HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nashville Predators @ New York Rangers - Postgame Discussion

Old
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
There are too many teams in it with games in hand, and there are too many rookies on the Rangers in key positions.
You may be right here. The Blueline is looking very green as the season grinds on. But I have faith.

As much as I get the logic of " if they're not going to make it, or get very far, might as well tank and be a lottery team" I just don't think the players will ever not play hard to make the playoffs given the 8 spot is within reach.

Players want to play in the playoffs

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
While it may have worked before, Hank has played far too many games and will not get a break over the Olympics at all. He could end up playing 80-85 games before this team even gets to the end of the season. Hank is an elite player, but all of the pressure every night along with all of the work and concentration will eventually run him into the ground.
I think thats partly true, considering how we all saw Hank fall apart after the last Olympic year. I always believe Henrik can muster up a solid performance, and given thats hes a veteran i think physically he'll hold up the best he can. But it runs so much deeper than just Lundqvist.

You have a 19 year old second pairing defenseman making glaring mistakes on a nightly basis and a 25 year old 3rd pairing defenseman whos got nothing left in the tank. Its what anyone should have expected going into this year at this stage of the season. Hey, we might see a short jolt of great play by these guys after the break, but it wont be long before they regress again. Its to be expected. This team has too many holes and too many underachieving veterans to be the team they need to be to make the playoffs and compete for the cup. I think its become glaringly evident if you've watched this team the past 2 months.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
4 points out of an offseason were we see 4 more games and continue our "storied" history of mediocrity

jackasses like you keep james dolan's pocket fat
Yeah, because I'm buying tickets, attending games, and buying merchandise.

We're mediocrity this year no matter what. But I'd rather lose fighting rather than pulling a Penguins and be an embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i DONT want to tank. Henrik does not seem to play well in Pittsburgh particularly against Crosby and Malkin. They just own him. This is about giving us a better chance to win. Throwing Pittsburgh a different look might be the way to go. Theres only 3 teams I would do this for. Pittsburgh, Philly, and Montreal (in montreal)...It's about knowing your opposition and how they play against Henrik. Id have him right back in there against the Lightning.
Good point, but I still think Hank gives us a better chance than Johnson.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
You may be right here. The Blueline is looking very green as the season grinds on. But I have faith.

As much as I get the logic of " if they're not going to make it, or get very far, might as well tank and be a lottery team" I just don't think the players will ever not play hard to make the playoffs given the 8 spot is within reach.

Players want to play in the playoffs
Dont forget the 3rd line center position.

I think Anisimov is going to be a very solid player. But hes still a squirt.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Can someone explain to me why Redden hasn't been waived yet? Help me understand the potential short term/long term benefits of keeping Wade Redden on our NHL roster. I can't figure it out.

Are you telling me that no one in Hartford is capable of committing 3-4 turnovers a game that result in either breakaways or odd man rushes, produce nothing offensively, play soft and not stick up for teammates? He does nothing well. He doesn't even make a good outlet pass anymore and that use to be a staple in his game. Torts treats him like a #6 Dman with the icetime he gives him. So why not let a kid from Hartford play? If the ultimate end game with Redden is that he gets waived at the end of the year then why are we waiting?
Absolutely spot on.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
If they tie the Rangers move down to 6th in the league from the bottom. If Atlanta wins in OT they move ahead of the Rangers by one point with 2 games in hand.

I totally agree. I love how people are clamoring for this team not to be tankers, yet the numbers show that this team isnt going to make the playoffs. Sorry folks, this team isnt very good and it is better for them to finish really low than 9th or 10th.
Says you. I think its totally dishonorable to not try to win as many games no matter where you finish... I dont care how good a team like the Penguins get, I'd rather play as hard as I could and try to get as many wins then be rewarded for sabotage with a Malkin or Crosby. That might not be "smart" in your eyes, but I'd be more proud of my team if they do what I suggest. Just my opinion.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Yeah, because I'm buying tickets, attending games, and buying merchandise.

We're mediocrity this year no matter what. But I'd rather lose fighting rather than pulling a Penguins and be an embarrassment.

Good point, but I still think Hank gives us a better chance than Johnson.
Penguins are an embarrassment? last i checked they raised the stanley cup over their heads this past year. people are scared to play them. sorry but nobody even talks about that **** anymore because they proved that it works.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
CJ's had 2 fantastic games so far, and 2 not so great games

Wouldn't mind giving him the start in an arena that hank's bad in.

Either way, we don't have gaborik, if CJ has a 50/50 chance of having another fantastic 1/2 goal start, go for it. Hopefully our offense can win with that.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Penguins are an embarrassment? last i checked they raised the stanley cup over their heads this past year. people are scared to play them. sorry but nobody even talks about that **** anymore because they proved that it works.
They proved that purposely tanking works? Good for them. Makes them look like cheaters.

You know what? I'll let you be and you can go pray and hope that we tank the remainder of our games.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You didn't have Henke playing goal in an international tournament in the last two seasons. The last time that happened, the Rangers fell apart down the stretch and surrendered 1st place to the Debbies after being up double digit points at the Olympic break.

Thats true as well.

I'm not really worried about Lundqvist. My worry, aside form the ineptitude of the offense, is the young and tired blueline. They often look overwhelmed.

Old
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the interesting thing here is, the Rangers might actually become a better team if he can simply get this dead weight off of it. in essence, if he could hypothetically "sell" Redden and/or Drury we might actually get better, just getting away from these guys. Both guys are hurting this team for entirely different reasons. Drury because this team just needs to get away from his whole era which has gotten progressively worse since he got here, and redden because he just flat out stinks.
Bingo. Great post.

Too bad we (probably) can't move them. Don't let the Drury lovers see this! They still think he is a valuable asset to this team

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
It's embarrassing how they got to this point.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

And its not about TANKING.

I hate that word. Its just about a realization. You want to set yourself up the best you can to succeed. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take one forward. It doesnt mean you have to abandon winning habits and the correct attitude to succeed in this league. It DOES mean to reassess your team correctly and do whats right by not wasting assets on foolish deals for what's becoming a pipe dream. Thats all I wish for

31 points in 22 games is going to be very difficult even with a favorable schedule. Unfortunately if you take a look ahead its not so easy.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
They proved that purposely tanking works? Good for them. Makes them look like cheaters.

You know what? I'll let you be and you can go pray and hope that we tank the remainder of our games.
There's a difference between tanking and having the team trade for quick fixes. And while I may be happy (thinking long term) that the Rangers lose a bunch of the remaining games, I'm obviously not thinking that the players themselves are trying to lose.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:47 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
Says you. I think its totally dishonorable to not try to win as many games no matter where you finish... I dont care how good a team like the Penguins get, I'd rather play as hard as I could and try to get as many wins then be rewarded for sabotage with a Malkin or Crosby. That might not be "smart" in your eyes, but I'd be more proud of my team if they do what I suggest. Just my opinion.
One word. Mediocrity.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Nashville shot chart:

A picture says 1,000 words.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Bingo. Great post.

Too bad we (probably) can't move them. Don't let the Drury lovers see this! They still think he is a valuable asset to this team
intangibles

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Can someone explain to me why Redden hasn't been waived yet? Help me understand the potential short term/long term benefits of keeping Wade Redden on our NHL roster. I can't figure it out.

Are you telling me that no one in Hartford is capable of committing 3-4 turnovers a game that result in either breakaways or odd man rushes, produce nothing offensively, play soft and not stick up for teammates? He does nothing well. He doesn't even make a good outlet pass anymore and that use to be a staple in his game. Torts treats him like a #6 Dman with the icetime he gives him. So why not let a kid from Hartford play? If the ultimate end game with Redden is that he gets waived at the end of the year then why are we waiting?
6 Million Dollar D man in Hartford is a very awkward situation.

Easy for us to pull the fantasy cyber trigger on that move. Hard for Glen Sather. For many reasons. Some good, some bad.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Nashville shot chart:

A picture says 1,000 words.
Wheres the NYR chart?

Old
02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

good for you man, keep fighting the good fight, i'm sure we'll eek our way out of the mediocrity gutter and be a top tier team next year...maybe a few more free agent signings?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
I'm with you there, buddy. Let the geniuses like Sather do their black magic. Players should never be subjected to a tank mentality. Crappy franchises like the good old Penguins had no shame, a whining bunch of back-room grovellers.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Wheres the NYR chart?
I only did Nashville so I could drive home a point on my blog, figured I'd share with the HF masses as well.

Sorry dude.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Awesome game all around. Everyone from the fans, to the players, to the ushers seemed like they didn't even want to be there.

We have so many holes. I don't think Gilroy should be in the NHL, but obviously it'd be idiotic to ***** about him with all of our other problems. If we had a stacked defense full of 5 worthy to be on our roster defenders, then I'd be a bit more adamant.

Del Zotto needs to mature, as would be expected for a 19 year old. Can't mouth off plain and simple. If Avery can control it so can you, and you better. Saw him **** up a pass and flex his stick. Like we all knew it wasn't the stick. LOL.

Of course these guys get exposed without Gaborik. Christensen is a funny cat. It is totally behavioral/psychological with him. Give him some time, and play him with better players and he looks like a top six kind of guy. Just the way he moves and handles the puck, I see a huge difference. But conversely put him any lower and he sags. Torts needs to realize this.

God damn Lisin can create something out of nothing, but he's closer to Rico Fata than Mike Gartner.

All in all they threw in the towel at the start of the game. No one was hustling.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:52 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
One word. Mediocrity.
Ridding the team of players like Redden, Drury, and Rozy, I'm all in favor of, but I think we should get people back, tanking to get high draft picks do not guarantee anything but high expectations. And when people are rooting for other teams to overtake us in the standing, I just get disgusted.

Old
02-10-2010, 10:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I'm with you there, buddy. Let the geniuses like Sather do their black magic. Players should never be subjected to a tank mentality. Crappy franchises like the good old Penguins had no shame, a whining bunch of back-room grovellers.
I dont think many people are saying "tank", what we are saying is that if this team isn't going to make the playoffs, why not sell players like Jokinen and Prospal and try to move Rozsival for any sort of future pieces that can help down the road. This team is already tanking without any help from anyone, they are 6th from the bottom of the league.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote