HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Product not made in China

Old
02-10-2010, 08:43 AM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

vCash: 500
Product not made in China

I do everything humanly possible to avoid products made in China; do any of the major names like Bauer, CCM, etc., manufacture any of their gear (pads, helmets, etc) outside china?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:10 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Some top end skates are made in Canada. For example RBK 1K - 8K, china. 9K, made in Canada. But yeah, it's sad really.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:25 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I do everything humanly possible to avoid products made in China; do any of the major names like Bauer, CCM, etc., manufacture any of their gear (pads, helmets, etc) outside china?
Do you mind if I ask why?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
mbush82

My One95 skates say they were made in Canada. I'm also pretty sure Easton sticks are all made in Mexico.

mbush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Johan Santana

My Bauer shin pads, helmet, Bauer stick and Sher-Wood stick are all made in Canada, as are my jerseys, socks. my elbow pads are made in Sweden.

all my stuff is older so it was before they moved production to china.

If you buy Pro Stock stuff, most of it is made in Canada

Currently looking for gloves made in Canada, I think the Graf gloves are made in Canada. But i heard Graf gloves are kinda crappy

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
koh19

The guy at my local hockey shop said that Easton sticks are all made in Mexico and NOT in China, so Easton sticks are basically tougher than other makes. So far, I agree with him.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
The guy at my local hockey shop said that Easton sticks are all made in Mexico and NOT in China, so Easton sticks are basically tougher than other makes. So far, I agree with him.
Warrior sticks are also made in Mexico.

Just because it's made over seas doesn't mean it's crap. If it is crap, shame on the company for allowing it to happen, and believe they can control what comes out of these factories.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Warrior sticks are also made in Mexico.

Just because it's made over seas doesn't mean it's crap. If it is crap, shame on the company for allowing it to happen, and believe they can control what comes out of these factories.
For all I know, the product made in China might be superior to what is made elsewhere.

This is a hockey forum, and I do not wish the thread to turn political, i.e, off topic, but it is for political reasons that I do not wish to do business with or financially support either China or any firms that are doing business there.

Sadly, much of what I've purchased so far was made there, but it really seems unavoidable unless looking at the highest end stuff.

It is also one of the main reasons I purchased Graf skates, but I cannot afford to buy "pro-level" gear across the board, not that it would even make sense for someone at my (very low) talent level.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Seems like a complete waste of time to me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
stick9

Quote:
For all I know, the product made in China might be superior to what is made elsewhere.

This is a hockey forum, and I do not wish the thread to turn political, i.e, off topic, but it is for political reasons that I do not wish to do business with or financially support either China or any firms that are doing business there.

Sadly, much of what I've purchased so far was made there, but it really seems unavoidable unless looking at the highest end stuff.

It is also one of the main reasons I purchased Graf skates, but I cannot afford to buy "pro-level" gear across the board, not that it would even make sense for someone at my (very low) talent level.
Your money, your call.

Funny you choose Graf. Graf Canada has a history of poor quality and less than stellar customer service.

Old
02-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Santana View Post
My Bauer shin pads, helmet, Bauer stick and Sher-Wood stick are all made in Canada, as are my jerseys, socks. my elbow pads are made in Sweden.

all my stuff is older so it was before they moved production to china.

If you buy Pro Stock stuff, most of it is made in Canada

Currently looking for gloves made in Canada, I think the Graf gloves are made in Canada. But i heard Graf gloves are kinda crappy
try to find a pair of SANDE's, ive had mine for 2 years, not worn much but there great and were made in Canada!

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:57 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Your money, your call.

Funny you choose Graf. Graf Canada has a history of poor quality and less than stellar customer service.
i've heard the same as well from some people i know who used to wear graf. good skates, terrible to non-existent customer service and the quality is hit or miss.

all bauer and ccm(maybe reebok now as well) skates are now made in china, unless you go custom. not sure about easton.
also, i believe all bauer equipment is made in china as well, but not sure about their sticks. so looks like you'll need to avoid bauer, or look for their older equipment...then again, you shouldn't really use that either since they now support the chinese economy by having their stuff made there...

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

If a product made in China is of poor quality, dont blame China, blame the company and their quality control. If you want all of your stuff made locally, that's absolutely commendable for supporting local business, but also be prepared to pay that much more.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
BaconStrips

Just buy stuff used. It is environmentally friendly AND you won't be directly supporting any company - you don't need to worry where any of it is made. It is also cheaper and you do not need to pay tax.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Johan Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socastee09 View Post
try to find a pair of SANDE's, ive had mine for 2 years, not worn much but there great and were made in Canada!
Sande moved their operations to overseas now, the quality I think is still pretty good, would you be looking to sell your Sande gloves?

My skates are made in China and I think their quality is very good. I think some people try to avoid buying stuff from asia due to the sweatshop/child labor and other issues that might be happening.

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
trisgale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Santana View Post
Sande moved their operations to overseas now, the quality I think is still pretty good, would you be looking to sell your Sande gloves?

My skates are made in China and I think their quality is very good. I think some people try to avoid buying stuff from asia due to the sweatshop/child labor and other issues that might be happening.
Thats true, and alot of chinese manufacturers have no business ethics, they pretty much counterfeit every product made. For example, google "counterfeit golf clubs" and you'll see what I mean or google, "melamine in baby milk."

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisgale View Post
Thats true, and alot of chinese manufacturers have no business ethics, they pretty much counterfeit every product made. For example, google "counterfeit golf clubs" and you'll see what I mean or google, "melamine in baby milk."
LOL what do you know? it's true that there have been many cases of counterfeits and contaminants, but does that qualify 'alot of chinese manufacturers'? Its alrite, its easy to read a few news stories and assume that the Chinese manufacturing industry is mostly bogus...you're not alone at least

Think about it...you're buying HOCKEY PRODUCTS (it's not a big market where counterfeiters can go unnoticed, trust me) designed and manufactured to North American comapny policies and standards. It doesn't matter WHERE it's manufactured.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
trisgale

I'm commenting on what I quoted, some don't wish to buy products from china ....other issues that might be happening China.

because of the ethics or lack of in China re: business practices.

Personally I buy China products all the time, your right, if they build it to the specs the product made in China is very good.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Warrior Goalie sticks are made in Finland. Most high end goalie stuff is made in Canada/USA.

Hockey pucks made in Slovakia and Czech Republic.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Badger36

Quote:
I try to avoid buying stuff that was made in China whenever possible. For me, its for political as well as an economic reasons.
Ive noticed that quite a lot of the more well known name brands make their stuff in Canada, which is nice to see.
The chaper stuff is typically made in places like China simply because the low manufacturing costs allow them to sell the product at a lower pricepoint, but as long as you at least buy midrange hockey stuff you should be able to find stuff thats made in North America or at least Europe.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Warrior Goalie sticks are made in Finland. Most high end goalie stuff is made in Canada/USA.

Hockey pucks made in Slovakia and Czech Republic.
Canada makes pucks as does China. My favorite pucks are the General Tire pucks made in Canada. They seem to have a harder material with some plastic maybe and they last forever and freeze harder. You can recognize them as they often get a dent in the sides when they hit the post which makes a slight lip on the edge of the puck.

Experienced players have seen them I am sure and know what I am talking about. They make a very high pitched PING when you nail the post with it. regular rubber pucks make a clunkier sound with a ping.

InGlas Co made some that were a plastic rubber blend but they were brittle and pieces broke off easily. The NHL used to use those and I am not sure if they use the true vulcanized rubber pucks again that stay in one piece better now or not made by InGlas Co as well.

Well anyway I am a puck nerd, I have a decent collection and started collecting them in the 1980s.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
I try to avoid buying stuff that was made in China whenever possible. For me, its for political as well as an economic reasons.
Ive noticed that quite a lot of the more well known name brands make their stuff in Canada, which is nice to see.
The chaper stuff is typically made in places like China simply because the low manufacturing costs allow them to sell the product at a lower pricepoint, but as long as you at least buy midrange hockey stuff you should be able to find stuff thats made in North America or at least Europe.
Eagle is shifting more of their production overseas and Bauer is no longer going to make retail skates in Canada, all in China. Whether it's China or Mexico, everyone here is missing the point. The guys in charge are Americans or Canadians who are very well versed on hockey and hockey products, and constantly fly between China and the US/Canada. Basically, they're North Americans overseeing 99% of what happens in China, Mexico or wherever. I'm not going to say I favor outsourcing or like all things made in China, I disfavor both of those things, but it's done for a reason. There are far fewer factories and much less manufacturing capacity in US and Canada. If every stick maker was in N.A., every top end stick would be another $100 more expensive.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
I guess you are going to miss out on a lot in life as virtually every firm(company) does business in China.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
LOL what do you know? it's true that there have been many cases of counterfeits and contaminants, but does that qualify 'alot of chinese manufacturers'? Its alrite, its easy to read a few news stories and assume that the Chinese manufacturing industry is mostly bogus...you're not alone at least

Think about it...you're buying HOCKEY PRODUCTS (it's not a big market where counterfeiters can go unnoticed, trust me) designed and manufactured to North American comapny policies and standards. It doesn't matter WHERE it's manufactured.
Counterfeiting is rampant overseas. I have heard (first hand knowledge) of instances where the counterfeit product is made in the same factory as the original.

As for child labor and sweat shops. It's a different culture. If the kids weren't working at a factory they'd be working on a farm or in a local market. They aren't forced to work, they want to work. You sweat your tail off in even the most modern facilities over there so almost every factory could be called a sweat shop.

Old
02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
Just buy stuff used. It is environmentally friendly AND you won't be directly supporting any company - you don't need to worry where any of it is made. It is also cheaper and you do not need to pay tax.
Exactly. There is more than enough good used equipment just sitting there waiting for someone to buy it.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote