HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR's ice time

Old
02-08-2010, 10:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
JVR's ice time

Not sure if anyone else heard this tonight on the broadcast, but Keith Jones said that Laviolette is trying to "find" JVR ice time. As it stands amongst first year players, Jones said that JVR is 54th in terms of ice time. I checked ESPN and JVR is getting 13:04 of ice time per game. Now, maybe it's just me, but the guy has outperformed Gagne and Hartnell, yet they still get more ice time than JVR. Gagne gets 5:05 more in ice time and Hartnell gets 2:44 more.

So, what does JVR need to do to get more ice time in Philadelphia? (besides make 4.25 or 5.05 million dollars)

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

The question is should he be getting more ice time. I mean yeah, he's having an excellent rookie season but there's no need to overwork him. If he's being effective with his current ice time, don't ruin it.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Eh, we're bringing him along slowly.

At UNH in his first year, JVR mainly played on the 2nd line and did very well, and then stepped up and shouldered the load when asked to carry the offense the next year.

So maybe there's a similar type thing at work.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I guess you mean 4.20 million or 5.25 million.

And it doesnt really matter, he plays well with Giroux and Asham, and is starting to get PP time. You want to toss him on the PK or something?

Add to that the fact that NCAA seasons are very short and he isnt used to a 82 game schedule, I think around 14 mins is fine for him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Some more PP time might be apt. He's getting 1:32/game (more than I thought). But I think his ice time is being kept down so that he doesn't wear out, since he's not really used to the schedule.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Clown Baby

As rookies:
Simon Gagne - 48 PTS 14:58 ATOI
Jeff Carter - 42 PTS 11:56 ATOI
Mike Richards - 34 PTS 15:11 ATOI
James van Riemsdyk - 32 PTS 13:07 ATOI
Claude Giroux - 27 PTS 15:10 ATOI

Three of those players are All-Stars. Why change an obviously winning formula?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:10 AM
langerrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post
The question is should he be getting more ice time. I mean yeah, he's having an excellent rookie season but there's no need to overwork him. If he's being effective with his current ice time, don't ruin it.
Yet you would leave Gagne to the amount of ice time hes getting just to squander every offensive opportunity? Put someone out there who wants to play, Gagne has been an effortless waste of space.

langerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:57 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by langerrr View Post
Yet you would leave Gagne to the amount of ice time hes getting just to squander every offensive opportunity? Put someone out there who wants to play, Gagne has been an effortless waste of space.
You run the risk of wearing him down too much.

JVR is currently 3rd in points for Rookies. He's 1 behind Tavares and 8 behind Duchene. He has played about 300 less minutes of overall ice time than both in 4 less games. Tavares, who is supposed to be miles ahead of JVR in terms of raw talent has already hit his wall. So much that it will probably cost the Isles a good playoff chance. I see them falling quickly. Duchene is still chugging at a decent pace, but you have to think he's going to hit a wall at some point. Playing JVR less will pay dividends later on. Just look at tonight. 54 games into the season for him, and he's playing like it's October. With the break, he'll be even more fresh than a lot of guys in the league, especially the ones that are going to play in the Olympics.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
JVR should be kept where he is at on the 3rd line. His play this season has been fine.
he could end up with 40-45 points which would be pretty good consitering the ice time he has got for the most part this season

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Morinisbear

Is it me or does he really step it up against the Devils? Every time we have played them this year he looks ten times faster than any other player out there! Hmm, maybe I should put this in the GTD?

Anyway, I like him on the 3rd line with opportunities on higher lines from time to time. I like how they are bringing him along and wouldnt mind a little more ice time....just don't over do it.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Is it me or does he really step it up against the Devils? Every time we have played them this year he looks ten times faster than any other player out there! Hmm, maybe I should put this in the GTD?

Anyway, I like him on the 3rd line with opportunities on higher lines from time to time. I like how they are bringing him along and wouldnt mind a little more ice time....just don't over do it.
I honestly think he still doesn't realize how much faster he is than most NHL players. You hear so much about the speed of the NHL and the better talent of the NHL and etc. in NCAA and I think JVR has been a little more cautious.

You see on nights like last night when he uses his speed, stickhandling, passing, and physicality, he's basically unplayable.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote