HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Muskegon to leave the IHL? (Mod: End of season; USHL team replacement)

Old
02-04-2010, 04:28 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Muskegon to leave the IHL? (Mod: End of season; USHL team replacement)

Owners confirm the rumors that they may be headed to the USHL.

http://www.mlive.com/lumberjacks/ind...wners_con.html

Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-09-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: merged threads
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
CrazyEddie20

The IHL just needs to go away, it's professional wrestling on ice. It's a total joke, and the sooner that Muskegon goes to the USHL, the sooner that the IHL is done promoting it's Class-A garbage goon hockey.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The IHL is such a joke... I know a few people who live in Port Huron who were shocked when I told them the Icehawks existed.

I'm happy to see the USHL adding a second Michigan based team, between the Whalers, Spirit and those crazy Yoopers who cheer for the Greyhounds... this has been OHL territory for a long time.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:15 PM
nosl

yooper?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Yooper?

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Yooper -> Uper -> UPer

UP = the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:10 AM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
The IHL just needs to go away, it's professional wrestling on ice. It's a total joke, and the sooner that Muskegon goes to the USHL, the sooner that the IHL is done promoting it's Class-A garbage goon hockey.
One of the few times I agree with Eddie, If Muskegon leaves the IHL this league is done. Fort Wayne would probably go to the ECHL, Dayton would probably be done with pro hockey til the rumor of building a suitable downtown facility is built.

The rest of the IHL markets would fit well with the USHL. Although I could see Port Huron maybe becoming an OHL market. Either way high level Jr hockey would be a better fit and probably more entertaining than the IHL.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
One of the few times I agree with Eddie, If Muskegon leaves the IHL this league is done. Fort Wayne would probably go to the ECHL, Dayton would probably be done with pro hockey til the rumor of building a suitable downtown facility is built.

The rest of the IHL markets would fit well with the USHL. Although I could see Port Huron maybe becoming an OHL market. Either way high level Jr hockey would be a better fit and probably more entertaining than the IHL.
Do you think that Fort Wayne might consider the USHL instead? From everything I've read aren't the Fort Wayne owners deadset against joining a PHPA league?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Do you think that Fort Wayne might consider the USHL instead? From everything I've read aren't the Fort Wayne owners deadset against joining a PHPA league?
Yeah, but junior level hockey has other restrictions they may have zero interest in dealing with either.

I'm a little put off at the IHL bashing. Okay, the name is stupid, but I like the idea of a modern day Federal League being out there. Don't like it, don't watch it, why dump on it?

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:36 AM
adsfan

Quote:
I have heard rumors that the IHL may shut down on intotheboards.net. What proposed downtown arena in Dayton? The proposed Austin Road arena is down by Centerville, 10 miles south of downtown. If and when it is built, it will kill any other proposed arenas. The overpriced Nutter Center is 10 miles east at WSU. Hara Arena, where the Gems are drawing 2300 in a 5600 seat arena on a good night, is northwest.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
The Goaltending Guru

Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
This is heartbreaking to me. I have always enjoyed watching the Muskegon Fury/Lumberjacks. But, I can't say I'll be too torn up about whatever ends up happening to the Lumberjacks, since I've got the top affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings literally 5 minutes away, and I don't think I have to worry about them EVER leaving. I keep having the same feeling that I seem to be having each and every season: that the IHL is "done for" any day now. I'm taking my wife to her very first Muskegon hockey game this weekend. It's just sad to think that it could be both the first and last time she gets to see "professional" hockey in Muskegon.

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:32 AM
The Goaltending Guru

Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
IHL Muskegon Lumberjacks to Fold (Mod: at end of season playoffs)

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i...cks_hocke.html

Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-09-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: expand title with league and timing of action
The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb...S/2090317/1002

More troubling news

Quote:
Reached at the [IHL BOG Winter] meetings, [IHL Fort Wayne] Komets president Michael Franke said the loss of Muskegon continues a recent trend of minor league hockey losing traditional Midwest markets because of the poor economy. Franke pointed out that Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington, Ky., Youngstown, Ohio, and now Muskegon have all lost professional teams over the last six years, and there are rumors that Johnstown, Pa., and Wheeling, W.Va., may also fold from the ECHL after this season.

Silver lining?
Quote:
The IHL has seven teams. The Komets average 8,080 fans per game, Quad City 3,971 and Muskegon 2,835. Bloomington draws 2,529 fans per game, Flint 1,837, Port Huron 1,632 and Dayton 1,305. The dormant Chicago franchise is negotiating to return, and an expansion franchise in Evansville is also a possibility.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I have heard rumors that the IHL may shut down on intotheboards.net. What proposed downtown arena in Dayton? The proposed Austin Road arena is down by Centerville, 10 miles south of downtown. If and when it is built, it will kill any other proposed arenas. The overpriced Nutter Center is 10 miles east at WSU. Hara Arena, where the Gems are drawing 2300 in a 5600 seat arena on a good night, is northwest.
I havent followed the story lately but the last i remember wasnt it basically spit either there or in downtown Dayton.

Quote:
Franke pointed out that Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington, Ky., Youngstown, Ohio, and now Muskegon have all lost professional teams over the last six years, and there are rumors that Johnstown, Pa., and Wheeling, W.Va., may also fold from the ECHL after this season.
This quote is misleading, there was a lot more than just the economy to most of those cities. Indy's CHL team and then Youngstown was 1000s of miles from their closest CHL competition, Youngstown had bad management i believe too. Cincy Mighty Ducks were competing with the Cyclones in a city that's not really
a big hockey market, plus their arena wasn't in the best area of town compared to the Cyclones downtown along the river next to Great American Ballpark. Louisville and Lexington weren't marketed or run well to non-taditional hockey markets. I've heard rumors of Johnstown and Wheeling folding for seasons now and they're still around, but despite being two pretty good teams, those small market Appalachian cities' economies have struggled.

Last edited by sbkbghockey: 02-09-2010 at 03:05 PM.
sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:18 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I havent followed the story lately but the last i remember wasnt it basically spit either there or in downtown Dayton.

This quote is misleading, there was a lot more than just the economy to most of those cities. Indy's CHL team and then Youngstown was 1000s of miles from their closest CHL competition, Youngstown had bad management i believe too. Cincy Mighty Ducks were competing with the Cyclones in a city that's not really
a big hockey market, plus their arena wasn't in the best area of town compared to the Cyclones downtown along the river next to Great American Ballpark. Louisville and Lexington weren't marketed or run well to non-taditional hockey markets. I've heard rumors of Johnstown and Wheeling folding for seasons now and they're still around, but despite being two pretty good teams, those small market Appalachian cities' economies have struggled.
I was in Cincinnati 4 years ago. The downtown area had fallen apart. The nice area was only one half the size that it was 20 years ago. I was really shocked. I used to spent some time down there 30 years ago when it was nice all the way to the base of the Clifton hill by Music Hall, i.e. three times farther then 4 years ago. I didn't go by the Gardens (Ducks arena) then, but I stayed near there, it wasn't so bad compared to what is between those two arenas. It looks like Beirut or Detroit!

The City of Dayton has lost 100,000 out of 260,000 population in the last 10 years or so. It was a real GM town with Delco and Frigidaire etc... Like Cincinnati, only the economic strength of the suburbs is holding the city together. But Cincinnati gets visitors from Northern Kentucky who don't have to go through the decayed areas to get to the Reds/Bengals/Cyclones games.

Old
02-13-2010, 05:22 PM
adsfan

I forgot to post that I don't see the IHL lasting beyond two more seasons unless the economy picks up significantly.