HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turco to Philly Discussion

Old
02-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
If you can get any expiring contract for Briere or Hartnell, do it. I don't care if you're trading for a guy who just found out he's got ALS...got to get those albatross contracts off the books.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:47 AM
jb**

If it is the only way to dump a long term contract, you have to seriously consider it. Shooter not being the shrewdest of gm's will probably add a pick instead of getting one back.

Briere or hartnell for turco. Why not, though they should get something else in return.. Then again does anyone have any confidecne in Shooter then using that money wisely in free agency or for others deal?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenTone View Post
http://broadstreetscoop.wordpress.com/

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio last week "that [Turco deal] is not happening. There is no chance of that happening. If we had interest in Marty Turco, we’d certainly look at him over the summer. We can’t take that cap hit [at that spot]."
read bewteen the lines. He doesnt say they dont want turco, he is sayign they dotn have the cap space.

Old
02-10-2010, 09:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
If you can get any expiring contract for Briere or Hartnell, do it. I don't care if you're trading for a guy who just found out he's got ALS...got to get those albatross contracts off the books.
No you don't. Briere gives this team a better chance to win than a has-been goalie with a reputation of choking. I'd rather take my chances Emery will be healthy again, he's at least made it to the finals.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No you don't. Briere gives this team a better chance to win than a has-been goalie with a reputation of choking. I'd rather take my chances Emery will be healthy again, he's at least made it to the finals.
you don't get it, do you?

We need to create cap space, and Briere is killing us. He isn't worth $6.5m and if we can get rid of his contract, it would be a great move for the team

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

We need to create cap space, and Briere is killing us. He isn't worth $6.5m and if we can get rid of his contract, it would be a great move for the team
Okay.

So we dump Briere and Hartnell somewhere, anywhere at the trade deadline for expiring contracts.

That's $10.70m to play with on the open market. Find me two better players for $10.70m GO! (Considering all post-lockout seasons.)

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:

These rumors are based on Rayzor being injured for the year !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I would be fine with Marty Turco if Emery is injured. Turco is a good goalie and probably an upgrade from Emery, but if Emery is healthy trading away someone like Briere or really anyone on the NHL roster, is not a great move. It would be a slight upgrade in goal plus a downgrade in whomever else was included in the deal. Unless more was coming back with him, I would not want Turco if Emery is healthy.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Okay.

So we dump Briere and Hartnell somewhere, anywhere at the trade deadline for expiring contracts.

That's $10.70m to play with on the open market. Find me two better players for $10.70m GO! (Considering all post-lockout seasons.)
i never said both Briere and Hartnell, just one of them

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
jb**

Quote:

For arguments saek, imagine taking his 6.5 and adding another 1.5 to get kovy.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Okay.

Kovulchuk and mike maneluk!

Old
02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

The Flyers goal is to win the Cup this season. Not to play with cap space next season.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
jb**

Quote:
The Flyers goal is to win the Cup this season. Not to play with cap space next season.
that goal is a longshot though at best. They need to realize this and Prepare for next year and what moves need to be made. With the right moves they can be right back into a real cup contender.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
If Homer trades for turco, Thats when I will officially call for his head.

Marty Turco can **** donkeys

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
that goal is a longshot though at best. They need to realize this and Prepare for next year and what moves need to be made. With the right moves they can be right back into a real cup contender.
Imagine you're Paul Holmgren and you're having a meeting with Ed Snider (and Peter Luukko I guess) and you're trying to sell them on trading for an outcast goalie with a huge cap number who is an expiring contract for a guy you had so much faith in that you signed him to an 8-year contract, gave him a no-move clause, and you want to trade him to get rid of his cap number.

These are questions if I'm Snider and Luukko:

1 - Why are we trying to acquire our 4th goaltender since July?
2 - Why are we trying to trade a player who got a franchise-player worthy contract with a no-move clause?
3 - Why did we trade essentially 6 1st round draft picks for Matt Carle and Chris Pronger if the need to clear out cap space for next season outweighs the contributions of this player could provide in the playoffs? With that Pronger trade you indicated that the Stanley Cup was within reach.
4 - Why would we be ok with this? We don't even let the Sixers do it, and they're completely hopeless.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Risking Turco is a baddddd decision.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
This. They made it abundantly clear they were going for broke when they traded for Pronger. And that is fine. I am all about winning it now. It would be nice to have a good team five years down the road and compete for a Stanley Cup. But we can compete right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd trade anyone on this team plus all of our picks to win a Cup this year. I've never seen the Flyers win a Cup and I'm tired of waiting. If Emery is out we are not winning a Cup with Leighton and Boucher in net. The moves they made in the past and moves they make this year can **** up this franchise all they want for the next ten years if they win a Cup this season. There are no guarantees in anything. Keeping draft picks and making different trades have just as good a chance of not working as making the trades we have been making now. Go big or go home.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
jb**

Quote:
Imagine you're Paul Holmgren and you're having a meeting with Ed Snider (and Peter Luukko I guess) and you're trying to sell them on trading for an outcast goalie with a huge cap number who is an expiring contract for a guy you had so much faith in that you signed him to an 8-year contract, gave him a no-move clause, and you want to trade him to get rid of his cap number.

2 - Why are we trying to trade a player who got a franchise-player worthy contract with a no-move clause?
3 - Why did we trade essentially 6 1st round draft picks for Matt Carle and Chris Pronger if the need to clear out cap space for next season outweighs the contributions of this player could provide in the playoffs? With that Pronger trade you indicated that the Stanley Cup was within reach.
4 - Why would we be ok with this? We don't even let the Sixers do it, and they're completely hopeless.
1. Because i am incompetent. emery is done for the year and we need an upgrade. We can sacrifice some scoring as are goals against will also decrease. We then will more flexability next year to address what ever needs we may have.

2. Because I am incompetent and cant control myself when we had plenty of money to spend. Things have changed. Danny has played well. However he may be reaching that stage of diminishing returns. It would be best to unload his contract.

3. Because i am incompetant. We have pronger locked up. Lets look at the big picture and move forward. We can still get hot and have a shot this year as we have the talent but need as goalie. Itr isnt only about this year.

4. Becaue i am the gm and i know what i am doing.

Plenty of reason why shooter should be let go. I competely hear what your saying. For the most part snider lets his gm do what he wants unless it is a megadeal. This isnt a megadeal.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
DrHamburg

Is this really a conversation? Flyers are getting a chance to do Briere for Turco straight up and people are saying No? Freeing up 6.5 Million in cap space for next year and people are saying no? Besides free agents, flyers would also be in the mix for trades to add expiring deals. Penguins have done it and its worked out great, i mean look at billy guerin and what the penguins gave up for him (5th conditional to 3rd if they win the cup?) and he has more points this season than danny briere.

Am I missing something? I love briere and if there was no cap id say no way, but we are talking about cap flexibility and with briere gone the flyers have their top 6 without argument. Despite all of that, what if Turco actually plays well? I mean he doesn't exactly have a decent defense in dallas to work with. this is mind boggling

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

Snider isn't an idiot, the answer would be simple - That Briere has not lived up to his contract and freeing up 6.5 million dollars to spend in the offseason would enable to make a significant splash in 1) improving the team and 2) creating a buzz for the fans

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
1. Because i am incompetent. emery is done for the year and we need an upgrade. We can sacrifice some scoring as are goals against will also decrease. We then will more flexability next year to address what ever needs we may have.

2. Because I am incompetent and cant control myself when we had plenty of money to spend. Things have changed. Danny has played well. However he may be reaching that stage of diminishing returns. It would be best to unload his contract.

3. Because i am incompetant. We have pronger locked up. Lets look at the big picture and move forward. We can still get hot and have a shot this year as we have the talent but need as goalie. Itr isnt only about this year.

4. Becaue i am the gm and i know what i am doing.

Plenty of reason why shooter should be let go. I competely hear what your saying. For the most part snider lets his gm do what he wants unless it is a megadeal. This isnt a megadeal.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Snider isn't an idiot, the answer would be simple - That Briere has not lived up to his contract and freeing up 6.5 million dollars to spend in the offseason would enable to make a significant splash in 1) improving the team and 2) creating a buzz for the fans
Yep. Definitely didn't live up to it.

He just revitalized the team when they were the worst team in the league, had a rough season with injuries, which can happen to anyone (see Forsberg, Primeau), and mind you we didn't have a cap hit while he was on LTIR, and then is now 4th on this team in points and is continuing to skate every game, something that most players on this team don't seem to do.

Apparently if you can't fly and catch Lois Lane falling out of a building you don't live up to a $6.5 million contract.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm going to play Ed Snider here:

The off-season is after the playoffs. Why do we need to trade his player to clear his cap space before the playoffs? We're supposed to win the Stanley Cup this season. Not next season, this season. Having extra cap space next season does not help us this season.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
McNasty

Quote:
I'm going to play Ed Snider here:

The off-season is after the playoffs. Why do we need to trade his player to clear his cap space before the playoffs? We're supposed to win the Stanley Cup this season. Not next season, this season. Having extra cap space next season does not help us this season.
Because it's not very often you can address a short term need with a long term solution.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Because it's not very often you can address a short term need with a long term solution.
The Flyers aren't long-term thinkers. It's rarely about the long-term.