HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring in Frolov as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 500
Bring in Frolov as a free agent

So, with our problems with secondary scoring, what would you guys think about bringing in Frolov if the price was right? I am intrigued by him and think that he would flourish in NY with the style of play that Torts has brought.

Opinions?

Old
02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
jniklast

If the price is right, sure! But the price is hardly ever right when Sather signs an UFA.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

All I can say on that matter is people have questioned his attitude and work ethic, so I'm not really sure. If you would've asked me a few months ago I would say no doubt but right now I am not sure I want another unmotivated player on this team.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I like Fro. The guy got size, great hands, decent passing skills, a nice shot... He's like an Antropov 2.0

Old
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
So, with our problems with secondary scoring, what would you guys think about bringing in Frolov if the price was right? I am intrigued by him and think that he would flourish in NY with the style of play that Torts has brought.

Opinions?
I wouldn't be opposed to it if the price was right but it probably won't be (as most UFAs get overpaid). He is having a down year, though, so actually, it could end up being a reasonable fit. I've always thought Grachev should be a RW, and a 2nd or 3rd line of Frolov Anisimov Grachev has a nice look to it, on paper.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Nothing short of a superstar player is going to solve our scoring problems. If we can't land Kovalchuk Just save the cap space.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

Opinions?
If a team in the hunt for a playoff spot and hoping to make a deep run in the playoffs is looking to deal one of their pretty good goal scorers, you know something is not right. He was benched a few times this season due to his attitude/work ethic. No thanks. Not to mention he is probably going to want somewhere in the range of $4.0-$5.0 million.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Nothing short of a superstar player is going to solve our scoring problems. If we can't land Kovalchuk Just save the cap space.
what he said.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
I disagree. There are a lot of teams that have balanced scoring without a talent like Kovalchuk. We already have a guy like him in Gaborik. Gaborik is that center piece to build around. If we could have a second line that added some pop, it would change everything. Right now, we have a bunch of grinders trying to be scorers. A guy like Frolov IS a scorer. Let Frolov be the guy on the second line with Gaborik being the man.

I agree that if Kovalchuk is there, you go for it, but I doubt that's going to happen and believe that Frolov is certainly a viable alternative. I've watched him for years with the Kings (I'm in Las Vegas) and I know this guy is a legit scoring threat. He's having a down year this year (13 goals and 24 assists) but he has scored 20 + in all but one year (this year isn't over yet.)

I wonder what the price tag on him will be. That is the key factor for me as I believe he has the skill to really help the team.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

No, because with the price Frolov will command on the open market will prevent us from signing the first line players we desperately need.

Wait a year and chase Semin or any other of the multiple prefferable FAs the following summer.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
I hate when people think a superstar player is the answer to everything. We already have Gaborik, from there, we should build at depth. Frolov is a good sub-superstar player that net a good 30 goals. Look at the LA Kings. They have Anze Kopitar, who has 27 goals on the season, and everybody under that has less than 20 goals. Smyth has 18, Handzus has 15, etc. You don't always need superstar players to be a successful team. You need depth. And the Rangers have 0 of that.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I prefer we go after Patrick Sharp, I think he could be a bit cheaper and be a good second line player for us.

Old
we want cup
We do not Sow

Please don't.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I hate when people think a superstar player is the answer to everything. We already have Gaborik, from there, we should build at depth. Frolov is a good sub-superstar player that net a good 30 goals. Look at the LA Kings. They have Anze Kopitar, who has 27 goals on the season, and everybody under that has less than 20 goals. Smyth has 18, Handzus has 15, etc. You don't always need superstar players to be a successful team. You need depth. And the Rangers have 0 of that.
The rangers have fine depth. Callahan, Dubinsky, (yes even Avery) are fantastic depth players.

What we need is a full top line or another star to take the pressure off Gaborik. Ovechkin and Crosby would be much easier to play without Malkin and Semin.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
No, because with the price Frolov will command on the open market will prevent us from signing the first line players we desperately need.

Wait a year and chase Semin or any other of the multiple prefferable FAs the following summer.

Just curious....what do you think a guy who ends up with 20 goals and 35 or so assists will get on the open market?

I would go as high as 3.8 or so for 3 years. I think he is worth that price tag and what he'd bring to the table would help the team.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I prefer we go after Patrick Sharp, I think he could be a bit cheaper and be a good second line player for us.
Not a bad idea either, NY. I like Sharps game for sure. I just have a feeling that Frolov would fit in with what is going on here, and he'd be a serious threat on the wing.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I wouldn't say Frolov would be a lock to net 30 goals a season. He's done it twice in six seasons and there is no chance he gets to 30 this season either. He should be good for at least 20 goals a season, but Higgins was suppose to be as well. He has work ethic issues and an attitude problem, apparently. He was benched for a few games earlier this season because of it. The Kings are looking to deal him in the middle of their playoff run. Something is not right with this guy. Not to mention he is on pace for one of his worst seasons of his career.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Rangers would have to make a deal for him. Chicago is going to have to move some salary in the off season, so it could be a possibilty, but the Rangers would have to move some salary as well.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Just curious....what do you think a guy who ends up with 20 goals and 35 or so assists will get on the open market?

I would go as high as 3.8 or so for 3 years. I think he is worth that price tag and what he'd bring to the table would help the team.
Thats 55 points, 3.8 seems right when you consider that Antropov got 4 after 59, Kotalik got 3 after 40ish.

Although Havlat and Cammalleri both averaged near a ppg and got only 5 mil, so its a relative deal.

But Frolov seems like the kind of guy Slats would pay too much for.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I wouldn't say Frolov would be a lock to net 30 goals a season. He's done it twice in six seasons and there is no chance he gets to 30 this season either. He should be good for at least 20 goals a season, but Higgins was suppose to be as well. He has work ethic issues and an attitude probably, apparently. He was benched for a few games earlier this season because of it. The Kings are looking to deal him in the middle of their playoff run. Something is not right with this guy. Not to mention he is on pace for one of his worst seasons of his career.
How many times have we heard about attitude problems only to see that a change of scenery is all that was needed? Hell, Vinny L was benched too. It happens a lot. I'm not saying that I know what goes on in the room, UA and he could very well be a cancer, but I think that with the down season, and perhaps discounted price, it's something to keep on one of the slow burners, simmering.

I think the comparison to Higgins is way off as well. Frolov has a way higher set of skills (Offensively) and has a set of hands that is first rate. Higgins, has hands of stone. While I agree that he's no lock for 30 goals, I think he has a great chance of reaching that. Him and Gaborik on either wing during the PP sounds pretty damn nice to me (he had 12 PP goals last year.)

Please keep in mind, I'm not saying that this should be our top priority. I'm just saying that Frolov should be an option if Sather strikes out bringing in a guy like Kovalchuk.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Thats 55 points, 3.8 seems right when you consider that Antropov got 4 after 59, Kotalik got 3 after 40ish.

Although Havlat and Cammalleri both averaged near a ppg and got only 5 mil, so its a relative deal.

yeah, Sather will give him a 4 year $22 million contract lol

Old
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Rangers would have to make a deal for him. Chicago is going to have to move some salary in the off season, so it could be a possibilty, but the Rangers would have to move some salary as well.
Oh my fault I thought he was an UFA after this year, even still we should make a deal for him anyways.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:

I totally agree, Fitz. I'm not saying we should throw the whole bank at him, but in a perfect world, with the price tag right, I think Frolov is a viable option for this team.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho free agency should be used to get the top of the top end talent if it hits it, and for cheap fill in options. its the in between that screws you. those are the guys you should develop from within as cheap alternatives. its guys like Gomez, Drury, Kalinin, Kotalik, Redden, etc. Guys who are middle area guys at their respective positions getting paid WAY more than they should that screw a team over cap wise. Try to stock your 2nd through 4th lines from within, and your bottom 4 defense from within. if you can get your top d-pair and your top line from within too, or at least parts of it, thats a bonus.

Get me Kovalchuk. Get me Marian Hossa. Get me Marian Gaborik. Get me guys of that ilk. Don't get me Frolov or those kinds of guys. they can be had for much cheaper from within the organization.

Old
02-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Camm got 6 mil a season.

Closed Thread