Kari Lehtonen traded to Dallas for Vishnevskiy/4thR

Old
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Enjoy Lehtonen, I've watched him his whole career in Atlanta. He's a good guy with amazing innate talent, but there are some issues to watch out for. Don't worry about it...just beware.

1.) He has poor vision, and struggles all the time with his contact lenses and is always flushing them out during games. This leads to three things:
1a.) He lets in a lot of shots from the point, or bad rebounds from there.
1b.) He can handle the puck well, but he doesn't get out there soon enough because he can't judge it. This drives defensemen nuts because they don't know how he's going to play it. It's part of the reason why Dmen historically just don't play hard for Kari, but they'll go to war for Hedberg.
1c.) He gets run into by guys crashing the crease because he doesn't have the peripheral vision to jump out of the way. This is how he's been injured so much - it's guys clearing him out, not "conditioning issues".

2.) He used to party too much in Atlanta, but he's gotten that under control and that's no longer an issue. He's also been known to over-eat and he even had "The Hamburglar" briefly on his mask.

3.) He absolutely loved Atlanta, but was mostly a shut-in enjoying his very stylish Finn-influenced home. I assume he'll love Dallas too.
Kari was awesome with the fans and grateful for their support.

4.) I've seen him come to camp way out of shape twice - I thought he was going to hurl on the first day. The last healthy camp he had he was in decent shape.

5.) Even when he's been "healthy" I've seen him come up lame from acrobatic saves and really labor with it.

Kari needs a change of scenery, and Dallas should be a good fit...in general Dallas has been a great organization for guys who need to find a new home. I wish him and The Stars and their fans all the best!
This is all true. Lehtonen is a quirky guy, and likes to be something of a recluse. He's immensely talented, but his ethic and desire have come into question. This is very much a boom-or-bust type move for both clubs. Lehtonen could get his act together, and he could be a top-five goalie in the WC. Or, he could continue to be enigmatic. If you can get his weight under control, you have a good chance at a great goalie. But teaching him how to treat his body the way an NHL goalie should could prove to be a trick.

I don't hate Lehtonen. Never have. But I, like team management and a lot of fans, have lost faith in him as an NHL goalie. Hopefully he lives to his potential and plays very well for the Stars.

Kari Lehtonen+Jere Lehtinen= poor broadcasters.

RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:51 PM
None More Negative*

Wow, Joe is a lot dumber than I thought. Not that I mind getting Lehtonen, but should he really have cost IV?

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I guess Lehtonen is gonna have to visit Dr. Booth and then Parkland.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Ashe

This guy will win you games. Much like he did for us. When he was facing 40+ shots a night and still coming on top, You know youve got a goalie. I know have to watch you guys and when he starts. Treat him well Dallas and LT. Chaos.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Another thing to note regarding Lehtonen is he can't handle too many starts in a row.

His early injury woes was as a result of the thrashers over working him.

I know Turco has been a workhorse over the years for Dallas but I wouldn't treat Lehtonen the same way.

It didn't happen in Atlanta, but if you platoon him with Auld, you should get better value and hopefully less/no more injuries.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:25 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyzeus666 View Post
Wow, Joe is a lot dumber than I thought. Not that I mind getting Lehtonen, but should he really have cost IV?
Atlanta wasn't in any hurry. If Nieuwy wanted him before the deadline for the playoff push, he had to give up something substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Another thing to note regarding Lehtonen is he can't handle too many starts in a row.

I think one of the early injury issues with Kari was as a result of the thrashers over working him.

I know Turco has been a workhorse over the years for Dallas but I wouldn't treat Lehtonen the same way.

It didn't happen in Atlanta, but if you platoon him with Auld, you should get better value and hopefully less/no more injuries.
This is perfect for Dallas. Auld is at his best in spurts of 2-3 games.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Alistar

Quote:

yeah playing alot of games in a row isn't what's ideal for Turco either so this should be business as usual.

I need Lehtonen to play in Calgary on Thursday night. NEED IT

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Dr GLU

You also have to wonder if, behind the scenes, Vishnevskiy was threatening to go to the KHL if he wasn't with the Stars next year.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Atlanta wasn't in any hurry. If Nieuwy wanted him before the deadline for the playoff push, he had to give up something substantial.

This is perfect for Dallas. Auld is at his best in spurts of 2-3 games.
Not convinced a goalie who hasn't played a single game this year was brought in for a "playoff push". He was brought in because they think he is the future of this franchise.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Alistar

yeah with the way the team is set up now, this has to be a move for the future - not the present.

Hopefully they can get him re-signed next season at a reasonable rate. Maybe ease him into things this year and give atleast half of the games to Auld (assuming they ditch Turco)

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Not convinced a goalie who hasn't played a single game this year was brought in for a "playoff push". He was brought in because they think he is the future of this franchise.
That too, but there's a reason this was done when it was. There are two more games this season before the Olympic break, which gives Kari plenty of time to find his game in Cedar Park (2 weeks? Is that the limit for AHL conditioning?).

The fact is, Nieuwendyk is a calculating and patient person; I wouldn't simply write this off as a hasty decision. It's possible he just didn't want to miss his opportunity and see him shipped elsewhere, but there wasn't exactly a lot of clamor around the league for Kari's services.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
You also have to wonder if, behind the scenes, Vishnevskiy was threatening to go to the KHL if he wasn't with the Stars next year.
That's what I thought as well. But I figured that the Stars would move somewhere to make sure he's up next season.

I would've liked to see someone else move but I think the trade will work out for both teams. Now hopefully Turco can net something to help recoup some prospects or picks.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 970
Well at least now we'll always have a "Lehts" on the IR.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Killer Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyzeus666 View Post
Lehtonen is a proven quality goaltender that has potential to be elite but has some injury issues. IV is an unproven but talented prospect that is having trouble defensively in the AHL on one of the AHL's best defensive teams. I think its a pretty fair trade. Also you never know if IV will ever stick in the NHL with the KHL as a possibility. From what the Thrashers fans have said it sounds like a change of scenery will do Kari a lot of good. I hope like hell it does.

Killer Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:28 AM
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Gave up a goal from the Center Ice stripe in his rehab game in the AHL last week.
the GA you are referring to took a strange one-hop/skip off the ice on its way in... in any event, there's a nice little Finn contingent there in Dallas so Lehtonen should feel right at home.
best of luck to Kari...

RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:

This is why Dallas fired Tippet. If Tipp's was still the coach here he'd work Lehtonen to death.

As for Leht's weight problem, I'd think Crawford could fix that with little trouble.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberRoger View Post
in any event, there's a nice little Finn contingent there in Dallas so Lehtonen should feel right at home.
Not anymore. Lehtinen is the only one still around after Mittens and Hagman left.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:23 AM
TrueGrit

He looks big, quick, athletic and sound positionally. Get his ass in shape and we may have a gem.

Last edited by TrueGrit: 02-10-2010 at 01:32 AM.
TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:25 AM
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Not anymore. Lehtinen is the only one still around after Mittens and Hagman left.
ah jeez, that's right...
Eriksson is a Swede and Niskanen just sounds Finnish.. can i amend that to 'a modest core of Scandinavians'?

RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:55 AM
aevans0001

IV, you all have seen him play right???? Whats the big deal?

Lets see Turco in the East

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I'm a big fan of Lehtonen and welcome him with open arms. That said, I'm not a fan of the deal itself. I just can't believe Nieuwendijk couldn't convince Waddel to take Niskanen instead of Vishnevskey, but maybe there's more to it. There are worries now though. Daley and Niskanen are not progressing as hoped, Robidas isn't young anymore, while Grossman and Fistric are defensive defenseman. Vishnevskey gave us something to look forward to, being that slick puckmover with a high upside. Only Larsen isn't going to cut it.

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
"Upside" doesn't mean anything, really, in the long run. Vishnevskiy will either be or not be a valuable NHL defensemen one day, and from what I've read about him, the question has always been his ability in his own end. This trade makes me think one of two things - there was a KHL threat if he didn't make the roster next year (and roster room there is fairly tight, especially if they rightfully bring in an upgrade as a FA or trade piece) or that they simply don't like how his game is developing.

They could be wrong. Drafting and development is far from predictable. But I'm willing to give it a shot to see how it plays out and not judge until we know what these players are, not what they might be.

It's not a trade you can rate right now because it really depends on a.) if Lehtonen can get/stay healthy and play and b.) what Vishnevskiy eventually turns in to. I'm not worried about Lehtonen being a bit of an oddball because some goalies just are that way. I am a bit worried about the injury history, but we'll see if that is something that he can put behind him.

I also figure this means there will be more moves in the somewhat near future. I know Nieuwendyk says Turco will play the next two games, but I just don't see them hanging on to three goalies for the long haul, even if that's just the way this season plays out, however it might be.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:34 AM
CJV123

Don't fall for too much Groupthink. Dallas obtained a borderliine Top 15 Goalie for a quality prospect. Dallas needed a Top 15 Goalie. They don't grow on trees. There are far more young puck-moving defensemen in the world than there are candidates to be a Top 15 Goalie next season.

Last edited by CJV123: 02-10-2010 at 07:40 AM.
CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Dans

I meant to post this here, but did so on the Thrasher board.......

Lehtonen is a great high risk high reward pick up for Dallas. He IS a proven no 1, he just has an injury history that could come back to haunt him and his team. What is clear is that he is worth the gamble when you consider Turco's progressive regression over the past years. Sometimes simply making a change makes a huge difference. I think Kari comes in and splits time immediately with Auld and Dallas offload Turco for anything they can get, or even, for as little as they have to give in addition.

A gamble like this warrants giving up a prospect like Vishnevsky in my opinion - if Lehtonen performs anywhere close to his potential and injury free, then this ends up being a monster win for Dallas.

Dans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
psycho_dad

The funny thing in that video was that he still curses in Finnish when he lets one in! "Jumalauta!"

Yeah I can see some of the posters going the usual way...."we gave up our best d-prospect for an injury prone, blind goalie who has rather average numbers" and being all sour about it.

I'll offer a different view. You got the most talented goalie since Dominik Hasek, and with a bit of luck, he might actually turn out just as good in the long run. It happened to Hasek, it happened to Kiprusoff....there are others who have struggled in their first team and then went on to be absolute elite in the league, and if there's one goalie in the league that has the potential to become the next Roy, Hasek or Brodeur...you just got him. Of course potential alone doesn't do much, but that's all your team gave in return also. At least Lehtonen is an above average goalie in the NHL already when he can play. What you gave up for him was not even that.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote