HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Predators vs. Rangers | 02/10/10 | 7PM | MSG (HD) (Update: Game is ON!)

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
RyanBozak

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
What's your username on eastern us weather forums? Nice to see another weather fella on the boards.

And as to someones ratio questions.

Every 1 inch of rain is 10 inches of snow.

1 inch of liquid is 10 inches
2 inch of liquid is 20 inches

so on and so forth.
Definitely! I actually just joined Eastern.. been around on TriStateWeather for 3 years now and Accuwx forums for 2 years or so. I've been lurking over on Eastern for awhile though, some nice people over there. I think I'm ScottB on all of the forums. Don't remember.

As for ratios, looking at something like 10-12:1 for the beginning of the storm, 15-18/20:1 for the back end as the low draws colder air back through the region. Somewhere between .5-1.25 liquid equivalent as of now, setting the image anywhere between 5/6-18+ inches for a good portion of the area. In terms of the cancellation of the game, all depends. With such cyclo/bombogenesis offshore, the set up of mesoscale banding/etc., + factor in how wind acts within the city itself, the potential exists for the game to be postponed. We'll see!

Old
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
That would factor in if we were talking about a weaker system say around 1000mb or more. The dynamics with this one are tremendous. As posted earlier, we can see thundersnow and definitley a period of blizzard like conditions especially by the immediate coast.

This wants to reach around 964 mb with its LP(low pressure). Storms this intense will explode over the benchmark, or a little before it.This helps create its own cold.

We're talking 964 mb here. Thats a category 2 to 3 hurricane if this is in the summer and in the gulf region.

One more note: Winds will be from the west before the storm, only changing to the northeast during it. This is perfect in efforts to minimize any mixing. South east winds could have triggered mixing issues.
Wow! Gotcha....I have no idea exactly how the West wind and North wind effects storms, but being an offshore fisherman I do know that storms with North winds can be flat out hellacious! <--Is that even a word? IDK, but I have seen an ocean kick up fierce, and quick in a North wind.

Old
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I have 32 inches of snow outside my house. Now we're supposed to get 10-20 additional inches on Tuesday-Wednesday. DC is COMPLETELY shut down. Awesome.

Nice GDT.

It's just pain.
Old
02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Well get like 2 inches.

The way the jet stream has been blocking everything i wouldnt be shocked if we didnt get much like last storm.

Plus the weathermen suck and they are almost always wrong 3 days in advance.
While true...its only one day away though

New image..I like posting these

Old
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Rust Heisenberg

my hopes are all high now. i read 4-8 yesterday on accuweather. then i read 8-12 on weather.com which is usually more accurate. now accuweather has revised it to 10-15. but here it looks liek there are some weathermen that acutally know what they are talkign about and if it reverts back to 6 i wil be dispaointed.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
THUNDERSNOW?!?! Yea bring it on!

Old
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
RyanBozak

Not to discredit Accuweather at all.. but in my eyes they are a hyping machine. A lot of very well educated meteorologists with their website aimed towards views and hits. Their "accu alarm" or whatever it is probably the worst thing I've ever seen. Don't trust it.
If you're wondering what a better source is, go to the NWS/NOAA page. They are the ones who put out watches/warnings. Government.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

Edit: Don't even get me started on The Weather Channel.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
FLYLine24*

Apparently ABC thinks we are getting 18-24in now

The numbers keep climbing

If we get 2 feet..the game will 100% be postponed since the city would likely go into state of emergency mode, which means stay the hell inside and don't use the roads. NHL can't allow a game to be played in that.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Not to discredit Accuweather at all.. but in my eyes they are a hyping machine. A lot of very well educated meteorologists with their website aimed towards views and hits. Their "accu alarm" or whatever it is probably the worst thing I've ever seen. Don't trust it.
If you're wondering what a better source is, go to the NWS/NOAA page. They are the ones who put out watches/warnings. Government.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

Edit: Don't even get me started on The Weather Channel.
NOAA are very slow at updating though. I wonder what their numbers will say by tomorrow morning.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
RyanBozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
NOAA are very slow at updating though. I wonder what their numbers will say by tomorrow morning.
Unfortunately you're correct. Unlike a public website like AccuWeather and Weather.com and such, NWS runs on a schedule according to their offices. Most updates are ~9-10pm, 3-4am, 10-11pm, 3-4pm.

The greater New York area runs under the local Upton office. Places further south and west run under Mt.Holly/Philadelphia. Each coverage area will have different update times and everything else. The time I posted above is just my general consensus of Mt.Holly's times.

The difference between NWS/NOAA is more or less they are not allowed to hype. NWS has strict guidelines on what they can or cannot state to the public, unlike Accuweather in this point. If you click on areas in our area.. or rather, go here you can see their "Area Forecast Discussions" that lay out their ideas. Obviously it is not as friendly to the public as other sites, but it gives the general idea of what their thinking is.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Apparently ABC thinks we are getting 18-24in now

The numbers keep climbing

If we get 2 feet..the game will 100% be postponed since the city would likely go into state of emergency mode, which means stay the hell inside and don't use the roads. NHL can't allow a game to be played in that.
No way in hell we'll get that much.

Damn snow. The city is so beautiful when it's snowing, but two days later and it looks like a freaking swamp. And if you drive you're pretty much screwed for a few days

Can't wait to break my camera out for the thundersnow show

Old
02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

I don't think I've seen this many people in a Ranger GDT so excited in a while

Old
02-08-2010, 07:08 PM
CaptainCallahan*

Ryan Callahan should be called Thundersnow!

Old
02-08-2010, 07:17 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Well if this game is played, LETS GO RANGERS!

02-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Boom Quack

The NHL's attempt at attracting more fans

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...to_woo_fans_by

This is the best idea they've ever had, by far!

Old
02-08-2010, 07:49 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr64ny View Post
http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...to_woo_fans_by

This is the best idea they've ever had, by far!
Everybody always makes fun of our sport

But I have to admit that net thing was pretty funny

Old
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
2 days is way too early....but I'll let it stay because the game could get postponed due to a potential for a huge snow storm to hit NYC Wed into Wed Night.

So all talk about the Snow and Potential postponement of the game can go here.
The NHL will only postpone this game if the Predators and/or officials can not get into NYC in time for the game.

Especially in a city with as robust a subway system as NYC, there's a very minute chance the game gets postponed. They really do not like to postpone games in this league due to snow.

Also, the Predators are on Long Island Tuesday night, so they'll already be in town. There's really a very, very small chance they postpone the game.

Old
02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
The NHL will only postpone this game if the Predators and/or officials can not get into NYC in time for the game.

Especially in a city with as robust a subway system as NYC, there's a very minute chance the game gets postponed. They really do not like to postpone games in this league due to snow.

Also, the Predators are on Long Island Tuesday night, so they'll already be in town. There's really a very, very small chance they postpone the game.
If they play this game and there is a small crowd (~1000's) do you think the Rangers will give away something to the fans who made the trip? The Islander have given out free hats and T-Shirts, and one year free tickets, for fans in the snowstorm.

Heck, who am I kidding? This is the Rangers.

FYI I had sold this game earlier in the year, but if I had the tickets still I would be going regardless of the conditions. Anyone wana give me their tickets they wont use?

Old
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Let me also add, during the blizzard back in December, Philly got over a foot of snow, they still played the game despite the blizzard. Same on the Island that same day, when they had 8 inches or so. This game will almost definitely be played, despite the weather.

They even played a game in Washington on Friday night, I think it was, and again on Sunday while the entire city was shut down.

Old
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

New models coming in, will have some analysis a little after 9:30.

Old
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I was excited for office closure on Wednesday. If it's this bad, can I sleep late on Thursday too?

Thanks for the update hp!

Old
02-08-2010, 08:10 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

What sucks for me is that I am off every Wednesday anyway haha. So this storm will have no effect unless accumulations are high enough to impact Thursday.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Old
02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

New models coming in(the Oz nam and ETA) are much wetter. This is going to be an epic storm for the tri-state area.

It cuts amounts in D.C., but almost doubles them in the NYC area.

10-20" per latest guidance, locally 2 feet or more for nyc and points east-north-east.

Blizzard conditions, maybe even a blizzard watch warranted after what I saw tonight.

Thundersnow chances have definitley increased even more.

Old
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
RyanBozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
What sucks for me is that I am off every Wednesday anyway haha. So this storm will have no effect unless accumulations are high enough to impact Thursday.

Keeping my fingers crossed
I think it will more or less depend on how good of a job the cleanup crew can do.. as it will be snowing until Midnight or later Wednesday night. Factor in winds and drifting and it could be a mess. In fact, one of the computer models that showed a southern shift last run.. just came out. This run it has gone back to it's earlier solution and nails the entire NYC are with 1.00-1.25+ liquid precip while LI gets even more.

And in terms of the game being canceled... I don't think it will be at all. Didn't know the Preds were already up here.

Old
02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
RyanBozak

Quote:
New models coming in(the Oz nam and ETA) are much wetter. This is going to be an epic storm for the tri-state area.

It cuts amounts in D.C., but almost doubles them in the NYC area.

10-20" per latest guidance, locally 2 feet or more for nyc and points east-north-east.

Blizzard conditions, maybe even a blizzard watch warranted after what I saw tonight.

Thundersnow chances have definitley increased even more.

Funny we just both posted right after the NAM came out rofl. I've been waiting for this run for a day now.

Closed Thread