HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The "make your glossy shaft sticky" thread

Old
02-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
The "make your glossy shaft sticky" thread

Okay Wednesday night I broke my favorite blade for my Harrow shaft (used the same blade since April of last year I might add), it is a tapered shaft. My backup harrow shaft has a blade pattern I don't like in it. So with both fave sticks out of comission for a few days until I buy two new tapered blades I DO like I used my two cheap backup standard taper Bauer One55 shafts today.

The trouble was my Harrows have a rubber type finish and an awesome grip from it I like. The cheap One55 bauer shafts do not, they are shiny and glossy.

I did not want to spray something sticky on them to make them tacky or do the candy cane tape job as then the shaft feels too thick. I taped my shafts for my aluminums for years but those were thinner shafts.

I had a brainstorm ... I used a cold hot glue stick. I just rubbed the butt end of the glue stick (again the glue is cold and not hot!) and it left a nice coating of sticky silicon glue and made for a perfect grip. A grip not too sticky and sticky enough as to not be glossy.

After using it for 3 hours today I had no residue stuck to the palm of the glove so it stayed on the stick nicely. The glue on the shaft is somewhat not seen by other people if you care baout that stuff. it did get some dirty discolor a little bit though.

This may not be for everyone but it sure worked nicely for me today. I am also going to do the same thing on the grip of my baseball bats though when it is hot out it may get to sticky from the heat but for hockey it was perfect.

Well anyway ....

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:59 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

the title of this thread is just so wrong LOL

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:22 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

There's an easy solution for this that I've used before. Wrap tape all the way down the area you want to be sticky, leave it there for a few days, then take it off. The result will be a sticky grip that can be removed and won't harm the aesthetics much.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
There's an easy solution for this that I've used before. Wrap tape all the way down the area you want to be sticky, leave it there for a few days, then take it off. The result will be a sticky grip that can be removed and won't harm the aesthetics much.
That is a good idea, I bet white tape would be the best for that too.

In any case the glue stick thing I mentioned above worked for me because i don't want a sticky grip but just some grip. It feels more like a rubber type sticky coating than something sticky sticky. The glove slides on it easily yet offers good grip.

If someone wants really sticky then your way is THE way to go for sure. I may try that out sometime in the future if i feel a need for sticky sticky.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:48 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
That is a good idea, I bet white tape would be the best for that too.

In any case the glue stick thing I mentioned above worked for me because i don't want a sticky grip but just some grip. It feels more like a rubber type sticky coating than something sticky sticky. The glove slides on it easily yet offers good grip.

If someone wants really sticky then your way is THE way to go for sure. I may try that out sometime in the future if i feel a need for sticky sticky.
I prefer less than a very sticky grip, so I'll do what I said above, then scrub part of it off to get a moderate level of grip

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:10 AM
HowToHockey

I wonder if putting the tape on, then heating it up with a heat gun or blow dryer and then taking it off would let you do the whole process in a matter of minutes??

Good idea, maybe spill pop on the shaft, it works on my coffee table

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I wonder if putting the tape on, then heating it up with a heat gun or blow dryer and then taking it off would let you do the whole process in a matter of minutes??

Good idea, maybe spill pop on the shaft, it works on my coffee table
It probably would be good to use a heat gun and then after cooling peel the white tape off. it sure leaves a mess on my blades when I retape them.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
flyersguy33*

Ok this is going to sound totally wrong but stick with me. Just get anything and wrap hockey tape around it. Then just rub the tape on the shaft and it should make it sticky. I've seen plenty of people do this and tried it once myself and it works.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:38 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
^Yup, called a sticky roll. You'll still find a bunch of them already made up in pro equipment rooms. Usually a length from an old broken stick, and you wrap tape on, then flip it sticky side out and built up a layer or two, then flip it back around and anchor the roll.

Of course, as somebody who uses a very light grip at most and prefers a textured stick with a clear coating, my question is why would you want to?

Not serious of course.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:17 PM
hockeyisgr8

I tried a clear spray on non-skid product made by Krylon. It looked great at first. It put on a coarse type finish, better than nothing but its starting to flake off. I wouldn't recommend this. Guess I'll try the glue stick trick. All I accomplished so far is messing up my new One95. I usually buy the grip versions but this stick was a pro-stock on sale for 100 bucks. Couldn't pass it up!

hockeyisgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Pog Form

I used to use wax whenever I had a shaft with a glossy finish.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Just get some baby oil and rub that shaft down.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Just get some baby oil and rub that shaft down.
Never heard of that before. I've seen baby powder used before though.

In other news since this thread got bumped up I have decided not to use glue sticks anymore mainly because it doesn't really hold its tackiness. I polishes somewhat from hands running on it and remains grippy sort of but not where I like it. It worked for a while and looked promising.

It comes off fairly easy with rubbing alcohol so no biggie.

Old
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33* View Post
Ok this is going to sound totally wrong but stick with me. Just get anything and wrap hockey tape around it. Then just rub the tape on the shaft and it should make it sticky. I've seen plenty of people do this and tried it once myself and it works.

This is the easiest and most effective. You can touch it up whenever you want to make it stickier. Just grab a piece of broken stick and wrap a bunch of hockey tape around it sticky side out. Leave some of the stick unwrapped as a handle and then rub it up and down your hockey stick. Voila'! A grip stick!

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote