HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehtonen to DAL for Ivan Vishnevskiy + 4th

Old
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Interesting.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
There's been enough trade activity over the last month or so that there are no excuses left for Tambellini. Do SOMETHING for ****s sake
What is the rush? Seriously I understand that he has not made a lot of moves but what trade needs to be made before the deadline that can not be made in the Summer?

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Looks like credit goes to Dylan Crawford-- Marc's son. haha

4 hours before anyone got a clue

http://twitter.com/nhl_scoop

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
As GM of a team that's 7 points below 29th, with the exact same roster that got a top-10 pick last year - yes, I think Tambo should be feeling a ton of pressure right now. This roster is full of **** and Tambellini's got less than a week to move the players that buyers might be interested in. Not one Oilers fan should be OK with this complacency, we've known for almost a year that trades need to be made.
I respectfully do not concur. Either trade deadline value is there for the Oilers or its not. If it's not, there is no urgency to compete and no particular benefit to push players out the door before the next trade window at the draft.

Whatever his complicity or fault for the Oilers current predicament, his pressure to "do something" shouldn't push him into inferior deals for their own sake.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Matador

Whoever trades for Turco needs to find roughly $1.5m in cap space. I don't know if the Flyers can do it.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Bergeron47

This may sound dumb, but what contending team would put their faith in Turco? Didnt this guy just lose his job to Alex Auld, and now Kari Lehtonen?

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 0
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Is this the same Vishnevskiy that was on waivers on waivers in 08-09 season?

02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
That was Vitali Vishnevsky.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
That would have most likely been Vitaly Vishnevski

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
This probably seems ludicrous, but Atlanta could be a great dance partner for the Oilers. Hell, given their room and need for players they might even take Horcoff's deal.

Not even joking, would Atlanta consider:

Horcoff, Cogliano/O'Sullivan and Pisani

for

Todd White, 2nd round pick, 4th round pick
Atlanta will not be trading draft picks. They want to pick up more draft picks.

02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
no, this is one of Dallas' top prospects, which doesn't really make sense to me.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
There's been enough trade activity over the last month or so that there are no excuses left for Tambellini. Do SOMETHING for ****s sake
Are you willing to give up a first round draft pick? Teams are probably asking for the Oilers first round pick and Tambellini isn't letting go of that first round draft pick.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 0
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
That was Vitali Vishnevsky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
That would have most likely been Vitaly Vishnevski
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
no, this is one of Dallas' top prospects, which doesn't really make sense to me.
Thanks, I thought something was off.

The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Would you be willing to trade the first round draft pick? I bet the stumbling block is teams asking for the Oilers first round draft pick and Oilers aren't letting go of that pick just to get rid of a contract.
The phone couldn't slam down fast enough.

Maybe teams are trying to get the Oilers 2nd and 3rd rounders, which are going to be 31-32 and 61-62 overall.

Honestly, Atlanta is one team that has big holes to fill and some money at hand.

Kovalchuk, Kubina, Lehtonen and Kozlov gone. They have the flex to take a chance on Horcoff. Cogliano is still a guy who scored 18 goals twice as a young player with limited ice.

I do think the Oilers will have to move Cogliano in order to move Horcoff.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
What is the rush? Seriously I understand that he has not made a lot of moves but what trade needs to be made before the deadline that can not be made in the Summer?
Well certain players tend to be more movable when teams are just in or outside the playoffs. They have the pressure bug to surge into the playoffs or add some insurance to do well if/when they get in. In the Summer they are more worried about crunching cap numbers and free agents. Some of those contracts are likely IMO just easier to move now than in the Summer. Their value might be less at that point as well.

I mean hmm... do I want to trade and give up an asset for an overpaid Moreau or Staios? Rather than possibly get a comparable player on a cheaper contract and give up no assets now that UFA season is here? I know my answer if I was in that position. Those guys would probably be a last resort plan.

Besides to be honest I recall you said something very similar to this just before the draft. What is the rush to make moves at the draft when they can be done in the Summer. I think you remember not much happened. So you could probably excuse some people from getting a antsy about things.

Quote:
Are you willing to give up a first round draft pick? Teams are probably asking for the Oilers first round pick and Tambellini isn't letting go of that first round draft pick.
As usual you greatly exaggerate the situation. No one ever even ask for a top 2 pick just to move some contract like Moreau or Staios etc...

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-09-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:33 PM
TheGudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The phone couldn't slam down fast enough.

Maybe teams are trying to get the Oilers 2nd and 3rd rounders, which are going to be 31-32 and 61-62 overall.

Honestly, Atlanta is one team that has big holes to fill and some money at hand.

Kovalchuk, Kubina, Lehtonen and Kozlov gone. They have the flex to take a chance on Horcoff. Cogliano is still a guy who scored 18 goals twice as a young player with limited ice.

I do think the Oilers will have to move Cogliano in order to move Horcoff.
Just gotta keep addin' sugar 'till the pot is sweet enough. Atlanta won't be near the cap for a while, adding a young roster player/prospect + low draft pick might do it for a return of 3lbs of two year old pancake mix.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Soundwave

We'd have to take some salary back for them to seriously consider Horcoff.

It'd have to be like

Horcoff + Cogliano + 2nd

for

Antropov + Reasoner + 3rd

And even then I dunno.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Alex87

Quote:
No competent GM would ask for our 1st round pick because they know we aren't going to part with it. It would be the same as Tambellini calling up Washington and seeing if Ovechkin was available. You know the answer before you call.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Stars obviously clearing out a d-man to bring in Visnovsky....

I think Lubo would be a better fit on their team. They need a puck mover pretty badly.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
When's Lehtonen coming off the injury reserve?

Last edited by Calgary Oilers: 02-09-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
As GM of a team that's 7 points below 29th, with the exact same roster that got a top-10 pick last year - yes, I think Tambo should be feeling a ton of pressure right now. This roster is full of **** and Tambellini's got less than a week to move the players that buyers might be interested in. Not one Oilers fan should be OK with this complacency, we've known for almost a year that trades need to be made.
There's no pressure on him right now. He couldn't be in a more pressure-free place right now.

He's got until the trade deadline, then he has the offseason, then he has until next trade deadline, when more guys are UFAs-to-be.

There is no quick fix for this team, and reactionary trades will do nothing to help in the long run.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Pure

To think Ottawa paid Vermette for LeClaire (who was also injured lol). And Lehtonen's potential >>> Leclaire considering the system he played in vs. Columbus. Great trade for Dallas.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
When's Lehtonen coming off the injury reserve?
He just finished a little conditioning stint in the AHL after coming back from the IR prior to that from what I understand. So I assume he could play immediately for the Stars if they need him to.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
To think Ottawa paid Vermette for LeClaire (who was also injured lol). And Lehtonen's potential >>> Leclaire considering the system he played in vs. Columbus. Great trade for Dallas.
Compared to Lehtonen, LeClaire is probably super healthy lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well certain players tend to be more movable when teams are just in or outside the playoffs. They have the pressure bug to surge into the playoffs or add some insurance to do well if/when they get in. In the Summer they are more worried about crunching cap numbers and free agents. Some of those contracts are likely IMO just easier to move now than in the Summer. Their value might be less at that point as well.

I mean hmm... do I want to trade and give up an asset for an overpaid Moreau or Staios? Rather than possibly get a comparable player on a cheaper contract and give up no assets now that UFA season is here? I know my answer if I was in that position. Those guys would probably be a last resort plan.

Besides to be honest I recall you said something very similar to this just before the draft. What is the rush to make moves at the draft when they can be done in the Summer. I think you remember not much happened. So you could probably excuse some people from getting a antsy about things.

As usual you greatly exaggerate the situation. No one ever even ask for a top 2 pick just to move some contract like Moreau or Staios etc...

I understand the criticism of Tambellini and agree with it. Note i mentioned that at the beginning of my post. The criticism is warranted and I understand people being ansty. I am not saying he doesn't deserve criticism. This was not a support or excuse Tambellini post.

That being said, most if not all the contracts we want to dump are players that don't have a lot of value.

IMO if we can make a trade before the deadline, it will be right on the deadline.

The problem IMO is that other teams are going to want us to give up draft picks to sweeten the pot and for a rebuilding team, draft picks take on more value.

Perhaps by waiting we may be able to pick up some draft picks to move bad contracts. This is going to take some juggling and the trading of trade picks is often easier during the draft (as an example)

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote