HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella preaches patience with Rangers

Old
02-08-2010, 10:11 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

vCash: 500
Nothing will change until we lose the 4th liner getting paid $7 million a year and the third pair defenseman getting 9 minutes a night who is paid $6.5 million a year.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
what a boat load of crap. torts talking patience ? gimme a break.

as ght said, he benches the young guys, makes an example out of lisin over and manages the lines like a kid with add.

this is self preservation plain and simple. hes reading the corporate script, towing the company line. we pretty much suck but we need to be patient.... well duh torts.

that statement is all about next year and keeping his job this year.

hes been pretty awful so far, like the bulk of his roster.

i happen to agree that this team is weak, soft and poorly constructed. too many highly paid players who are flat out awful.

patience, oh yes, well need alot of that..... i doubt torts is the guy to lead by example however.
lisin

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Crease

Quote:

as ght said, he benches the young guys, makes an example out of lisin over and manages the lines like a kid with add.

this is self preservation plain and simple. hes reading the corporate script, towing the company line. we pretty much suck but we need to be patient.... well duh torts.

that statement is all about next year and keeping his job this year. hes been pretty awful so far, like the bulk of his roster.

i cant help but think back to the presser after the islanders debacle where uncle larry caught torts off guard by asking what he could do to make things better, what he could do differently and torts had no answer. none. like he had no idea that it could be him.

i happen to agree that this team is weak, soft and poorly constructed. too many highly paid players who are flat out awful.

patience, oh yes, well need alot of that..... i doubt torts is the guy to lead by example however.
It could also be that Torts was given a crappy roster and was forced by management to try to work magic and get this group of overpaid vets and unseasoned rookies into the playoffs.

Just sayin'.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Kind of Blue

Torts:

Quote:
I just don't think we can knee-jerk and always look at short term. People may not like to hear that. But from a head coach's point of view, I think we need to build. We need to build. We'll suffer as we're trying to build here, and the ups and downs we have, but patience is a huge word for our organization right now
Translation:

Quote:
I know I'm doing a ****** job, but please don't fire me yet. We'll eventually be better. I promise.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:18 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Words <<<< Actions

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
so is the reasoning for giving Torts a pass because he is a good coach or is it the fear of anarchy in the locker room?

i dont understand how all of a sudden ( a week before the olympic break) he makes this statement and all is right with the world, torts is again our guy...i dont get it.

Preaches patience meanwhile he benches good young players (lisin) so he can waste minutes on the likes of brashear. Mr patience who cant keep the same lines together for more than a period. please, just please.
Quote:

as ght said, he benches the young guys, makes an example out of lisin over and over and manages the lines like a kid with add.

this is self preservation plain and simple. hes reading the corporate script, towing the company line. we pretty much suck but we need to be patient.... well duh torts. dreary, blowzy and dreaden are gonna require alot of patience. they are here for a while still.

that statement is all about next year and keeping his job this year. hes been pretty awful so far, like the bulk of his roster.

i cant help but think back to the presser after the islanders debacle where uncle larry caught torts off guard by asking what he could do to make things better, what he could do differently and torts had no answer. none. like he had no idea that it could be him.

You can look as far back as the playoff series vs the caps. He scratches Avery after taking 2 bad penalties, then he throws a water bottle at a fan and gets suspended himself. Completely hypocritical. He preaches accountability yet he never admits he's done any wrong and literally dodges and refuses to answer any question about his mis-management. Now he's preaching patience? The above posters said it best. The guy is a hot-head and it was a welcome change after last year's team had tuned out Renney but at this point, I have to think Renney would've gotten better results and a more consistent effort out of this year's team and if he hadn't, he wouldn't be hiding and spewing this crap about the team having holes and needing to be patient when they should be trying to make the playoffs. As flawed as this team is, you never know what can happen if Dubi or Cally or Jokinen or anyone else gets hot at the right time, with Gaborik and Lundqvist being who they are. It's not always the best team that wins. It's often the team that gets hot at the right time. This is more true in a sport like baseball but it applies here as well, and it's certainly not refreshing to hear your coach sound like he doesn't have any confidence in his team at this time of the year.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:05 PM
showjaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Nothing will change until we lose the 4th liner getting paid $7 million a year and the third pairing defensemen getting 9 minutes a night each who eat $11.5 million of the NYR cap.
FYP

There will be another overhaul this off-season, and it will involve all 3 albatrosses. One will be bought out/one will be waived and subsequently sent to the minors/the other will be traded.

showjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:10 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR censored View Post
FYP

There will be another overhaul this off-season, and it will involve all 3 albatrosses. One will be bought out/one will be waived and subsequently sent to the minors/the other will be traded.
In fantasyland Rozy gets traded for an elebentieth round pick, Dreary gets bought out and Wendy gets exiled to Hartford for the remainder of his contract.

In reality world Rozy gets traded for an elebentieth round pick,Drury remains the highest paid 4th liner in NHL history and Wendy gets exiled to Hartford for the remainder of his contract.

Well, we can hope can't we?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I would be excited to hear those words coming out of Sather's mouth. Otherwise, while they are wise words, they are just that, words.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
NYR Viper

The funny thing is that many think this year should be a rebuilding year and yet when Torts says it people jump all over him. At least we can all see why he said "people may not like it" because many here have 0 patience with anything. Yes, lets change the coach after 1 season. Lets trade for some random rental when this team is no where near contending. Lets just play young players without accountability. Patience, Torts knows more about hockey and what is going on with this team than any(except for a couple) posters here.

Relax, realize that if they follow what they say that it is a step forward.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:58 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Nothing will change until we lose the 4th liner getting paid $7 million a year and the third pair defenseman getting 9 minutes a night who is paid $6.5 million a year.
Exactly.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The funny thing is that many think this year should be a rebuilding year and yet when Torts says it people jump all over him. At least we can all see why he said "people may not like it" because many here have 0 patience with anything. Yes, lets change the coach after 1 season. Lets trade for some random rental when this team is no where near contending. Lets just play young players without accountability. Patience, Torts knows more about hockey and what is going on with this team than any(except for a couple) posters here.

Relax, realize that if they follow what they say that it is a step forward.
Wrong. This is not, nor should it be a "rebuilding" year. This should be a "transition" year. As close to a true rebuild as you'll probably ever see this franchise go through started years ago. We shouldn't be giving up quality youth for nothing. However, some of you "youth movement" guys blindly refuse to give up youth at all costs just because they're youth. That's not how you build a winner either. Each move should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Wild generalizations like saying anyone outside of Lundqvist and Gaborik (and to a lesser extent Staal and DZ) are "UNTOUCHABLE" is a joke. That doesn't mean you throw away players like Dubinsky, Girardi, Gilroy, Callahan, Anisimov, etc. They're all good players. But if the right deal presents itself, they're not untouchable.

Furthermore, I don't think any of us were saying that Torts should be "fired" at this point. We're simply not impressed with his body of work so far. He doesn't hold himself to the same standards he claims to hold his players to, and he seems to have favorites and double-standards at times when it comes to who plays, and who gets ice-time. I just think it's ridiculous how many positive responses there were because Torts verbalized what all of us here knew starting the season, and even earlier: that we have a superstar goalie, a superstar forward, and a good, developing young core.

No, I still do not believe Torts has the pulse of this team. I'm not saying anyone here could do a better job COACHING or MANAGING this team. But, in my humble opinion, a lot of posters here apparently do have a better understanding of what is wrong with this team's attitude / identity or lack thereof. There's no consistency in their efforts nor their gameplan. That falls on coaching. Period.

And who said we should be trading for some "random rental" as you put it? Most of your post has little relevance in this discussion.

My (and I believe some others as well) major issue is that his comments seemed to send the message that he doesn't have confidence in his team to even make the playoffs, let alone do anything in them. While realistically, this team isn't built to be a contender, a coach should not be talking like this when we're 2 points out of a playoff spot and in the hunt with 7 other teams. His focus should be on making the playoffs unless of course Sather has told him the plan is to tank (which has clearly not happened, at least not yet). He should be saying "My focus right now is getting this team into the playoffs. We can talk about the future in the offseason." Talking about being patient and building a core at THIS POINT IN THE SEASON is Islander-ish and I'm sure that's why it rubbed some of us the wrong way. Nobody said he should be fired. Just that his comments are hypocritical (as he holds players to standards that he doesn't uphold himself) and he hasn't done what he said he would when he was hired, which was to get this team to give a consistent 110% effort every night and play an in-your-face brand of hockey. It hasn't happened, and as much as you can point fingers at Sather for handing out big contracts, those contracts were there before this season, and Torts simply hasn't gotten enough out of the players on this team.

Finally, having the attitude that it's okay to keep playing this mediocre .500 hockey and just barely miss the playoffs is not a step forward. We can make the playoffs, take our chances, and still not be giving up on the future. At the very least, our young players get more playoff experience and you never know what happens if the right players get hot at the right time. Torts' focus RIGHT NOW should be on this playoff hunt, not telling us about being patient. In the offseason, we can talk about all that. Not now.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:22 AM
The New Originals

Patience isn't exactly what the Rangers have been good at historically, but I do agree with Torts even though it's a rather obvious point to make. I'm not entirely opposed to big FA signings if the player is actually worth the money. The way to success is a smart combination of drafting and free agent signings. It's not Torts I'm worried about - it's Sather. I get the worst feeling in my stomach when I envision him trading Drury in another Gomez-esque deal, and then following it up a week later by signing Marleau to a 35 million/5 years deal.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Wrong. This is not, nor should it be a "rebuilding" year. This should be a "transition" year. As close to a true rebuild as you'll probably ever see this franchise go through started years ago. We shouldn't be giving up quality youth for nothing. However, some of you "youth movement" guys blindly refuse to give up youth at all costs just because they're youth. That's not how you build a winner either. Each move should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Wild generalizations like saying anyone outside of Lundqvist and Gaborik (and to a lesser extent Staal and DZ) are "UNTOUCHABLE" is a joke. That doesn't mean you throw away players like Dubinsky, Girardi, Gilroy, Callahan, Anisimov, etc. They're all good players. But if the right deal presents itself, they're not untouchable.

Furthermore, I don't think any of us were saying that Torts should be "fired" at this point. We're simply not impressed with his body of work so far. He doesn't hold himself to the same standards he claims to hold his players to, and he seems to have favorites and double-standards at times when it comes to who plays, and who gets ice-time. I just think it's ridiculous how many positive responses there were because Torts verbalized what all of us here knew starting the season, and even earlier: that we have a superstar goalie, a superstar forward, and a good, developing young core.

No, I still do not believe Torts has the pulse of this team. I'm not saying anyone here could do a better job COACHING or MANAGING this team. But, in my humble opinion, a lot of posters here apparently do have a better understanding of what is wrong with this team's attitude / identity or lack thereof. There's no consistency in their efforts nor their gameplan. That falls on coaching. Period.

And who said we should be trading for some "random rental" as you put it? Most of your post has little relevance in this discussion.

My (and I believe some others as well) major issue is that his comments seemed to send the message that he doesn't have confidence in his team to even make the playoffs, let alone do anything in them. While realistically, this team isn't built to be a contender, a coach should not be talking like this when we're 2 points out of a playoff spot and in the hunt with 7 other teams. His focus should be on making the playoffs unless of course Sather has told him the plan is to tank (which has clearly not happened, at least not yet). He should be saying "My focus right now is getting this team into the playoffs. We can talk about the future in the offseason." Talking about being patient and building a core at THIS POINT IN THE SEASON is Islander-ish and I'm sure that's why it rubbed some of us the wrong way. Nobody said he should be fired. Just that his comments are hypocritical (as he holds players to standards that he doesn't uphold himself) and he hasn't done what he said he would when he was hired, which was to get this team to give a consistent 110% effort every night and play an in-your-face brand of hockey. It hasn't happened, and as much as you can point fingers at Sather for handing out big contracts, those contracts were there before this season, and Torts simply hasn't gotten enough out of the players on this team.

Finally, having the attitude that it's okay to keep playing this mediocre .500 hockey and just barely miss the playoffs is not a step forward. We can make the playoffs, take our chances, and still not be giving up on the future. At the very least, our young players get more playoff experience and you never know what happens if the right players get hot at the right time. Torts' focus RIGHT NOW should be on this playoff hunt, not telling us about being patient. In the offseason, we can talk about all that. Not now.
God forbid someone in this organization has the balls to be honest about the current state and direction of the team.

Lundqvist admitted it himself:

Quote:
"We are what we are - we're not a top team," the goaltender said. "We are in the pack there, we're right in the middle and we're going to fight for the last couple spots in the playoffs. I know I have to play my best hockey right now for this team to have a chance."

Seems like some fans can't get over the fact that this team, as currently constructed, is just not that good.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I understand that is not how you build a winner. I never stated anything close to "untouchables".

Quote:
There have been people clamoring for him to get fired. Redden is a 3rd pairing defense-man now getting 9-13 minutes a night because he is playing like ****. He was sat earlier in the season. Kotalik was benched for not doing what he needed to in order to fit into the style. Drury is a 4th line center playing <10 minutes a night. That is what I call accountability. People aren't playing well, so they don't play, far from what used to occur.

It is exciting because no one from this organization has done this in many, many years. It is exciting because instead of looking to "just" make the playoffs to lose immediately in the 1st round someone has the where-with-all to actually look to the future and understand that while this may not be the year, the team should be patient instead of trying to push when there is very little point.

Quote:
It doesn't fall totally on the coaching, at a certain point the effort has to come to the players. Maybe the team just isn't constructed properly at all, which is obvious. Sure, there are some posters here who have a very good understanding of what this team needs, I have stated as much before, however Torts was "given" most of this team. Redden, Rozsival and Drury, who have all been playing well below their potential were all here before him. He had no say so he needs to do with what he has. That is a collective 18.5 million in 3 players who are playing like they are worth about a total of 5 million. That is a lot of wasted cap space.

Quote:

Look around the forum.

Quote:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. He was asked a question, he answered it. He is saying EXACTLY what we already know, this team isn't a "true" Cup contender this season. They have a good core together right now who has actually played pretty well under Torts. For the most part, they haven't been the problem this season.

Of course the team can't play an "in-your-face" style right now, it isn't built that way. Many players who were here at the beginning of the season(some of whom are still here) can't play that style because either their skating isn't up to par or they aren't physical at all. One season is not enough to build a team to fit a system.

Why do you think team's like Buffalo and Detroit are always so good? They barely ever change coaches so it allows for young players to grow in a certain system and eventually make it second nature so that they can just play the game. That hasn't happened for most of the team yet(barring players who like to play that way, Callahan, Dubinsky).

Quote:

The problem with this team has been they have been "okay" with the fact that they will make the playoffs and see what happens. Making the playoffs only to get swept or destroyed in 5 games does nothing except get some young players a few games of experience and move your draft position down.

I am not for "just missing" the playoffs. I am not for tanking. I want this team to make the playoffs. However, what I do not want is for Sather to go out and trade another 2nd rounder for a rental(ala Antropov) in order for this team to squeak into the playoffs and lose in the 1st round again. That is pointless. Hold onto your assets and allow them to develop and build the correct way and good things will happen in the long-run.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:51 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:

as ght said, he benches the young guys, makes an example out of lisin over and over and manages the lines like a kid with add.

this is self preservation plain and simple. hes reading the corporate script, towing the company line. we pretty much suck but we need to be patient.... well duh torts. dreary, blowzy and dreaden are gonna require alot of patience. they are here for a while still.

This...

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:53 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It could also be that Torts was given a crappy roster and was forced by management to try to work magic and get this group of overpaid vets and unseasoned rookies into the playoffs.

Just sayin'.
Kind'a like what happened to Renney?

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:54 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Arthur Staple of Newsday spoke with Torts

Staple mentioned the Rangers core of young players and followed that up with this Torts quote

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-1.1749305

Staple surmises the Rangers won't make any major moves unless a team is willing to trade for either Redden or Rozsival and have an eye towards the future.

The Olympic roster freeze begins Friday at 3pm. Ends on February 28. Trading deadline is 3 days later on March 3.
Patient and build is something I agree 110% on.

But build towards what? Are we going to gather a bunch of players who can't handle the puck again or what?

Torts just wasted a entire year of this so called rebuilding process by declaring that he can't work with talent and wanted straight forward players like Kotalik instead.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:11 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

The only issue I have with what Torts said is what we currently put on the ice. If we're looking to seriously establish a core to build around, why the hell aren't we seeing Heikkanen on the blue line to see if we have a legit two way defenseman in the system to step in for a Rosy move or as a precursor to swallowing Redden's contract.

Add to that Anisimov getting paired with players he's not likely to seriously center in the future. Either bump him to 12+ minutes on broadway, or allow him to play alongside Grachev on the Pack. Christensen in all likely-hood will not be a part of this team's future. Keeping him plugged in as the current top-line because of his current chemistry with Gabby and Prospal tells me Torts isn't in development mode, and instead is looking to win now. I'm not hating on him for that, because as a fan, I want to see a team that wins games, but in the modern NHL your team can't be everything. Either they're developing players, or they're making a playoff push. Very rarely is a team able to handle both.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:15 AM
bumrusherer

Easier said than done, my man.

Nothing I have seen from Torts would lead me to believe that he knows what patience actually means. Luckily for him, it doesnt matter as much that he doesnt know what it means because he doesnt make the player decisions in terms of trades/draft/free agents.

So preaching patience now is just a nice way of asking people to not berate him if the team really falls on its face down the stretch. Clever move, it probably will work.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this team will need to be patient alright in that until we rid ourselves of the 19 million dollar 3 headed monster, well be stuck. period.

i do not want to see ANY moves at all bringing in new plyers unless and until we determine that the players we already have cant do a better job. im sick of signing guys who suck while we have guys here already who at the very least could suck for less. .

all these names like boullion and seidenberg and vochenkov. no no and no.

play the guys we have already. beer comes to mind, play the guy. mike sauer, lets see what he can do for 5 games in a row. sangs. same. i want to see these guys play some friggin games.

bring up grachev. see what he can do. whats the harm ? byers, lets see him.

and i seriously never want to see voros or brashear dress for another game the rest of the season.

sit redden and rozy for a few games here and there if we cannot move them out. this whole showcase thing is a sham. they have more value the less they play.

lets avoid trying to sign another antropov and focus on what we have in our system first. we pretty much suck anyway, why not save some csh, sell what we can and regroup and retool over the summer.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
94now

Aren't we still in it? WTF, GM says one thing and coach gives up already. Do not step on logo, wuss! Safe is death! Patience is defeat!

Girl...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Seems like some fans can't get over the fact that this team, as currently constructed, is just not that good.
If by "some fans", you mean, the vast minority, I agree.

The problem is context. How can the Rangers be "good enough" when they're indexed against a borderline dynasty in Pittsburgh, which they cannot seem to defeat, or dynasties in the making like Chicago or Washington, again, the latter proving to be pretty much unbeatable for the blueshirts? They're never going to "home grow" a team with the potential to be that good under this management team. Never.

If Torts was the GM, I'd be more interested in this quote. For now, I'm only concerned with what he does with players he's got instead of players he wished he had. You're not getting rid of Redden, so, buck up, be a professional and get this guy engaged in the game to a serviceable degree instead of building a public PR campaign against him in what would appear to be an attempt to be left with no choice but to move him at all costs.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And we've gotta just hope they know that. At least it sounds like Torts does. You can't build in a few weeks. But 2012 is not that far away...and on a shorter time frame even 2011 is likely to be better.
Rangers WON'T win the cup in 2012....

The world is supposed to come to an end.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

how can anyone read this and think tortorella yes the lecavalier brad richards dan boyle khabibulan riding head coach won't be pushing HARD for one of the best players in the world come july 1st? you heard him. he's got the goalie he's got ONE star and he's got a good young nucleus. he's going to be adamant that we get kovalchuk. i'm not saying we get him but i will say that the rangers will not be outbid. scary as that may sound they will have the highest offer by at least a dollar if needed. then its up to ilya to decide. but rest assured the rangers will be in the bidding BIGTIME and redden,rosy, and jokinen will all be gone. take it to the bank

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote