HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Poll: The Habs' goaltending - what would you do?

Old
02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Poll: The Habs' goaltending - what would you do?

It's 43% vs 43% for Keep both/trade Price ... trade Halak gets the rst of the votes.

Mods can merge this after sportscenter/that's hockey plz.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

voted keep both

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
CrazyShea

vCash: 500
Those 43% of people voting to trade Price would do the most *****ing when he thrives somewhere else. I'm open to dealing anyone if the package is right no one is untouchable but I just don't see Price fetching us now what he should be fetching us.

I voted keep both

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Interesting that even the "keep both" option is qualified with "and make a move in the summer".

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Those 43% of people voting to trade Price would do the most *****ing when he thrives somewhere else. I'm open to dealing anyone if the package is right no one is untouchable but I just don't see Price fetching us now what he should be fetching us.

I voted keep both
They're all fans of other teams who hope they can get Price.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Habs83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Bingo, Bango, Bongo!!!!

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Interesting that even the "keep both" option is qualified with "and make a move in the summer".
Apparently the current situation will eventually become untenable. Which is probably true, I just think there's more runway than this summer.

How come there's no "trade both and get Turco" option?

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
FanHabtic

I think the plan of attack is as follows:

1. If you get a great value offer at the deadline then you trade either Price or Halak
3. If you don't then you ride them out till the offseason then trade one at the draft

I think Bob McKenzie correctly assessed the situation in his blog today. The Habs do not need to trade either goaltender by the trade deadline. In fact they are better off not doing that and staying with a competition system that is working. At the draft more teams are likely to address longterm decision which a trade for Price/Halak will be.

As for value trades. We can't take any bad contracts for under-performing players like Hartnell / Gagne etc. as we really need to re-sign Plekanec. We have enough bad salary on the team and need to keep ourselves solvent for player movement.

Its funny how many teams feel they can get Price/halak for a song and a dance. Just clueless as to their true value.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:47 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
NO kidding. Reading all the terrible proposals for Price and being shocked that we actually value goaltending is become both redundant and annoying. Certain fan bases have no respect for goaltending at all and believe goaltenders have zero value. If that was the case then we wouldn't trade a goaltender at all... ever. lol

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Kafka

They NEED to keep both.

We don't know what salary both Price and Halak expect, but we need both next season. The hard task is to determine the lenght of the contracts given to those guys. None of them have shown they should be given long term contracts while both could end up being UFAs in 2 years for Halak, and 5 years for Price.

After he won the Cup, Cam Ward was awarded at 23 years old a 8M$ for three years contract. At 21 years old, Price has not done much to get such a contract, but I would still sign him for 3 years for around 6M$. If he performs, giving him dollars in an extension could be done, just like Rutherford did for Ward.

Now, Halak's case is more tricky. He did prove more stability than Price over the past seasons, and his currently the no.1 goaltender, but that's only because he has more experience than Price... and his therefore playing better hockey. He could get a one year contract with the team, and would be allowed for arbitration next season (or maybe even this year?) or could be signed for two years and then become a UFA. Still, if he could be inked for around 8M$ a year, that would give us two goaltenders with a cap hit of 4.6M$.

Most teams in the NHL pay more than that on one goaltender. I am pretty sure we could ink both for 2-3 years for 6M$ or less.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
koivu2

I think both will be #1 goalies. Offer both up for trade at the draft and take the best offer!!

koivu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

TRADE BOTH

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
CPrice

Keep both

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:17 AM
peachy

this board needs something else to talk about

for the love of god can we stop with this price halak drama?

peachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:56 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
They NEED to keep both.

We don't know what salary both Price and Halak expect, but we need both next season. The hard task is to determine the lenght of the contracts given to those guys. None of them have shown they should be given long term contracts while both could end up being UFAs in 2 years for Halak, and 5 years for Price.

After he won the Cup, Cam Ward was awarded at 23 years old a 8M$ for three years contract. At 21 years old, Price has not done much to get such a contract, but I would still sign him for 3 years for around 6M$. If he performs, giving him dollars in an extension could be done, just like Rutherford did for Ward.

Now, Halak's case is more tricky. He did prove more stability than Price over the past seasons, and his currently the no.1 goaltender, but that's only because he has more experience than Price... and his therefore playing better hockey. He could get a one year contract with the team, and would be allowed for arbitration next season (or maybe even this year?) or could be signed for two years and then become a UFA. Still, if he could be inked for around 8M$ a year, that would give us two goaltenders with a cap hit of 4.6M$.

Most teams in the NHL pay more than that on one goaltender. I am pretty sure we could ink both for 2-3 years for 6M$ or less.

I know what you meant but it was still funny.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM
gusfring

Without knowing what offers are out there, it is impossible to tell.

If all we're being offered are mid-prospects and draft picks, then forget it.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote