HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators @ New York Rangers - Postgame Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2010, 10:53 PM
  #76
NCRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The thing is we aren't that far away from being a good team. The reality is even if by some miracle they make the playoffs you and I know they aren't winning close to 16 games. So what's the point of another 1st or 2nd round exit when you could make moves to better position the team for the future? Sure, our 1st rounder could be a bust...but the fact of the matter is the #4 overall pick is a lot more of a sure thing than the #14 overall. And if we can sell some assets for a few extra picks to increase our chances of getting it right even better.
Yeah. I see your point, and it's a very legitimate point. However, one could make the argument that they really weren't that far away from being a good team during the Dark Ages. One fix here. One fix there. Oops, Richter's hurt. Bure's knee blew up. Fleury attacked the shark. Kamensky, maybe he's not that good. Malakhov oh great! oh crap, he's hurt, out half a season. Holik! Oh, yeah, he's really a third liner being paid as a superstar.

Now, even if this team somehow developed everyone in their system, drafted perfectly, and finished with 112 points...they still have to get past Pittsburgh and Washington, and that's going to be difficult as the #3 seed or the #8 seed.

Either way, we both know that Sather needs to go.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
  #77
Rangerfans
Registered User
 
Rangerfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Yeah, let's play Johnson! We're 4 points out of a playoff spot and you want to tank.

Jackasses.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
  #78
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
We're 4 points out of a playoff spot
I'm stunned, and pleasantly surprised, every time I hear something like this.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:57 PM
  #79
FOXHOUND*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Yeah, let's play Johnson! We're 4 points out of a playoff spot and you want to tank.

Jackasses.
4 points out of an offseason were we see 4 more games and continue our "storied" history of mediocrity

jackasses like you keep james dolan's pocket fat

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
  #80
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Yeah, let's play Johnson! We're 4 points out of a playoff spot and you want to tank.

Jackasses.
i DONT want to tank. Henrik does not seem to play well in Pittsburgh particularly against Crosby and Malkin. They just own him. This is about giving us a better chance to win. Throwing Pittsburgh a different look might be the way to go. Theres only 3 teams I would do this for. Pittsburgh, Philly, and Montreal (in montreal)...It's about knowing your opposition and how they play against Henrik. Id have him right back in there against the Lightning.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:01 PM
  #81
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Announced: 13,128.

Hey, better than the 5,580 that showed up in Newark tonight...

Seriously, why couldn't they announce the PAID attendance rather than the ACTUAL attendance? I'm sure the Garden would have had the usual 18,200 and the Rock perhaps 15K+.
Because paid attendance is nothing really new at MSG, it's been 18,200 for a long time now. And if I was sitting in the 300s section and they announced paid attendance i'd be like... WTF?

Not sure why a devils poster is here, but I won't pass up the opportunity at taking a semi-friendly jab... a few of us were joking that the Rock had ~1,000 people there hehehe

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
  #82
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Because paid attendance is nothing really new at MSG, it's been 18,200 for a long time now. And if I was sitting in the 300s section and they announced paid attendance i'd be like... WTF?

Not sure why a devils poster is here, but I won't pass up the opportunity at taking a semi-friendly jab... a few of us were joking that the Rock had ~1,000 people there hehehe


I actually came to see what you guys were saying about the Predators...

We have to play them on Friday and I'm terrified.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
  #83
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i DONT want to tank. Henrik does not seem to play well in Pittsburgh particularly against Crosby and Malkin. They just own him. This is about giving us a better chance to win. Throwing Pittsburgh a different look might be the way to go. Theres only 3 teams I would do this for. Pittsburgh, Philly, and Montreal (in montreal)...It's about knowing your opposition and how they play against Henrik. Id have him right back in there against the Lightning.
This.

There are three arenas Henrik does not play well in: Mellon Arena (Pitt), Wachovia Center (Philly), And Bell Center (Montreal).

I think every goalie has a few places they just don't do well in.

Playing Johnson tomorrow would be my choice in giving the team a good chance to win, but you will always be second guessing your decision whether Henrik would've stepped it up even further to play well if Johnson doesn't and that is why it won't happen.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
  #84
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
This.

There are three arenas Henrik does not play well in: Mellon Arena (Pitt), Wachovia Center (Philly), And Bell Center (Montreal).

I think every goalie has a few places they just don't do well in.

Playing Johnson tomorrow would be my choice in giving the team a good chance to win, but you will always be second guessing your decision whether Henrik would've stepped it up even further to play well if Johnson doesn't and that is why it won't happen.
yep, and i would do just the opposite if we were playing NJ..i dont care if Henrik had a bullet hole in his shoulder, i would want him between the pipes when we play Jersey, he just owns them.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
  #85
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Now, even if this team somehow developed everyone in their system, drafted perfectly, and finished with 112 points...they still have to get past Pittsburgh and Washington, and that's going to be difficult as the #3 seed or the #8 seed.

Either way, we both know that Sather needs to go.
Quoted for truth.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
  #86
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,748
vCash: 500
everyone relax....

Some of us have a lot of mixed feelings going on....We want to win, but some think it wont happened this year..so some want to get a good draft pick, get a good player, and have a good future.

In the end we are ALL ranger fans..its just split right now between:

Fans who want to win NOW (which is ALWAYS a chance as long as we make the playoffs, especially with Lundqvist and Gabby)
vs
Fans who want to get a good draft pick, and add to our great prospect pool and be a great team in a few years.

Be fair to all, in the end, we all want a fun, competitive and good team to root for now and future.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
  #87
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
4 points out of an offseason were we see 4 more games and continue our "storied" history of mediocrity

jackasses like you keep james dolan's pocket fat
to be fair if we make the playoffs we still are at the same pt as if we didnt make the playoffs

so with that lets make the freaking playoffs

I am for trading contracts but they can do that and still take back descent players.................basically just make another Kotalik deal but with Rozsival and Brashear...........

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
  #88
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
The Rangers are going to be 6th from the bottom by the end of the night and 4 points out of the 8th spot with 2 more games played. Not looking good right now.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
  #89
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Yeah. I see your point, and it's a very legitimate point. However, one could make the argument that they really weren't that far away from being a good team during the Dark Ages. One fix here. One fix there. Oops, Richter's hurt. Bure's knee blew up. Fleury attacked the shark. Kamensky, maybe he's not that good. Malakhov oh great! oh crap, he's hurt, out half a season. Holik! Oh, yeah, he's really a third liner being paid as a superstar.

Now, even if this team somehow developed everyone in their system, drafted perfectly, and finished with 112 points...they still have to get past Pittsburgh and Washington, and that's going to be difficult as the #3 seed or the #8 seed.

Either way, we both know that Sather needs to go
.
All true. But it's easier to win as the #3 seed...because A) You were the better team during the regular season, and B) You have the home ice advantage.

And Sather does need to go.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:19 PM
  #90
FOXHOUND*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
to be fair if we make the playoffs we still are at the same pt as if we didnt make the playoffs

so with that lets make the freaking playoffs

I am for trading contracts but they can do that and still take back descent players.................basically just make another Kotalik deal but with Rozsival and Brashear...........
???

We are 8 minutes away from being in 25th place

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
  #91
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
???

We are 8 minutes away from being in 25th place
lol. are we there yet?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
  #92
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
???

We are 8 minutes away from being in 25th place
Maybe not... Avs just scored...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
  #93
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Philly wins, they are at 63, montreal is beating Washington 5-2 in the 3rd, if they win, they are at 64, the Rangers are at 59. That is 2 W's out of a playoff spot behind both Philly AND TB. If the Rangers lose anymore ground, I dont see them being able to make up that much ground.
I've been saying it for 2 weeks, with the difficult schedule, the games back and now the wins category its going to be awfully tough for them to pull it off this year. Even if they get hot, there are a lot of teams in it and i just dont think they are going to make it due to the position theyve put themselves in.

Of the 8 legitimate contenders (6th to 13th) for the THREE playoff positions - 5 of them have played less games than the Rangers. The Rangers are now closer to 13th place than they are 8th.

I think these next two games are going to be really telling. If they drop both of them theyll be 26-29-7 with 59 points and 62 games played. If you think 90 points is going to seal a playoff berth, the Rangers will have to rattle off 31 points in 20 games. Thats 1.55 points per game. Thus far this season they've compiled a .98 percentage.

I dont see anything suggesting theyll do that considering the scoring problems, defensive woes and rookie mistakes that plague this team on a nightly basis. If Sather is smart he'll recognize this and sell sell sell. Sometimes its just not your year. I hope this becomes apparent to the Rangers management i really do.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
  #94
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Maybe not... Avs just scored...
If they tie the Rangers move down to 6th in the league from the bottom. If Atlanta wins in OT they move ahead of the Rangers by one point with 2 games in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I've been saying it for 2 weeks, with the difficult schedule, the games back and now the wins category its going to be awfully tough for them to pull it off this year. Even if they get hot, there are a lot of teams in it and i just dont think they are going to make it due to the position theyve put themselves in.

Of the 8 legitimate contenders (6th to 13th) for the THREE playoff positions - 5 of them have played less games than the Rangers. The Rangers are now closer to 13th place than they are 8th.

I think these next two games are going to be really telling. If they drop both of them theyll be 26-29-7 with 59 points and 62 games played. If you think 90 points is going to seal a playoff berth, the Rangers will have to rattle off 31 points in 20 games. Thats 1.55 points per game. Thus far this season they've compiled a .98 percentage.

I dont see anything suggesting theyll do that considering the scoring problems, defensive woes and rookie mistakes that plague this team on a nightly basis. If Sather is smart he'll recognize this and sell sell sell. Sometimes its just not your year. I hope this becomes apparent to the Rangers management i really do.
I totally agree. I love how people are clamoring for this team not to be tankers, yet the numbers show that this team isnt going to make the playoffs. Sorry folks, this team isnt very good and it is better for them to finish really low than 9th or 10th.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:26 PM
  #95
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Rangers have been in the same spot the last two years as well. Needing a big push to make it in to the playoffs. Henrik has had excellent end runs, as have the team for the most part. It was right around now that Rennys Rangers were in the death slump that would get him fired last season.

The team has progressed in some ways:

Gomez out.. Gabby in..

But for the most part the team is eerily the same if not worse off with all the turnover on the roster + the young blueline. I expect they will man up post Olympics and make a run and make it in to the playoffs.

How many times have we said... Lundqvist alone will always keep this team out of the lottery and at least somewhat competitive


They looked tired tonight. They looked really slow vs the Preds players. The season has to be wearing down Gilroy and Del Z at this point.

Hopefully the olympic break will help the young guys recharge the batteries.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:31 PM
  #96
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me why Redden hasn't been waived yet? Help me understand the potential short term/long term benefits of keeping Wade Redden on our NHL roster. I can't figure it out.

Are you telling me that no one in Hartford is capable of committing 3-4 turnovers a game that result in either breakaways or odd man rushes, produce nothing offensively, play soft and not stick up for teammates? He does nothing well. He doesn't even make a good outlet pass anymore and that use to be a staple in his game. Torts treats him like a #6 Dman with the icetime he gives him. So why not let a kid from Hartford play? If the ultimate end game with Redden is that he gets waived at the end of the year then why are we waiting?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
  #97
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Rangers have been in the same spot the last two years as well. Needing a big push to make it in to the playoffs. Henrik has had excellent end runs, as have the team for the most part. It was right around now that Rennys Rangers were in the death slump that would get him fired last season.

The team has progressed in some ways:

Gomez out.. Gabby in..

But for the most part the team is eerily the same if not worse off with all the turnover on the roster + the young blueline. I expect they will man up post Olympics and make a run and make it in to the playoffs.

How many times have we said... Lundqvist alone will always keep this team out of the lottery and at least somewhat competitive


They looked tired tonight. They looked really slow vs the Preds players. The season has to be wearing down Gilroy and Del Z at this point.

Hopefully the olympic break will help the young guys recharge the batteries.
I think its different this year. There are too many teams in it with games in hand, and there are too many rookies on the Rangers in key positions. Throw in the fact that i think the teams above them are just flat out better - I think its safe to say - for me - that they wont make it this year. At this point the best i think they could do is miss the playoffs by a point or two, and IMO that would be borderline devastating to a club that will most certainly waste assets to come up empty.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
  #98
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Rangers have been in the same spot the last two years as well. Needing a big push to make it in to the playoffs. Henrik has had excellent end runs, as have the team for the most part. It was right around now that Rennys Rangers were in the death slump that would get him fired last season.

The team has progressed in some ways:

Gomez out.. Gabby in..

But for the most part the team is eerily the same if not worse off with all the turnover on the roster + the young blueline. I expect they will man up post Olympics and make a run and make it in to the playoffs.

How many times have we said... Lundqvist alone will always keep this team out of the lottery and at least somewhat competitive


They looked tired tonight. They looked really slow vs the Preds players. The season has to be wearing down Gilroy and Del Z at this point.

Hopefully the olympic break will help the young guys recharge the batteries.
While it may have worked before, Hank has played far too many games and will not get a break over the Olympics at all. He could end up playing 80-85 games before this team even gets to the end of the season. Hank is an elite player, but all of the pressure every night along with all of the work and concentration will eventually run him into the ground.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:36 PM
  #99
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Rangers have been in the same spot the last two years as well. Needing a big push to make it in to the playoffs. Henrik has had excellent end runs, as have the team for the most part. It was right around now that Rennys Rangers were in the death slump that would get him fired last season.

The team has progressed in some ways:

Gomez out.. Gabby in..

But for the most part the team is eerily the same if not worse off with all the turnover on the roster + the young blueline. I expect they will man up post Olympics and make a run and make it in to the playoffs.

How many times have we said... Lundqvist alone will always keep this team out of the lottery and at least somewhat competitive


They looked tired tonight. They looked really slow vs the Preds players. The season has to be wearing down Gilroy and Del Z at this point.

Hopefully the olympic break will help the young guys recharge the batteries.
You didn't have Henke playing goal in an international tournament in the last two seasons. The last time that happened, the Rangers fell apart down the stretch and surrendered 1st place to the Debbies after being up double digit points at the Olympic break.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 11:36 PM
  #100
FOXHOUND*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
well at least atlanta got 1 point

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.