HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will Gauthier's first moves as GM be?

Old
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
can ppl finally forget about vinny? Gomez's contract assured us we'll never get him because why would Tampa dump one overpaid C for another? Yes Gomez has less yrs on his contract but still, it doesn't help them.
. Gomez don't have to be trade to Tampa

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I think he'll trade Weber and a 3rd for Ray Whitney. Just a hunch. I feel like Gauthier will want to show the Molson's that he'll do all he can to get us into the playoffs, and a scoring winger for the here and now is what we're desperately missing.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I think he'll trade Weber and a 3rd for Ray Whitney. Just a hunch. I feel like Gauthier will want to show the Molson's that he'll do all he can to get us into the playoffs, and a scoring winger for the here and now is what we're desperately missing.
At least we know this won't be happening.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Miller Time

whatever the move is, it won't be something that hasn't already been in the works, at least from an internal discussion pov.

With Gainey staying on as an "advisor", Gauthier obviously has a strong working relationship with Gainey, so you'd think they share a similar vision for the direction of the team (even if that means sharing the "lack of vision" we've watched unfold).

Unless he goes out and does something major in unloading a big contract guy Gainey brought in this past offseason (Gomez/Gionta/Spacek), I think we'll see Gainey's prints all over whatever move(s) get made in the next few weeks.

Personally, I'm hoping that he's got his own plan/vision/identity that he will gradually work to move the team towards... but I fear that's wishful thinking.

that said, my guess is that the major move, if any, will be going after a guy like Whitney or Kariya, giving up picks or prospects in the process... i hope I'm wrong.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Leo Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Halak doesn't have the consecutive shutout record in the NHL either (or something like that).
Neither does Lalime? Sure you aren't thinking of Brian Boucher?

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
At least we know this won't be happening.
Um ok, a 4th? I don't know what picks we've traded away.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

What if Price becomes Martin Brodeur and Halak becomes Dominic Hasek

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
On what?

Halak has been consistently the better goaltender in each of the last two seasons, and the only reason Price got the nod before Halak in 2007/2008 is because Gainey forced Carbo's hand.

Price is all smoke and mirrors, if Price was a 4th round selection no one would even be discussing this so called goalie controversy, because Halak is that much better right now.

Given Halak's age and numbers, there is no facts to deny this team could be competitive around him if built properly for the next 10 years. Disprove this.
I dare you to go look at Price's and Halak's game log from this season. They are both inconsistent. In fact, I would say Halak has been mediocre these last two games (Pittsburgh, Boston) and seems to run down after a few good games whether it's due to small size/consistency. Halak has gotten shut-outs this season (good for him) but has also let in SEVERAL GOALS in regulation many times. Look at his games against New Yorkx2, Pittsburgh, Buffalox2, Atlanta, Florida, etc.

In November, Price played great and everyone was happy. Fans surely have forgotten so quickly.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
I dare you to go look at Price's and Halak's game log from this season. They are both inconsistent. In fact, I would say Halak has been mediocre these last two games (Pittsburgh, Boston) and seems to run down after a few good games whether it's due to small size/consistency. Halak has gotten shut-outs this season (good for him) but has also let in SEVERAL GOALS in regulation many times. Look at his games against New Yorkx2, Pittsburgh, Buffalox2, Atlanta, Florida, etc.

In November, Price played great and everyone was happy. Fans surely have forgotten so quickly.
My argument wasn't that Halak is more consistent, he isn't perfect neither. At their respective points in their careers, Halak is a head of Price right now.

Let me be straight forward, I don't want Price traded unless it's for a severe overpayment... So it's not going to happen, either way, and I support that.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Habit11

another thread about to be hijacked by the boring price v halak argument

Gauthier needs to move Spacek because he's out of place on the right side, he's old, and his contract is eating cap space this team doesn't have to spare. Mara needs to go now because he won't be back next year, and same for Metropolit. No need for those 3 guys, and if he can get 3 picks for those guys, then he'll prove to be an upgrade on BG.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
another thread about to be hijacked by the boring price v halak argument

Gauthier needs to move Spacek because he's out of place on the right side, he's old, and his contract is eating cap space this team doesn't have to spare. Mara needs to go now because he won't be back next year, and same for Metropolit. No need for those 3 guys, and if he can get 3 picks for those guys, then he'll prove to be an upgrade on BG.
No team in the league is going to want Spacek at that salary, unless we are receiving more dead weight coming the other way.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Habit11

Quote:
No team in the league is going to want Spacek at that salary, unless we are receiving more dead weight coming the other way.
You never know, maybe a team that needs a veteran to help out their young D, like Atlanta. Personally, I'd try moving Spacek for Armstrong, but add to the deal a pick going to Atl, if the Habs were to sign him. But, yeah anything to get that contract off the books would be a home run.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
On what?

Halak has been consistently the better goaltender in each of the last two seasons, and the only reason Price got the nod before Halak in 2007/2008 is because Gainey forced Carbo's hand.

Price is all smoke and mirrors, if Price was a 4th round selection no one would even be discussing this so called goalie controversy, because Halak is that much better right now.
Given Halak's age and numbers, there is no facts to deny this team could be competitive around him if built properly for the next 10 years. Disprove this.
That's demeaning of you. Given Price's junior record, Price would have been considered a first rounder in the 2005 draft by every scout even if his team was set in goal. Given his AHL and international record, every GM would have evaluated him as a prospect worthy of a top 10 pick. Given his comparative record vs. Huet on the Habs, most GMs and coaches would have considered him to be a #1 for their team either right away or a couple of years in the future. Besides, you don't know if Halak won't turn out to be another Carrey or Raycroft.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:50 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That's demeaning of you. Given Price's junior record, Price would have been considered a first rounder in the 2005 draft by every scout even if his team was set in goal. Given his AHL and international record, every GM would have evaluated him as a prospect worthy of a top 10 pick. Given his comparative record vs. Huet on the Habs, most GMs and coaches would have considered him to be a #1 for their team either right away or a couple of years in the future. Besides, you don't know if Halak won't turn out to be another Carrey or Raycroft.
You get what I meant though.

The only reason there is question as to who is #1 right now (not going forward, but right now, this season) is because Price is a first-round pick and was hyped up as the next Patrick Roy.

We don't know if Price will be another Raycroft either? Price's mental make-up leaves MUCH to be desired, only time will tell if he can turn it around.

Halak has better AHL numbers then Price in a vast majority more games played, and even Price's amazing playoffs performance is only marginally better statisticly then Halak's AHL career average. Is it possible Price got all the hype because he's a good old Canadian boy? I like Price, I just don't like that everyone anoits him the saviour when frankly he hasn't accomplished much since his rookie season to give him such a status.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:51 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
If we can get Eberle for Price, and Halak becomes a Vokoun, then **** yes!
So far Halak looks like a young Vokoun. I am a little concern about the last game. You can see that he was tired. Does he have enough stamina for 60+ games/season. If we do trade with the Oilers, the player I want is Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson. He listed as LW but I think I saw him played center in WJC. He is big player with good speed and skill.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
So far Halak looks like a young Vokoun. I am a little concern about the last game. You can see that he was tired. Does he have enough stamina for 60+ games/season. If we do trade with the Oilers, the player I want is Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson. He listed as LW but I think I saw him played center in WJC. He is big player with good speed and skill.
It was his third start in 4 days, it's seldom a goaltender see's that kind of action.. He was hardly at fault for the loss though, one shot got deflected by White and the other goal hit one of our players onto Sturm's stick and into an empty net. 1 bad goal in a 3-0 game when the game was already out of reach is pretty forgiving IMO.

Stamina is an issue we will have to look at going forward though, I agree. In both goalies cases.

Old
02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
Neither does Lalime? Sure you aren't thinking of Brian Boucher?
Sorry, he has the Sens club record shutout streak and has an NHL playoff record 4 shutouts.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
What if Price becomes Martin Brodeur and Halak becomes Dominic Hasek
I'll take Martin Brodeur thank you.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Name Lapierre captain
Re-sign Bergeron.
Bring Laraque back.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Next Best Thing*

I think his first real move should be to send Price over to Philadelphia for JVR.

Sacrifice a netminder for a stud 20 year old with size taken second overall.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
BakerNator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Bring Laraque back.
Seriously, does this affect the Laraque situation?

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I think his first real move should be to send Price over to Philadelphia for JVR.

Sacrifice a netminder for a stud 20 year old with size taken second overall.
If that offer was on the table, I'd be very tempted to accept.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Name Lapierre captain
Re-sign Bergeron.
Bring Laraque back.
Un-retire Brisebois!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
HABSINCE76

2nd round pick to Toronto for Ponikaralfskies
Dagostini,Mara,!rst round pick to Phoenix for Peter Mueller and a 3rd round pick

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:16 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Not true, Prices selection was off the board in 2005. He was projected as a 1st rounder, but not top10 and certainly not top 5.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote