HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Florida wants a Tough vet who fights

Old
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if i had my way, we wouldnt have prust, orr or brashear.

id rather have Chris Neil on this team.

Fighting is overrated. Hitting is not.
Neil is an Animal. I would take him & Prust & drop lisin.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
chip chipperson*

it isnt going to be brashear. hartford doesnt even want him

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
It is guys like you who give me nightmares.
Yes. Guys like me who love tough hockey and big hits. Guys who like fighting (but don't miss the garbage hockey of the 70s where it was a joke).

You are not a hockey fan. You are a fight fan. End of story.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
you cant afford to waste roster spots on fighters. Middleweights, like Prust I suppose, are worth it, as long as they can play the game, Prust seems like hes not a waste of space, which is good, but for him to take the next step, he needs to be an active hitter.

Hitting>Fighting

Goal Scoring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hitting>Fighting
i agree the team def needs to hit more and id like to see that more than fighting, but dont under estimate what a fight can do for a club. if a heavyweight goes out on the ice and looks for a fight it can turn the whole game around. its not a waste to have a heavy weight like orr on your team.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
John Torturella

Well we dont have any tough veterans, so unless your gonna trade Prust this is pointless.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
right, and show me where this bears out in championships, standings, winning percentage or anything besides your head since the lockout?

Stanley Cup Finals since the lockout, the number in parenthesis is where they ranked in terms of fighting majors, IE, higher = more fights, lower = fewer fights...
Carolina (3) VS Edmonton (13)
Anaheim (30) VS Ottawa (12)
Detroit (1) VS Pittsburgh (21)
Pittsburgh (8) VS Detroit (1)

Only once in the past 4 years has a team in the top 5 in fighting been in the finals...the average rank in terms of fewest fights over the past 4 years? 11, basically the bottom 3rd.

Why? because goons dont get you goals, and it takes goals to win hockey games. Intimidation means absolutely nothing with the instigator rule in effect. An effective power play is far more important, as is hitting. Legal, physicality is a billion times more important than fighting. Fighting is almost entirely useless in this day and age, and is basically a staged event that allows 1 guy from each team to earn his paycheck by doing absolutely nothing to the flow of the game on most nights.

A middleweight who can hit and play is a billion times more important than a heavyweight who can knock your teeth out.
The problem with your argument is you are looking at the number of fighting majors. What you should be looking at is how many of those teams have legitimate stars and how many of them do have a guy that COULD kick major ass should it be necessary. The answer is most of them.

It's not how many times you have fights, it's having a guy that could beat some serious ass if you decide to be a hot shot. I'd love to have a guy like Boogard (who job it was to protect Gabby in MIN) or Godard (who protects Crosby, btw) that the other team knows will destroy you if you play all tough with our star players. Instead teams like the Flyers know they can pop a few punches on Gabby because they know there's no retribution.

Here is Carcillo's EXACT quote after fighting Gabby.

When asked by Landsberg if he thought some of the Rangers should have come to the star's aid, Carcillo admitted that somebody should have stepped in.

"Yes, but I don't know which one of his linemates would have really done much. [Brandon] Dubinsky, we've fought before, he could have jumped in."

If that quote doesn't say it all, then I don't know what to tell you.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:06 PM
nanook of new jersey

Send a message via AIM to nanook of new jersey
brashear for a coat hanger

OR

brashear for a traffic cone

i think either one of those trades gives us a more effective hockey player

nanook of new jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
morffin

[QUOTE=nanook of new jersey;23740507]brashear for a coat hanger

OR

i think either one of those trades gives us a more effective hockey player[/QUOTE

Ill take the coat hanger... we already have a few traffic cones ... they wear numbers 6 and 33

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook of new jersey View Post

OR

i think either one of those trades gives us a more effective hockey player
[quote=morffin;23740760]
Quote:

OR

i think either one of those trades gives us a more effective hockey player[/QUOTE

Ill take the coat hanger... we already have a few traffic cones ... they wear numbers 6 and 33
You want Malik back!?

Old
02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

[QUOTE=morffin;23740760]
Quote:

OR

Done.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
You guys make me laugh. Most of you if not 95% of you have never had a fight or played a team sport and you bash pro athletes like they are pansies and sissys. Brashear would kick 99% of our ***** right now. Kill him for sucking but not for fighting he has fought and lost but he tried. Voros on the other hand would only beat 44% as he would fall down and the pile would crush him

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You guys make me laugh. Most of you if not 95% of you have never had a fight or played a team sport and you bash pro athletes like they are pansies and sissys. Brashear would kick 99% of our ***** right now. Kill him for sucking but not for fighting he has fought and lost but he tried. Voros on the other hand would only beat 44% as he would fall down and the pile would crush him

I don't think bringing up wether Brashear or Voros could beat the forum members up in a fight is relavant. We are discussing how effective Brashear is as a Hockey player at this stage of his career.

To this point Brashear has not been effective at all in the role he was bought here to fill. Yes, Brashear has tried....but it's obvious time has caught up with him he isn't working out.

Voros tries, but he is what he is.

Old
02-07-2010, 11:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Dagoon, I think a 4th line of Neil-Boyle-Prust would be a very effective unit for deterring other teams. I see your point about needing a heavy but I dont think it needs to be all the time. I see guys like Rypien, Neil and Prust as very exciting players who can hit, add some offense and fight which to me is more exciting than watching one goon go after another(although I do miss Orr).

Ideally of course players who can take care of business would be sprinkled throughout the lineup(Lucic, Getzlaf, Iginla) but those players are hard to come by. I am all for a "tough guy" but I am not for watching a player who brings very little else to the ice other than fighting. Boogard is a player who I think is better than people give him credit for in that regard because he hits, and hits like a truck. Brashear used to, not anymore. Laraque was the same way. Rupp is another good example like Boogard who can get in on the forecheck and handle himself while fighting.

I think the pure "goon" is going by the wayside because of the speed of the game, I think we will see players like Boogard and Rupp who can fight and handle themsevles but also get in on the forecheck and create havoc, which is why I see Neil, Rypien and Prust as very valuable in todays NHL.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Dagoon, I think a 4th line of Neil-Boyle-Prust would be a very effective unit for deterring other teams. I see your point about needing a heavy but I dont think it needs to be all the time. I see guys like Rypien, Neil and Prust as very exciting players who can hit, add some offense and fight which to me is more exciting than watching one goon go after another(although I do miss Orr).

Ideally of course players who can take care of business would be sprinkled throughout the lineup(Lucic, Getzlaf, Iginla) but those players are hard to come by. I am all for a "tough guy" but I am not for watching a player who brings very little else to the ice other than fighting. Boogard is a player who I think is better than people give him credit for in that regard because he hits, and hits like a truck. Brashear used to, not anymore. Laraque was the same way. Rupp is another good example like Boogard who can get in on the forecheck and handle himself while fighting.

I think the pure "goon" is going by the wayside because of the speed of the game, I think we will see players like Boogard and Rupp who can fight and handle themsevles but also get in on the forecheck and create havoc, which is why I see Neil, Rypien and Prust as very valuable in todays NHL.
I agree 100% a second middleweight would be fine. My point is not have a 2nd or a legit number1 is not safe with the teams we play. Did anyone notice how Peters had no fear going after Prust? This is my point a middleweight scares no one

Old
02-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
If Colton Orr, Eric Godard, and Derrick Boogard are not "super goons" then I don't know what they are, because they sure as hell aren't hockey players. A goon doesn't stop Gaborik from getting beat up by Carcillo, just like Andrew Peters didn't stop Avery from getting under Kovalchuk's skin last night.

It's really never been about initially stopping anything. It's about having an appropriate response when teams do run your players or jump your star players; like what happened to Gaborik.

If we had a heavyweight in the lineup, he could have gone after chickensh*t and beat the crap out him

Someone should have beat the piss out of Chickensh*t. And the Rangers players should have targeted Briere and Richards with nasty, aggressive hits.......all game long.

Give me one Colton Orr or one McIntyre.......and two of Prust/Torres or Neil, every night.

Then, you have a team that will hammer and crush any opponent physically, as well as putting up some goals/points.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
You're right. I'll bet 95% of these people never, ever had a real fight.

But who are you kidding?

Voros would kick the crap out of every member of this forum or any other forum.

Brashear, too.

Sports fans are delusional. The worst fighter in the NHL would kick the living crap out of the best figther of that 5%.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Wish we had Orr...he just destroyed Carkner...can't believe Tort's let Orr go and wanted Brashear...what does that say about Tort's senses.

My nightmare will last forever.
horror of a signing. Its not like Brash has another dimension to him.
I hated that signing then and its not getting any better with time....

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:41 AM
pwoz

Brashear probably has a NMC.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
You're right. I'll bet 95% of these people never, ever had a real fight.

But who are you kidding?

Brashear, too.

Sports fans are delusional. The worst fighter in the NHL would kick the living crap out of the best figther of that 5%.
That's a tasty comment, especially when we just never know for certain who posts here.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
How about brashear for a used puck
Ill throw in Voros and Pismiller

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
And Wade Redden would skate circles around 100% of this forum. Does that mean he's a valuable asset to the Rangers organization?

Fighting is necessary but only from players that can contribute on the ice as well. Mark Messier would have stepped in and pummeled Carcillo. So would have Beukeboom. So would have Graves. So would have Sandy McCarthy. So would have Todd Harvey. Those are the kinds of players you need. You need guys who can contribute to the actual play but will also not be hesitant to step in when necessary. Wasting cap space and a roster spot on the Dale Purinton's and Donald Brashear's of the world are not going to get this team anywhere.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And Wade Redden would skate circles around 100% of this forum. Does that mean he's a valuable asset to the Rangers organization?

Fighting is necessary but only from players that can contribute on the ice as well. Mark Messier would have stepped in and pummeled Carcillo. So would have Beukeboom. So would have Graves. So would have Sandy McCarthy. So would have Todd Harvey. Those are the kinds of players you need. You need guys who can contribute to the actual play but will also not be hesitant to step in when necessary. Wasting cap space and a roster spot on the Dale Purinton's and Donald Brashear's of the world are not going to get this team anywhere.
The reason Dale was A Ranger so long was because Messier loved him and he respected the kid and what he did. Messier insisted on a heavyweight on his teams look it up

Old
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Thats a good point Dagoon, and I agree.

Id be even more inclined to agree if this were coming from a poster that doesnt incessantly bash Henrik Lundqvist and other players that actually possess talent.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Brashear would kick 99% of our ***** right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post

Brashear, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
That's a tasty comment, especially when we just never know for certain who posts here.
Is Pros vs. Joes still on the air? Donald Brashear vs. four HFers. Let's get it on.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:45 AM
94now

Florida could pick Strudwick at deadline. Much better choice than Brash.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote