HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston-Philly Trade

Old
02-08-2010, 02:38 AM
panayiotis

vCash: 500
Boston-Philly Trade

Hartnell and Razor for Thomas and a second round pick...salaries match...

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
5' 10.5'', 35 year old, reflex goalie signed for 3 years at 5 million....I would shy away from that.

The Flyers need to distribute their money more evenly, not become more top heavy cap wise. Trading two roster players and using that space to fill one spot isn't a great idea. Plus they already have a guy in Lucic who brings everything Hartnell is right now.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Is Boston regretting signing Thomas less than a year after doing so? My Bruins fan buddy was visiting me for spring break last year and was babbling on and on about how necessary it was to resign him.

Or is it more of Rask delivering on his potential?

Age worries me in regards to Thomas. However, he only has 240 some odd starts in the NHL so there is probably more tread on the tires compared to most at his age.

I would have to think about that trade for a while if I was Homer, but my inclination is pass.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Is Boston regretting signing Thomas less than a year after doing so? My Bruins fan buddy was visiting me for spring break last year and was babbling on and on about how necessary it was to resign him.

Or is it more of Rask delivering on his potential?

Age worries me in regards to Thomas. However, he only has 240 some odd starts in the NHL so there is probably more tread on the tires compared to most at his age.

I would have to think about that trade for a while if I was Homer, but my inclination is pass.
He played in Europe for a while and has been playing since he was drafted in 94 (pretty sure that was the year). He is a legit 35 years old. Looks to be pretty in shape though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
He played in Europe for a while and has been playing since he was drafted in 94 (pretty sure that was the year). He is a legit 35 years old. Looks to be pretty in shape though.
Yeah I was checking his Wiki page out as well. Looks like he was drafted in 94 and played college hockey until 97. Still doesn't look like he's suffered through the amount of games some of the longstanding mid-30's NHL goalies have. But I agree, the fact that he's gonna be 36 in April is disconcerting. Probably to the extent where this trade wouldn't happen.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Kaktus*

I consider Thomas the luckies goaltender in the NHL. I do not care that he won something last year. Seems like most of his saves are pure luck..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I wouldn't want him for 3 mill for the next 3 years.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Cleary84

Throw in the Leafs' first and we'll talk

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I consider Thomas the luckies goaltender in the NHL. I do not care that he won something last year. Seems like most of his saves are pure luck..
Hes unorthodox for sure, but I can't say he wouldn't be an upgrade. The cost is what scares me, is he available because of the emergence of Rask, or is his body starting to break down because of last year's work load?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Hes unorthodox for sure, but I can't say he wouldn't be an upgrade. The cost is what scares me, is he available because of the emergence of Rask, or is his body starting to break down because of last year's work load?
Purely Rask is making Bruins fans want him to start. Both goalies have had it tough this year...

3-0 W
3-2 SOL
3-2 SOL
4-1 L (EN Goal)
3-2 SOL
2-1 L
5-1 L
2-1 L
3-2 L
5-1 L
4-3 SOL
2-1 L
4-3 L
3-1 L (EN goal)
5-2 L

In the last 15 games, the Bruins have scored 2 or less 12 times! They are not putting up wins and the goalies have had to stand on their heads to win games. As a result, the loss columns on Thomas and Rask look bad, but just looking at the final scores alone, not the gameplay, you can easily see how both goalies are having good years with terrible help from Boston's offense.

The Winter Classic was the only home game the Bruins won this year so far in 2010...

Thomas is only being talked about because Rask is the goalie of the future in Boston and is playing well. Once Thomas gets a start and steals a couple for Boston everyone will drop the talk.

As far as Bruins and Philly trades, you'd think it would be Thomas and a pick (2nd rounder) or Thomas straight up for one of the aging wingers in Philly like Gagne.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Purely Rask is making Bruins fans want him to start. Both goalies have had it tough this year...

3-0 W
3-2 SOL
3-2 SOL
4-1 L (EN Goal)
3-2 SOL
2-1 L
5-1 L
2-1 L
3-2 L
5-1 L
4-3 SOL
2-1 L
4-3 L
3-1 L (EN goal)
5-2 L

In the last 15 games, the Bruins have scored 2 or less 12 times! They are not putting up wins and the goalies have had to stand on their heads to win games. As a result, the loss columns on Thomas and Rask look bad, but just looking at the final scores alone, not the gameplay, you can easily see how both goalies are having good years with terrible help from Boston's offense.

The Winter Classic was the only home game the Bruins won this year so far in 2010...

Thomas is only being talked about because Rask is the goalie of the future in Boston and is playing well. Once Thomas gets a start and steals a couple for Boston everyone will drop the talk.

As far as Bruins and Philly trades, you'd think it would be Thomas and a pick (2nd rounder) or Thomas straight up for one of the aging wingers in Philly like Gagne.
I think the Flyers would have to give Briere for it to make any sense, and I don't see Boston doing that so close to the cap. Who knows if Sather can trade Gomez I guess anything can happen.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Hartnell and Razor for Thomas and a second round pick...salaries match...
If Thomas wasn't on an over 35 contract, I'd do this without a second thought.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Still, our problem is scoring goals right now. So trading away someone who COULD change that for a goalie wouldnt help this team right now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Still, our problem is scoring goals right now. So trading away someone who COULD change that for a goalie wouldnt help this team right now.
The only thing that would help this team right now is a series of plane crashes involving the team charters of Washington, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Ottawa.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote