HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
  #26
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Even for me, I just gained 20 lbs over the last 3 months and want to drop it and in the same time get into way better shape.

The workouts are really intense, but good. They said your body should stop hurting after 60 days, haha. Supposedly the recover drink helps, but is $43 for a 30 day supply. Apparently it's mostly whey protein.

Awesome avatar, BTW
.

Like it? Jules did it for me. Took her a few hours apparently.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
  #27
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
P90x is like CrossFit Lite. It will definitely help if you are already in reasonable shape but it isn't like CrossFit where you really need to be in pretty decent shape to complete even the moderate exercises. The P90x abs workout is pretty awesome and it will give you a very solid total body workout. But, like people said, if you want to get jacked you'll need to go to the gym, take protein/supplements, and really change your lifestyle. But P90x will shed the pounds, certainly.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
  #28
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I would do certain pertains of the p90x in addition to the workout I already do. Since i'm already jacked like Wolfy, doing the yoga and the other thing would be fun for after gym. So if anyone wants to burn me them CDs, im down

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
  #29
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
P90x is like CrossFit Lite. It will definitely help if you are already in reasonable shape but it isn't like CrossFit where you really need to be in pretty decent shape to complete even the moderate exercises. The P90x abs workout is pretty awesome and it will give you a very solid total body workout. But, like people said, if you want to get jacked you'll need to go to the gym, take protein/supplements, and really change your lifestyle. But P90x will shed the pounds, certainly.
My work's gym offers us CrossFit for free, if I get into good shape with P90X I hope to graduate to it. Like you said, it's supposed to put P90X to shame, but for what it's worth, even though there are supposed to be better workouts than P90X, P90X in itself is supposed to be really decent and does get results.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
  #30
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Hey JL, whatever you just PMed me, I cant read since my box is full and Im not deleting all my old messages.

So whatever it is, just bring it to the open air. We're all friends

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
  #31
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
At that price tag? ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I've never seen one person , or know one person, that has done p90x as a starting piece to look remotely good. They still look in horrible shape. You need to be on a STRICT diet if your relying on p90x as your main workout if you plan on seeing ANY results.
I did t say anything about using it as a starting piece. I actually said the opposite. It's great if you just bilked up and put on mass which usually means not only muscle but sone fat. It's a good way to cut the fat off and expose the muscle underneath. As fo lr the diet, I already stressed the diet to him. The diet is the most important part for sure, you can toy with it to increase protein if you want tonput on a little more size but for the most part if you don't follow the diet you won't see half the results you expect.

Can we have our own thread now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
  #32
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
My work's gym offers us CrossFit for free, if I get into good shape with P90X I hope to graduate to it. Like you said, it's supposed to put P90X to shame, but for what it's worth, even though there are supposed to be better workouts than P90X, P90X in itself is supposed to be really decent and does get results.
Sure, it's entirely legit. I mean, anything that gets someone active everyday is going to work. But CrossFit requires a lot of upper-body strength to get the most out of it. You really need to be able to do 10-15 pull-ups and bench close to your body weight to really start taking full advantage.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
  #33
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Rejoice one and all, for the exercise thread is back open for business. Ronnie Coleman approves...


claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
  #34
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Heres JStaff 30 years from now


ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
  #35
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Good one harv.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
  #36
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Supposedly the recover drink helps, but is $43 for a 30 day supply. Apparently it's mostly whey protein.
I'm a relatively small dude...maybe (probably) you'll all say smaller than that. I'm 5'10ish, 140. I started going to the gym this summer. I've found it absolutely critical to take some sort of protein after I'm done.

I've always been curious...is it just my body type or is that how it tends to work for everyone? And...what are acceptable and unnecessary amounts of protein after?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
  #37
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Ive always heard one gram of protein per body weight.

Honestly, unless your chugging like 5 protein shakes and like 500 grams a day or something crazy, there really isnt "too much" you can get.

Unless I am wrong, and there is.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
  #38
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I'm a relatively small dude...maybe (probably) you'll all say smaller than that. I'm 5'10ish, 140. I started going to the gym this summer. I've found it absolutely critical to take some sort of protein after I'm done.

I've always been curious...is it just my body type or is that how it tends to work for everyone? And...what are acceptable and unnecessary amounts of protein after?
For such a light weight guy like yourself, its absolutely critical to take protein after a hard workout. If not your muscle fibers will take longer to heal. i.e. - not be fully ready for your next workout. protein helps the muscle fibers grow back quicker and stronger.

1 grams per pound of body weight per day is a good measure if your looking to get bigger.

140 grams of protein, easily attainable with 2 shakes a day, +chicken/fish meals.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
  #39
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Ive always heard one gram of protein per body weight.

Honestly, unless your chugging like 5 protein shakes and like 500 grams a day or something crazy, there really isnt "too much" you can get.

Unless I am wrong, and there is.
For only weighing 140 pounds, your body cant process much more than 25g of protein at one time.

edit: that is assuming its whey protein. chicken etc is different.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
  #40
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
For such a light weight guy like yourself, its absolutely critical to take protein after a hard workout. If not your muscle fibers will take longer to heal. i.e. - not be fully ready for your next workout. protein helps the muscle fibers grow back quicker and stronger.

1 grams per pound of body weight per day is a good measure if your looking to get bigger.

140 grams of protein, easily attainable with 2 shakes a day, +chicken/fish meals.
Ok...and while I'm thinking about it...I know about chicken and fish, but what about turkey? And as far as intake, should it be more concentrated after a workout or just spaced throughout the day, or somewhere in between?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
  #41
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
You want to take I. Protein throughout the day. Your body is always heeling and building after a workout. You want to get your shake in post workout with 25-20 grams of protein. Any more is a waste IMO. It's important to get that protein in as quick as possible after the workout because your body is recovering.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
  #42
IAN aka RYAN
Registered User
 
IAN aka RYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Del.Co. PA
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Eat healthy, run, lift, sleep. Repeat. Works all the time, every time. Sleep is key for building muscle.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
  #43
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Ok...and while I'm thinking about it...I know about chicken and fish, but what about turkey? And as far as intake, should it be more concentrated after a workout or just spaced throughout the day, or somewhere in between?
Back whe nI wanted to get to where I am now....

I did one in the morning iwth a scoop of PB, one after workout with 2 scoops of PB and a 1/2 a bananna.

Other protein just eat meals as regular. (almonds are a great snack)


leaving work good luck xoxoxoxoxoxo

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
  #44
IAN aka RYAN
Registered User
 
IAN aka RYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Del.Co. PA
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Back whe nI wanted to get to where I am now....

I did one in the morning iwth a scoop of PB, one after workout with 2 scoops of PB and a 1/2 a bananna.

Other protein just eat meals as regular. (almonds are a great snack)


leaving work good luck xoxoxoxoxoxo
Ghey. or Whey.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
  #45
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
You want to take I. Protein throughout the day. Your body is always heeling and building after a workout. You want to get your shake in post workout with 25-20 grams of protein. Any more is a waste IMO. It's important to get that protein in as quick as possible after the workout because your body is recovering.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's essentially what you want it for, to help your body heal post-workout. Of course you can always get it from meat and such, but a good shake right after is a good assurance you'll get that.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
  #46
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That's essentially what you want it for, to help your body heal post-workout. Of course you can always get it from meat and such, but a good shake right after is a good assurance you'll get that.
I would suggest a shake only becayse your body will digest Whey much quicker than meat.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:49 PM
  #47
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I would suggest a shake only becayse your body will digest Whey much quicker than meat.
And to add to this, if you ever see Casein Protein make sure you read into it because it is a much slower digesting protein usually taken before bed. I don't know a lot about it, but if you are looking into proteins, read into it but Whey is always the best way to go.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
  #48
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
To add a bit of hockey chatter, during one of those player profile things they play during intermission, where they had Scott Hartnell making a grilled chicken salad for him and Lupul, they stated that they were the two highest Body Fat %'s on the team. Hartnell I suspected, Lupul I did not...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
  #49
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Like it? Jules did it for me. Took her a few hours apparently.
Hahaha.... I'd love to know what the hell you did.


I'm glad you guys got your own thread for this. Although the lifting/protein thing isn't my gig...if you guys are trying to motivate each other or whatever, it'll be nice to pop in here and there...

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
  #50
TheSkatingDutchman
Registered User
 
TheSkatingDutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Maybe somebody can help me. I'm starting to get more and more into boxing and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for the muscles over my ribs. I do a lot of ab stuff which covers some of the body shots I take but I can't quite get the ribs.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.