Bettman discusses Atlanta Spirit Group

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Bettman discusses Atlanta Spirit Group

I was hoping we'd get some insight from the mighty commish, post-Kovy...

Quote:
ďUltimately, the ownership situation has to be straightened out,Ē Bettman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. ďItís difficult to operate a franchise when owners arenít getting along. Itís even more difficult in a recession climate. A team has to be at its very best. Issues have to be resolved and everybody has to be together so they can interact with fans. But thatís difficult when the owners arenít together.Ē
http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...-act-together/

Old
02-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i hate Jeff Schultz. we could go 82-0 and he would have something bad to say about it.

and i love how the title of the article is "Thrashers on Thin(ning) ice" when what Bettman says does not indicate that at all

Old
02-08-2010, 08:35 AM
The Sneak

Jeff Schultz is a columnist not a beat writer. He's paid to have an opinion that sells papers or creates website hits. Can you think of a pointed Thrasher topic that fits the above criteria in a positive light? Are the Thrashers dominating against the odds and poised to make noise in the playoffs? Do we have an exceptional goaltender or charismatic forward that has taken the league by storm? How about an iconic anthem singer that gets the barn bursting before puck drop

No. To all the above.

We have squabbling owners and mediocre hockey

Old
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Jeff Schultz is a columnist not a beat writer. He's paid to have an opinion that sells papers or creates website hits. Can you think of a pointed Thrasher topic that fits the above criteria in a positive light? Are the Thrashers dominating against the odds and poised to make noise in the playoffs? Do we have an exceptional goaltender or charismatic forward that has taken the league by storm? How about an iconic anthem singer that gets the barn bursting before puck drop

No. To all the above.

We have squabbling owners and mediocre hockey
That doesn't make him any less of a ********* and a waste of space.

Old
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
Nor does it make his column irrelevant.

I don't normally like Schultz's stuff. However, it's about time we got some official word from someone higher than the ownership saying the situation is screwed up and needs to be sorted out quickly.

Old
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Do I like the subject? No I don't. Would I rather the attendance be better? Yes I would. Simply because the subject matter is uncomfortable it doesn't mean it should not be talked about. The truth is that we're one of the worst draws in the entire NHL. The season ticket base is down drastically. The hockey fan of this town has been alienated and I've seen another percentage of season ticket holders frustrated further by the Kovalchuk move. The owners ARE in court and suing each other to distraction. More capital is needed to balance their court expenditures as well as potentially replace a principle. The economics here are very real.

Old
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Do I like the subject? No I don't. Would I rather the attendance be better? Yes I would. Simply because the subject matter is uncomfortable it doesn't mean it should not be talked about. The truth is that we're one of the worst draws in the entire NHL. The season ticket base is down drastically. The hockey fan of this town has been alienated and I've seen another percentage of season ticket holders frustrated further by the Kovalchuk move. The owners ARE in court and suing each other to distraction. More capital is needed to balance their court expenditures as well as potentially replace a principle. The economics here are very real.
Are they back in court? Did Belkin appeal or something?

Old
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Are they back in court? Did Belkin appeal or something?
nothing new has happened in a while as far as i know

Old
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
I'm not saying its not a real and legitimate topic to discuss, but its also a negative topic. That's all that idiot knows how to write about: Negative things. He's like the ASF of journalism with his negativity.

Old
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
ATLien

Quote:
I'm not saying its not a real and legitimate topic to discuss, but its also a negative topic. That's all that idiot knows how to write about: Negative things. He's like the ASF of journalism with his negativity.
This may be, but this team has a chronic case of cantkeepyourstarsitis, and it is refreshing to hear Bettman voice what many people have known here for years 'it's not the market'.

Maybe this really is a positive story after all.

Old
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
This may be, but this team has a chronic case of cantkeepyourstarsitis, and it is refreshing to hear Bettman voice what many people have known here for years 'it's not the market'.

i think most outside of some "special" HF posters and Canadian media members realize its not the market

Old
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
ATLien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien
This may be, but this team has a chronic case of cantkeepyourstarsitis, and it is refreshing to hear Bettman voice what the actual problem is 'its the ownership'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i think most outside of some "special" HF posters and Canadian media members realize its not the market
Fixed

Old
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i hate Jeff Schultz. we could go 82-0 and he would have something bad to say about it.
THRASHERS UNBEATEN, BUT FAIL TO DO IT PREVIOUS SEASONS

perhaps the most interesting story about the thrashers unbeaten season is the fact that they have failed in their previous decade of existence to do it before. despite having superstars like heatley, savard, hossa, and kovalchuk come and go the franchise has never been able to achieve a perfect season until the past 8 months of the calender. after all if college football teams can win 4 seasons in a row why cant this be achieved by a team that has had so many stars. the answer of course must be that the stars continue to leave for b-rate prospects or nothing at all. despite the fact that the team is clearly better as a full team and not built around one star it will surely fail to achieve this feat a second time. perhaps the only solution is for the team to be sold to a new owner, one committed to going undefeated more than just once.

icanbjefschultz!?

Old
02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
THRASHERS UNBEATEN, BUT FAIL TO DO IT PREVIOUS SEASONS

perhaps the most interesting story about the thrashers unbeaten season is the fact that they have failed in their previous decade of existence to do it before. despite having superstars like heatley, savard, hossa, and kovalchuk come and go the franchise has never been able to achieve a perfect season until the past 8 months of the calender. after all if college football teams can win 4 seasons in a row why cant this be achieved by a team that has had so many stars. the answer of course must be that the stars continue to leave for b-rate prospects or nothing at all. despite the fact that the team is clearly better as a full team and not built around one star it will surely fail to achieve this feat a second time. perhaps the only solution is for the team to be sold to a new owner, one committed to going undefeated more than just once.

icanbjefschultz!?

Also don't forget to add that the 82-0-0 means nothing because the team will be so used to winning by now that they'll go soft in the playoffs and get swept in 4 games by a #8 seed from a more "traditional" market.

Closed Thread