HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Photography

Old
01-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Flyman

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfina View Post
Just to bring the topic back to what the original poster was asking, I shoot professionally but I use pro-sumer level bodies. I have a pair of Canon 40Ds with battery grips and I use a 16-35mm L lens and a 70-200mm non-IS L lens. I have shot for the Phantoms during the previous two seasons and now I am shooting the Flyers since I am currently working for InsideHockey.com. At the Wachovia Center, I shoot in Manual mode: ISO 1600 - Aperture 2.8 - 1/640s. When they are on top of me, most of the light gets blocked, so I have to drop down to 1/400s.

As for the f/5.6 lens, since that is two full stops slower, to achieve the same results using my cameras, you would have to drop to 1/160s. The problem there is that you can't freeze the action. Yes, you can pan with the subject, but you will still have motion blurring of some kind. If shooting available light, you need to be at 1/500s or faster in order to freeze action.

As for white balance, I use lightroom to balance that. The reason is that I am too lazy to use my expo disc to help get my white balance. Also, you will get more of an orange/red tint due to the lights.

The flash will not help you at all and will most likely get you into trouble faster. Especially if you are using more than the built-in flash as this may get the attention of the ushers.

Now, for the monopod, were you planning on standing on the concourse level and shoot? If so, security will put an end to that. If you shoot from your seat, how are you going to use it? It would become more of a nuisance than anything. Just leave it at home. A monopod is used to steady a shot but more importantly, it takes the weight of the camera and lens off of you for the entire game.

My work has been used as a reference a few times on this site and can be seen on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobfina/

I hope this helps.
Bob

P.S. I will be at all of the remaining January Flyers games shooting (except for the game on the 30th - I'll be in Glen Falls watching/shooting the Phantoms). I usually shoot from the concourse level in between sections 124/101 at the Wachovia Center.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the advices, those are very interesting and useful for the amateur photographer I am. I had a look at your Flickr gallerie and I really like your shots, very sharp images, superb solors and light. Really good stuff, congrats!
(I sent you in invitation to be part of my contact. I'd be delighted to see your shots more often )

As for me, and to contribute a bit to the topic, I do photography at an amateur level but recently, I was delighted to get one of my picture taken was I was living in Ireland being chosen to be the cover page of a West Cork touristic brochure. This is the one:

The full set can be seen here for those interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3638316...7619134145176/

Here some other shots I like:

The Lone Girl before the Sea (Kinsale - Ireland)

Tower overviewing the Old Head of Kinsale - Ireland

Stone wall in Gally Head - Clonakilty - Ireland

Close to Kylemore Abbey - Connemara - Ireland

All These shots are just raw shots, meaning I haven't photoshoped them, even if some should deserve a slight treatment, just to enhance stuff like contrast, white balance, colors and saturation.

As for the gear, I use a Nikon D90, with the original lense kit 18-105 VR. I also have two other lenses, from my previous Nikon F55, a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm. I have to say the D90 is a weapon for serious amateurs. Very handy, doing very good pictures, even in auto mode, excellent quality. I love it!

Keep exposing

Flyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman View Post

Some great pics in this thread, but I have to say that's my favorite (It could just be that right now I have a healthy mix of the Tossers, Dropkick, Flogging Molly, Pogues, and Dubliners on my morning playlist). Camden Yards is 2nd.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Flyman

Nice choice Chris
I have to say I really like it too... The girl is one of my close friends and she really loves this picture. I Think I have to print and frame it to offer it to her one day lol

Old
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
kungpao

Send a message via MSN to kungpao
The game was great! The seats weren't suited for good shots but I took loads of pictures anyway! I'm not complaining in the least cause they're the best seats I've ever had and I was totally thankful for them!! Here are a selection that I've fixed/cropped.

Click Here

I happen to like this one

kungpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
kungpao

Sorry, I didn't realize the bucket made these small. These should be bigger.

kungpao a photo journal

Old
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Flyman, the one picked for the cover is absolutely beautiful!

Bob, I love this one..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobfina/4297560700/

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Flyman

Thanks!! I really love it too. The whole set is really great, I was delighted to see the result once at home. Who said it was always raining in Ireland? (well....okay....it rains A LOT up there lol As we used to say, Ireland would be a lovely country if only we could roof it )

Old
01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize the bucket made these small. These should be bigger.

kungpao a photo journal
Great shots! I was waiting for you to upload to Flickr and hadn't checked this thread. You had excellent seats. I guess they're okay with people bringing DSLR's to the arena, eh? We were having problems at OHL games with security giving people a hard time, not only with DSLR's but point and shoots.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Great shots! I was waiting for you to upload to Flickr and hadn't checked this thread. You had excellent seats. I guess they're okay with people bringing DSLR's to the arena, eh? We were having problems at OHL games with security giving people a hard time, not only with DSLR's but point and shoots.
I've never had an issue bringing either camera to the Wach. I've heard in Toronto, you can't bring in a DSLR without buying a press pass!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
kungpao

Thanks Woof, Sorry bout the flickr, I only have a free account and have gone over As for the DSLR thing... I probably could have brought the monopod if I wanted to. They didn't even check through my wife's new "mom" purse. They were just hurrying everyone in it felt like. (not knocking the purse, just saying it's large enough to fit diapers and wipes and such... besides, it's a coach I know enough to knock it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Old
01-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Tommy D

Nice thread.

I just have consumer grade glass but love taking photos of outdoor flyer's... so to speak.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEFLI 165sm.jpg‎ (72.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Tommy D: 01-26-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
viventi

I took these (and a lot more) at the last game I went to.

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
bobfina

Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
I took these (and a lot more) at the last game I went to.
Very nice shots and great exposure. The faces look great. For the Simon Gagne pic, do you see how the boards in the background aren't level (horizontal). If you can, rotate the image so that is level. That way he doesn't look like he is skating uphill. It's the subtle details that make good photos great.

Your shot

My alteration

Yes, I will delete your image as soon as you say you saw this. I don't like having other peoples work copied out there. I know I wouldn't like it so why I should I do it to others. Sorry if this bothers you. I didn't mean to if I did.

As for cameras, I think it was last Thursday's game, there was a fan sitting a few rows down from me (row 15ish in section 101) who had the 100-400 f4-5.6 L lens. The security guard asked me if I know and/or worked with him. I said no. She was questioning the size of his lens when compared to mine. She noticed that his was larger (I know, it's genetics - lol). So, she called over her boss and he looked at it and said it was fine. Now as a photographer, I know that he is shooting 1 to 2 stops slower than me, so at best, he is shooting at 1/320 second at 400mm. So the pics aren't going to be the best so I say let him use it. Now in this case, it is a tan/off-white L series professional lens so I think he shouldn't be allowed to use it. Now, these tan lenses are notoriously discriminated against because of their color. You can have the equivalent Nikor/Tamron/Sigma/etc lens in black and the only thing that the ushers go by is the size of it and usually they allow them in. That's the problem, it's not the size of the lens, but in Canon's case, you need to look for the red ring at the end of the lens. So in short (too late) it's a crap shoot when you bring in your camera. I've had security on Saturday see my 70-200 and pulled me to the side to see my credentials. So, as I said, it's a crap shoot. It all depends on who sees your camera and who really cares about doing their job.

Flyman, I love the Ireland pics. I need to get over there one of these years. I really need to visit Sligo because that is where my grandmother was from.

bobfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

As for cameras, I think it was last Thursday's game, there was a fan sitting a few rows down from me (row 15ish in section 101) who had the 100-400 f4-5.6 L lens. The security guard asked me if I know and/or worked with him. I said no. She was questioning the size of his lens when compared to mine. She noticed that his was larger (I know, it's genetics - lol). So, she called over her boss and he looked at it and said it was fine. Now as a photographer, I know that he is shooting 1 to 2 stops slower than me, so at best, he is shooting at 1/320 second at 400mm. So the pics aren't going to be the best so I say let him use it. Now in this case, it is a tan/off-white L series professional lens so I think he shouldn't be allowed to use it. Now, these tan lenses are notoriously discriminated against because of their color. You can have the equivalent Nikor/Tamron/Sigma/etc lens in black and the only thing that the ushers go by is the size of it and usually they allow them in. That's the problem, it's not the size of the lens, but in Canon's case, you need to look for the red ring at the end of the lens. So in short (too late) it's a crap shoot when you bring in your camera. I've had security on Saturday see my 70-200 and pulled me to the side to see my credentials. So, as I said, it's a crap shoot. It all depends on who sees your camera and who really cares about doing their job.
My sister has a Sigma 125-500 and it's black. It's so inconspicuous compared to the L-series Canon lenses which are all tan. I wish they were all black because tan = $$$$ and I know that my friend who has a few L-series' worries about going out by herself because anyone who knows about photography would know she had expensive lenses.

Old
01-29-2010, 12:11 AM
viventi

It didnt bother me at all! I'm always open to critiques. Honestly, I didnt even edit the photos. I'll have to check through them to see if more are like that.

I have a REALLY bad right shoulder from a car accident so its difficult for me to hold my camera steady when taking vertical shots. Especially because my lens is quite heavy. Thanks for fixing it though!

Quote:
Very nice shots and great exposure. The faces look great. For the Simon Gagne pic, do you see how the boards in the background aren't level (horizontal). If you can, rotate the image so that is level. That way he doesn't look like he is skating uphill. It's the subtle details that make good photos great.

Your shot

My alteration

Yes, I will delete your image as soon as you say you saw this. I don't like having other peoples work copied out there. I know I wouldn't like it so why I should I do it to others. Sorry if this bothers you. I didn't mean to if I did.

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
bobfina

Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
It didnt bother me at all! I'm always open to critiques. Honestly, I didnt even edit the photos. I'll have to check through them to see if more are like that.

I have a REALLY bad right shoulder from a car accident so its difficult for me to hold my camera steady when taking vertical shots. Especially because my lens is quite heavy. Thanks for fixing it though!
No problem. There are times when you will hold the camera perfectly, but it's the perspective of the boards which slope and converge. So it depends on how much it is and where it is, if I straighten the image by the dasher (horizontally) or if I use the edges of the glass, blue/red lines on the boards, and/or the side goal posts (vertically). As for keeping the camera level, there are times I'm not even close. lol.

Another tip, try to keep your image size to no more than 600 pixels on the long side. For me, I have a Canon 40D which has a ratio of 2:3, so I keep with it when resizing my images. For me, the final image size would be 400x600 pixels. I do this because if someone takes it and prints it, I'm pretty sure someone has, the print will only be 100 dpi. You need over 200 dpi, preferably 300 dpi, to have a clean, non-pixelated print. Anything over 600 pixels in length, you should highly consider putting a watermark on them. Oh, and never, ever give away the actual digital image file. With the digital age, that image can be copied and sent to 100 people in minutes. Never let go of your work.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing some more of it.

bobfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
kungpao

[QUOTE=viventi;23435699]I took these (and a lot more) at the last game I went to.

Neat pic. It's funny how short his stick looks.

Old
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman View Post

Would this be the Cliffs of Moher?

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Ri hards

I was downtown last night taking some pictures of the Olympics...stuff in Vancouver. I'll post a few of the pictures a little later...might not be until tomorrow.

Like an idiot, it didn't occur to me to bring my tripod. I tell ya...night shooting with no tripod....

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
I was downtown last night taking some pictures of the Olympics...stuff in Vancouver. I'll post a few of the pictures a little later...might not be until tomorrow.

Like an idiot, it didn't occur to me to bring my tripod. I tell ya...night shooting with no tripod....
Maybe you can pass the blur off as your "Artistic interpretation."

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Maybe you can pass the blur off as your "Artistic interpretation."
I ended up shooting off of benches, logs and my camera bag. I hope they turn out...a lot of them looked good on the display but a lot of crappy pictures look good on a 2.5" screen.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
I ended up shooting off of benches, logs and my camera bag. I hope they turn out...a lot of them looked good on the display but a lot of crappy pictures look good on a 2.5" screen.
It's so disappointing when you look at the little screen and think it's crisp, only to go home and see bluuuuuuur.