HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

lol didn't watch the game

Old
02-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I understand all that and respect all Canadiens fans opinions when they tell me that overall Price is the better goalie. I am simply stating that Bruins fans would rather see Price in net over Halak. Why?

Because Price can be shaken up and distracted and is not as consistent in net. Sure you can post all the points you want, but as a Bruins fan I see Price in net, and I feel better about the Bruins chances when big games are on the line.

Halak turns it up and seems to focus on winning and nothing else, and when he is in his zone, it requires goals that are deflected by point shots OR by hitting his defensemen's sticks or legs. If not, he cannot be beaten cleanly.

Disagree all you want, I am merely telling you which goalie makes Bruins fans feel better about trying to win a game in Montreal.

Cheers!
Uhm... this is extremely "armchair" of you. Do you honestly believe that Boston fans know anything about the ability of either netminder? They like to pick on Price because he is our most highly touted player.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Uhm... this is extremely "armchair" of you. Do you honestly believe that Boston fans know anything about the ability of either netminder? They like to pick on Price because he is our most highly touted player.
Nope. I think most Montreal fans know MUCH more than I do about which goalie is better in the net and who will get them the wins when it matters. I think between the 10,000 of you, most of you on this HFBoard have reached a consensus. All I am saying is that when I see Price in net, I feel better about a win than I do when I see Halak in net. Halak makes you beat him with delfections and goals off the defenders/luck to win. Price can be beaten by scoring early and shaking his confidence. Maybe that is ONLY a Bruins game situation, but Halak is the goalie who looks better as a Bruins fan (which means little or no here).

As far as prospects, I have be strangely lucky enough in my previous years to see many Canadiens prospects play before and the one that scares me most is the one in your avatar picture, not Price!

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:59 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I understand all that and respect all Canadiens fans opinions when they tell me that overall Price is the better goalie. I am simply stating that Bruins fans would rather see Price in net over Halak. Why?

Because Price can be shaken up and distracted and is not as consistent in net. Sure you can post all the points you want, but as a Bruins fan I see Price in net, and I feel better about the Bruins chances when big games are on the line.

Halak turns it up and seems to focus on winning and nothing else, and when he is in his zone, it requires goals that are deflected by point shots OR by hitting his defensemen's sticks or legs. If not, he cannot be beaten cleanly.

Disagree all you want, I am merely telling you which goalie makes Bruins fans feel better about trying to win a game in Montreal.

Cheers!
I'd have to agree with you on the fact that price might have a higher potential and that, right now, halak is clearly better. you just have to compare their save % in the 1rst period to understand halak's ability to keep us in a hockey game early on ... of course, today's game will have me flammed, but it wont change the stat. price save % in the 1rst period is about ~ .888 and halak's is ~ .950 .

nothing lasts forever and maybe price will fight his way to achieve his potential ... but your pov is totally legitimate (no matter what youre told here), its hard to see gainey's ''no plan '' plan fail so miserably and realize that price might never become anything more than an average #1 goalie... fans got so hyped they can't even look at them play and agree on the fact that halak is having a better season ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
I'd have to agree with you on the fact that price might have a higher potential, but right now, halak is clearly better. you just have to compare their save % in the 1rst period to understand halak's ability to keep us in a hockey game early on ... of course, today's game will have me flammed, but it wont change the stat. price save % in the 1rst period is about ~ .888 and halak's is ~ .950 .

nothing lasts forever and maybe price will fight his way to achieve his potential ... but your pov is totally legitimate, its hard to see gainey's ''no plan '' plan fail so miserably and realize that price might never become anything more than an average #1 goalie... fans got so hyped they can't even look at them play and agree on the fact that halak is having a better season ...
Exactly. I wouldn't even presume to go past the Bruins games and the raw reaction to each goalie because most of you have seen each Canadiens game all year and could toss so many stats either way to refute my original statements. I am just telling you as an outside observer that Halak makes me cringe and worry about a loss where Price makes me feel optimistic about a win AS A BRUINS FAN.

When you add in the trade potential between the two I am optimistic that Gainey moves Halak for a minimal return compared to what he would get for Price and that makes me less worried as a Bruins fan about the Canadiens. Tonight was a great example of what it APPEARS to take to beat Halak: dirty goals off the defenders and digging for rebounds.

I can see how many fans say Price has more potential because he played for the Jrs. and was drafted higher and respect that, but at what point does Halak take over? I guess that's why Gainey is paid the big bucks to make these calls because it seems to be lose/lose for him right now unless Price steps up finally and steals the #1 back, right?

Old
02-08-2010, 02:10 AM
peachy

Quote:
I'd have to agree with you on the fact that price might have a higher potential and that, right now, halak is clearly better. you just have to compare their save % in the 1rst period to understand halak's ability to keep us in a hockey game early on ... of course, today's game will have me flammed, but it wont change the stat. price save % in the 1rst period is about ~ .888 and halak's is ~ .950 .

nothing lasts forever and maybe price will fight his way to achieve his potential ... but your pov is totally legitimate (no matter what youre told here), its hard to see gainey's ''no plan '' plan fail so miserably and realize that price might never become anything more than an average #1 goalie... fans got so hyped they can't even look at them play and agree on the fact that halak is having a better season ...
there are few people who will disagree with the fact that halak is having a better season. that's not the point. the point is, and someone has mentioned it in this thread, the double standard that applies when it comes to halak and price. when halak loses a game, it's fine, he kept the team in it, etc etc. when price loses a game, having played a similar game, it's his fault, he has a bad attitude, he's a bust. people are so intent on hating price that whenever others bring up this fact, they're branded "price lovers". its so stupid especially since price hasn't really done anything to deserve any of the **** thats being piled on him. he has respectable numbers, he's 22 years old ffs, hes warming the bench and has supported the team and halak and practicing hard, i mean can this kid do anything right???

its been said over and over again that goaltending is not an issue, yet we keep going back and *****ing about our goalies when we SHOULD be talking about our poor defensive coverage and inability to score even strength.

/rant

peachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:10 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Exactly. I wouldn't even presume to go past the Bruins games and the raw reaction to each goalie because most of you have seen each Canadiens game all year and could toss so many stats either way to refute my original statements. I am just telling you as an outside observer that Halak makes me cringe and worry about a loss where Price makes me feel optimistic about a win AS A BRUINS FAN.

When you add in the trade potential between the two I am optimistic that Gainey moves Halak for a minimal return compared to what he would get for Price and that makes me less worried as a Bruins fan about the Canadiens. Tonight was a great example of what it APPEARS to take to beat Halak: dirty goals off the defenders and digging for rebounds.

I can see how many fans say Price has more potential because he played for the Jrs. and was drafted higher and respect that, but at what point does Halak take over? I guess that's why Gainey is paid the big bucks to make these calls because it seems to be lose/lose for him right now unless Price steps up finally and steals the #1 back, right?
gainey sacrificed so much for price, he'd have to go if he ever changes his mind. and thats why he wont change his mind and move halak this summer ... which will be dumb and will have me cry. lmao.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:13 AM
peachy

Quote:

for a bruins fan, you sure do care a lot about the habs goaltending.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
gainey sacrificed so much for price, he'd have to go if he ever changes his mind. and thats why he wont change his mind and move halak this summer ... which will be dumb and will have me cry. lmao.
Such is the way for GM's in Montreal. They seem to live and die by the goalie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy View Post
for a bruins fan, you sure do care a lot about the habs goaltending.
Sure I do. Play against your hated rivals 6 times a year and four times in the playoffs in the last decade where Theadore single-handedly beat Boston out of a series and you begin to care about who you have to face.

Today was a game where I came to read the PGT and it was all about the goalies. I could not understand (win or lose) how Price's name was brought up, but after reading it became clear that people were still debating the issue. For me, (and most Bruins fans) it is clear who the goalie is that you don't want to face, but I guess the side issues that are around the goalies are much deeper than I imagined.

I didn't know that potential, attitude, off-ice issues, drama and GM preference were playing this large a role. Co-incidentally, I didn't know that saying a that seeing a Montreal goalie in net that makes Bruins fan nervous would make so many people upset. I thought the recent play of Halak had dictated otherwise and that he had won the role as starter in Montreal.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:21 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
there are few people who will disagree with the fact that halak is having a better season. that's not the point. the point is, and someone has mentioned it in this thread, the double standard that applies when it comes to halak and price. when halak loses a game, it's fine, he kept the team in it, etc etc. when price loses a game, having played a similar game, it's his fault, he has a bad attitude, he's a bust. people are so intent on hating price that whenever others bring up this fact, they're branded "price lovers". its so stupid especially since price hasn't really done anything to deserve any of the **** thats being piled on him. he has respectable numbers, he's 22 years old ffs, hes warming the bench and has supported the team and halak and practicing hard, i mean can this kid do anything right???

its been said over and over again that goaltending is not an issue, yet we keep going back and *****ing about our goalies when we SHOULD be talking about our poor defensive coverage and inability to score even strength.

/rant

if anything , price was hyped ... my opinion was based on what I saw on the ice ... that yeah, price lets in some soft goals... more than halak. what I find fun , is that having a preference for halak automatically means you hate price . halak never had a chance to be the top dog, and to be honest, Im curious about it because I like what I see ... and what I see is a goalie that either steals a game/plays solid ...or just plays a bad game every now and then ... but seeing him hold a standard during 60 minutes is amazing, whereas price's performance in one single hockey game can be like a rollercoaster. aint that the truth.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

A great example would be Habs fans looking at Thomas vs. Rask. Under recent circumstances most of you would say that Rask is the better goalie in Boston and most of you would rather see Boston play Thomas against Montreal. Well, Thomas has a playoff record of 7-4 against Montreal and numbers would indicate that Thomas is better than Rask against the Canadiens. BUT, as a fan I think many of you would agree that Rask is the goalie that seems to be more controlled against Montreal and can calmly win games against them. ON the other hand, Thomas seems to be a goalie who can be shaken up and beaten by the Canadiens and most of you would rather see him in net.

It is just your observation and opinion, and I would rather toss Rask at the Canadiens over Thomas.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:27 AM
peachy

Quote:
if anything , price was hyped ... my opinion was based on what I saw on the ice ... that yeah, price lets in some soft goals... more than halak. what I find fun , is that having a preference for halak automatically means you hate price . halak never had a chance to be the top dog, and to be honest, Im curious about it because I like what I see ... and what I see is a goalie that either steals a game/plays solid ...or just plays a bad game every now and then ... but seeing him hold a standard during 60 minutes is amazing, whereas price's performance in one single hockey game can be like a rollercoaster. aint that the truth.
people sure do have short memories. i can remember the times when price was lights out and halak wasn't. they're both young and inconsistent. halak has had a breakout year this year and it's fantastic and i think he should be the starter too, but it just seems to me that people on here, whether they are aware of it or not, can't praise one goalie without putting the other down.

price IS hyped up... however, again, that's not his fault. he didn't ask for it.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:39 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
people sure do have short memories. i can remember the times when price was lights out and halak wasn't. they're both young and inconsistent. halak has had a breakout year this year and it's fantastic and i think he should be the starter too, but it just seems to me that people on here, whether they are aware of it or not, can't praise one goalie without putting the other down.

price IS hyped up... however, again, that's not his fault. he didn't ask for it.
yes because people dont realize that they are comparing a goalie who had his chance to solidify his #1 role ...and one who hasnt had a chance to step in that role ... he never let us down (huet injury/price injury (trip out west last year), ect..) yet people are so reluctant to see him having a well deserved chance to prove himself... thats ridiculous... because those calling out the so called ''double standards'' are the ones bandwagoning for halak to be ripped off of this opportunity he created for himself, showing outstanding class and determination. if you dont reward that as an organization, you''ll be cursed.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 02-08-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old
02-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:

Is that the essence of this debate? Why can't Montreal just go with the hot goalie? Is it because they are both RFA's and many think that one has to go? Can Montreal afford them both?

Old
02-08-2010, 02:43 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
yes because people dont realize that they are comparing a goalie who had his chance to solidify his #1 role ...and one who hasnt had a chance to step in that role ... he never let us down (huet injury/price injury (trip out west last year), ect..) yet people are so reluctant to see him having a well deserved chance to prove himself... thats ridiculous... because those calling out the so called ''double standards'' are the ones bandwagoning for halak to be ripped off of this opportunity he created for himself.
Out here (in Vancouver) all I heard about on the talk radio and news / Canucks fans was how Halak stole the game and how Boston should be ready for the same...and he did exactly that last week. Tonight it took two OWN goals and a rebound to beat him, and Rask posting a shutout...

Old
02-08-2010, 02:56 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Is that the essence of this debate? Why can't Montreal just go with the hot goalie? Is it because they are both RFA's and many think that one has to go? Can Montreal afford them both?
because potential is overated. so are prospects and draft picks... burke is called crazy to have traded two 1rst rounders for kessel ... I personaly think its fine ... he's not the one gambling, its chiarelli who thinks he'll get more out of draft picks than esablished, strong, promissing young nhlers like kessel.

Mr. hall and seguin are hailed as franchise players and they are not even drafted... thats the way things work... halak's potential < price's potential ... what if price ends up being the best goalie in the league? what if ? when they should just base their opinion on a player for what he gives you on the ice. potential is an important component, but its so overated. and in carey's case, his potential was blown out of proportion by the organization's decision to hail him as #1 at his age, and by his play in the juniors...

people should spend more time being angry at gainey than flaming on fans who prefer halak.

Old
02-08-2010, 03:02 AM
peachy

Quote:
yes because people dont realize that they are comparing a goalie who had his chance to solidify his #1 role ...and one who hasnt had a chance to step in that role ... he never let us down (huet injury/price injury (trip out west last year), ect..) yet people are so reluctant to see him having a well deserved chance to prove himself... thats ridiculous... because those calling out the so called ''double standards'' are the ones bandwagoning for halak to be ripped off of this opportunity he created for himself.
maybe i havent been around long enough but i dont see anyone bandwagoning for halak to be ripped off of this opportunity he created for himself. i, for one, am thrilled for him. i've always rooted for him and think its fantastic he's finally making a name for himself and deserves all the praise directed at him. i think most fans will agree that he's our number at this point in time and deserves to be.

the problem i have is that those who support halak cannot support our other goalie and vice versa. they play for the same team ffs. but theres a large contingent who hate price irrationally for things out of his reach and go out of their way to blame price for so called soft goals. and then when someone else tries to defend price and be rational about it, they are categorized as a price lover, its bs

Old
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
ReVeuF

LoL, funny when we lose 3-0 and people are still battling between Halak and Price... The problem was not there, we got injuries and the team played with 0 energy.

Do we have the team with the least energy level in the NHL ??? This is the question to ask...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Perhaps lost in all of this is the Habs winning pct has dropped to 9th in the conference. They're out of the playoffs at this point.

time for a new winning streak.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:43 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommallionta View Post
Didn't even know there was a game today.
Every super bowl weekend for the last like 10 years the Habs play at home in the afternoon both days....nothing new.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Only the stare down sufficed to make him fall on his ass...
Funniest was that OB tried to lift him back up so they could keep going!

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
LoL, funny when we lose 3-0 and people are still battling between Halak and Price... The problem was not there, we got injuries and the team played with 0 energy.

Do we have the team with the least energy level in the NHL ??? This is the question to ask...
You make it sound like Boston is an AHL team. The Habs had the upper hand for 75% of the game playing minus 3 of their top 6 forwards. Their 3 goals were all off lucky bounces, 2 off our players' sticks, the 3rd off our d-man's shin pads right to Sturm with an empty net. At the other end Rask was both very good and lucky, made numerous saves and Plekanec especially missed a ton of chances, and none of our shots hit anything and went in like theirs.

If we were lacking anythinmg it was luck or finish, definitely not effort.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
A great example would be Habs fans looking at Thomas vs. Rask. Under recent circumstances most of you would say that Rask is the better goalie in Boston and most of you would rather see Boston play Thomas against Montreal. Well, Thomas has a playoff record of 7-4 against Montreal and numbers would indicate that Thomas is better than Rask against the Canadiens. BUT, as a fan I think many of you would agree that Rask is the goalie that seems to be more controlled against Montreal and can calmly win games against them. ON the other hand, Thomas seems to be a goalie who can be shaken up and beaten by the Canadiens and most of you would rather see him in net.

It is just your observation and opinion, and I would rather toss Rask at the Canadiens over Thomas.
It doesn't really matter who Montreal keeps as their goalie since both of them are better than any of Boston's goalies.

You won because Montreal is missing Andrei Kostitsyn, Mike Cammalleri, Benoit Pouliot. That is a lot of goal scoring. They have six Hamilton Bulldogs in the line up and they actually out played Boston in the second and third but didn't get the lucky bounces, Plekanec should of had two goals at minimum. It was a matter of Boston finally getting the breaks I had a feeling Montreal would lose just because your team has been so mediocre for ten games you'd finally get the breaks.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote