HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers seeking defenseman

Old
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Chariot...

I've always said that once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen when you have a goaltender like Lundqvist. Heck, although they lost in the first round last season they played a pretty darn good Washington team to 7 games (losing three straight!). That's better than most thought the Rangers would do. But, this season's different.

Torts has not had a handle of this team since day 1. This team cannot find consistent scoring outside Gaborik, and when he's not scoring, this team loses. Lundqvist has been up and down, but that's normal, he's been there more than this team's record would suggest. The defense is not all together. Players have gotten older and less effective (Drury, albeit I don't agree with how he was used (or not used) to start the season). This team would probably be best-served not making the playoffs unless Sather pulls off some impossible moves. There has been no recent evidence that this team can pull it together for a best of 7 series. The unfortunate thing is that some mediocre team, or teams, will make the playoffs and it can be this rendition of the Rangers.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
ibleedblueblood89

espn's rumor central says that scott neidermayer has a chance of being traded... how realistic do you think it is for the Rangers to obtain him by the trade deadline? (if that rumor is true)

ibleedblueblood89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblueblood89 View Post
espn's rumor central says that scott neidermayer has a chance of being traded... how realistic do you think it is for the Rangers to obtain him by the trade deadline? (if that rumor is true)
not realistic at all.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
Jan Hejda anyone?
I'd second that one....if Only Columbus was still interested in Redden....darn!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:26 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Sather having the Rangers hamstrung is how I see it. That's why I feel that for this deadline, the smaller the deal the better. The Jokinen trade might end up being this team's biggest deal this season. You need good organizational depth to be able to pull of these trades without hurting your team. The problem is, the Rangers don't even have NHL roster depth let alone enough depth throughout their entire organization to go trading players for rentals. And then you add to that problem the fact that the Rangers would benefit from dumping a huge contract or two as well. The team is clearly a ways away from winning. There is no miracle move that would be worth giving up numerous pieces for that would thrust the Rangers into Cup contention.

Anyway, like Fletch noted--the team is seeking a defenseman while they've struggled to score goals all season? If I were Sather I'd bet on the tighter checking, low-scoring games you see at the end of the regular season in March and April in combination with a sharp Lundqvist (hopefully) doing enough defensively, and instead try to acquire a forward with some scoring punch. If that forward is Jokinen and there's nothing that makes sense out there, then I'd stand pat. I just feel that other teams can afford to pay more for forwards like Ponikarovsky and Whitney.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

There is no way Nashville is taking Rozsival unless we take some dead salary weight back from them. I haven't checked their roster yet to see what they might want to move but if they want to spend more money on a defenseman it will be their own player (Hamhuis) not our guy. Teams at or near the cap floor are the worst possible destinations for our underachievers. They are where they are salary wise for a reason and invest in a few star players (that eliminates the Reddens and Rozsivals of the world) and fill around them with entry level contracts, UFAs on short term contracts and economical veteran players. They cannot afford baggage. With the cap probably headed down $1-2MM and a glut of veterans on the market, there's no need to tie up big money up in a Rozsival. If and when he is moved (and I do believe he has value) it will be to a team that spends at least $50MM on player salaries.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
There is no way Nashville is taking Rozsival unless we take some dead salary weight back from them. I haven't checked their roster yet to see what they might want to move but if they want to spend more money on a defenseman it will be their own player (Hamhuis) not our guy. Teams at or near the cap floor are the worst possible destinations for our underachievers. They are where they are salary wise for a reason and invest in a few star players (that eliminates the Reddens and Rozsivals of the world) and fill around them with entry level contracts, UFAs on short term contracts and economical veteran players. They cannot afford baggage. With the cap probably headed down $1-2MM and a glut of veterans on the market, there's no need to tie up big money up in a Rozsival. If and when he is moved (and I do believe he has value) it will be to a team that spends at least $50MM on player salaries.

Wasen't JP Dumont's name recently thrown around?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Wasen't JP Dumont's name recently thrown around?
I hadn't heard that but on the surface it could make some sense. That's exactly the kind of contract I am referring to. Got to think about the talent equation.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I hadn't heard that but on the surface it could make some sense. That's exactly the kind of contract I am referring to. Got to think about the talent equation.
Rozsival/Lisin for Dumont/Hamhuis?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Crazyhorse30

I'd take Boynton or Tollefson, both of whom cleared waivers.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote