Pavel Kubina

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

vCash: 500
Pavel Kubina

Just curious, what is the Thrashers fan consensus on him?

He's my favourite player in the NHL, and I'm still not over Burke trading him, personally. Thought he was the Leafs best D the previous 2 1/2 seasons. Been trying to keep up with him as a Thrasher, but I must admit that I haven't been entirely successful in accomplishing that

What say you guys?

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Old
02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
GetPucksDeep

He's very good. I think the Thrashers will try and re-sign him, but may not be successful.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

according to Waddell at the Town Hall meeting, he said he has already started talking to his agent and is hopeful that an extension can be worked out. Kubina is evidentally one of the team leaders in the locker room. Best D-man we've ever had.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
He's awesome. Our best defenseman this season without a doubt. Hope we can keep him.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Kubina's great. Would love to re-sign him, but if he won't agree, I'd like to ship him to Washington for a first-rounder and a prospect maybe. (Caps fans idea, not mine). Three first rounders this year should be fun to play with.

Old
02-09-2010, 09:41 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Amazing player, I'm not sure what happened to him in Toronto, but this isn't the bum from Tampa I remember. Would re-sign him in a heartbeat, plays solid top-4 minutes on the PK, PP, and ES.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:00 PM
MatthewT

If he were made available at the deadline I would love for Murray to try and acquire him.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

1st round pick should do it... maybe 1st + prospect ... i'd like to re-sign him though.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Toque-trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
If he were made available at the deadline I would love for Murray to try and acquire him.
You sure you didn't mean Hainsey? Think hard, don't be hasty. There you did mean Hainsey right?

Old
02-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Hockey Biltong

Kubina is an excellent value to the Thrashers.
He is an older chap and it will be interesting to see what price he will ask us to deliver and for how long.
I'd like to see him for 2 or 3 more years. I think he is about 30 years old now.

Old
02-10-2010, 12:15 AM
CaptainKishimoto
=-{Astral Finish}-=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Amazing player, I'm not sure what happened to him in Toronto, but this isn't the bum from Tampa I remember. Would re-sign him in a heartbeat, plays solid top-4 minutes on the PK, PP, and ES.
Toronto traded him (more like his salary) in order to make room for Komisarek. Worst trade ever. =[ But since I'm a Thrashers fan, I love you Burke! I wonder if Kubi will stick around though (especially with the team being so young and acquiring IV).

Old
02-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
according to Waddell at the Town Hall meeting, he said he has already started talking to his agent and is hopeful that an extension can be worked out. Kubina is evidentally one of the team leaders in the locker room. Best D-man we've ever had.
*cough*Enstrom*cough*

Old
02-10-2010, 02:53 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Kubina is going to be looking for a very long term deal that pays him on average $4M+ per season. Waddell is going to scoff at that because he has three vets already on long term deals each well over three million bucks a piece, as well as a hot shot sophomore who is going to need a new $4M deal in a little over a year. Waddell is also going to feel comforted by his growing crop of very promising blueline prospects including the new four horsemen, in Vishnevskiy, Kulda, Postma and Valabik.

Thus, Kubina and ATL will part ways probably at the TDL and the top suitors for his services will be WSH and NJD. Expect no less than a first rounder and a warm body. The bidding should be intense.

Old
02-10-2010, 04:26 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKishimoto View Post
Toronto traded him (more like his salary) in order to make room for Komisarek. Worst trade ever. =[ But since I'm a Thrashers fan, I love you Burke! I wonder if Kubi will stick around though (especially with the team being so young and acquiring IV).
Yeah, I knew about the cap implication surrounding the deal, I meant what happened to him skillwise... pre-TO Kubina would get destroyed by post-TO Kubina. He was a big part of their cup run, but he never impressed me like he has this season. Maybe our guys constantly scoring right in his face influenced my opinion

Old
02-10-2010, 04:37 AM
B72Thrashers

If DW wants this team to make the play offs, he can't afford to trade away Kubina at the deadline. I think he will get offered around a 3/4 year deal with similar money to what he's making just now.

Old
02-10-2010, 07:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
I thought I read Wads is going talk to his agent over the Olympic break.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKishimoto View Post
Actually it was Beauch AND Komisarek. So I don't think it's the worst trade ever. I'm glad he's doing well in Atlanta though, I always liked him on the Leafs.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
odgersfan83

I really think that Kubina's future in Atlanta depends on what happens over the next 3 games leading into the Olympic break.

If we enter the break and we're in a playoff spot, or within a point of being in, and the the team is looking unified and motivated...then I think we gamble and keep him for the rest of the year to make a playoff run.

If we tank the next three games and go into the break 5 or 6 points out...he'll be shipped off.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:07 PM
vomer

Big Kubina fan. I've been to every home game, and he rarely disappoints.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
brownvm

I think we acquired Oduya to ease losing Kubina. Re-signing Kubina would push Bogosian, Oduya, or Hainsey to the third pairing. Just seems silly, and I think our money is better spent on a Centerman.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownvm View Post
I think we acquired Oduya to ease losing Kubina. Re-signing Kubina would push Bogosian, Oduya, or Hainsey to the third pairing. Just seems silly, and I think our money is better spent on a Centerman.

We have Antro, Pevs, and Reasoner all under contract for next season. We have 2 "bottom 6" center prospects playing in Chicago right now. I think you meant wing.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
brownvm

No, Center. Antropov should be playing Wing. Peverley should be getting second-line Center time, like he's getting, and we need to spend the money Kovalchuk wanted on a Center. Reasoner is also fine where he is.

Old
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
thrashtoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownvm View Post
No, Center. Antropov should be playing Wing. Peverley should be getting second-line Center time, like he's getting, and we need to spend the money Kovalchuk wanted on a Center. Reasoner is also fine where he is.
I disagree re: Antro...he is playing great at center and is phenomenal on defense. Keep him there.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i don't know about best defenseman ever(what is enstrom chopped liver?) but he is certainly very good and worth 5 million if that is what i takes to re-sign him.

as it stands we have about 10 million in cap space plus zhitnik's buyout number coming off next season and likely armstrong's 2.4 million gone and kozlov's 3.6 million. after that the highest salary besides kubina's 5 million is hedberg's 1 million. we could easily afford to re-sign him and still be an active player in free agency if our owners are willing to again like we were last season.

-let's say that little gets a raise to about 2-2.5 million
-bergfors get's 1.5 million or so, no idea how much he may want but this is probably a close guess.
-afinogenov is re-signed for 3 million(probably what it would take to keep him here after he has reestablished himself, but over 2 million and i would let him walk
-slater is resigned at 1 million
-boulton igets current contract
-kubina is re-signed at 5 million
-pavelec gets 2 million
-hedberg gets 1 million

our lines
bergfors(1.5)-antropov(4.0)-little(2.0)
kane(3.1)-peverley(1.3)-afinogenov(3.0)
white(2.3)-slater(1.0)-machacek(0.8)
boutlon(0.6)-reasoner(1.1)-thorburn(0.6)

enstrom(3.7)-kubina(5.0)
bogosian(3.3)-oduya(3.0)
hainsey(4.5)-valabik(0.7)
kulda(0.5)

pavelec(2.0)
hedberg(1.0)

total-44.46 million.
still leaves plenty of room to sign a quality free agent if possible and remain well under the salary cap. hopefully we could move hainsey and white for an upgrade in the top 6, maybe buffalo would be willing to give us vanek for them if we added new jersey's first. who knows. it's not like we have to clear any salary though.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
brownvm

Okay, well let's keep Antro at Center and just not let him take faceoffs anymore.....

And we absolutely cannot give Afinogenov $3 Mill. He won't sign here anyways.

Closed Thread