HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Bettman discusses Atlanta Spirit Group

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
  #1
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
Bettman discusses Atlanta Spirit Group

I was hoping we'd get some insight from the mighty commish, post-Kovy...

Quote:
ďUltimately, the ownership situation has to be straightened out,Ē Bettman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. ďItís difficult to operate a franchise when owners arenít getting along. Itís even more difficult in a recession climate. A team has to be at its very best. Issues have to be resolved and everybody has to be together so they can interact with fans. But thatís difficult when the owners arenít together.Ē
http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...-act-together/

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 08:22 AM
  #2
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
i hate Jeff Schultz. we could go 82-0 and he would have something bad to say about it.

and i love how the title of the article is "Thrashers on Thin(ning) ice" when what Bettman says does not indicate that at all

Telfo is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 08:35 AM
  #3
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Jeff Schultz is a columnist not a beat writer. He's paid to have an opinion that sells papers or creates website hits. Can you think of a pointed Thrasher topic that fits the above criteria in a positive light? Are the Thrashers dominating against the odds and poised to make noise in the playoffs? Do we have an exceptional goaltender or charismatic forward that has taken the league by storm? How about an iconic anthem singer that gets the barn bursting before puck drop


No. To all the above.


We have squabbling owners and mediocre hockey

The Sneak is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
  #4
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect
 
BreakTheWallsDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Jeff Schultz is a columnist not a beat writer. He's paid to have an opinion that sells papers or creates website hits. Can you think of a pointed Thrasher topic that fits the above criteria in a positive light? Are the Thrashers dominating against the odds and poised to make noise in the playoffs? Do we have an exceptional goaltender or charismatic forward that has taken the league by storm? How about an iconic anthem singer that gets the barn bursting before puck drop


No. To all the above.


We have squabbling owners and mediocre hockey
That doesn't make him any less of a ********* and a waste of space.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
  #5
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
That doesn't make him any less of a ********* and a waste of space.
Nor does it make his column irrelevant.

I don't normally like Schultz's stuff. However, it's about time we got some official word from someone higher than the ownership saying the situation is screwed up and needs to be sorted out quickly.

dj4aces is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
  #6
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
That doesn't make him any less of a ********* and a waste of space.
Do I like the subject? No I don't. Would I rather the attendance be better? Yes I would. Simply because the subject matter is uncomfortable it doesn't mean it should not be talked about. The truth is that we're one of the worst draws in the entire NHL. The season ticket base is down drastically. The hockey fan of this town has been alienated and I've seen another percentage of season ticket holders frustrated further by the Kovalchuk move. The owners ARE in court and suing each other to distraction. More capital is needed to balance their court expenditures as well as potentially replace a principle. The economics here are very real.

The Sneak is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  #7
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Do I like the subject? No I don't. Would I rather the attendance be better? Yes I would. Simply because the subject matter is uncomfortable it doesn't mean it should not be talked about. The truth is that we're one of the worst draws in the entire NHL. The season ticket base is down drastically. The hockey fan of this town has been alienated and I've seen another percentage of season ticket holders frustrated further by the Kovalchuk move. The owners ARE in court and suing each other to distraction. More capital is needed to balance their court expenditures as well as potentially replace a principle. The economics here are very real.
Are they back in court? Did Belkin appeal or something?

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
  #8
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Are they back in court? Did Belkin appeal or something?
nothing new has happened in a while as far as i know

Telfo is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
  #9
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect
 
BreakTheWallsDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Do I like the subject? No I don't. Would I rather the attendance be better? Yes I would. Simply because the subject matter is uncomfortable it doesn't mean it should not be talked about. The truth is that we're one of the worst draws in the entire NHL. The season ticket base is down drastically. The hockey fan of this town has been alienated and I've seen another percentage of season ticket holders frustrated further by the Kovalchuk move. The owners ARE in court and suing each other to distraction. More capital is needed to balance their court expenditures as well as potentially replace a principle. The economics here are very real.
I'm not saying its not a real and legitimate topic to discuss, but its also a negative topic. That's all that idiot knows how to write about: Negative things. He's like the ASF of journalism with his negativity.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
  #10
ATLien
Registered User
 
ATLien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
I'm not saying its not a real and legitimate topic to discuss, but its also a negative topic. That's all that idiot knows how to write about: Negative things. He's like the ASF of journalism with his negativity.
This may be, but this team has a chronic case of cantkeepyourstarsitis, and it is refreshing to hear Bettman voice what many people have known here for years 'it's not the market'.

Maybe this really is a positive story after all.

ATLien is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
  #11
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
This may be, but this team has a chronic case of cantkeepyourstarsitis, and it is refreshing to hear Bettman voice what many people have known here for years 'it's not the market'.

Maybe this really is a positive story after all.
i think most outside of some "special" HF posters and Canadian media members realize its not the market

Telfo is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
  #12
ATLien
Registered User
 
ATLien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien
This may be, but this team has a chronic case of cantkeepyourstarsitis, and it is refreshing to hear Bettman voice what the actual problem is 'its the ownership'.

Maybe this really is a positive story after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i think most outside of some "special" HF posters and Canadian media members realize its not the market
Fixed

ATLien is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
  #13
Rhodes 81
Moderator
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i hate Jeff Schultz. we could go 82-0 and he would have something bad to say about it.
THRASHERS UNBEATEN, BUT FAIL TO DO IT PREVIOUS SEASONS

perhaps the most interesting story about the thrashers unbeaten season is the fact that they have failed in their previous decade of existence to do it before. despite having superstars like heatley, savard, hossa, and kovalchuk come and go the franchise has never been able to achieve a perfect season until the past 8 months of the calender. after all if college football teams can win 4 seasons in a row why cant this be achieved by a team that has had so many stars. the answer of course must be that the stars continue to leave for b-rate prospects or nothing at all. despite the fact that the team is clearly better as a full team and not built around one star it will surely fail to achieve this feat a second time. perhaps the only solution is for the team to be sold to a new owner, one committed to going undefeated more than just once.

icanbjefschultz!?

Rhodes 81 is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
  #14
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect
 
BreakTheWallsDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
THRASHERS UNBEATEN, BUT FAIL TO DO IT PREVIOUS SEASONS

perhaps the most interesting story about the thrashers unbeaten season is the fact that they have failed in their previous decade of existence to do it before. despite having superstars like heatley, savard, hossa, and kovalchuk come and go the franchise has never been able to achieve a perfect season until the past 8 months of the calender. after all if college football teams can win 4 seasons in a row why cant this be achieved by a team that has had so many stars. the answer of course must be that the stars continue to leave for b-rate prospects or nothing at all. despite the fact that the team is clearly better as a full team and not built around one star it will surely fail to achieve this feat a second time. perhaps the only solution is for the team to be sold to a new owner, one committed to going undefeated more than just once.

icanbjefschultz!?


Also don't forget to add that the 82-0-0 means nothing because the team will be so used to winning by now that they'll go soft in the playoffs and get swept in 4 games by a #8 seed from a more "traditional" market.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.