HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

New year's exercise routines (P90X Discussion)

Old
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
But working out 2 hours a week can give you equivalent results? What kind of miracle gym do you go to?
I don't doubt this, but you've gotta have a pretty solid program in place.

3x a week, about 45 minutes of progressive, heavy free weight compound exercises, and end with a finisher like sprints or tabata intervals--yeah, I'd put my money on that person getting in better shape than most on p90x.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Finished day one.

Wow this is rough.

I'm barely overweight, but haven't let myself go to be in "bad shape." But I did the Chest/Back and Ab Ripper and I feel like I want to die. Plyometrics is tomorrow.
if you thought that was hard plyometrics is going to destroy you, ****'s hard

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:26 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
if you thought that was hard plyometrics is going to destroy you, ****'s hard
Awesome. I'm leaving work now and doing that as soon as I get home. Haha, thanks for making me dread my ride home.

By the way, has anyone used the recovery supplement? Is it any good or worth it?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Hercules Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Awesome. I'm leaving work now and doing that as soon as I get home. Haha, thanks for making me dread my ride home.

By the way, has anyone used the recovery supplement? Is it any good or worth it?
Never tried it, but by just looking at the nutrition it seems that it's a tad overpriced as it's basically sugar with some vitamins and a bit of protein.

Eat an apple and drink a low fat chocolate milk after your workout. That's cheaper and healthier.

Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Hercules Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I don't doubt this, but you've gotta have a pretty solid program in place.

3x a week, about 45 minutes of progressive, heavy free weight compound exercises, and end with a finisher like sprints or tabata intervals--yeah, I'd put my money on that person getting in better shape than most on p90x.
Tabata is awesome. But how many tabata protocols should one do during one session? I usually run for ten minutes, do one tabata, regroup myself for a couple of minutes, do a second one and finish with another ten minutes of easy running. Should I chuck in another one or two tabatas?

Old
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Thats what I would like to know...
5x5 system (Mark Rippetoe/Madcow), 3 times a week

You kick your ass those 3 days a week, eat well the other 4, and you better believe you'll get results

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Tabata is awesome. But how many tabata protocols should one do during one session? I usually run for ten minutes, do one tabata, regroup myself for a couple of minutes, do a second one and finish with another ten minutes of easy running. Should I chuck in another one or two tabatas?
What's your understanding of a Tabata workout?

It's supposed to be 8 intervals over 4 minutes--20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Basically any exercise of your choice. If you're in a big box gym, the eliptical is great for this since you can regulate how fast you can handle, otherwise, most full body exercises that you can do with dumbbells work great.

Old
02-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Hercules Rockefeller

Quote:
What's your understanding of a Tabata workout?

It's supposed to be 8 intervals over 4 minutes--20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Basically any exercise of your choice. If you're in a big box gym, the eliptical is great for this since you can regulate how fast you can handle, otherwise, most full body exercises that you can do with dumbbells work great.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I do those 4 minutes twice and my excercise of choice is sprints. So 20 seconds running as fast as possible, then 10 seconds walking etc.

So are 2 tabata rounds per cardio session (3 times a week) enough, or should I expand it to 3 or 4?

Old
02-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I do those 4 minutes twice and my excercise of choice is sprints. So 20 seconds running as fast as possible, then 10 seconds walking etc.

So are 2 tabata rounds per cardio session (3 times a week) enough, or should I expand it to 3 or 4?
Honestly, I only like tabata as finishers, since they're so short.

If it's on a cardio day when that's all you're doing, I'd extend it into a longer interval session. You can get really creative here.

My favorites: if the weather forces you in doors, I like on a treadmill something like 1 min on @ 10mph / 1 min off @ 5mph x 10. If you can go outdoors, find a hill and do hill sprints 1 sprint/2 min rest x 10. Like I said though, you're only limitted to your own creativity when it comes to intervals. Do what you like as long as it's keeping your heart rate in the target 90% range.

Old
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Never tried it, but by just looking at the nutrition it seems that it's a tad overpriced as it's basically sugar with some vitamins and a bit of protein.

Eat an apple and drink a low fat chocolate milk after your workout. That's cheaper and healthier.
Plyometrics wasn't that bad. I have lower body strength from playing hockey luckily. Upper body stuff will kill me though.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
RightKinger

I'm 5'11 145 and I've never worked out with weights in my life. I played basketball/tennis for three years so I'm pretty toned because of it but now I want to put on some muscle.

I haven't worked out at all in about 4 months. I'm the type of guy who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. My eating habits are pretty bad. I eat a lot of junk food and drink soda but surprisingly I'm still pretty toned.

I can barely do a pull-up...is this normal? I have pretty good lower body strength but my upper body sucks...I can barley bench anything..is this also normal based on what I've told you?

I just went out and bought some dumbbells and the Iron Gym. I'm interested in this P90X program but can't afford it so my question is can I get it from somewhere where I don't have to pay for it (interwebz preferably)...for those that now what I'm getting at can you PM me an answer please?

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
I'm 5'11 145 and I've never worked out with weights in my life. I played basketball/tennis for three years so I'm pretty toned because of it but now I want to put on some muscle.

I haven't worked out at all in about 4 months. I'm the type of guy who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. My eating habits are pretty bad. I eat a lot of junk food and drink soda but surprisingly I'm still pretty toned.

I can barely do a pull-up...is this normal? I have pretty good lower body strength but my upper body sucks...I can barley bench anything..is this also normal based on what I've told you?

I just went out and bought some dumbbells and the Iron Gym. I'm interested in this P90X program but can't afford it so my question is can I get it from somewhere where I don't have to pay for it (interwebz preferably)...for those that now what I'm getting at can you PM me an answer please?
My personal opinion would be to cut out the soda and junk food, even though you can eat whatever you want.. It seems like your still probably pretty young from your story..

I wouldn't go the p90x route.. I would take that money, join a gym, and try what I brought up a couple posts ago- (http://************************/showthread.php?t=712752) That pretty much outlines your workout routine. (ok I have no idea why they asterisk 'body building' in the link)

Eat as much as you can, but eat smart.. Quality proteins, complex carbs, fruits and veggies.. Look into a bulking programs on that site to put some mass on, and get a better idea on how to eat to grow

Old
02-08-2010, 12:15 AM
RightKinger

Ya I forgot to add that I'm 18. Thanks for the advice.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:18 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bicek View Post
5x5 system (Mark Rippetoe/Madcow), 3 times a week

You kick your ass those 3 days a week, eat well the other 4, and you better believe you'll get results
So this will help me bulk up? I can't find it on Youtube can you help me out with a link if this is what you're talking about. Thanks in advance.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Click on that link.. It will tell you the whole routine.. Where the ***'s are, replace it with bodybuilding

You have to eat, and eat right, to grow.. The gym prepares your body for growth, your diet makes it happen..

Read through that site.. It can be very informative

Old
02-08-2010, 01:34 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I pose this question for people who know more about exercise than me -- I'm 22 and in good shape, I play hockey 1-2 times a week for about 45 minutes to an hour. I just moved to a bigger city and have much, much more opportunities to play. A local rink offers drop-in hockey 2 hours a day every weekday. I'm a goalie so it's free, I have nothing else to do during that timespan, and I'd play hockey in the middle of the Sahara if I had to. So here's my question -- is there such thing as too much exercise, and does 10+ hours of hockey a week fall under that category?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:49 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
As long as you eat enough and let your body rest on the weekend, I wouldn't worry about it.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
As long as you eat enough and let your body rest on the weekend, I wouldn't worry about it.
Yep, and listen to your body. At 22, unless you're really out of shape, you should be fine.

NHL goaltenders put much more time on the ice. Sometimes their games amount to 10+ hours a week, then add in practices.

Old
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

About to start up P90x and was hoping for some advice from some in this thread. I'm 26 years old, 6'0", about 175 lbs, and about 22% body fat. I played high school and college hockey, but now 4 years removed from that I've fallen a good bit out of the shape I'd like to be in. I'm interested in bulking up, but I also need to just flat out get back into shape. I want to start playing hockey again and join a men's league, and I know I'm not in as good of shape as I'd like to be. So, while I'd eventually like to get back to my old routine of going to the gym almost every day, and maybe trying "Starting Strength" or some other programs in the vein of the Rippetoe stuff...for now what I'm really interested in is a regimented program that will kick my ass and get my frame of mind back into making exercise a priority in my life. I'm already set on doing P90x for the next 90 days for a variety of reasons...so I don't need advice about whether or not I should consider a different approach. I realize it's not magic, and that there are likely other programs that could work just as well or maybe even better...but I'm ready to go ahead and do this one.

What I want advice on is my diet. I want to do P90x, but am thinking I might as well go ahead and start focusing my diet more towards bulking up while I do it, rather than strictly follow the p90x diet. Right now, I'm less concerned about being perfectly shredded, and more about just putting on some size. I'll be taking Whey Protein and Creatine....I guess I'm just hoping for advice about stuff to eat. The thing is, once you start searching on the net, you get such a ridiculous variety of articles and opinions about this stuff. I've already gathered that some of the posters in this thread like Jiri, franchise, and some others should be able to offer some opinions I can put some stock in.

But yeah, more to the detail of things I want to know...protein, for instance...how much roughly per day? I was just reading an article where the guy was saying do 1.5g per pound of bodyweight per day. Which means I'd be looking at around 265g's of protein each day...does that sound good? He also said 2.5g of carbs per pound of bodyweight per day, and to not exceed 80g of fat per day. How do those numbers sound? If anyone could maybe outline a good daily meal plan or their opinion of what my intake of certain things should be...or just point me to some reliable links or sources, that'd be really great. Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

This is the material I was referencing above...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hard...-nutrition.htm

Last edited by claude boivin lives: 02-08-2010 at 04:17 PM.
claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I think 265 for someone of your size is a bit ridiculous. The article you cite is for hard gainers, who in general just need more calories from all sources--not just protein.

Here's a decent article on the 2-3x protein to bodyweight mantra.

I'm in the 150-200g/day (5'11 185lbs) range not counting PWO shake, and I've found I can still put on solid weight.

Old
02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
I think 265 for someone of your size is a bit ridiculous. The article you cite is for hard gainers, who in general just need more calories from all sources--not just protein.

Here's a decent article on the 2-3x protein to bodyweight mantra.

I'm in the 150-200g/day (5'11 185lbs) range not counting PWO shake, and I've found I can still put on solid weight.
Thanks a lot for the link and info. I appreciate it. I thought that 265 number seemed awfully high.

edit: So I've become aware that 22% body fat seems exceedingly high for me. I'm in pretty good shape, so 22% doesn't seem right. I'm going by what the Wii Fit tells me(but can I trust that?), which I've realized is BMI, not body fat%...is there a difference? If there's not, I guess I better get one of those body fat caliper thingys to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by claude boivin lives: 02-09-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old
02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Since this seems to be the fitness thread I am looking to put some lean mass on. I am 6`1 175 but not cut and not overly big in the upperbody. Should I be gunning for 200 grams of protein along with a high rep workout? My goal is for 10 pounds over 3 months.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Thanks a lot for the link and info. I appreciate it. I thought that 265 number seemed awfully high.

edit: So I've become aware that 22% body fat seems exceedingly high for me. I'm in pretty good shape, so 22% doesn't seem right. I'm going by what the Wii Fit tells me(but can I trust that?), which I've realized is BMI, not body fat%...is there a difference? If there's not, I guess I better get one of those body fat caliper thingys to get to the bottom of this.
BMI is a number, not a percentage. I'm not sure what the wii fit gives you, but it's not something I'd take as the gospel. A caliper reading will definitely be better than what a video game tells you. If you really want to get a good reading, contact your doctor's office and/or gyms in the area and see what body fat tests are available. It may cost a bit of money either way, but it's a great baseline indicator to track for actual progress.

Here's another good article on protein, though it's a lot longer and more saturated with science. The two articles may seem to argue for opposite conclusions, but they are examining things in different contexts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Since this seems to be the fitness thread I am looking to put some lean mass on. I am 6`1 175 but not cut and not overly big in the upperbody. Should I be gunning for 200 grams of protein along with a high rep workout? My goal is for 10 pounds over 3 months.
Hi-rep for toning is basically an industry myth. If you want to put on lean mass, lift heavy and your diet will be more important than your rep schedule. Muscles don't get bigger because you lift heavy, they get bigger because you feed them accordingly after lifting heavy. Also, unless you're really powering down the chow and/or hitting roids, in 3 months you won't somehow develop a overly big upper body. Though, for long term, keep your routines balanced (each upper body day offset by a lower body day; fullbody etc.) and getting too "top heavy" will never be an issue.

10lbs in 3 months for someone of your build is a piece of cake with the right dietary discipline and regimented drive in the gym.

Old
02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

So, I've gotten going on P90x...through the 3rd day now. It's a really good thing for me that I took a couple weeks(before actually getting started) to do some of the workouts and work through some muscle soreness. I've still been a little sore after each of these few days so far, but not to the point where I can't workout each day...as was the case in that first couple weeks. I originally needed about a 6-day break between Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms, haha.

But anyway, I'm also personally starting to try and think much more about what I eat. Short summary of my deal with food is....I was always really skinny growing up, pretty much all through high school. I always ate whatever the hell I wanted whenever the hell I wanted and never gained any weight. Got to college, and finally started to actually put on weight from all the terrible **** I had a tendency to eat. So I started actually paying some attention to calories and fat grams on labels, and tried to make somewhat healthier choices.

However, I never paid any attention whatsoever to my intake of carbs or proteins or anything, up until a week or two ago. Done a good amount of research since then though, and have gotten started on a diet focused more on building muscle. I'm 26 years old, 6'1", tend to fluctuate between 170-175lbs. I'm going to shoot for about 3200 calories per day(in 5-7 meals)....55% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fats. So that's roughly 440 g's of carbs, 200 g's of protein, and 70 g's of fat.

If anyone has any input, or advice, or wants advice(I've been reading a ton and think I could actually be pretty helpful to some beginners, haha), feel free.

Also, I'd definitely be down to hear about some stuff that people eat that is both really healthy and tasty and a good source of protein and/or carbs. I guess I mean more of specific items/brands or odd/unusual food or food combos as I'm familiar with most of the more typical ideas out there. For instance, I just started using this dijonnaise stuff on sandwiches...brand is Maille, got it at Fresh Market. Stuff is really good and only 20 calories and 2 g's of fat. I found this awesome prepackaged turkey at Trader Joe's, made by Applegate Farms. Not sure there's anything particularly special about that nutrition wise, but it's way more delicious than any turkey I've ever bought at Giant, prepackaged or at the deli counter. Trader Joe's also has awesome baguettes that are made with wheat flour...$1.99, and some of them are bigger or wider than others and really work well for sandwiches. Alright, that's all for now. Oh yeah, I also am kind of just discovering how delicious jerky can be. I LOVE the Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's, but damn is that **** expensive! 5 bucks for 4 oz...that's twenty bucks a pound! And that actually seems to be about as cheap as it gets, I've only seen jerky priced similarly or higher elsewhere. I'm thinking about taking at shot at making it at home. Ok, I'll stop now.

Oh yeah, btw, Tony Horton at times reminds me of Shooter McGavin, both with looks and occasional mannerisms.

Quote:
BMI is a number, not a percentage. I'm not sure what the wii fit gives you, but it's not something I'd take as the gospel. A caliper reading will definitely be better than what a video game tells you. If you really want to get a good reading, contact your doctor's office and/or gyms in the area and see what body fat tests are available. It may cost a bit of money either way, but it's a great baseline indicator to track for actual progress.

Here's another good article on protein, though it's a lot longer and more saturated with science. The two articles may seem to argue for opposite conclusions, but they are examining things in different contexts.
Yeah, I was way off the mark on the body fat/BMI thing. The Wii Fit was giving me my BMI, there was no percentage...I just had the whole thing all mixed up. I'd still really like to know my body fat percentage though, so I'm looking into buying a caliper. Thanks for your input.

Old
02-19-2010, 05:51 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Okay looking for some advice, I am fit and generally in shape, but I want to drop about 6kg just to define everything a bit more. I have problems doing this so need tips, seem to have plateaued (sp?) in my exercise regime.

I dont know what kind of information you need to give me some advice so here you go all you could possibly need to know, 19 male, 6"2, 87kg, I am pretty well built and play a variety of sports, hockey (field), tennis and I skate. I run regularly (5 times a week min, I run generally short distances as in 2-3 miles and can run a 5 minute mile so fitness isnt an issue in terms of setting me exercises), I have recently bought some free weights and need to make more use of these. My diet is probably what lets me down I do eat regular meals, but 1 of them will be **** for me like instant noodles or something and it also doesnt help I drink milk like it is going out of style as in up to a couple of litres a day which I am guessing has a ******** of calories in, I am a student so I also drink a lot, but I wont cut out the drink, so any solutions can you bear that in mind?

Yeah tips, ideas?
Ok so pretty much 2 weeks later, I have eaten healthier, stuck rigidly to my running 5-6 times a week but still have yet to make enough use of my weights as in 1 times a week tops, which I need to improve. Down to 84kg, so it is working.

Feeling better looking thinner, just need to keep it up, thanks to all advice given to me in this thread, any further pointers would be good.

Also I realise that to lose weight you need to take in less calories than you consume, but surely your metabolism adjusts after a while, so does the occasional day when you eat more help....yes thats right asking to see if breaking the diet could help

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote