HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella preaches patience with Rangers

Old
02-08-2010, 06:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Tortorella preaches patience with Rangers

Arthur Staple of Newsday spoke with Torts

Quote:
"I just don't think we can knee-jerk and always look at short term," Tortorella told Newsday in an exclusive interview. "People may not like to hear that. But from a head coach's point of view, I think we need to build. We need to build. We'll suffer as we're trying to build here, and the ups and downs we have, but patience is a huge word for our organization right now."
Staple mentioned the Rangers core of young players and followed that up with this Torts quote

Quote:
"That's the exciting part about this hockey club," he said. "We have holes. But the thing that's very important about this team is we have a goaltender, we have a star player and a really good, young core.

"That's what needs to be built around. We have to keep using that core, and eventually, when we get to where we want to be, we'll be there for a while."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-1.1749305

Staple surmises the Rangers won't make any major moves unless a team is willing to trade for either Redden or Rozsival and have an eye towards the future.

The Olympic roster freeze begins Friday at 3pm. Ends on February 28. Trading deadline is 3 days later on March 3.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
hlundqvist30*

Good to hear, but until our horrible contracts are gone it means nothing.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Well, aside from: they're not trading youth so you better get used to what you've got.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Sounds like Torts has it figured out. Staple is absolutely correct though, no more big moves will be or can be made unless it involves Redden, Rozsival, or Drury. Once those bums are gone, this team will really be in the clear for a run at the Cup if managed correctly.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:46 PM
ThirdEye

They'll probably get "where they want to be" when they lose the dead-weight and the cap space is used more appropriately. Unfortunately, who knows what will happen by then. Replace Drury and Redden with players even worth half their money and we make the playoffs this season without breaking a sweat.

The core of this team right now is excellent, but bad contracts bad contracts bad contracts are crippling us.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:56 PM
morffin

loving what Im hearing and seeing from this org the last 2 or 3 years...FINALY!! ..after 40+ years of rooting for this team they are dedicated to player dev...and with the $$$$$ this org. has...it is going to be scary what kind of player dev. program they can put together.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
NYR Viper

Excited if they follow through.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Rustingo12

Ranger fans we must sit and wait and hope for the best. After this year there is only two more years of Drury. After that we will have a new captain and a real captain and also a new and young core. This is really the sad situation we're in. Trade Rozsival or/and Redden or nothing else. I guess he tells it like it is.

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
morffin

[QUOTE=hockeyviper87;23758971]Excited if they follow through.[/QUOTE

me too.... not trading the kids for Kovy is a good sign.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:26 PM
NYROrtsFan

Torts has it correct...

It almost sounds like he's having this discussion with Sather too. My guess is Sather wants to keep doing what he's done and bring in guys, but Torts is the one saying to hold off. Just be patient. Losing sucks but sometimes you have to lose a bit to win a lot.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Yep, and the fact that Prospal might be a good deadline rental for another team.

These quotes are a STEP in the right direction. It indicates Tortorella realizes this team doesn't have playoff potential, and he's probably talked with Sather about this. Which also probably triggered a Higgins/Kotalik release for pending UFA Jokinen, but, like you said, until the abysmal contracts are gone, it means nothing.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Agree with Torts on this one. He sees the writing on the wall with this team.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Rustingo12

Words of wisdom by Tortorella sums it up.

Rustingo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
frankthefrowner

Torts is a good coach. This team is a mess but torts is the least of our issues.

Ive said it before but we cannot fire torts that would give the players far to much power.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Surprised to see so many of you eating this up.

This is what I'd like to hear from Torts THIS OFFSEASON. Not now in the middle of what should be a playoff hunt. He hasn't gotten this team to buy into any kind of system or philosophy. They're a different team every night. If Hank stands on his head and Gaborik scores, we can win. That's the identity of this undercoached, underachieving team.

Torts is just as much to blame as Sather for the team's inconsistent performance this year. We could have 10-20 more points if we decided to show up before the 3rd period in some of our games. When the effort and preparation just isn't there on a consistent basis, it falls on the coach. Other coaches have gotten much more out of less many times. Say what you want; this team played with a more consistent EFFORT under Tom Renney. And I agreed at the time that Renney needed to go, but Torts just hasn't done the job he promised... not even close. And I refuse to let him off the hook for that just because he's stating the obvious that we have a good young core, a superstar goalie, and a superstar forward. Any of us could've told you that at the beginning of the season. Torts is a bull**** artist. He preaches accountability but accepts no responsibility himself. Where was the accountability for putting out 5 forwards on a 5 on 4 in a SCORELESS ROAD GAME?? Color me unimpressed.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 02-08-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:25 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Torts is a good coach. This team is a mess but torts is the least of our issues.

Ive said it before but we cannot fire torts that would give the players far to much power.
Agree 100%. Can't let the inmates run the Asylum.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:26 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Ugh! Fire Tortorella he basically said we're not a playoff team

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Very happy to hear that he sees the core of this team as a solid one that they can build upon. Looks like they will not be dealing any of them...But does these comments mean they could potentially be sellers?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Very happy to hear that he sees the core of this team as a solid one that they can build upon. Looks like they will not be dealing any of them...But does these comments mean they could potentially be sellers?
Thats what i'm taking from it. Building towards tomorrow means trade UFAs like Prospal and Olli for young guys and picks. I do think we can get something for Rozsival as well.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post

so is the reasoning for giving Torts a pass because he is a good coach or is it the fear of anarchy in the locker room?

i dont understand how all of a sudden ( a week before the olympic break) he makes this statement and all is right with the world, torts is again our guy...i dont get it.

Preaches patience meanwhile he benches good young players (lisin) so he can waste minutes on the likes of brashear. Mr patience who cant keep the same lines together for more than a period. please, just please.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
With Sather titled GM, I highly doubt it.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Crease

Smart man, that guy. He needs some more shirts and ties though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Sounds like Torts has it figured out. Staple is absolutely correct though, no more big moves will be or can be made unless it involves Redden, Rozsival, or Drury. Once those bums are gone, this team will really be in the clear for a run at the Cup if managed correctly.
And we've gotta just hope they know that. At least it sounds like Torts does. You can't build in a few weeks. But 2012 is not that far away...and on a shorter time frame even 2011 is likely to be better.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Yep, and the fact that Prospal might be a good deadline rental for another team.

These quotes are a STEP in the right direction. It indicates Tortorella realizes this team doesn't have playoff potential, and he's probably talked with Sather about this. Which also probably triggered a Higgins/Kotalik release for pending UFA Jokinen, but, like you said, until the abysmal contracts are gone, it means nothing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it would be nearly criminal if they don't at least try and trade Prospal and Jokinen for a couple 2nd round picks before the deadline. One more solid draft and this team will be on its way.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:08 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

what a boat load of crap. torts talking patience ? gimme a break.

as ght said, he benches the young guys, makes an example out of lisin over and over and manages the lines like a kid with add.

this is self preservation plain and simple. hes reading the corporate script, towing the company line. we pretty much suck but we need to be patient.... well duh torts. dreary, blowzy and dreaden are gonna require alot of patience. they are here for a while still.

that statement is all about next year and keeping his job this year. hes been pretty awful so far, like the bulk of his roster.

i cant help but think back to the presser after the islanders debacle where uncle larry caught torts off guard by asking what he could do to make things better, what he could do differently and torts had no answer. none. like he had no idea that it could be him.

i happen to agree that this team is weak, soft and poorly constructed. too many highly paid players who are flat out awful.

patience, oh yes, well need alot of that..... i doubt torts is the guy to lead by example however.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 02-08-2010 at 09:16 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote