HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Mide-Season Prospect Rankings [#6]

View Poll Results: #6 Red Wings Prospect
(F) Joakim Andersson 1 2.94%
(F) Willie Coetzee 1 2.94%
(F) Cory Emmerton 0 0%
(F) Landon Ferraro 17 50.00%
(F) Andrej Nestrasil 0 0%
(F) Mattias Ritola 2 5.88%
(D) Adam Almqvist 1 2.94%
(D) Brian Lashoff 1 2.94%
(G) Daniel Larsson 5 14.71%
(G) Thomas McCollum 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
jacK

vCash: 500
Red Wings Mide-Season Prospect Rankings [#6]

RWC's updated rankings: link
r0bert8841's prospect tracker: link
previous polls: [#1] [#2] [#3] [#4] [#5]
back to the runaway polls as more than half hopped on Gus' bus.
no need to be coy, boys; give us your #6, tell me who you want added for the next poll.
added for round 6, Willie Coetzee.

Results:
#1 - (F) Tomas Tatar - 45.45%
#2 - (D) Jakub Kindl - 48.08%
#3 - (D) Brendan Smith - 47.06%
#4 - (F) Jan Mursak - 35.14%
#5 - (F) Gustav Nyquist - 54.05%

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Even though it's in a different order, my top-5 is the same sum of names as the polls. So it's a fresh start! I'm going with McCollum. He's struggling, but he's young and has a lot of promise. Could be ready to step in for Howard, after Jimmy reaches UFA status and the Wings can no longer afford him

1. Tatar
2. Mursak
3. Nyquist
4. Smith
5. Kindl
6. McCollum

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I went with Andersson. Ferraro, injury or not, has been disappointing. McCollum seems to have major stumbles every step of the way.

Andersson? Seems like a safe bet to be a good solid depth guy.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Even though it's in a different order, my top-5 is the same sum of names as the polls. So it's a fresh start! I'm going with McCollum. He's struggling, but he's young and has a lot of promise.
If you're going to vote for a goalie, then why not Larsson? He had a great first year. He's struggling this year, but still has better numbers than McCollum. I know many want to tout his youth and size for reasons as to why McCollum should ahead of Larsson but in my opinion that's not enough. I feel like Larsson is more proven.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Went with Ferraro. Love his upside.

Add Kolosov.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Also went with Ferraro again.

Add Nicastro.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
If you're going to vote for a goalie, then why not Larsson? He had a great first year. He's struggling this year, but still has better numbers than McCollum. I know many want to tout his youth and size for reasons as to why McCollum should ahead of Larsson but in my opinion that's not enough. I feel like Larsson is more proven.
I think McCollum is the more fundamentally-sound netminder, which will make a bigger difference in the NHL than in the AHL. In that sense, I think he projects as a better goalie than Larsson.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Larsson, if McCollum hadn't been so brutal all season it would be him.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
heyfolks

McCollum. I agree with Jaster's statement. Further, the reports on this guy are, for his position, better than most (if not all) above him in the rankings. He has a long road to go and I wish he had taken the college route, but this kid is top shelf goalie pedigree.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:51 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Been voting for Ferraro since poll #1. So this time I'm voting for Coetzee.

I love the underdogs.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Ferraro by a mile.

Again, add Kolosov.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Ferraro

add Nicastro..

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

ive been votin 4 Ferraro since round 3

add kolosov

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Harnessed in Slums

1. Smith
2. Mursak
3. Tatar
4. Kindl - Nyquist
5. Ferraro
6. Lashoff

Yep, I went defensive defensemen. Risky move as defensive defensemen being developed by the Detroit Red Wings and actually making the roster is about as elusive and rare as a Yeti sighting.

Nick Lidstrom ain't getting any younger (but I hope the Red Wings have DNA samples are far along in a nascent human cloning project) and the Wings will need a shutdown defenseman in the near future. And wouldn't it be Red Wings-like to get him as a FA who wasn't drafted at all?

Add - Sergei Kolosov

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:51 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Ferraro is having a poor season in junior, and McCollum is having a poor season as a 19/20 year old pro in the AHL. And yet somehow Ferraro is the consensus better prospect? Nestrasil is showing better development than Ferraro, so if anyone from this past draft should be placed over McCollum it's him.

McCollum.....again....

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:05 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Ferraro, something about the kid's drive and his passion to be better then his father would have to motivate him to develop into a strong player.

Add: Nicastro

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Ferraro is having a poor season in junior, and McCollum is having a poor season as a 19/20 year old pro in the AHL. And yet somehow Ferraro is the consensus better prospect? Nestrasil is showing better development than Ferraro, so if anyone from this past draft should be placed over McCollum it's him.

McCollum.....again....
I voted for Ferraro.

There's definitely some truth to your comment. However, Ferraro has the excuse of injuries to at least partially explain his season. Ferraro's season also isn't nearly as disappointing as McCollum's has been. I mean, everyone expected better numbers out of Ferraro, but he is putting up some points at least. McCollum, OTOH, has bombed in the AHL and ECHL. He's just not ready for the pro game yet.

That said, we're getting to a point now where McCollum belongs in the discussion. I think McCollum's poor pro debut means RWC has him ranked way too high. But McCollum is still a big, technically sound goaltender who is young and has potential. I haven't yet decided when I'll start voting for McCollum, but it will be soon. It's tough to peg where he should go because his play has been so terrible, but he's got to be somewhere in or around the top 10.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
1. Smith
2. Mursak
3. Tatar
4. Kindl - Nyquist
5. Ferraro
6. Lashoff

Yep, I went defensive defensemen. Risky move as defensive defensemen being developed by the Detroit Red Wings and actually making the roster is about as elusive and rare as a Yeti sighting.

Nick Lidstrom ain't getting any younger (but I hope the Red Wings have DNA samples are far along in a nascent human cloning project) and the Wings will need a shutdown defenseman in the near future. And wouldn't it be Red Wings-like to get him as a FA who wasn't drafted at all?

Add - Sergei Kolosov
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen
Franzen2-Helm-Zetterberg2
Helm2-Datsyuk2-Zetterberg3
Franzen3-Datsyuk3-Helm3

Lidstrom1-Lidstrom2
Lidstrom3-Lidstrom4
Lidstrom5-Lidstrom6

Hasek1
Hasek2
^circa 2002

Sounds like a team to me

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
I'm starting to think the Wings should have sent McCollum back to the OHL for another season..

Old
02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Went with Ferraro, but I like what I saw from Ritola and the two goalies are excellent prospects.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:

McCollum.....again....
Mursak had a ****** year last year, we could argue many of our prospects were superior last year then he was in development purposes. Does that same arguement apply a year later?

You cant base it all SIMPLY on one year..

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
I'm starting to think the Wings should have sent McCollum back to the OHL for another season..
There's really no doubt about it. McCollum would have been much better off playing an over-age year in the OHL. He would have played a lot more which could have helped his development, and it would have bought another year's time before we ultimately have to make a decision on him.

However, it is one of those hindsight situations. Going into this season there really wasn't any reason to believe that McCollum would do this poorly.

The end result of keeping McCollum in the AHL this season is that next year becomes almost a make-or-break year for him. It puts a lot of pressure on the kid, because another poor season would seriously harm his chances of playing in Detroit some day.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Mursak had a ****** year last year, we could argue many of our prospects were superior last year then he was in development purposes. Does that same arguement apply a year later?

You cant base it all SIMPLY on one year..
Right, but McCollum had a better year than Ferraro LAST year, so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I voted for Ferraro.

There's definitely some truth to your comment. However, Ferraro has the excuse of injuries to at least partially explain his season. Ferraro's season also isn't nearly as disappointing as McCollum's has been. I mean, everyone expected better numbers out of Ferraro, but he is putting up some points at least. McCollum, OTOH, has bombed in the AHL and ECHL. He's just not ready for the pro game yet.

That said, we're getting to a point now where McCollum belongs in the discussion. I think McCollum's poor pro debut means RWC has him ranked way too high. But McCollum is still a big, technically sound goaltender who is young and has potential. I haven't yet decided when I'll start voting for McCollum, but it will be soon. It's tough to peg where he should go because his play has been so terrible, but he's got to be somewhere in or around the top 10.
But if McCollum were still in the OHL he would almost certainly be putting up numbers that look much better than Ferraro's. And if Ferraro were in the AHL this year he'd look at least as bad as McCollum has.

Ferraro hasn't been a point-per-game player in the OHL yet. That's bad for a 19 year old. McGrath put up 87 points in 68 games the year after he was drafted, and he hasn't scored worth a lick in the AHL.

I guess I could see people getting down on McCollum and moving guys ahead of him, but I don't see why Ferraro is so highly rated by so many here. He has twice as many question marks as McCollum does at this point and doesn't even have the kind of OHL success to fall back on that McCollum does.

Old
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Quote:
Right, but McCollum had a better year than Ferraro LAST year, so....

But if McCollum were still in the OHL he would almost certainly be putting up numbers that look much better than Ferraro's. And if Ferraro were in the AHL this year he'd look at least as bad as McCollum has.

Ferraro hasn't been a point-per-game player in the OHL yet. That's bad for a 19 year old. McGrath put up 87 points in 68 games the year after he was drafted, and he hasn't scored worth a lick in the AHL.

I guess I could see people getting down on McCollum and moving guys ahead of him, but I don't see why Ferraro is so highly rated by so many here. He has twice as many question marks as McCollum does at this point and doesn't even have the kind of OHL success to fall back on that McCollum does.
ferraro is still just 18 and he's playing in the WHL which is known to be a tougher league to score in than the OHL..

I'd also say that McGrath played on a much better team.. He played with guys like mike Richards, David Clarkson, Jakub Kindl, Boris Valabik, Matt Lashoff and Justin Azevedo.. Ferraro has Coetzee and Nugent-Hopkins, who I know is an amazing prospect, but he's only 16..

Old
02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
ferraro is still just 18 and he's playing in the WHL which is known to be a tougher league to score in than the OHL..

I'd also say that McGrath played on a much better team.. He played with guys like mike Richards, David Clarkson, Jakub Kindl, Boris Valabik, Matt Lashoff and Justin Azevedo.. Ferraro has Coetzee and Nugent-Hopkins, who I know is an amazing prospect, but he's only 16..
Ok, so those are reasons why we shouldn't expect as much from Ferraro - I still don't see what he has done to show he either has a higher NHL upside or has a better chance of making the NHL than McCollum does.

If upside and NHL probability aren't the biggest factors in rating prospects, what is?