HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer league mistakes and tips

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Play Senior A
Not an option anymore because I was in a serious car accident that left me with serious leg and foot injuries. Had to hang up my old Super Tacks. The fact that I'm now over 40 doesn't help much either.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Not an option anymore because I was in a serious car accident that left me with serious leg and foot injuries. Had to hang up my old Super Tacks. The fact that I'm now over 40 doesn't help much either.
Are you talking like 20 years ago you got booted?

Old
02-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
I wasn't able to play beer-league for long because after awhile I was told to hit the road. I couldn't turn off the competitive instinct. I had to hit people.
I had the same experience playing in an advanced adult league in CA. I'd played contact for 25 years and I couldn't turn off the habits. The league I was in we got fined $50 and suspended 1 game after 40 pims and then every 20 pims after that. Got 24 pims the first game all on plays that would have been legal hits in a checking league. Paid more in fines than I did in season dues. Played some college club hockey after that because it was full contact but no more adult leagues. I can play no contact hockey now playing pick up but I don't know if I want to try a league again.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I had the same experience playing in an advanced adult league in CA. I'd played contact for 25 years and I couldn't turn off the habits. The league I was in we got fined $50 and suspended 1 game after 40 pims and then every 20 pims after that. Got 24 pims the first game all on plays that would have been legal hits in a checking league. Paid more in fines than I did in season dues. Played some college club hockey after that because it was full contact but no more adult leagues. I can play no contact hockey now playing pick up but I don't know if I want to try a league again.
Do you not have senior A league near you? *anything besides ASHL*

Old
02-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you talking like 20 years ago you got booted?
Yes, even a little longer ago than that.

And I hear ya Steelhead. As I said, I enjoyed hitting more than any other part of the game. Take that away and the fun is gone.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Yes, even a little longer ago than that.

And I hear ya Steelhead. As I said, I enjoyed hitting more than any other part of the game. Take that away and the fun is gone.
wow....i remember going to my dads beer league games a kid and they were pretty rough.

There are full contact leagues out there (obviously not for you, just saying that in general)

Old
02-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
wow....i remember going to my dads beer league games a kid and they were pretty rough.

There are full contact leagues out there (obviously not for you, just saying that in general)
Okay I'll fill you in on a little of my background...

I come from a hockey family. Although my dad chose education over hockey, two of my uncles played pro. One had stints with the Hawks and Blues, the other was a career minor-leaguer who went on to become coach of the year in the old expansion WHA. He also played a lot agaist Don Cherry and is mentioned in his recent book.

Although my dad was the oldest of all the brothers, I was the youngest boy born to any of them. My parents had me at a late age. All my cousins (I have no brothers) failed to get past junior and the last hopes of my extended family to have one of the kids make pro were riding on me. To attempt to make a long story short, the pressure got to me. When I also failed to go pro I was devestated and felt like I let the entire family down. I had little parental guidance when I was a kid and I fell into some drug and alcohol abuse. I tried playing beer-league, but as I already stated, it just wasn't for me and I gave up hockey altogether. I stopped even watching it on TV for many years. It was that hard for me to face that I never made pro. From the time I was born I was groomed to be a pro hockey player and when it didn't materialize I kind of got lost. I drank, did drugs, and knocked around menial jobs for a long time until I found commercial diving.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 02-06-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old
02-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Do you not have senior A league near you? *anything besides ASHL*
Only full contact is Boise State club hockey. (No we don't have blue ice) I almost just took one class so I could play. Back in CA. Pac 10 teams could have 3 non students so I did that for a couple years.

Quote:
Okay I'll fill you in on a little of my background...

I come from a hockey family. Although my dad chose education over hockey, two of my uncles played pro. One had stints with the Hawks and Blues, the other was a career minor-leaguer who went on to become coach of the year in the old expansion WHA. He also played a lot agaist Don Cherry and is mentioned in his recent book.

Although my dad was the oldest of all the brothers, I was the youngest boy born to any of them. My parents had me at a late age. All my cousins (I have no brothers) failed to get past junior and the last hopes of my extended family to have one of the kids make pro were riding on me. To attempt to make a long story short, the pressure got to me. When I also failed to go pro I was devestated and felt like I let the entire family down. I had little parental guidance when I was a kid and I fell into some drug and alcohol abuse. I tried playing beer-league, but as I already stated, it just wasn't for me and I gave up hockey altogether. I stopped even watching it on TV for many years. It was that hard for me to face that I never made pro. From the time I was born I was groomed to be a pro hockey player and when it didn't materialize I kind of got lost. I drank, did drugs, and knocked around menial jobs for a long time until I found commercial diving.
Glad you found something that makes you happy.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
All I can comment on is what I feel and like yourself I've used woodies for 35 years. I did not notice a difference in feel when I switched.

I use Harrow composite 2 pieces if that helps any. I do know they designed them for feel and not to be the lightest stick on the market. The shafts have vibration absorbing things inserted every few inches.

Whatever ... I am not lying about it. I don't think you have to be a pro to tell the difference between feels. I used wood for many years .... you would think I would have noticed a huge change.

The composites today are better than when Super Mario played by the way. That was what .... 2005 when he called it a career? 5 years ago .... lots of things have changed with compos between now and then.

Hey I'm just sayin'. I personally did not notice anything to get upset about and have had NO issues whatsoever.
I never said you were lying, but you were trying to equate people having problems with composite sticks, to them not having soft hands, which is wrong.

The technology of composites sticks is roughly the same as when Lemieux retired. Also to show how much of a difference there is with a composite, Lemieux was so talented that he never doctored up his sticks. He would take his wood sticks right off the rack and use them straight.

So if someone that talented said there is a difference between wood and composite, and dozens upon dozens of people I know have said it, plus the fact that I know it personally.... then I'm gonna go ahead and say there is a difference.

Old
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

My advice is more mental than the actual gameplay part, but it doesn't matter if this is the highest level of hockey you've ever played - it does not do anyone any good for you to take it too seriously. By that I mean if your team is losing, don't go taking a dump on your teammates or goaltender because of it. They're out there to have fun and exercise for the most part and don't need to hear adolescent whining about how they've cost the team the game. Chances are, if they're losing, they feel bad enough anyway. This goes for the locker room too.

Establish a good relationship with the refs. These are guys that are paid peanuts to come out and police a bunch of grown adults. Sometimes it can get out of hand, and more often than not they take a goodly share of verbal abuse. Having a good relationship with them--especially if they consistently ref your games--ensures that if a game is getting out of hand, they will watch out for you. That guy who takes a gloved punch at your face for no real reason might be sent packing. Believe me, the refs appreciate the guys in these leagues who are nice, approachable and easy to talk to about why certain calls were made.

If there's a guy on the team doing something to piss you and your teammates off, don't do either the sit in silence routine or the nominate a spokesman routine. Have a team discussion about it, because that's what you guys are. The person in question might not even realize they've done wrong unless they're approached. Sure, it could still blow up anyway - but at least everyone knows where everybody else stands as opposed to guessing at who may or may not be on what side of the fence.

As far as on the ice goes, protect yourself. Your face, your teeth, your neck--be it a half shield plus a mouthguard or a full cage. Guys in beer leagues, especially newer guys, have a tendency to carry their stick at head height while skating. I played with a first year player last year and got high sticked 3 times. A beer league is certainly not a place you want to lose teeth or worse.

Other than that, have fun and play some hockey.

Old
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I never said you were lying, but you were trying to equate people having problems with composite sticks, to them not having soft hands, which is wrong.

The technology of composites sticks is roughly the same as when Lemieux retired. Also to show how much of a difference there is with a composite, Lemieux was so talented that he never doctored up his sticks. He would take his wood sticks right off the rack and use them straight.

So if someone that talented said there is a difference between wood and composite, and dozens upon dozens of people I know have said it, plus the fact that I know it personally.... then I'm gonna go ahead and say there is a difference.
Wrong.
They've made a lot of advances in blades since then, in ways that really help a lot with feel, and in the methods of joining the shaft and the blade, which can have an effect on it.

There are a lot of guys who swear that the One95 has better feel then wood sticks. Others love the feel of Easton's blades (which are great- if only they didn't break so quickly... and before you leap on that, they still last longer then a woodie).

It's not just "wood" and "composite", as the huge advantage of composites is that the specs, including the feel, can be tailored to specific needs. It's "wood" and assortment of crappy low end composites, mid range stuff, or the high variation among top end sticks. Off the top of my head, I can think of 9 top end composite sticks in current production- 1 for CCM, 2 for RBK, 2 for Bauer, 2 for Easton, 2 for Warrior. And I suppose you could throw in Easton's ST to make 10. All of which have different blade designs and resultantly, different feel.

I'm going to guess you tried a cheap composite, or one not known for puck feel.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
These are guys that are paid peanuts to come out and police a bunch of grown adults.
Actually as far as I know, Refs get about $45 or $50 to ref a men's league game. That's $45 for an hour of work. That's not bad at all. If that was a full-time job, they'd be getting close to 100K per year reffing.

I hear they get paid about $75 per high school game. Then even more if they have to zamboni the ice between periods and if it goes to OT in playoffs or whatever. So, no the refs don't get paid all that bad.

Where I play the refs are just brutal. Rarely call a fair game. Many times you'll find games where you can get murdered on the ice and they'll call nothing, but then the littlest things get called going the other way. I've seen in high school games where a kid was gotten taken down from behind on a breakaway and no call was made.

Some refs just suck and don't care.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Actually as far as I know, Refs get about $45 or $50 to ref a men's league game. That's $45 for an hour of work. That's not bad at all. If that was a full-time job, they'd be getting close to 100K per year reffing.

I hear they get paid about $75 per high school game. Then even more if they have to zamboni the ice between periods and if it goes to OT in playoffs or whatever. So, no the refs don't get paid all that bad.

Where I play the refs are just brutal. Rarely call a fair game. Many times you'll find games where you can get murdered on the ice and they'll call nothing, but then the littlest things get called going the other way. I've seen in high school games where a kid was gotten taken down from behind on a breakaway and no call was made.

Some refs just suck and don't care.
I would have stuck it out with reffing more when I was younger if that was the wage I pulled in. I usually got about $20 a game, and that's what the refs in my area get too. Still not bad when you consider it's an hour's worth of work, but when you have a bunch of clowns yelling at you on the ice, it can seem pretty un-worth it.

Old
02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Wrong.
They've made a lot of advances in blades since then, in ways that really help a lot with feel, and in the methods of joining the shaft and the blade, which can have an effect on it.

There are a lot of guys who swear that the One95 has better feel then wood sticks. Others love the feel of Easton's blades (which are great- if only they didn't break so quickly... and before you leap on that, they still last longer then a woodie).

It's not just "wood" and "composite", as the huge advantage of composites is that the specs, including the feel, can be tailored to specific needs. It's "wood" and assortment of crappy low end composites, mid range stuff, or the high variation among top end sticks. Off the top of my head, I can think of 9 top end composite sticks in current production- 1 for CCM, 2 for RBK, 2 for Bauer, 2 for Easton, 2 for Warrior. And I suppose you could throw in Easton's ST to make 10. All of which have different blade designs and resultantly, different feel.

I'm going to guess you tried a cheap composite, or one not known for puck feel.
The marketing machine is working well on you I see.

The core materials have remained the same. You can go on and on, but most of the advances since then are cosmetic at best.

I've spoken to several shop owners I've trusted for over a dozen years and they all have said the same thing - not much has changed but the price. You are just paying for the "hype machine".

I also have both high end and low end comps and the difference isn't as big as the manufacturers would have you believe.
I could spray paint a few low end comp and a few high end comp, and I am 100% sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the high end and low end ones. It is more of a durability issue, and even then the micro fractures accrue at about the same rate.

But no matter what kind of comp stick you have, it isn't the same material as wood. It is simply a different material with a different feel.

I love my comps and I'll never go back to wood. But there is a reason why tons of NHLers and other hockey players have said there is a big difference between wood and comps.

Old
02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501

I don't buy into marketing. What I do get excited about is the engineering of something. Case in point, I hate apple with every fiber of my being. All show and little substance.

No, the materials haven't changed much. But the way those materials are configured has changed a hell of a lot. Different densities of foam make a huge difference- where those densities are placed makes a huge difference. How the carbon fibers are oriented makes a huge difference.

The advances have not been in materials, they've been in methods. Also, just so you know, what the shop owners know from selling the stuff does not equal learning about composites from an engineering side.

There is a huge difference between woods and some composites in terms of feel. I use a Vapor XXXX and have used wood before as well. I'm not disputing that. What I am disputing is the insistence on thinking of composites as a uniform category, and a uniform category that has not changed at all in 5 years.

Old
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

I don't buy into marketing. What I do get excited about is the engineering of something. Case in point, I hate apple with every fiber of my being. All show and little substance.

No, the materials haven't changed much. But the way those materials are configured has changed a hell of a lot. Different densities of foam make a huge difference- where those densities are placed makes a huge difference. How the carbon fibers are oriented makes a huge difference.

The advances have not been in materials, they've been in methods. Also, just so you know, what the shop owners know from selling the stuff does not equal learning about composites from an engineering side.

There is a huge difference between woods and some composites in terms of feel. I use a Vapor XXXX and have used wood before as well. I'm not disputing that. What I am disputing is the insistence on thinking of composites as a uniform category, and a uniform category that has not changed at all in 5 years.
It's funny how you want to believe the sticks are that much different now than 5 years ago.

I could hand you an unpainted comp stick from 5 years ago, and one from today, and I am 100% sure you wouldn't be able to differentiate between the two.

Mind mapping and perceived value go a long way in advertising.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I know you were not saying I was lying, I was making a point that i didn't notice a difference between wood and MY composites. I didn't even after using wood for 35 years AND I am a decent player.

The answer didn't satisfy you, I'm sorry for that. I thought I explained it well enough and they have made advances in composites in the last short few years.

I even explained that mine (Harrow) use vibration damper things they call AVS inserts in their shafts expressly for feel purposes. Their blades have a ribbing and foam construction for feel as well and the company has bypassed making their sticks the lightest approach and went for feel.

I mean fact is fact I really honestly and swear to God almighty I noticed NO difference between them and wood. I hope that can satisfy you .... I do not really care what an NHL player has to say about it. Ryan Smyth uses wood blades because he swears by them and I don't ... so what.

Quote:
It's funny how you want to believe the sticks are that much different now than 5 years ago.

I could hand you an unpainted comp stick from 5 years ago, and one from today, and I am 100% sure you wouldn't be able to differentiate between the two.

Mind mapping and perceived value go a long way in advertising.
Lemme guess you use wood right .... never bought a composite because they are junk too right? I hope you are not like my older brother, he is the type of guy that says anything he doesn't use or own is garbage until he owns one and uses it.

I don't like Jazz it doesn't mean the musicians suck ok.

You absolutely could not pull the wool over my eyes with painted composites. For one thing you can buy lively blades and shafts and shafts and blades that are more shock absorbing. They make so many different products now for replacement blades and full sticks.

I have a Bauer One90 blade that has a deader sound when receiving a pass as the foam in it absorbs that lively bounce and deadens the pass. It resembles wood as well for that reason. Some guys like a hard very stiff lively blade. One blade shopping practice I learned is to knock on a blade with a knuckle while holding the hosel with the other hand to check the feel of it before buying it. YOU go and do this in a store and you will see the differences between each blade model.

You absolutely cannot lump ALL composites into one linear universal pile of crap.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 02-09-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old
02-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I know you were not saying I was lying, I was making a point that i didn't notice a difference between wood and MY composites. I didn't even after using wood for 35 years AND I am a decent player.

The answer didn't satisfy you, I'm sorry for that. I thought I explained it well enough and they have made advances in composites in the last short few years.

I even explained that mine (Harrow) use vibration damper things they call AVS inserts in their shafts expressly for feel purposes. Their blades have a ribbing and foam construction for feel as well and the company has bypassed making their sticks the lightest approach and went for feel.

I mean fact is fact I really honestly and swear to God almighty I noticed NO difference between them and wood. I hope that can satisfy you .... I do not really care what an NHL player has to say about it. Ryan Smyth uses wood blades because he swears by them and I don't ... so what.
I have no clue what you are ranting on about here. For the third time, I said my problem with your post wasn't that I thought you were lying, it was that you tried to say people who notice a difference probably don't have soft hands.

No matter how much people want to claim composites have changed since Lemieux played, they haven't. I think he is the best example of someone with soft hands I know of.

Quote:
Lemme guess you use wood right .... never bought a composite because they are junk too right? I hope you are not like my older brother, he is the type of guy that says anything he doesn't use or own is garbage until he owns one and uses it.

I don't like Jazz it doesn't mean the musicians suck ok.

You absolutely could not pull the wool over my eyes with painted composites. For one thing you can buy lively blades and shafts and shafts and blades that are more shock absorbing. They make so many different products now for replacement blades and full sticks.

I have a Bauer One90 blade that has a deader sound when receiving a pass as the foam in it absorbs that lively bounce and deadens the pass. It resembles wood as well for that reason. Some guys like a hard very stiff lively blade. One blade shopping practice I learned is to knock on a blade with a knuckle while holding the hosel with the other hand to check the feel of it before buying it. YOU go and do this in a store and you will see the differences between each blade model.

You absolutely cannot lump ALL composites into one linear universal pile of crap.
I said 3-4 times now I use only composites and will never go back to wood. So I have no clue what you are ranting on about in this part either.

And I know people can be fooled with low end comps vs. high end ones. My buddy got free sticks from his team, but many of them had snake grips so he peeled them off. A few of them were low end "junk" and when he let my buddies who swear by comps try them, many thought they were a high end stick.

If I gave you a brand you never used, let's say an RBK or a Sher-Wood. I could take their best comp and a low end one, spray them, then have you tell me which one was the high end comp, and then I did it with several other brands, I'm positive you wouldn't be able to tell me for a majority of the sticks which one was the "better" stick.

Obviously you would like the feel of some brands better than others, but unless you were told which stick was a high end one, I doubt you would be able to tell.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 02-10-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Pog Form

Total thread hijack. This has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Old
02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Total thread hijack. This has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.
True .... beating a dead horse arguing with a brick isn't helping much.

Point taken.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

One big tip not touched upon for beer leaguers is ..... don't drink beer before playing. You may think you are playing well but you look like ass out there.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
CanadaBacon

Not true.

Dont get drunk before you play.

Beer is full of B12

Old
02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
canadaBacon wrote ...

Not true.

Dont get drunk before you play.

Beer is full of B12
So all of a sudden people drink beer before a game because it is an energy drink. LMAO What is your belief about b12 anyway? I ask this because I take B12 everyday in large doses so I do not get sick and die, I have Pernicious Anemia. I have a disease that requires it and will need to take 7,000 mcgs a day for life to maintain blood levels. The absorbtion rate of b12 is really terrible and high doses are needed to actually get extra B12. It takes years for your liver to store 5 years worth since food is relatively low in B12 because your liver stores it and does not use much when it is needed.

Before you answer .... it takes up to 3 days for any "extra" B12 to be put into use by your body if you need B12 because your B12 levels are low. If your levels are NOT low B12 is a water soluble vitamin and ANY extra is passed out in waste. Your liver stores 5 years worth of B12 and uses it as needed as you get very very little in everyday food. Intrinsic factor, a protein secreted by your stomach, bonds with B12 and is carried off through your digestive system to your liver.

B12's main benefit is blood production and the resulting nerve health and increased metabolism and not extra energy. You are confusing an elevated metabolism with an instant before game consumed energy drink. It just does not work that way ..... at all.

And throw in beer drinkers lower folic acid levels it creates more problems than it benefits from the consumed B vitamins. Folic acid is a b vitamin by the way, B9. You see ALCOHOL is not good for your liver and how it distributes vitamins necessary to be healthy.

Well I'm just saying .... glorifying drinking alcohol before playing hockey is pretty stupid B12 or not. How's this .... playing buzzed hockey is playing drunk hockey, just like in the drunk driving commercials. Drinking before a game is as stupid as drinking before working in the wood shop with power tools.

In any case some of things you come out with amaze me. I'm still thinking of your comments about how a skate hollow determines how fast a blade dulls like somehow a shallower hollow weakens the metal or something.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 02-11-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Lososaurus

Best advice I can offer is put a system in place for positions. Dedicated defense/offense? Take the position of whoever comes off the ice? Doesn't matter, play a system. Then stick to your position and its role.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
94now

Kidding aside, put two layers of tape on the blade or even three and you'll get that wood feeling on your passes. If you don't believe me, play composite without any tape and I can guarantee the horrible "ping".

Closed Thread