HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What will Gauthier's first moves as GM be?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
  #26
LaurentHou*
 
LaurentHou*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nouvelle-France
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Georges laraque back in the team

LaurentHou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
  #27
Galchy27
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
He was working for years with Gainey. He already said, that we have 2 good young goalie and it's a 'force' to have.. so I don't think he's going to trade either of them for now.

Subban is a bluechip prospect, he's not going to be trade.
You have to give to get. That's all I'm gonna say.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
  #28
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I love Eberle too, I just wish he was a bit bigger. But I believe he will have a decent career in the NHL.
I wish he was bigger, but honestly, size is so ****ing overrated. Look at supposed big teams like Philly, Boston and Toronto. They're no better than us midgets, in fact, IIRC, we're on top of all those teams in the standings right now.

Not targeting you necessarily, mainly those here who think size is the determining factor in being a winner, when it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This.

We don't need a Patrick Roy/Brodeur caliber goaltender to be successful... Fans are brainwashed because of the mediocrity that has been dressed here for the past 20 years and required Roy to win.

Halak is a good enough goaltender right now, and going forward to bring this team (as long as its built properly infront of him) to glory.
Exactly, we don't. If we can get good goaltending from Halak long term and if we get a guy like Eberle for Price, then there's no reason not to do that trade...Halak + Eberle >> Price.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
  #29
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!
 
TheHabMan43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
What kind of moves do you see him making between now and the deadline? What about this summer?

My biggest fear, is him trading away a top prospect like Subban (who I think will be a star for us) for a veteran top 6 forward at the deadline or something like that..One positive, is he seems to want to keep both goaltenders. Not sure how that will work though, considering they're both RFA's at the end of the year..
my greatest fear as well

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
  #30
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman101 View Post
You have to give to get. That's all I'm gonna say.
It's just to big a of gamble for now. Same for Price. It's too large of a risk that could bite you in the ass ( example: Rask for Raycroft, Ribeiro for Niinimaa ).

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
  #31
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This.

We don't need a Patrick Roy/Brodeur caliber goaltender to be successful... Fans are brainwashed because of the mediocrity that has been dressed here for the past 20 years and required Roy to win.

Halak is a good enough goaltender right now, and going forward to bring this team (as long as its built properly infront of him) to glory.
Unless you can build a powerhouse like Pittsburgh or Detroit, star goalie is the easiest way to win a cup. Halak is a good little goalie, but he is more in the Osgood mold than the Roy/Brodeur mold of goalie that can be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
  #32
Mister Tazzi
Registered User
 
Mister Tazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kirkland
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Trotter and White to HAM and Pyatt to MTL lol

Mister Tazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
  #33
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Tazzi View Post
Trotter and White to HAM and Pyatt to MTL lol
I would have kept White

Nice to see Desharnais stays up however.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
  #34
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Gauthier needs to tread carefully. There is a very high potential for his first move to be the kind of monumental mistake you still regret 5 years later.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
  #35
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Trade one of the goalie or sign Plek and I won't be surprise if he land Lecavalier(with a overpament)

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
  #36
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I wish he was bigger, but honestly, size is so ****ing overrated. Look at supposed big teams like Philly, Boston and Toronto. They're no better than us midgets, in fact, IIRC, we're on top of all those teams in the standings right now.

Not targeting you necessarily, mainly those here who think size is the determining factor in being a winner, when it's not.



Exactly, we don't. If we can get good goaltending from Halak long term and if we get a guy like Eberle for Price, then there's no reason not to do that trade...Halak + Eberle >> Price.
There are some very good reasoins NOT to do that trade.

Price has a lot more upside than a guy like Eberle. Eberle gets overrated big time because of McGuire and the WJHC. The guy can finish, no doubt, but he is neither big nor fast, he is a one dimensional player, plus he doesn't fill a need for us, we already have Gionta Cammy Pouliot and AK as top 6 wingers.

Good goaltending gets you into the playoffs, but great goaltending can win you cups(see Patrick Roy and Brodeur).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
  #37
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Trade one of the goalie or sign Plek and I won't be surprise if he land Lecavalier(with a overpament)
Unless Gomez is going the other way, I will personally lead the lynch mob for bringing in ANOTHER albatross contract.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
  #38
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This.

We don't need a Patrick Roy/Brodeur caliber goaltender to be successful... Fans are brainwashed because of the mediocrity that has been dressed here for the past 20 years and required Roy to win.

Halak is a good enough goaltender right now, and going forward to bring this team (as long as its built properly infront of him) to glory.
You mean as long as we draft a Crosby and Malkin in successive drafts to lead us to a cup?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
  #39
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
There is very little from this guy's past to suggest he will make any positive contibutions to Montreal.

Pierre Mgcuire said that he basically inherited the Sens team. And what he did with the Ducks was pretty weak.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
  #40
scottyG
Registered User
 
scottyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
If he trades Price then honestly I wouldn't follow this team anymore. We would be the joke of the league (see toronto 2004-2009). I just don't think Halak is a number 1 goalie. See yesterday how dead he looked? Not the first time he looks out of it after playing 4-5 games straight.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
  #41
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I feel very worried going forward.

I can see a guy like Maxwell being shipped for Whitney. :

I think a cheap rental (as in no need to sell the farm) scoring winger à la Whitney, Ponikarovsky (soon to be UFAs)... would be great! This team, despite everything, is currently in the midst of a tight playoffs race. While waiting for the returns of A. Kostitsyn, Pouliot and Cammalleri, I am sure that the guys would appreciate a gesture from their GM. Imo they deserve it.


As for Pierre Gauthier's first move… Gionta as our new captain?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
He was working for years with Gainey. He already said, that we have 2 good young goalie and it's a 'force' to have.. so I don't think he's going to trade either of them for now.

Subban is a bluechip prospect, he's not going to be trade.

He also mentioned (regarding the goalies): "Never say never...".

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:59 PM
  #42
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You mean as long as we draft a Crosby and Malkin in successive drafts to lead us to a cup?
Yup, Detoit has won tons of cups with amazing goaltending.

I can see how a fanboy with Carey Price as his username could think otherwise.

Montrealers are brainwashed into believing you need a Patrick Roy in nets to be successful because it's been the norm here for the past 25 years. Fact.

Drafting good players is key to the success of a team. We do not have *ONE* game-breaking player on our team, that's a disgrace to the history of this organization.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
  #43
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
I say we're going to trade with LA.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
  #44
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
He also mentioned (regarding the goalies): "Never say never...".

You know how journalists work in Montreal, don't you?

When you say sometimes and you do 'the opposite', they will say that all the time. Like Carbo was the best thing I did... or '5 years plan'.

I think, it's bright to say that everything is possible, but I really doubt that he will trade a goalie at this point.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
  #45
scottyG
Registered User
 
scottyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Yup, Detoit has won tons of cups with amazing goaltending.

I can see how a fanboy with Carey Price as his username could think otherwise.

Montrealers are brainwashed into believing you need a Patrick Roy in nets to be successful because it's been the norm here for the past 25 years. Fact.

Drafting good players is key to the success of a team. We do not have *ONE* game-breaking player on our team, that's a disgrace to the history of this organization.
Dude we are not the red wings. Where Lidstrom,Yzerman? We have Gomez and Markov my friend so yes you need you goalie to pick up the slack that the player's leave behind.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
  #46
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Trade one of the goalie or sign Plek and I won't be surprise if he land Lecavalier(with a overpament)
can ppl finally forget about vinny? Gomez's contract assured us we'll never get him because why would Tampa dump one overpaid C for another? Yes Gomez has less yrs on his contract but still, it doesn't help them.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:06 PM
  #47
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Yup, Detoit has won tons of cups with amazing goaltending.

I can see how a fanboy with Carey Price as his username could think otherwise.

Montrealers are brainwashed into believing you need a Patrick Roy in nets to be successful because it's been the norm here for the past 25 years. Fact.

Drafting good players is key to the success of a team. We do not have *ONE* game-breaking player on our team, that's a disgrace to the history of this organization.
I'm sure Jacques Martin wouldn't disagree with you. I mean, he had Lalime and we all know where that went.

Yep, right through Lalime's legs.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
  #48
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
I'm sure Jacques Martin wouldn't disagree with you. I mean, he had Lalime and we all know where that went.

Yep, right through Lalime's legs.
So you're saying Halak is Lalime?

Jesus.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
  #49
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
I'm sure Jacques Martin wouldn't disagree with you. I mean, he had Lalime and we all know where that went.
I'm sure he would. Unbelievable goaltending is just about the only way he can win games.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
  #50
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
So you're saying Halak is Lalime?

Jesus.
Halak doesn't have the consecutive shutout record in the NHL either (or something like that).

The point is, people who are saying you can get through with decent goaltending is only partially right.

Having a goalie you don't know how he will play like on 90-95% of nights is a crap shoot in the playoffs. Inconsistent goaltending can get you passed great teams like it can sink you in the first round.

You don't need Roy or Brodeur, but having a steady, solid starter will make you a much closer thing to a perennial contender than a stud center.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.