HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers move AHL franchise to Oklahoma City

Old
02-09-2010, 10:16 PM
HockeyFan4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
Press Conference

For those who missed it today.
OKC AHL Press Conference

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Strong move by the oil. they bring the team closer to edmonton and they also get a team that they own and can run however they want. BTW can you put that press conference on page 1 I can't look at it right now and don't want to forget which page its on thx.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Ok Coil Kings . Com

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
VayaConDios

I don't get why they don't put a team in somewhere like Thunder Bay or something, but whatever its good that they own the team.

VayaConDios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Hemsky4PM

Interestingly enough, there is a county in the OKC area called Canadian County (named for the Canadian River).

OK Canadians?

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Interestingly enough, there is a county in the OKC area called Canadian County (named for the Canadian River).

OK Canadians?
Why not just use Canucks.....

Old
02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Is it just me, or does Edmonton go through farm teams like Madonna went through professional athletes?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
For those who missed it today.
OKC AHL Press Conference
Thanks for that. I was hoping since Olczyk said Tambo and Lowe would be there soon to answer questions. That they might tack that part on with the stuff from the live stream. Oh well...

Glad to see this announcement and I am really looking forward to seeing the team in OKC. It seems like a great place with a rabid fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Is it just me, or does Edmonton go through farm teams like Madonna went through professional athletes?
Well they signed a 3 year affiliation agreement with Springfield and stayed for 3 seasons.

The Edmonton Roadrunners thing was a 1 year stop gap from the start during the lockout. After that they had no affiliation of their own for a couple seasons and just loaned the prospects out to various teams.

Basically as I mentioned before in the thread (judging by some posts I am assuming no one read much of the thread before posting?) this is their dormant Roadrunner franchise they are finally re-activating after searching for a good place to do it since the lockout.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

So does this mean that there's finally going to be 30 teams in the AHL next season, instead of the idiotic 29?

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 886
Seriously, they had better not use a name like Oilers in OC.

OCOilers? Might as well give Calgary and Vancouver fans a license to kill.

Oklahoma City Heat.

Oklahoma City Slickers.

Oklahomoes?

Oklahoma City Weather. (free plugs statewide)

Oklahoma City Eagles. (lots of logo potential, American)

Oklahoma City Bison. (state mammal)

And of course the Oklahoma City RoadRunners!

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Roughnecks IMO would be a great name.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
OilRick

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Ok Coil Kings . Com
That is exactly what I see as well Trojan, "COil kings"

OilRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:01 AM
DousedInOil

Lets hope that we can give them a good season next year. Honestly, I thought we had the tools this year but really mis-managed our prospects by bringing so many call-ups. If our AHL team had Dubnyk, Chorney, and Potulny this year for the entire season they probably would be a playoff team.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
wow thats pretty far south ..
Souray would be a lot closer to his kid once we waive + demote him

another crappy season like this and we'll have players requesting 2 week conditioning stints to AHL in the middle of winter.
Funny thing is didn't souray mention Dallas as a team he'd go to? I can't remember.

Hockeyfan4life, I didn't realize there was another hockey fan in Oklahoma. I'm about 30 minutes north east of Tulsa.

I think it's awesome that professional teams are coming to Oklahoma. Somebody asked what some positives are about to OKC. The biggest one? Fan base. That's the reason the Thunder came here. When the Hornets came here after hurricane katrina, the support was huge. It was so big that the NBA knew they had to get a team here ASAP. Another good example is the OKC Blazers. Very strong fanbase through out that franchise. Being from Tulsa I was an Oiler (tulsa) fan, and aside from when we won the championship in 93, OKC would kick our ass pretty regularly. I was extremely surprised the Blazers folded. I heard it was because of the economy, not due to low attendence. Maybe Hockeyfan4life could explain why they folded better. Either way, I'm excited to get an AHL team here in Oklahoma. We are finally starting to shift into the pro market, rather than just be a die hard college state. God I hate college sports.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Funny thing is didn't souray mention Dallas as a team he'd go to? I can't remember.

Hockeyfan4life, I didn't realize there was another hockey fan in Oklahoma. I'm about 30 minutes north east of Tulsa.

I think it's awesome that professional teams are coming to Oklahoma. Somebody asked what some positives are about to OKC. The biggest one? Fan base. That's the reason the Thunder came here. When the Hornets came here after hurricane katrina, the support was huge. It was so big that the NBA knew they had to get a team here ASAP. Another good example is the OKC Blazers. Very strong fanbase through out that franchise. Being from Tulsa I was an Oiler (tulsa) fan, and aside from when we won the championship in 93, OKC would kick our ass pretty regularly. I was extremely surprised the Blazers folded. I heard it was because of the economy, not due to low attendence. Maybe Hockeyfan4life could explain why they folded better. Either way, I'm excited to get an AHL team here in Oklahoma. We are finally starting to shift into the pro market, rather than just be a die hard college state. God I hate college sports.
I'd hate college sports too if I had to cheer for the Spooners.

Hook 'em Horns.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:14 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
One thing that might come out of this? A greater desire to keep established talents (or put big names) in the AHL market from a business perspective. It gives Oilers management greater incentive to place a guy like Eberle in the minor league system, should he fail to grab the roster spot out of camp.

I actually think this is a great time for a fresh start at the AHL level with Cornet, Vande Velde, Petry and potentially Riley Nash coming out of the junior/college ranks.

I just hope they also realize that signing AHL veterans was a good move and bring some guys like Linglet, Minard and Arsene along as well.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
One thing that might come out of this? A greater desire to keep established talents (or put big names) in the AHL market from a business perspective. It gives Oilers management greater incentive to place a guy like Eberle in the minor league system, should he fail to grab the roster spot out of camp.

I actually think this is a great time for a fresh start at the AHL level with Cornet, Vande Velde, Petry and potentially Riley Nash coming out of the junior/college ranks.

I just hope they also realize that signing AHL veterans was a good move and bring some guys like Linglet, Minard and Arsene along as well.
Does anyone know how long they were signed for, and seeing as how the Oilers signed them, are they Oilers property? Or do they stay in Springfield?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Does anyone know how long they were signed for, and seeing as how the Oilers signed them, are they Oilers property? Or do they stay in Springfield?
I think they were only signed for 1 season. But if not they would come along. The Oilers sign and pay all the players on the AHL farm team.

I would especially love if the Oil would push hard to re-sign Minard and Linglet and even guys like Fretter and Wiseman have been solid down there.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I think they were only signed for 1 season. But if not they would come along. The Oilers sign and pay all the players on the AHL farm team.

I would especially love if the Oil would push hard to re-sign Minard and Linglet and even guys like Fretter and Wiseman have been solid down there.
I was going to say someone aught to mention Fretter and Wiseman.

Linglet: 55GP 12G 41A 53P
Fretter: 54GP 22G 19A 41P
Wiseman: 42GP 14G 22A 36P
Minard: 20GP 11G 6A 17P

Once you start adding Eberle, Nash, Vande Velde, and Cornet you think we might have a pretty solid team in OKC.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:10 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
The beauty thing is it should be somewhat easy to keep them on.

The Oilers will pay big money (for the AHL; as they did last summer) and some of them will not only get two-way contracts, they know they'll have a much greater chance of playing a few games in Edmonton's system than most others.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:50 AM
james bond

Does anyone know if the Oilers are putting in a new practice-training facility?

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:41 AM
HockeyFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Does anyone know if the Oilers are putting in a new practice-training facility?
I don't think so, cause there is already an existing facility here.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
mikemc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
The beauty thing is it should be somewhat easy to keep them on.

The Oilers will pay big money (for the AHL; as they did last summer) and some of them will not only get two-way contracts, they know they'll have a much greater chance of playing a few games in Edmonton's system than most others.
Well, it's either big AHL money, or it's a two way contract - it can't be both.

The CBA's provisions on two way contracts caps the AHL portion of it to something like $75,000. (the number could have gone up, I just remember this from a couple years ago when it was a trending topic)

That's why a lot of AHL vets give up on two way contracts so they can just make some money while still playing.

Unless this part of the CBA has changed, but as far as I know it hasn't.

mikemc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

With reference to some of our guys who don't want to come over due to lower $$$'s in the AHL...could the Oilers give Linus Omark $2 mil on an AHL contract or not?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:45 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
I don't think so, cause there is already an existing facility here.
Can you describe the facility? I thought the Oilers may want something world class for their preimere development franchise, something to what the Washington Capitals have.

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote