HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Old
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

vCash: 500
The Exercise/Workout Thread

So, thanks in large part to this thread in The Lounge, I've decided to do P90x. I've been in pretty good shape most of my life, and played high school and college hockey, but now 4 years removed from that I'm a good bit out of the shape I'd like to be in. The past 4 years, other than going to the gym, I've pretty much just sat on my ass. And then about 5 months ago, I fell out of my habit of going to the gym daily. That happened due to a combination of laziness and not quite seeing the results I'd like to see.

Recently I decided I want to get my head back on straight when it comes to fitness, and that a regimented hardcore program would be a good way to get back to making exercise a priority in my life, and also thinking about my diet more. And another big reason I want to get into better shape is that I want to get back into playing hockey and maybe join a men's league or something.

Anyway, this thread can just be about exercise routines in general, and whatever motivates and works for you guys and girls. I encourage others to check out the P90x thread if they are looking for some motivation or a program like myself. It's funny...I had always seen that infomercial for it a billion times the past few years...and of course never took it seriously, because what infomercial have I ever taken seriously? But then I happened upon that thread in the Lounge. And then I went on Amazon and looked up P90x and was shocked to see it had hundreds of reviews and was sitting at about 4.5 stars. And then I just happened to find out that a friend of mine had done it and she thought it was great. Also, if you find yourself curious about it like I was and want even more info, you can go on beachbody's website and visit the discussion forum. There are also tons of Youtube videos of people's p90x transformations(some of them not worth your time, some are).

Lol, I'm starting to realize I might be sounding like a salesman here, but I certainly hope I don't(and I only touch on that because I'm an extremely skeptical person who immediately thinks about that kind of stuff when they read anyone on the internet touting anything). I'm definitely not, and haven't even started the program yet myself...plan to start next week. I'm kind of hoping some others on here might jump on the bandwagon, and we can help motivate each other with this thread. So, get off your lazy ***** and join me! I know that JLHockeyKnight is doing it as I read his recent comments about it in that Lounge thread...so he should hopefully be able to weigh in on his progress.

I'll also throw out the fact that P90x might just be available on the internet if you know your way around...and it might just cost you $139.99 less than what Amazon sells it for. That might be the case, can't say for sure. Also, if that were the case, and if I had found it, I wouldn't feel that terrible about it since I would be planning to spend some money on beachbody's other products if I were happy with P90x. This is all hypothetical of course.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I've heard good things about P90x.

I used to run a few miles 4-5 times a week, but my knees have started crapping out, so I mainly just do the bike now and eat less.

Thinking about doing yoga or pilates to help with flexibility if I get the time/motivation.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
P90x is pretty good from what I hear about it.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I'm big into fitness myself. I'm not jacked or huge or anything like that but I'm in very good shape. I run a lot, bike even more and of course skate a lot as well. I find the best thing to keep yourself motivated is to create realistic goals, sometimes even somewhat easy goals. When you achieve your goals you feel a sense of pride and if your goals arent realistic eventually you will get annoyed and gljust feel like it's not for you. It's def good that you are trying to do it to get in shape for some hockey too. What mens league are you thinking about getting into? What rink? As for p90x, I have heard nothing but amazing things about it if you follow it correctly. You need to really push yourself. The diet apparently is one of the most important parts of p90x so don't just think you will try to eat better and follow the fitness routine and you'll be jacked. The diet and the fitness routine go hand in hand in pushing through you plateues and giving you the best results. Do not quit! Even if you don't see results right away don't quit, it's working even if you can't see it. I would also say to put off p90x for a couple weeks until you put some time in the gym and a few miles a week of running under your belt. If you get a chance check out bodybuilding.com. They have an insane forum and tons of info about p90x and anything else you would want to know about fitness, it's a really good forum with some very smart people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
UseYourAllusion

I'm not in great shape, but I did loose like 45lbs this past spring/summer. Mostly diet and light exercise.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm looking to fixing my bike in the spring. I enjoy going to the gym but some days I can never make it.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I do P90X, So I can answer any and all questions pertaining to that. I bought it legit.... lots of $.

But its nice, because if your a lazy ******* (which most of us internet folk are), it gives you a day by day thing on what exactly the **** do. Basically, once you get it, you have no more excuses, and its your own fault for being a fat disgusting slob.

It works well, and for guys, quickly (unless your EJ sized, it'll take him like a month to see anything). But eating right is basically 75% of the program. The worksouts are nice, but its not like the 300 workouts or anything.

Eat right, It'll do exactly as advertised.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'm looking to fixing my bike in the spring. I enjoy going to the gym but some days I can never make it.
I love my bike. Literally bought it for $10 at a yard sale and stripped it clean to rebuild it. The frame, fork and handlebars are the only thing that are original. New wheels, breaks, gears and shifters, pedals, crank and a bunch of little things. I built it custom and put everything I wanted specifically for myself for half the price of buying a new bike. I love a nice long ride to clear my head and work up an insane sweat. I'm thinking about building a fixed gear bike for a more serious ride sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I do alot of 12 oz curls.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Yeah, see...the thing about the diet is...I haven't really decided exactly what I'm going to do yet. The P90x diet is this three phase thing that seems to be largely focused on shredding fat, and not as much on gains. I'm 6'0, about 175, about 22% body fat(at least according to the Wii Fit I am, hopefully that **** is accurate). And right now, I'm not as much concerned about getting perfectly shredded as I am about putting on some more size and muscle. Sure, I'm down with lowering my body fat, but I guess that's not my biggest concern. I'm sure the P90x diet could work pretty well, but I'm thinking I should alter it to put a heavier emphasis on a diet that will focus more on contributing to gains and building muscle, ya know? I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I should do with my daily intake of protein, carbs, fats, etc. It's hard though when you research this stuff on the net cuz you get such a wide variety of articles and opinions and it's hard to know what to believe. I was just mentioning this in that Lounge thread...I was reading an article of a guy saying to do 1.5g's of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Which would be around 265 g's of protein, which seemed awfully high to me. But then this guy responded to me with another article that sounded more reasonable, basically suggesting there's no need to be taking in more than 20-30 g's of protein in any one meal...and 150 g's for the day is a good amount.

But anyway, yeah, I'm still trying to get all that stuff figured out. And I've been doing a run-through of the videos(started a week ago, have another week still), and trying to do some of each one as a warm-up and to hopefully get a lot of muscle soreness out of the way before I actually start.

As for the hockey...I'm like 5 minutes from Ice Line in West Chester so I'll probably go there. I'm guessing that I'll be able to find some old hockey buddies that have a team going there, and if not I'll try to get one going, or maybe there'll be even be some people on here who'd be interested.
That seems high right? I'm 6'1, 200 and while I should probably drop 5-10 pounds, I'm in good shape.

Quote:
Really mods, we can't have a thread about Exercise?? It has to mix in with a ton of totally unrelated discussion? This is going to suck now.
Agree, the whole point of the Obsequious thread is that there's no topic to it.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:33 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That seems high right? I'm 6'1, 200 and while I should probably drop 5-10 pounds, I'm in good shape.
What seems high, the body fat? I dunno...the bar graphic thing they have shows 22% landing just about smack in the middle of what is "Normal."

Quote:
Agree, the whole point of the Obsequious thread is that there's no topic to it.
Yeah, and it's just that if it were it's own thread it's something that would likely be bumped occasionally with people updating their progress or whatever. Now the discussion is just going to get lost and fade out.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
What seems high, the body fat? I dunno...the bar graphic thing they have shows 22% landing just about smack in the middle of what is "Normal."
I thought the average for men was around 10-20 percent? Maybe I'm wrong. Also, 6'0 175 seems like you're already in pretty good shape.

Quote:
Yeah, and it's just that if it were it's own thread it's something that would likely be bumped occasionally with people updating their progress or whatever. Now the discussion is just going to get lost and fade out.
Yep, I think we had one a while back when someone dropped 150 pounds or something and posted about it, but that's probably buried by now, I think it was a couple years ago.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Yeah I highly doubt he's more than like 17%. At that height and weight he would have to be skinny as a rail with fat rolls all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hahaha, yeah I'm def not. I mean, I guess I might have a little touch of pudge on the belly, but I'm in pretty damn good shape. Put it this way, I'm guessing I'm in much better shape than most people. And hey, like I said, their bar graphic said I was normal. I'm normal, right?

Seriously though, maybe I should get one of those body fat caliper thingys.

edit: Yeah, I don't want to be a dick here, but do any mods have an opinion about this? Maybe I'm being a dick by asking this way rather than via PM? Only thing that sucks now though is that if it gets it's own thread again the stuff that was already in it can't go back to like it was. But I'm sure you'll all be glad to retype your posts word for word to make it nice and pretty again.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Yep, I think we had one a while back when someone dropped 150 pounds or something and posted about it, but that's probably buried by now, I think it was a couple years ago.
Yep - Kevin Dank is who posted it, I believe.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:47 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I dunno Claude... some of your photoshops required a bit of a twisted mind!

Seriously though - body mass index, weight, body fat percentage are all things that may help you track your progress, but how you feel is the biggest indicator. The rest is just numbers (spoken by a mom of a kid who had, and is still fighting, an eating disorder.)
Oh yeah, **** I think it's BMI that Wii Fit tells me is 22%. Is that different than body fat %? I'm way too much of a dumbass about this stuff...think I'll go do some research.

edit: Hahaha, I was just looking at a chart on body fat % and there is no way in hell I am 22%.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:50 PM
FlyHigh

Yeah, makes more sense that it would be BMI, 22% falls in the normal range.

My goal is 6'1, 190 which is on the high end of normal I think, but I've been playing hockey/soccer forever, so I have a lot of leg muscle.

Old
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Not to nit pick but bmi doesn't go by %, just the number. But yes for your size I would say between 22-24 bmi.

As for the thread. I just don't see why a thread about a winter storm, video games or music stays open but a fitness one can't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
JSTAFF

It depends what your looking to do, for p90x to be effective. If you want to get jacked, p90x WILL NOT do it. If you want to be able to be able to touch your toes, then your in. If your out of shape and cant do a pull up, i'd recommend p90x. If your embarrased to goto the gym, i'd do p90x.

If you want to be jacked, get a real workout routine.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
It depends what your looking to do, for p90x to be effective. If you want to get jacked, p90x WILL NOT do it. If you want to be able to be able to touch your toes, then your in. If your out of shape and cant do a pull up, i'd recommend p90x. If your embarrased to goto the gym, i'd do p90x.

You might not get body builder jacked but you can get cut/ripped if you already have some underlying muscle. It's also great to mix up your workout. Lifting heavy forever you will plateau. This is a good way to break through and work muscles you aren't used to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Not to nit pick but bmi doesn't go by %, just the number. But yes for your size I would say between 22-24 bmi.

As for the thread. I just don't see why a thread about a winter storm, video games or music stays open but a fitness one can't.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, yeah, you're right, thanks for pointing that out. I just doublechecked it and it is BMI and my number is 22.61, and there is no percentage of course.

Quote:

I think that's a little extreme. I'm far from being unable to do a pull-up or embarassed to go to the gym. However, I don't think I use my time at the gym effectively enough. In the end, my goal is to get back to a good routine at the gym...there's a program called "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe that focuses more on heavy lifting...it's discussed a bit in that Lounge thread. Something more along that line is what I'd like to emphasize more eventually. But for now, I just need some overall structure, and to whip my ass into great shape altogether. Plus, my gf wants to do it too, and we could both really use the motivation right now of pushing each other through the same program.

Also, the overall impression I get from P90x is definitely that it's more for people who are already in good shape, but want to get in great shape. Not to say, that somone more out of shape can't do it...that just doesn't seem to be as much of its focus.

Old
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
You might not get body builder jacked but you can get cut/ripped if you already have some underlying muscle. It's also great to mix up your workout. Lifting heavy forever you will plateau. This is a good way to break through and work muscles you aren't used to.
Posted via Mobile Device
At that price tag? ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I've never seen one person , or know one person, that has done p90x as a starting piece to look remotely good. They still look in horrible shape. You need to be on a STRICT diet if your relying on p90x as your main workout if you plan on seeing ANY results.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Yeah, makes more sense that it would be BMI, 22% falls in the normal range.

My goal is 6'1, 190 which is on the high end of normal I think, but I've been playing hockey/soccer forever, so I have a lot of leg muscle.
Same. I've started P90X to try and get back into shape (really intense, by the way). The chest/back killed me, but the plyometrics (jumping) barely did anything cause I've got good legs from hockey.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

That's why it's good for me, I'm not looking to build muscle (get jacked), I just want to get into good shape (get ripped).

Old
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Also, the overall impression I get from P90x is definitely that it's more for people who are already in good shape, but want to get in great shape. Not to say, that somone more out of shape can't do it...that just doesn't seem to be as much of its focus.
To me, its for non athletic people trying to get into shape.

It doesnt matter what shape your in when you start it. Do it, eat right, it works. The better shape your in, the faster/better results you'll get. If your a fat ****, its gonna take awhile.

If your just a skinny guy with nothing on you, it'll work great.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
To me, its for non athletic people trying to get into shape.

It doesnt matter what shape your in when you start it. Do it, eat right, it works. The better shape your in, the faster/better results you'll get. If your a fat ****, its gonna take awhile.

If your just a skinny guy with nothing on you, it'll work great.
Even for me, I just gained 20 lbs over the last 3 months and want to drop it and in the same time get into way better shape.

The workouts are really intense, but good. They said your body should stop hurting after 60 days, haha. Supposedly the recover drink helps, but is $43 for a 30 day supply. Apparently it's mostly whey protein.

Awesome avatar, BTW.