HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

02/09/2010 Bruins at Sabres 7:00pm

Old
02-09-2010, 09:47 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
That's our Darcy - building teams that are only a rookie-defenseman-injury away from missing the playoffs.

(and I agree completely with your assessment.)
I love your convoluted logic.

Darcy targets him in that draft, trades up to get him. He blossoms into the player we now see and that should be held against Darcy?

10 in '10 right.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I love your convoluted logic.

Darcy targets him in that draft, trades up to get him. He blossoms into the player we now see and that should be held against Darcy?

10 in '10 right.
Giving him credit for drafting Myers doesn't change the fact that this defense will suck hard if he misses significant time.

Unless you honestly believe that Darcy went into this season expecting Myers to become our #1 defenseman.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Giving him credit for drafting Myers doesn't change the fact that this defense will suck hard if he misses significant time.

Unless you honestly believe that Darcy went into this season expecting Myers to become our #1 defenseman.
Wait a minute either Darcy built a team that needs Myers in the lineup to win or he had no idea he would become the #1 dman.

If he had no idea Myers would be the #1 dman. Then Regier obviously didn't build the team around relying on Myers.

But carry on with your convoluted logic

You honestly think they can't make the playoffs without Myers? I guess thats not surprising since you tought they weren't going to make it with him. 10 in '10

Old
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Wait a minute either Darcy built a team that needs Myers in the lineup to win or he had no idea he would become the #1 dman.
Try again.

1. Darcy had no idea Myers would be our #1 dman.
2. Darcy built a team that, with an amazing rookie season from Myers, is leading the division but fading fast.
3. That team, without Myers, will have a damn hard time making the playoffs.

Not very complicated, regardless of what you think of my snarky pre-season "predictions." But keep setting up that straw man if you need it.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Try again.

1. Darcy had no idea Myers would be our #1 dman.
2. Darcy built a team that, with an amazing rookie season from Myers, is leading the division but fading fast.
3. That team, without Myers, will have a damn hard time making the playoffs.

Not very complicated, regardless of what you think of my snarky pre-season "predictions." But keep setting up that straw man if you need it.
Don't try and run from what you've thought of this team from the get go by claiming I'm setting up a strawman.

You didn't think they would make the playoffs and made that loud and clear all summer long and early in the season. You are the guy that rants about how this organization isn't about building a winner. Even recently posting that they don't even care if the make the playoffs.

So I guess with that mindset their success must seem like a fluke or luck to you. Since in your mind they obviously were not trying to build a winner. That is what you have been asserting the last few days is it not?

Now that they have cooled off,suddenly the attacks from the summer are back with a vengence. Now Regier is just lucky and so is the team to be where they are.

So bascially any success they have had this year is luck and not caused by anything the organization has done to build a winning team.

If you want to keep calling this a strawman. Then go right ahead and keep running from your own stated opinions about this organization.

Btw two more points

1) you have no idea what Regier's expectations were from Myers this year. But he did draft him to develop into a #1 dman.
2) Whats the point of arguing if Myers wasn't here they would struggle to make the playoffs? He is here and playing well.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-09-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old
02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Don't try and run from what you've thought of this team from the get go by claiming I'm setting up a strawman.
That's exactly what you're doing. Who's running from anything? You're the one completely avoiding the point - that this defense is extremely weak without Myers - and going off on some tangent about my expectations for the team. Completely irrelevant, and I have no issues with my stated opinion of the team. I still think there's a good chance we either sneak in to the playoffs as a low seed or even miss altogether.

Considering that you yourself in other threads have implied that most people, seemingly including yourself, didn't expect this team to be where they are right now, I think it's a bit odd to come in here and pretend you've been Mr. Positive and knew exactly what we'd do the whole time.

You can't honestly think Darcy was planning all along for Myers to come in and have this kind of rookie campaign? That's absurd.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
joshjull

Quote:
That's exactly what you're doing. Who's running from anything? You're the one completely avoiding the point - that this defense is extremely weak without Myers - and going off on some tangent about my expectations for the team. Completely irrelevant, and I have no issues with my stated opinion of the team. I still think there's a good chance we either sneak in to the playoffs as a low seed or even miss altogether.

Considering that you yourself in other threads have implied that most people, seemingly including yourself, didn't expect this team to be where they are right now, I think it's a bit odd to come in here and pretend you've been Mr. Positive and knew exactly what we'd do the whole time.

You can't honestly think Darcy was planning all along for Myers to come in and have this kind of rookie campaign? That's absurd.
I'm not running at all from what I've thought of this team. I expected them to make the playoffs and if everything broke right (as in no major injuries). I thought they had a shot at home ice. They are currently at the high end of my expectations.

So yes I had a much more positive take on this team from the get go than yourself (which admittedly wasn't hard to do ). My positive view of the team from day 1 colors my opinion just like your negative outlook shapes your own. Its the prism through which we view things that have transpired this season.

So with that in mind lets get back to Myers. Instead of looking at his growth this year and his emergence as a #1 dman sooner than any of us thought he would as a good thing. You see it as yet another example of Regier's inability to build a good team because his absence would be so costly.

When I say we have no idea what Regier expected from Myers this year. I'm not asserting I think Regeir saw him developing this fast. What I am saying is how far off from Regier's expectations is Myers? I think its fair to say they were expecting an all situations dman that could play 20min a game. Which is pretty much what he was from the get go. In the first 6 games of the year he played 16:13, 19:49, 24:56, 22:08, 18:28, 17:04 (an average of 20min a game). He hasn't played less than 20 since then. He has also PKed and manned the point on the PP every game but the first one where he only PKed.

The point being is they expected big things from him. Ruff had faith in him from the get go or he wouldn't have gotten the minutes and responsibilites he did at the start of the year. Its a huge bonus that he has thrived in those roles. Compare how quickly he was trusted in these roles to how long it took Sekera, Butler and Weber to have any level of trust with Ruff. I think its fairly obvious the expected a lot from him. Sekera was given the same opportunity at the start of last season and he was unable to rise to the challenge like Myers has this year.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.