HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What will Gauthier's first moves as GM be?

Old
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
LaurentHou*

vCash: 500
Georges laraque back in the team

LaurentHou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Galchy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
He was working for years with Gainey. He already said, that we have 2 good young goalie and it's a 'force' to have.. so I don't think he's going to trade either of them for now.

Subban is a bluechip prospect, he's not going to be trade.
You have to give to get. That's all I'm gonna say.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I love Eberle too, I just wish he was a bit bigger. But I believe he will have a decent career in the NHL.
I wish he was bigger, but honestly, size is so ****ing overrated. Look at supposed big teams like Philly, Boston and Toronto. They're no better than us midgets, in fact, IIRC, we're on top of all those teams in the standings right now.

Not targeting you necessarily, mainly those here who think size is the determining factor in being a winner, when it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This.

We don't need a Patrick Roy/Brodeur caliber goaltender to be successful... Fans are brainwashed because of the mediocrity that has been dressed here for the past 20 years and required Roy to win.

Halak is a good enough goaltender right now, and going forward to bring this team (as long as its built properly infront of him) to glory.
Exactly, we don't. If we can get good goaltending from Halak long term and if we get a guy like Eberle for Price, then there's no reason not to do that trade...Halak + Eberle >> Price.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
What kind of moves do you see him making between now and the deadline? What about this summer?

My biggest fear, is him trading away a top prospect like Subban (who I think will be a star for us) for a veteran top 6 forward at the deadline or something like that..One positive, is he seems to want to keep both goaltenders. Not sure how that will work though, considering they're both RFA's at the end of the year..
my greatest fear as well

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman101 View Post
You have to give to get. That's all I'm gonna say.
It's just to big a of gamble for now. Same for Price. It's too large of a risk that could bite you in the ass ( example: Rask for Raycroft, Ribeiro for Niinimaa ).

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
This.

We don't need a Patrick Roy/Brodeur caliber goaltender to be successful... Fans are brainwashed because of the mediocrity that has been dressed here for the past 20 years and required Roy to win.

Halak is a good enough goaltender right now, and going forward to bring this team (as long as its built properly infront of him) to glory.
Unless you can build a powerhouse like Pittsburgh or Detroit, star goalie is the easiest way to win a cup. Halak is a good little goalie, but he is more in the Osgood mold than the Roy/Brodeur mold of goalie that can be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Mister Tazzi

Trotter and White to HAM and Pyatt to MTL lol

Mister Tazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Tazzi View Post
Trotter and White to HAM and Pyatt to MTL lol
I would have kept White

Nice to see Desharnais stays up however.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
MathMan

Gauthier needs to tread carefully. There is a very high potential for his first move to be the kind of monumental mistake you still regret 5 years later.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Trade one of the goalie or sign Plek and I won't be surprise if he land Lecavalier(with a overpament)

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I wish he was bigger, but honestly, size is so ****ing overrated. Look at supposed big teams like Philly, Boston and Toronto. They're no better than us midgets, in fact, IIRC, we're on top of all those teams in the standings right now.

Not targeting you necessarily, mainly those here who think size is the determining factor in being a winner, when it's not.

Exactly, we don't. If we can get good goaltending from Halak long term and if we get a guy like Eberle for Price, then there's no reason not to do that trade...Halak + Eberle >> Price.
There are some very good reasoins NOT to do that trade.

Price has a lot more upside than a guy like Eberle. Eberle gets overrated big time because of McGuire and the WJHC. The guy can finish, no doubt, but he is neither big nor fast, he is a one dimensional player, plus he doesn't fill a need for us, we already have Gionta Cammy Pouliot and AK as top 6 wingers.

Good goaltending gets you into the playoffs, but great goaltending can win you cups(see Patrick Roy and Brodeur).

Old
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Trade one of the goalie or sign Plek and I won't be surprise if he land Lecavalier(with a overpament)
Unless Gomez is going the other way, I will personally lead the lynch mob for bringing in ANOTHER albatross contract.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
This.

You mean as long as we draft a Crosby and Malkin in successive drafts to lead us to a cup?

Old
02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
There is very little from this guy's past to suggest he will make any positive contibutions to Montreal.

Pierre Mgcuire said that he basically inherited the Sens team. And what he did with the Ducks was pretty weak.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
scottyG

If he trades Price then honestly I wouldn't follow this team anymore. We would be the joke of the league (see toronto 2004-2009). I just don't think Halak is a number 1 goalie. See yesterday how dead he looked? Not the first time he looks out of it after playing 4-5 games straight.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
I feel very worried going forward.

I can see a guy like Maxwell being shipped for Whitney. :

I think a cheap rental (as in no need to sell the farm) scoring winger à la Whitney, Ponikarovsky (soon to be UFAs)... would be great! This team, despite everything, is currently in the midst of a tight playoffs race. While waiting for the returns of A. Kostitsyn, Pouliot and Cammalleri, I am sure that the guys would appreciate a gesture from their GM. Imo they deserve it.

As for Pierre Gauthier's first move… Gionta as our new captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
He was working for years with Gainey. He already said, that we have 2 good young goalie and it's a 'force' to have.. so I don't think he's going to trade either of them for now.

Subban is a bluechip prospect, he's not going to be trade.

He also mentioned (regarding the goalies): "Never say never...".

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You mean as long as we draft a Crosby and Malkin in successive drafts to lead us to a cup?
Yup, Detoit has won tons of cups with amazing goaltending.

I can see how a fanboy with Carey Price as his username could think otherwise.

Montrealers are brainwashed into believing you need a Patrick Roy in nets to be successful because it's been the norm here for the past 25 years. Fact.

Drafting good players is key to the success of a team. We do not have *ONE* game-breaking player on our team, that's a disgrace to the history of this organization.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
TankEller*

I say we're going to trade with LA.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
He also mentioned (regarding the goalies): "Never say never...".

You know how journalists work in Montreal, don't you?

When you say sometimes and you do 'the opposite', they will say that all the time. Like Carbo was the best thing I did... or '5 years plan'.

I think, it's bright to say that everything is possible, but I really doubt that he will trade a goalie at this point.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
scottyG

Quote:

Montrealers are brainwashed into believing you need a Patrick Roy in nets to be successful because it's been the norm here for the past 25 years. Fact.

Drafting good players is key to the success of a team. We do not have *ONE* game-breaking player on our team, that's a disgrace to the history of this organization.
Dude we are not the red wings. Where Lidstrom,Yzerman? We have Gomez and Markov my friend so yes you need you goalie to pick up the slack that the player's leave behind.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
can ppl finally forget about vinny? Gomez's contract assured us we'll never get him because why would Tampa dump one overpaid C for another? Yes Gomez has less yrs on his contract but still, it doesn't help them.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

I'm sure Jacques Martin wouldn't disagree with you. I mean, he had Lalime and we all know where that went.

Yep, right through Lalime's legs.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
I'm sure Jacques Martin wouldn't disagree with you. I mean, he had Lalime and we all know where that went.

Yep, right through Lalime's legs.
So you're saying Halak is Lalime?

Jesus.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
I'm sure he would. Unbelievable goaltending is just about the only way he can win games.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
So you're saying Halak is Lalime?

Jesus.
Halak doesn't have the consecutive shutout record in the NHL either (or something like that).

The point is, people who are saying you can get through with decent goaltending is only partially right.

Having a goalie you don't know how he will play like on 90-95% of nights is a crap shoot in the playoffs. Inconsistent goaltending can get you passed great teams like it can sink you in the first round.

You don't need Roy or Brodeur, but having a steady, solid starter will make you a much closer thing to a perennial contender than a stud center.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote