HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder pad recommendation

Old
01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
And those still offer more protection than Brendan Shanahan used in his NHL career. he had just the shoulder caps left on a ragged "thing" he called a vest.

i saw him talk about them in an interview a couple of years ago and I could not believe he was still using his highschool pads.
he got a brand new pair of them when he got to NY. Cas Marques randomly had a brand new pair of his 20 year old shoulder pads and gave them to him when he came to camp.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
he got a brand new pair of them when he got to NY. Cas Marques randomly had a brand new pair of his 20 year old shoulder pads and gave them to him when he came to camp.
That is funny stuff

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr33 View Post
anyone try the bauer pro defenders? they look sweet and are really cheap now. I want to be able to move and not have huge bulky pads, and the farrells are really goofy.
Have you played with the Farrell's?

I can't imagine anything being less restrictive than those honestly.

I'm sure other companies make stuff that rules it as well but these really are great shoulder pads. The block technology absorbs everything and you just do not feel the hit or getting hit with the puck or slashes etc.

I even wear the 5 pad compression short playing outdoors and when taking a header on a crack in the ice or whatever you don't feel it.

The technology is excellent. Who the frig cares what they look like?

I happen to think they look unique.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Have you played with the Farrell's?

I can't imagine anything being less restrictive than those honestly.

I'm sure other companies make stuff that rules it as well but these really are great shoulder pads. The block technology absorbs everything and you just do not feel the hit or getting hit with the puck or slashes etc.

I even wear the 5 pad compression short playing outdoors and when taking a header on a crack in the ice or whatever you don't feel it.

The technology is excellent. Who the frig cares what they look like?

I happen to think they look unique.
sounds good to me. i heard that between the blocks of foam you are vulnerable, but it seems like you know what your talking about. i also heard they run really big, im 5foot 7, what size do you think i would need, and what model do you have?

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by oileral View Post

Sherwood SP 5030 Tradition Shoulder Pads
thats what i have

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Madvillain27*

Im thinking of ordering a pair of the Farrel pads, but I'm not sure if I should get medium or small. What do you guys think? I wear medium CCM supra pads now but ive heard the Farrel's fit bigger than usual. FYI, I'm 5'11, 180lbs.

Madvillain27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

I picked up Easton st16's on clearance last fall.

I find them to be pretty good. It may look heavy and bulky for a skilled player (it even says its for the physical player) but I find it to be just right. I feel like a tank out there.

The way I see it, I can use as much protection as I can get because I am not playing hockey for a living. Getting hurt is MUCH more of a problem than playing a bit heavy.

Reg price is $99 but if you're lucky you will find it at clearance for $49 at National Sports. I got it for $35 after coupons.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain27 View Post
Im thinking of ordering a pair of the Farrel pads, but I'm not sure if I should get medium or small. What do you guys think? I wear medium CCM supra pads now but ive heard the Farrel's fit bigger than usual. FYI, I'm 5'11, 180lbs.
I'm 6 ft, 195 lbs, lift weights and I wear a small. It's the only thing in my life that I buy in a small. Their sizing is way off and is something that should be fixed based on the feedback I've seen on hockey message boards. If I got a medium I would be swimming in them and I am not a small man by any means.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Madvillain27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm 6 ft, 195 lbs, lift weights and I wear a small. It's the only thing in my life that I buy in a small. Their sizing is way off and is something that should be fixed based on the feedback I've seen on hockey message boards. If I got a medium I would be swimming in them and I am not a small man by any means.
Tikkanen, thanks for that info. Do you know your chest measurement by any chance? Sounds like I'll have to go for a small, I guess.

Madvillain27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain27 View Post
Tikkanen, thanks for that info. Do you know your chest measurement by any chance? Sounds like I'll have to go for a small, I guess.
About 40 inches.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote