HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Ferland...

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 06:42 AM

vCash: 500
Jonathan Ferland...

He's been a pleasant surprise this year, the first gamehe played he showed better skating than I thought, and I was at the rookie tournament and got to see him up close and his skating is not that much of an issue. He surprised many last year by sticking with the big club for a while and he's gone pretty much unoticed up to now but he's still here.

Showed good forechecking ability in the first game and he's very physical, has good size.

BG has stated that he'd like to have a bigger lineup any chance this guy makes it this year, I know with the numbers game it's pretty impossible, but if he really had no chance don't you think he would of been sent down already, the management seems pretty high on this kid, stay tuned.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Where would he play? There's no room left for him up front granted Hossa, Ryder, Ribeiro and Ward will likely all make the team.

Also, Perezhogin and Plekanec are still with us too. That doesn't mean they'll make the team either.

Ferland needs some seasoning in the AHL given his limited skills. Maybe a year or two. He could become he good 3rd/4th liner but not right now. It's too soon for him.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Where would he play? There's no room left for him up front granted Hossa, Ryder, Ribeiro and Ward will likely all make the team.

Also, Perezhogin and Plekanec are still with us too. That doesn't mean they'll make the team either.

Ferland needs some seasoning in the AHL given his limited skills. Maybe a year or two. He could become he good 3rd/4th liner but not right now. It's too soon for him.
I completely agree with you, but you have to wonder how come he's stil up here, I mean with Higgins, Perezhogin, and Plekanec these are all high draft picks (Plekanec a 3rd round but still pretty high) and I can understand the extended look, but Ferland was drafted in the 5th round and usually those players are sent down much earlier, he might be part of the immediate plans for the team given our lack of size up front, but I doubt he'll make the team, but he'll definately be a player to keep an eye on.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Corey

He doesn't have to make the team right now. He's only 20. I liked what I saw of him in the game against Boston, and his size is a plus.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:05 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I completely agree with you, but you have to wonder how come he's stil up here, I mean with Higgins, Perezhogin, and Plekanec these are all high draft picks (Plekanec a 3rd round but still pretty high) and I can understand the extended look, but Ferland was drafted in the 5th round and usually those players are sent down much earlier, he might be part of the immediate plans for the team given our lack of size up front, but I doubt he'll make the team, but he'll definately be a player to keep an eye on.
I recall Julien saying he didn't want to make too many cuts too early when questioned by a journalist given they'll have to play 4 games in 5 days (september 26th, 27th, 29th, 30th) so it's the reason why. He said it could be dangerous for injuries to play the same players 4 times in 5 days and that's likely what motivates his actions 'til now.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:39 AM
RichardZednik#20

Marc Bureau said he is like a young Claude Lemieux with more skills. If he can become that, it would be awesome.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:51 AM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Actually Ferland was a 7th round pick, the 5th round pick goes to Michael Lambert!

will he make the team... I don't know and I don't think so... because of what Munchausen said (except for hossa cuz I think he's having a bad camp)... but there's another thing to think about, I've heard many comment about how it's not fair for a talented guy (ex: Ribs) to play on the 4th line because he can't play the way he should, or he can't express himself with 2 untalented guy (ex: Blouin and Kilger)

I don't think I want to see Perezhogin (or higgins)playing with Blouin, or Dackell, or any other ungifted player, I want a fourth line that can ignite something and that's why they call it a Checking line... I'm not saying that Ferland will make the team this year, but I think he still here because he hit and that's what we need on the 4th line, let the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line for the more talented like perezhgin, higgins, hossa, etc...

Old
09-25-2003, 09:02 AM
habsfansam

No Skills??

i find it odd that someone would say that Ferland has no skills when he was on one of the top lines in junior hockey last year... anyone who can pot 40+ goals, and has a +/- in the +30 range is obviously doing something right.

Actually i'm not suprised that he's still around in camp. he's big, he likes to hit, he can shoot, and he's got a good attitude. I seem to recall that when marc bureau was traded he said that the reason that the habs were having troubles is that they dumped all their character guys for (smaller) skilled players. Given time i think ferland will be able to play a solid 3rd line role, and move up to a scoring line when we need some more size.

Give the guy a break, he's already fighting odds as a late rounder who's blooming nicely...

Closed Thread