HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Omaha Official home to AHL Flames

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2005, 11:00 PM
DTO Luv

vCash: 500
Omaha Official home to AHL Flames

This is from the Omaha World Herald today.
http://omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1313390

Lots of people are very exited about Omaha getting the AHL Flames. I am kind of new to hockey, but what are the chances of some NHL players coming down to the AHL level. Also, has there been any increased exposure to AHL teams since the lockout?

Old
01-19-2005, 11:02 PM
sabrefan27

Another step in the right direction for the Amerks to finally get out of the Western Conference.

Old
01-19-2005, 11:22 PM
DTO Luv

I'm guessing Amercks are Americans, but what does tha have to do with Omaha's team.

Old
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
sabrefan27

Omaha would be in the Western Conference, and with Worcester leaving it opens up the AHL for realignment. And Rochester plays teams in Utah, Manitoba, Edmonton but yet we haven't seen a New England team in years. So this'll hopefully promp the AHL to actually put us, and Syracuse, in a conference and division that actually makes sense.

Old
01-19-2005, 11:29 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
But is it a done deal? I've seen almost identical articles about once a week since... November?

Old
01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Ken King and Darryl Sutter went down to Omaha to make the deal official yes.

Old
01-20-2005, 12:39 AM
DTO Luv

It's a done deal. They are looking for an ownership group now. The one thing that's disappointing about this is that the new Des Moines Stars team 125 miles away will play in the new 15,585 seat (for hockey) Wells Fargo Arena and the Flames will be playing in the old Civic, seats around 9,000, instead of the 14,700 (hockey) seat Qwest Center down the street where the UNO Mavericks play. The Qwest Center will actually seat 17,900 after an expansion later this year. I read another thread on here about some doubting Omaha as a viable hockey maket, but trust me it is. We have the Mavericks and the Lancers who are co-owned by Mike Eruzione. The Lancers might meet there demise with the coming of the AHL team and a questionable move across state lines into Iowa.

Since hearing about the Flames I've started to get an interest in all this hockey stuff.

Old
01-20-2005, 01:00 AM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv
The one thing that's disappointing about this is that the new Des Moines Stars team 125 miles away will play in the new 15,585 seat (for hockey) Wells Fargo Arena and the Flames will be playing in the old Civic, seats around 9,000, instead of the 14,700 (hockey) seat Qwest Center down the street where the UNO Mavericks play. The Qwest Center will actually seat 17,900 after an expansion later this year.
And I remember someone also saying this way back in November. Why they choose to put the team in a smaller and older arena, I don't know. I hope they have a good reason. If it's only because they are too lazy to make home schedules for 2 teams in the same arena... I'll be pissed.

This will be a great opportunity to finally get all the Flames prospects together, especially the Euros. That is, if we can get them to come over to North America. It will be real interesting to see how the Flames AHL affiliate will fare against other team's prospects.

Old
01-20-2005, 02:08 AM
DTO Luv

The reasons they gave for being in the old arena were it was cheaper and since it had no other tenants that they could make their own schedule.

Closed Thread