HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec: "I love it here, and I don't see myself playing somewhere else."

Old
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
RevenueSharing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Tanguay, Kovalev, Souray and Komisarek all said the same thing.

Where are they now?
Tanguay wasn't even given a contract offer, we chose Markov over Souray, Kovalev took too much time to decide if he wanted to sign with us so we went with Gionta instead and Komisarek got overpaid.

Nice failed attempt at souring this thread.

RevenueSharing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

with the way he implied that komisarek deserved to be booed and hated and seemed not too highly of what he did, i don't think he'd be hypocritical by doing the exact same thing; saying you really like it here, then ****ing off for a bit more money.

i beleive him and always felt confident just in my personal opinion of his character, that he is a classy and loyal guy. the team drafted him, allow him to flourish and he's comfortable and has no reason to leave.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
HomaridII

Marinaro said just now on L'Ataque a 5 that Plekanec's agent asked for 5 years 30 million yesterday on that Gauthier told him he would get back to him

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Marinaro said just now on L'Ataque a 5 that Plekanec's agent asked for 5 years 30 million yesterday on that Gauthier told him he would get back to him
Better get movin' on getting rid of Scotty then.

Pleks isn't worth Cammalleri money, IMO. I have a huge man crush on him though, so my opinion is void.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Better get movin' on getting rid of Scotty then.

Pleks isn't worth Cammalleri money, IMO. I have a huge man crush on him though, so my opinion is void.
They all agreed that Plekanec can be signed for 5 years, 25 million

But his agent supposedly also said that if he becomes an UFA, he is gone.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
$6 million!? That's Cammalleri money. Cammy at least had 2 PPG seasons and ridiculous goal-scoring totals before he signed.

I love Cammy and Plekanec...but if you think these guys will be big factors in the playoffs...think again! They will both be easily checked and physically punished until they can't take it anymore. I'm sorry but it's true. Notice how they both struggle against defensive, tight-checking teams like NJ and Buffalo? Not a coincidence there.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
They all agreed that Plekanec can be signed for 5 years, 25 million

But his agent supposedly also said that if he becomes an UFA, he is gone.
I can easily live with a 5-5.25M cap hit for Tomas. So long as one of Hamrlik or Gomez's contracts are off the books, because let's face it space will have to be made one way or another and it doesn't seem like the cap will go up..

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I can easily live with a 5-5.25M cap hit for Tomas. So long as one of Hamrlik or Gomez's contracts are off the books, because let's face it space will have to be made one way or another and it doesn't seem like the cap will go up..
Marinaro said that in his opinion, they would sign Plekanec before July 1st for around 5million per season and Hamrlik would be traded before the start of next season.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
its just normal in negotiations that the first offer is high, it will go down as negotiations move along, hopefully we can lower the cap hit and give out more years cause pleks is only 27 and should be in his prime for 6-7 more years

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Habs

Anything more than 5yr 20 he can take a walk. Let's hope this GM is brave enough to trade a ufa before they walk for nothing.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Pascal

"If we can agree on everything, I'll be more than happy to stay here,"

he should ask Gomez if he wants to take a pay cut then

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Pascal

Quote:
yea cuz Crapinaro is soooo trustworthy. I bet he has Plek's agent on speed dial and they go out for beers all the time too.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
yea cuz Crapinaro is soooo trustworthy. I bet he has Plek's agent on speed dial and they go out for beers all the time too.
I understand the annoyance for Marinaro, but why would he lie and make up numbers?

He might reveal things to get attention / ratings , but don't think he would be so low to the point of making up numbers

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Wow, that actually makes the Gomez is completely useless posts look somewhat sane. Nice work, way to rationalize away your insecurities re Gomez. No one prior mentioned Gaborik in this thread as far as I can tell.
except of course the post I replied to and quoted.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Taupy

I would try to give him a long term contract, between 6-8 years.

Captain Plek is here to stay. They have talked about his leadership and work ethic for now at least 3 years, I think he's a darkhorse for the captaincy if we sign him.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I know a certain ontario based team that would probably pay tomas anything he wants.

Habs cant let him go... these types of players dont grow on trees. Its not just the obvious stuff.... I firmly believe he's the habs best penalty killing forward too.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:34 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Marinaro said that in his opinion, they would sign Plekanec before July 1st for around 5million per season and Hamrlik would be traded before the start of next season.
Thought of this too. 6 million for Pleks is just way too much. 5, I can live with and I always thought Hammer won't be playing the final year of his contract with us. A solid UFA d-man like him should be easy to move even with his salary.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenueSharing View Post
Tanguay wasn't even given a contract offer, we chose Markov over Souray, Kovalev took too much time to decide if he wanted to sign with us so we went with Gionta instead and Komisarek got overpaid.

Nice failed attempt at souring this thread.
IIRC, Souray was offered 5.5 per season for around five years. And yes, after Markov was re-signed.

As for Kovalev, was the 500k really a big deal anyway? It's not like the Sens were offering twice the price.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
This is all recited fluff.

Wake me up when they start talking numbers.

Same here.

Jigger77, we may disagree regarding what I am about to write but you are right: negotiations/words/empty talks/heart/true/false/business/passion/(...) ... let's hear some numbers before we truly or correctly understand/interpret Plekanec's love for Montreal. I am not a cynical person btw: some NHL athletes signed for less (home town discount) in the past (Raymond Bourque, Martin Brodeur... are the first names that come to mind) but a lot more NHL athletes just went for the big bucks... despite all their pre-UFA love affair.

At this point, I need to underline that I am a long time fan of Plekanec.

--------------------------

First thing first: imo Plekanec, a home growth talent, holds the keys to this organisation's (near) future.

All the players appreciate their "second home" and all the (NHL) organisations put great value in their "not underperforming" employees... words... just words. Remember Souray and Komisarek? Or Gainey weeks before he fired his "best move"?

Plekanec's words: "... If we can agree on everything, I'll be more than happy to stay here..."

Capish?

Imo if the Habs sign Plekanec long terms (a 4-5M$ cap hit during 3-5+ years), we will stay on the Smurf path until, at least, July 2014:

Combined "Cap hit and size" aside, Plekanec, Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri (especially big mouth Cammalleri!) are four players that I like (I still "believed" in Plekanec in 2008-09 solely base on the facts that he kept working hard and always seems to care... same thing can be said regarding Pacioretty btw)... but not all of them at the same time!

I already admitted a strong bias in favour of size/grits (80+% - imo - of the successful NHL playoffs teams had a well balanced line-up or, if you prefer, they had "diversity/complementary inputs" – not all of them were Smurfs - as one of their cornerstones... if not, just like DET, they relied on 3 of the 10 best players of a specific year) but I sure don't consider size/grits as a panacea. Imo the Europeans and Russians (their playing style) saved the NHL, I prefer international hockey rinks, puck possession rules as in "I hate dump and chase hockey", and, imo, creativity is underrated...

However, to completely overlook the importance of size/grits in critical 5/5 situations, is, imo, short-sighted.

Yes Martin's system is not totally in sync with the team built by Gainey (think of uncreative D squad), yes 7/8 of our Ds are left-handed and it sure gives, continuously and without restraint, half a second to our opponents' forecheckers, yes injuries played a role... but no matter how you spin it, size helps winning 1 V 1 battles.

Plekanec's money would be better invested (Gomez, a good and creative player, is unmoveable - the only GM willing to absorb his contract was in MTL) in a top2 line player with size/grits imo.

Yep... you read it here: size does matter.

Plekanec, multi years deal with a 4-5M$ cap hit? Not with Gomez onboard... unless you feel comfortable on the Smurf path… until, at least, July 2014.

My big mouth aside... am I the only one who like Plekanec's strong two ways contribution, text book work ethic and professional attitude, but, at the same time, with Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri already onboard, wish he won't be back with us in 2010-11?

Should size and grit be completely overlooked?

Just for the record and please keep in mind that I consider Gomez as a good and creative player: give me the choice between 30 years old Gomez at 7,4$M$ or 27 years old Plekanec at 4-5M$... and I sure would take Tomas.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-10-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
macavoy

I hope Gauthier has the balls to sign him before March 3 or trade him. I honestly won't mind if he overpays him before Mar 3 but if he doesn't sign or trade him before then, he's 10 times worse the GM than BG ever was and I will push to string him up every chance I get.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I love Pleks, but I do not agree with moving forward with him and Gomez. Having both means we won't be winning a cup. Don't even try and pretend otherwise. If we are going to keep Pleks long term, then Gomez has to go. Since that is unlikely, trading Pleks is the best thing for the future of the franchise.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:51 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I love Pleks, but I do not agree with moving forward with him and Gomez. Having both means we won't be winning a cup. Don't even try and pretend otherwise. If we are going to keep Pleks long term, then Gomez has to go. Since that is unlikely, trading Pleks is the best thing for the future of the franchise.
You know, people keep saying that goal scorers need play makers but you know what, all year long, Cammy kept scoring when people said he wouldn't, Andrei K scored when he was in doubt, then we got rid of the french messiah in Lattendresse and guess what, we got another pure goal scorer

and guess freakin what, all these goal scorers kept scoring, even though they didn't have any one to dish them the puck.

scoring wins games.

/thread

you know what, I was defending pleks in the summer cuz I knew his talent but he can't win a game on his own, but cammy can, andrei k can, pouliot can.

Those are the guys we need to spend our money on. We are stuck with gomez, he brought us cammy, gionta and we've since added pouliot to andrei.

For the first freakin time, we have like 4+ 25 goal scorers. And we have 2 good goalies.

That is how you win, scoring and saves.

thread.

Now all we need is a winning coach, where is paddy?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
If so, then bye pleks.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Lucius

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/

Plekanec now refers to himself in the 3rd person according to RDS, LOL.

Also... Marinaro is an idiot.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Frankenheimer

Pleks getting 5/per is ok with me. He's earned it. We've been very unlucky this season in terms of injuries. Let's see what this team can do with a healthy roster before declaring we're never going to win the cup with it.

AK -- Pleks -- Cam
Pouliot -- Gomez -- Gionta

That' a lot of potential goal scoring with two great passers.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote