gilroy.

Girardi is a tough one, he has a ton of NHL experiance He is gonna be looking for a nice pay day. I agree with the poster before me that I'm not signing any of the RFA's until I see what happens with Kovy.

I think the wild card here is Gilroy, he could be traded. He has vaule & is making a decent amount of money.
This, for all of you anti-Girardi fans.

Why are you not getting on Gilroy? Is he a better "shut down" defenseman than Girardi? Is he the physical player everyone gets all over Girardi about? Where has all the offensive expectations gone? The fact that everyone continues to get all over this guy is beyond me. Take a look at how many odd man rushes he's prevented. All of the shots he's blocked (leads the team in this statistic, by the way).

Old
02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Girardi? In a heartbeat.

Sanguinetti? Depends on what the Rangers are getting, but, my inclination is "no".
Agreed.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
This, for all of you anti-Girardi fans.

Why are you not getting on Gilroy? Is he a better "shut down" defenseman than Girardi? Is he the physical player everyone gets all over Girardi about? Where has all the offensive expectations gone? The fact that everyone continues to get all over this guy is beyond me. Take a look at how many odd man rushes he's prevented. All of the shots he's blocked (leads the team in this statistic, by the way).
Gilroy is a rookie.

Girardi is in his 4th season.

And people get on Gilroy for not being physical all the time.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Gilroy is a rookie.

Girardi is in his 4th season.

And people get on Gilroy for not being physical all the time.
An underperforming rookie at $3.5m.

How is Staal's game significantly different than Girardi's that we're ready to run Girardi out of town, but not Staal? How has the offensive experiment gone with Staal? Girardi at least HAS a shot from the point. Like Staal, Girardi is a defensive defenseman. He's fairly consistent in his play. Does he have the (potential) upside like Staal has? Probably not. But that shouldn't inspire us to dismiss the fact that he's a top 4 D.

As for all this "physical" crap, this is hockey, not football. As a defenseman, lowering your shoulder and charging the puck handler is not the only way to take your man out of the play. You take your man out of the play by taking away their passing/shooting lane and minimizing the amount of space they have on ice. Girardi, like Staal, are excellent at that.

Old
02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

i would move both of them for a top pairing DD.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

i wish we still had mara
The guy who cant make a break-out pass? The guy who takes a ton of holding and interference penalties because he is too slow? Interesting.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

How is Staal's game significantly different than Girardi's that we're ready to run Girardi out of town, but not Staal? How has the offensive experiment gone with Staal? Girardi at least HAS a shot from the point. Like Staal, Girardi is a defensive defenseman. He's fairly consistent in his play. Does he have the (potential) upside like Staal has? Probably not. But that shouldn't inspire us to dismiss the fact that he's a top 4 D.

As for all this "physical" crap, this is hockey, not football. As a defenseman, lowering your shoulder and charging the puck handler is not the only way to take your man out of the play. You take your man out of the play by taking away their passing/shooting lane and minimizing the amount of space they have on ice. Girardi, like Staal, are excellent at that.
girardi... 6'2 215 lbs but plays like hes 5'6 170. hes not very offensive and hes not very defensive. and plays with absolutly no toughness for a guy his size. you could make the same argument with staal (except staal of course is more defensive), however staal is supposed to have "huge potential". imo we have the wrong staal 4 years in the league and still really hasnt shown me any dominace at all. but if it comes down to it i keep staal and trade girardi before the deadline.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 02-07-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old
02-07-2010, 11:39 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The guy who cant make a break-out pass? The guy who takes a ton of holding and interference penalties because he is too slow? Interesting.
the guy who had heart, stood up for teammates, played tough in front of henrik. it is interesting. for the rangers jeff beukeboom never had more than 17 assists. guess he sucked. ownage

Old
02-08-2010, 12:04 AM
In The Flesh

Half of this fanbase is a joke. Everyone whines and cries Sather makes the worst signings come July 1st, but every year most of the same folks call to bring in more. Talk about oxymoron.

Would I trade Girardi and Sangs?, yea sure, they're not untouchable, I'd trade Staal too.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:09 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Nobody is safe from the chopping block if say OV or Thornton is on the other end, but of course that isn't realistic, just exemplifying principal.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:47 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
girardi... 6'2 215 lbs but plays like hes 5'6 170. hes not very offensive and hes not very defensive. and plays with absolutly no toughness for a guy his size. you could make the same argument with staal (except staal of course is more defensive), however staal is supposed to have "huge potential". imo we have the wrong staal 4 years in the league and still really hasnt shown me any dominace at all. but if it comes down to it i keep staal and trade girardi before the deadline.
While I totally agree with you, you've just illustrated the point I've been making all this time. We are quick to dismiss Girardi's game because "Staal is better". Is Staal a better defenseman than Girardi? Absolutely. But that shouldn't diminish how solid of a defenseman Girardi is. He is our next best defenseman outside of Staal. Why is everyone so eager to trade this guy??? Is he making the whopping $ the guys around him are making? At $2-3m, he's a very good defensive asset.

Note to all anti-Girardi fans: You don't question Girardi's defensive game but want to get rid of him at $2-3m because of his lack of physicality? Here's my suggestion: lets bring back Darius Kasparaitis. That should solve your "Check first, play intelligent defense, second." problem you are having.

Pathetic.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:56 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
While I totally agree with you, you've just illustrated the point I've been making all this time. We are quick to dismiss Girardi's game because "Staal is better". Is Staal a better defenseman than Girardi? Absolutely. But that shouldn't diminish how solid of a defenseman Girardi is. He is our next best defenseman outside of Staal. Why is everyone so eager to trade this guy??? Is he making the whopping $ the guys around him are making? At $2-3m, he's a very good defensive asset.

Note to all anti-Girardi fans: You don't question Girardi's defensive game but want to get rid of him at $2-3m because of his lack of physicality? Here's my suggestion: lets bring back Darius Kasparaitis. That should solve your "Check first, play intelligent defense, second." problem you are having.

Pathetic.
only because our other dmen are rookies and the others are redden and rozsival.

so because those of us who want to get rid of girardi because we are not satisifed with the way he plays, we are pathetic. signing girardi would be another step toward more mediocre play. at least we have hope in staals potential. wanting to get rid of a guy because he is at best average is not pathetic, its logical.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:15 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
only because our other dmen are rookies and the others are redden and rozsival.

so because those of us who want to get rid of girardi because we are not satisifed with the way he plays, we are pathetic. signing girardi would be another step toward more mediocre play. at least we have hope in staals potential. wanting to get rid of a guy because he is at best average is not pathetic, its logical.
No, criticizing a player who is consistent defensively, over his lack of physical play, is pathetic. Please, convince me how Staal is significantly better than Girardi. You argue that Girardi's game hasn't vastly improved thus far in his 4yr tenure with the Rangers? How has Staal's game progressed? How did the offensive experiment work out? We put Staal on this legendary/untouchable pedestal because of his last name. Is he more "reliable" defensively? Sure. But just because player a is better than player b, that doesn't mean we should dismiss the other player. That's all I'm saying.

He is the least of our problems. On a championship defensive roster, would Girardi be on the top pair? Probably not. But again, that shouldn't mean that he is defensively inept. That's the logic I am arguing.

I agree with you and everybody else that Staal is better and has more upside than Girardi. But outside of Staal, Girardi IS OUR BEST DEFENSEMAN. Why everyone is so quick to run him out of town, I don't understand. Its not like he has a Rozy/Redden type of contract.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:17 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
No, criticizing a player who is consistent defensively, over his lack of physical play, is pathetic. Please, convince me how Staal is significantly better than Girardi. You argue that Girardi's game hasn't vastly improved thus far in his 4yr tenure with the Rangers? How has Staal's game progressed? How did the offensive experiment work out? We put Staal on this legendary/untouchable pedestal because of his last name. Is he more "reliable" defensively? Sure. But just because player a is better than player b, that doesn't mean we should dismiss the other player. That's all I'm saying.

He is the least of our problems. On a championship defensive roster, would Girardi be on the top pair? Probably not. But again, that shouldn't mean that he is defensively inept. That's the logic I am arguing.

I agree with you and everybody else that Staal is better and has more upside than Girardi. But outside of Staal, Girardi IS OUR BEST DEFENSEMAN. Why everyone is so quick to run him out of town, I don't understand. Its not like he has a Rozy/Redden type of contract.
i never said staal is significantly better than girardi. i said if i had to keep one it would be staal. staal himself needs to play better. and you keep staal over girardi because staal has the potential to be a shut down number 1 dman. and you said yourself girardi is not as good. girardi is only the 2nd best dman on this team because two are rookies and the other two should be playing in hartford. its not really a compliment to girardi, it just shows how bad/ inexpierenced our dmen are. and as far as the offense experiment goes, yes it failed and staal still has more points than girardi.

so is he defensively inempt, no not exactly but does he deserve a contract... imo no he doesn't. i'm not running him out of town but his time is up he doesn't impress me hes at best a 2nd pairing guy and we def need a tough dman and since everyone else is locked up and i choose staal over him hes out. if i'm not going to sign him, i trade him.

Old
02-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Gilroy, Brashear for Brunnstrom, Skrastins

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

First off: Gilroy doesn't make $3.5m, and there's hardly a such thing as an underachieving rookie. Gilroy makes $1.75. He was given that contract because of college achievements. Is Wade Redden criticized for accepting a $6.5 offer? No. Sather is. Nobody expected him to come into the NHL, right after college, only a few years after turning into a defenseman, to light the lamp. Give it time. He's doing a lot less negative things out there then then double R's or Girardi.

Second off: Never compare Girardi to Staal again. Girardi doesn't have a shot from the point. You mean that awful wrister that gets blocked 9/10 times or is shot with such little velocity that it can be compared to Wade "weak" Redden's? Give me a ****ing break. None of our defensemen have a "shot" from the blueline. And the defense is unmatched in both physical play and actual results between the two. Girardi has been terrible for months and had the same stretch last year during the middle of the season. We don't need any of that nonsense. What's more: around the league, he might still have value. Before payday, it'd be good to trade him up for some assets. And he's only a top 4 D on this team.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Some of you guys crack me the hell up. Right after we drafted Bobby everyone was all excited about him and wouldn't trade him for anything.

Now...just because he is 21 and hasn't turned into Mike Green yet half of you want to trade him.

Talk about ridiculous expectations...

Why don't we trade Grachev, Stepan, Kreider and Werek too because they didn't come in right after their draft year and notch 100 points...
Not entirely true... the fact that our D stable is deep makes those prospects somewhat expendable... or more accurately... bargaining chips with which we can bolster (hopefully) other areas of the team that need it... like say EVERYTHING EXCEPT GOALIE AND 1ST LINE RW.

I'm not advocating trading Sangs... or any other prospect but it's part of the building process. With MDZ presence... other D prospects could be moved for other missing pieces.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Girardi is a physical defenseman. I don't know why some of you people are having trouble grasping that.

There is a difference between throwing punches and being physical.

I dont want to end up with some scrub like Orpik or Komisarek for big money because people could be happy with what they had.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This is a silly thread. Tell me what I'm getting back and I'll tell you whether or not I'd be willing to make the deal. I mean, if I'm the Caps and I have Ovechkin, I'd be willing to move him... if the Pens offer Crosby and Malkin. Everything is relative.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
ogie

Would you trade girardi and sanguinetti? ..for the right price ..yes

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Fletch

Fitzy...

I think Girardi can be physical. His problem is playing the game at a high level game-in and game-out. Too often the physical game isn't played and too often we see him getting beat. His consistency is my biggest beef with him and why to me he's pretty much an average defenseman.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think Girardi can be physical. His problem is playing the game at a high level game-in and game-out. Too often the physical game isn't played and too often we see him getting beat. His consistency is my biggest beef with him and why to me he's pretty much an average defenseman.
Spot on, Fletch.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote