HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Henrik?

Old
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
The next number this team will retire will be #30. Lundqvist will be this generation's Leetch.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Block More Shots

Without a top 5 goaltender like Henrik Lundqvist, we would be a bottom 5 team in the league. In order to compete night in and night out, we need him in net.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:39 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I know every Rangers fan is a big supporter of Lundy's game and personality. The guy is a class act night in and night out and just gives 110% no matter who we are playing or whats on the line.

I also know that Tort's system is generated and designed to have odd-man rushes against all the time which leaves Lund' out on a limb by himself 4-5 times a night consistantly.

Now with that being said, I would like to trade Henrik for HIGH draft picks and a good young centerman.

Face it. This team is not built to win a Cup any time soon. They are floundering every year with 6-7-8 place and early exits from the Playoffs are an absolute norm' for them. Henrik shows that he is human with letting 5 goals in, 6 goals in, 4 goals in. And then he stands on his head and carries the team to unbelievable stops and sometimes just flat out wins the game for the Rangers without anyone else trying to win. Actually, this happens more times than not.

But Henrik's trade value is VERY high I believe. You could have a team with a Good goaltender win a Cup or two and not have the Very Best Goaltender. I say trade him while his value is at his highest and get a good return for him. Rebuild this club and lets start making some noise in this League.

I understand having the best goaltender is great. I understand there are some thick headed fans out there saying "no way. I would never trade my goaltender, your crazy" blah blah blah. But if you could build a young speedy team that has talent in not only ONE area you can build a winner.

Detroit has one with Osgood. Giguere has one a cup. Belfour has won a cup. You dont need the worlds best goaltender to win a cup. You need BALANCE. You need young balance that has a lot of talent.

I am tired of seeing no team structure and just sprinkle in some vets with a small amount of Hartford player here or there.

Also, think about Henrik's case. Is it FAIR to HIM that we leave him on a team that has no shot at a Cup in the forseeable future? If you think the Rangers are going to win a Cup anytime soon, then I am sorry, your delusional. We dont have the structure, the patience, the balance that it takes to win.

Wouldnt it be nice to see Henrik go to lets say a Chicago or a Detroit or an LA team ( I hate Chicago but they are good so I mentioned them ) and have the correct players infront of him that give him support and goal support so he can hoist the Cup? Maybe make the Hall Of Fame? He wont do that here because his numbers will always be inflated with our style of play and unbalanced structure. He should have a really nice wins/lose record with the way he plays but he will always be a .500 guy with us. His save percentage will always be escewed because we leave him high and dry with 3-2's ,3-1s, 2-1's and 1-0's. Its a shame.

You can flame me all you want. I am just tired of mediocricy and I would like my team to also do the right thing by a player who has done the right thing for us since the moment he laced them up
By far the most well structured piece of awful I have ever read in my life.
Giguere put up arguably the best money performances we've ever seen. Mention a goalie who won a conn smythe as a loser. Belfour is one of the all time greats, amongst the top ranked in stats...

all we need is to structure a defense with a brain and we're gold. it's all that's truly stopped us for the last 12 years.

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 02-08-2010 at 12:49 AM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:44 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I would THINK about trading Henrik for Ovechkin AND ONLY Ovechkin. Nothing else or how ever many else.

We have the best goaltender we've ever seen, who puts up numbers behind a defense most considered not help, but an obstacle...and he loves it here. We are most seriously lucky to have him.
Let's end this silly one.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:25 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

You don't trade a franchise goaltender. The only reason to trade a franchise goalie is if his contract is coming to an end and it is evident you will not be able to re-sign him. I don't see that happening in this situation. I feel like Lundqvist loves this city and wants to be a Ranger for life.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:12 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Obviously, it's not enough to have an elite goaltender and an elite goal scorer on this team. Maybe this team also needs a guy like Jagr who can make things happen all alone. He would also take a lot of pressure off Gabbo and therefore take pressure off guys like Dubi, Cally and Drury, too. Problem: Jagr isn't here anymore and I don't see us getting him back (if he's still able to play like he did in the old days) and the only guy in the league who would be a proper "replacement" is Alex Ovechkin whom we definetly won't get in exchange for Drury and a 1st.
To be honest, I could imagine Hank demanding a trade because he gets sick and tired to stick with a mediocre team who rewards him for standing on his head by letting him get ran and banged every now and then. Hank doesn't deserve a team of underperformers and soft guys.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Just think, if you take the plunge and cross the River (Hudson that is for those non-natives), the next thing that will happen is Sather retires (but, not before he trades Lundqvist to the Devils), Dolan then sells the team and the Rangers promptly win Lord Stanley's Cup. My dog will fall in love with the cat she's been trying to kill and have his kittens. Pigs will fly in broad daylight and threat of global warming will evaporate.

Gotta do it for the good of all mankind! Pretty Please!
Well...I'm a fan of anarachy as well. So NOT allowing those things to happen makes me happy

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I think that we absolutely have to debate this issue.

Its not like there is a shortage of capable goalies. Who would have thought that Hiller or Rinne would be this good.

Clearly we would need a replacement.

the main problem I see is that very few genuine contenders have a weekness in goal and would be prepared to seriouly jeorpardize their valueble assets.

Potential trade partners

Chicago - Niemi and Kane / Keith?

Caps - Theodore and Poti...........ok I am kidding....Varlamov and Backstrom/Semin?

Rememeber we traded Brad Park and we almost got the cup as a result!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:51 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
I think that we absolutely have to debate this issue.

Its not like there is a shortage of capable goalies. Who would have thought that Hiller or Rinne would be this good.

Clearly we would need a replacement.

the main problem I see is that very few genuine contenders have a weekness in goal and would be prepared to seriouly jeorpardize their valueble assets.

Potential trade partners

Chicago - Niemi and Kane / Keith?

Caps - Theodore and Poti...........ok I am kidding....Varlamov and Backstrom/Semin?

Rememeber we traded Brad Park and we almost got the cup as a result!

Aside from that....

Why would chicago even think of trading niemi.Once huet is dealt/contract expired he is their #1

Same with varlamov/theodore

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Ola

Everyone is tradeable. Especially on a team that is barely a PO team. But the big challenge is to get enough in return for him.

I mean wouldn't it make sense longterm to deal Lundqvist and Drury for say Bäckström, Carlson, Alzner and Varlamov -- if Washington failed miserably in the PO's (and lost their minds)?

Slats could then sign both Brad Richards and Ilya Kovalchuk.

IK-Bäckström-Lisin
Grachev-Richards-Gaborik
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Proust-Boyle-Soryal
MDZ-Girardi
Staal-Carlson
Alzner-Gilroy
Varlamov
Chad J

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:52 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Everyone is tradeable. Especially on a team that is barely a PO team. But the big challenge is to get enough in return for him.

I mean wouldn't it make sense longterm to deal Lundqvist and Drury for say Bäckström, Carlson, Alzner and Varlamov -- if Washington failed miserably in the PO's (and lost their minds)?

Slats could then sign both Brad Richards and Ilya Kovalchuk.

IK-Bäckström-Lisin
Grachev-Richards-Gaborik
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Proust-Boyle-Soryal
MDZ-Girardi
Staal-Carlson
Alzner-Gilroy
Varlamov
Chad J

Sarcastic or not your line up is a pipe dream. If has contender written all over it. That is why I don't think it will never come close to fruition.
I am still against trading Lundqvist. I am for forcing him to play better. I think it is more realistic.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
not advocating the trade of Lundy but trading up in value should always be considered.

Question is who could / would be intrerested in getting Lundquist and prepared to give arm and a leg to get him? Only getting proper value that would improve the club would clearly justify it.

Maybe noone would.....that alone is an interesting fact when it comes to resigning him to a new contract.

But I do hope he is a Ranger for life.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This guy is on crack. Trade Lundqvist? Are you nuts?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
EJS280

In no way do I agree with trading Lundqvist, but there is a point to be made for it.

People say goaltending is the most important position in the game, then Lundqvist is the most valuable or second most valuable player in this league, and would get an enormous return. Teams like Washington or Los Angeles who have good young goalies that might want to win now, could offer up a big return.

Sometimes I think goaltending is a little overrated when you look at some of the previous cup winners. You never know when a goalie will get hot in the playoffs and carry you (Fleury, Ward, etc.). If you have a powerful offense and a good team gameplan with a decent goalie who catches fire in the playoffs you are far better off than having a decent team with an elite goalie in the playoffs, in my opinion.

With that said, Sather would have to be smoking more than cigars to trade Lundqvist.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
This can be fun:

Chicago? Ok I'll take Kane or Toews AND Keith or Seabrook.

Boston? k.. I'll take Tim Thomas, Milan Lucic and Torontos first pick.

Detroit : Datsyuk, Franzen and Howard.
Stay far away from Tim Thomas, way to old

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

What stinks about Lundqvist is, right now at the age of 27 soon to be 28 he's in his prime.
By the time the Rangers are contenders he won't be in his prime. So he's essentially being wasted.
I don't know how long he's going to last. Maybe he's Broudeur and can play until his late 30's and still be a top goalie. Or maybe he loses it early. Who knows.

Now the Rangers will never do it. but when you consider is age and the situation the Rangers are in I would trade him. If the price was right.
I don't think you need a "great" goalie to win a cup.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I'll give it a go.

Lundqvist to Philly for Carter, JVR & a 1st rounder

Lundqvist to Columbus for Antoine Vermette, Derrick Brassard and Jakub Voracek

Lundqvist to Tampa for Stamkos and Hedman

Lundqvist to Nashville for Shea Weber, Colin Wilson, Pekka Rinne andthe rights to Radulov

Lundqvist to the Blues for David Backes, Erik Johnson and Patrick Berglund

Thoughts?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS280 View Post
In no way do I agree with trading Lundqvist, but there is a point to be made for it.

People say goaltending is the most important position in the game, then Lundqvist is the most valuable or second most valuable player in this league, and would get an enormous return. Teams like Washington or Los Angeles who have good young goalies that might want to win now, could offer up a big return...
Outright wrong. Goaltenders have probably never given the value back as the franchise (and the rest of the league) considered them worth. That's the only reason you'll need as why you never trade away a franchise goaltender.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
mullichicken25

i haven't read the thread yet but I wanted to throw in my opinion here

I would absolutly trade Henrik for a good offer

reasons:

- he's horriblly streaky and inconsistant

- when he's hot he is at the top of the leauge....when he's not, hes brarely a starting goalie..he averages out to about a B or B+ goalie

- at this point the drop off from the "elite" tier of goltender to the "good" tier is not that much...most average goalies in the NHL nowadays are capable of getting hot and stealing some games. just like "elite" goalies like henrik crap the bed at fairly regular rate

- biulding a team around a worldclass goalie is not as important as it was in the past...in general in this NHL you need highpower offense first and foremost

- we could have the potential to completely fleece a team in a trade...if we got good young players with (real) offensive talent and some picks it would be worth it to solidify the offense of this team for the next 5 years

sidenote, i feel like with the way things are going more teams are going to revert back to have two "starting" goalies in the near future...sort of like how the NFL is getting away from having one feature running back. With how poor/hot any goalie can play on any given night it makes the most sense...what do you guys think?

anyway, thats my take....but all this means nothing cause henrik will never be traded

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
NHLsnipers

Worst thread of the year?

Last edited by NHLsnipers: 02-08-2010 at 06:10 PM.
NHLsnipers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bubba5

not unless he wins some playoff series. gettiing to the 2nd round is nothing. his regular season wins aided by the fact there are no ties does not get your # retired.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i haven't read the thread yet but I wanted to throw in my opinion here

I would absolutly trade Henrik for a good offer

reasons:

- he's horriblly streaky and inconsistant

- when he's hot he is at the top of the leauge....when he's not, hes brarely a starting goalie..he averages out to about a B or B+ goalie

- at this point the drop off from the "elite" tier of goltender to the "good" tier is not that much...most average goalies in the NHL nowadays are capable of getting hot and stealing some games. just like "elite" goalies like henrik crap the bed at fairly regular rate

- biulding a team around a worldclass goalie is not as important as it was in the past...in general in this NHL you need highpower offense first and foremost

- we could have the potential to completely fleece a team in a trade...if we got good young players with (real) offensive talent and some picks it would be worth it to solidify the offense of this team for the next 5 years

sidenote, i feel like with the way things are going more teams are going to revert back to have two "starting" goalies in the near future...sort of like how the NFL is getting away from having one feature running back. With how poor/hot any goalie can play on any given night it makes the most sense...what do you guys think?

anyway, thats my take....but all this means nothing cause henrik will never be traded
Location: NJ. Still sour over the loss this weekend, when Hank dominated? If you're really a Rangers fan, you seem to know an awful little about the game and especially goaltending.

"horriblly" streaky and "inconsistant": Compared to what really? Seems you have no clue when to separate the goalie from the team and when not to. How many games have Hank not given their team a chance to win the game? About 7 out of 50? How many times has he played well enough to give his team a good chance to win the game? The remaining 43 out of 50 perhaps? His bad game average is perhaps 5. How that is horribly streaky is beyond me.

"when he's not, hes 'brarely' a starting goalie..he averages out to about a B or B+ goalie": B to B+? . Been reading statz on nhl.com much and basing your entire opinion solely on save percentage, wins and GAA? Good luck with your "Xpurts analisys".

"we could have the potential to completely fleece a team in a trade": Yeah, because trading top goalies have worked so well in the past for teams that have tried it.

Sometimes, some posters show me that Sather is a rather competent GM after all... imagine what we could have there instead.

Last edited by Chimp: 02-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Location: NJ. Still sour over the loss this weekend, when Hank dominated? If you're really a Rangers fan, you seem to know an awful little about the game and especially goaltending.
i do live in jersey, that part your right about, however im a rangers fan and played the game all my life....care to elaborate a little about what im wrong about?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

You don't trade Lundqvist without a blue-chip goaltending prospect that is ready to take over.

I think some of these deals being proposed are absolutely ludicrous as well. Hank is a great goalie, but he's also the highest paid goalie in the league. Whether you like it or not, that drives down his value a bit. No team is going to gut their roster to acquire one player, even if it is a goalie.

You'd be lucky to get a first line forward and a decent prospect or pick for him. That's not a slight against Hank or his skill level, but you have to be realistic.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
... Hank is a great goalie, but he's also the highest paid goalie in the league. Whether you like it or not, that drives down his value a bit. No team is going to gut their roster to acquire one player, even if it is a goalie...
Only because the Canucks and Luongo openly cheated the cap system and the league did nothing about it, as usual. Most top goalies are paid around what Hank is paid, differing about half a mil.