HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery, sore left hip (February 7 update -- post #44)

Old
02-07-2010, 03:04 PM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Lukko and Homer will lock up this stiff. Hey ray how about you actually train like a pro.....
Because you know how he trains.
It's sickening how many ignorant posts there were the last little while about Emery.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 03:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

What is it with this franchise and players suffering significant groin, ab and hip injuries? I don't think I've seen any other franchise suffer from these kinds of things as frequently as the Flyers do. Honest to goodness, this is just getting out of line. Why Snider and Holmgren don't see it is completely beyond me. Just wait until the off season when the list of players who need surgery comes out. Something has got to give.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What is it with this franchise and players suffering significant groin, ab and hip injuries? I don't think I've seen any other franchise suffer from these kinds of things as frequently as the Flyers do. Honest to goodness, this is just getting out of line. Why Snider and Holmgren don't see it is completely beyond me. Just wait until the off season when the list of players who need surgery comes out. Something has got to give.
Hip issues for goalies since the advent of the butterfly is nothing new.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 03:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Lukko and Homer will lock up this stiff. Hey ray how about you actually train like a pro.....
Emery is one of the best conditioned athletes in the league. I've had the opportunity to see him train in Ottawa and his training regimen is something off the chart. Remember how they said Jerry Rice's program was so intense that most athletes vomit after trying his workout routine? Well, welcome to how Emery trains.

Old
02-07-2010, 03:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hip issues for goalies since the advent of the butterfly is nothing new.
But it's not just goaltenders in Philadelphia that have had hip issues. We're also talking forwards (Gagne) and defensemen (Coburn, Jones, Parent). On top of that, who was the last butterfly goalie that was out with a hip injury this year? Exactly. I'm telling you, something is not right with that medical and training staff. The number of injuries, and significant injuries at that, that occur with this franchise is off the chart when compared to other franchises. Maybe it's just me, but it's something that is definitely concerning.

Old
02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
For as many injury problems as this team has had, they've stayed out of trouble as far as goaltending injuries. How often have goalies get injured for this team? They usually don't miss more than a few games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
But it's not just goaltenders in Philadelphia that have had hip issues. We're also talking forwards (Gagne) and defensemen (Coburn, Jones, Parent). On top of that, who was the last butterfly goalie that was out with a hip injury this year? Exactly.
Guys all over the NHL have hip issues. Dion Phaneuf had hip issues all last season. Skating is not a natural motion. The hip is just not designed well for rotating and striding at the same time.

The last team we played (the Wild) had their starter miss games at the beginning of the year due to hip issues. His back up (Josh Harding) just jacked his hip up the game before we played them. I'm sure if I wanted to look harder I could find plenty more examples.

Though your essential point (about the medical staff) is a probably a fair one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
For as many injury problems as this team has had, they've stayed out of trouble as far as goal tending injuries. How often have goalies get injured for this team? They usually don't miss more than a few games.
A big reason Niittymaki has two bum hips right now. Dude needed to miss some more games.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Emery is one of the best conditioned athletes in the league. I've had the opportunity to see him train in Ottawa and his training regimen is something off the chart. Remember how they said Jerry Rice's program was so intense that most athletes vomit after trying his workout routine? Well, welcome to how Emery trains.
I can't say I know much about Rice's program, but it may not necessarily be the best thing for a goalie.

Athletic training for goalies is VERY different than almost any other athlete. It has a lot less to do with certain types of strength and tons to do with flexibility and mobility.

So, while I don't know what that training regimen may consist of, it is possible that it's actually hurting his ability to be durable as a goaltender.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I can't say I know much about Rice's program, but it may not necessarily be the best thing for a goalie.

Athletic training for goalies is VERY different than almost any other athlete. It has a lot less to do with certain types of strength and tons to do with flexibility and mobility.

So, while I don't know what that training regimen may consist of, it is possible that it's actually hurting his ability to be durable as a goaltender.
The best way to sum up Jerry Rice's training regimen is probably best described as the P90X training, but instead of doing all the exercises over a six day span, you're doing them all within two hours. And if you've never seen the P90X training routine, it's absolutely nuts. I know people in the London area here who use it for training for baseball in the spring and then they start again in the fall for hockey and they say it's the absolute toughest training regimen they've ever done.

Old
02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
mtxed

Emery playing Tuesday?

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
Emery playing Tuesday?
The Flyers don't play Tuesday. He will be re-evaluated by doctors tomorrow (Monday) for Monday night's game.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Flyers play Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

I'm hoping to see Emery on Wednesday and Saturday.

I'd also like him to get a lot of rest in the following 2 weeks.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:16 AM
panayiotis

ottawa days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
Joint problems have nothing to do with "training like a pro". In fact, joint problems often arise from such training and competing. Not in all players, but id say most.
Look guy was lazy in Ottawa. He had terrible habits in practice and off-ice. I am sure this leopard has not changed his spots. Goalie getting a ab-injury...Wow!!!that is a new one..He is not the answer in nets. But Homer and Lukko are working on some great contract extension..

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

A big reason Niittymaki has two bum hips right now. Dude needed to miss some more games.
Has Niittymaki had any medical issues at all since he signed with TB?

I am not sure if I am good with these hip injections that Holmgren calls a "lubricant"

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:31 AM
panayiotis

get serious

Quote:
You must be kidding comparing a stiff like the razor to champ like Rice. Rice never took a play off during practice. razor was too hung over to actually bother to show up. Please..dont make me laugh. send him back to the khl...Oh yeah! How many games has he missed and where does he rank in sv%? Both useless stats...

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Has Niittymaki had any medical issues at all since he signed with TB?

I am not sure if I am good with these hip injections that Holmgren calls a "lubricant"
I honestly don't know. From the sounds of it he is going to be playing through some discomfort for the remainder of his career.

There is really only one thing to do when you tear your labrum in the middle of the season as a goalie: get it repaired. If it is the middle of the play offs, you can probably tough it out till the end. Anything longer than that and you're just shredding the **** out of all the soft tissue and cartilage and structurally important stuff in the hip (I don't care how much Cortisone you put in there).

Old
02-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Because you know how he trains.
It's sickening how many ignorant posts there were the last little while about Emery.
I can tell from watching him play that he doesn't stretch his legs/lower core how an NHL goalie should be stretching.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I honestly don't know. From the sounds of it he is going to be playing through some discomfort for the remainder of his career.

There is really only one thing to do when you tear your labrum in the middle of the season as a goalie: get it repaired. If it is the middle of the play offs, you can probably tough it out till the end. Anything longer than that and you're just shredding the **** out of all the soft tissue and cartilage and structurally important stuff in the hip (I don't care how much Cortisone you put in there).
just another instance where you have to question some of the decisions of the medical staff.
Of course its not just them, its up to the player to say something instead of risking permanant injury.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:03 AM
KaraLupin
카라

You guys are blowing it up. I bet he plays Monday or the game after that. LOL.

and to the people questioning Emery, this dude does alot of training, go look @ a post game video where he has no gear on, dude is ripped.

Stretching on the other hand, who knows....

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Lifting is different than being in perfect hockey condition. not saying i know anything about emery's workout plan or how he trains, but there is a distinct difference. Emery's heart or desire is not in question to me. It seems like the guy really wants to win and likes playing. I'd be perfectly comfortable with him being our goalie the next couple of years as long as he can stay healthy...

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Scoopyten

Emery MRI (more info post #18)

AnthonySan37

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...onys/blog.html

Quote:
Ray Emery may have a torn labrum in his hip, but the Flyers think he can play out the season and have surgery - if needed - in the summer.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-08-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

And... we need a starting goalie...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cleary84

He's no Chase Utley.

Trade for Halak/Price.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flyguy_1ca

Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
*face palm* looks like Leighton in the playoffs....assuming we make them........ugh

Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Carey Price for Gagne and Coburn

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote