HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Product not made in China

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
  #26
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Counterfeiting is rampant overseas. I have heard (first hand knowledge) of instances where the counterfeit product is made in the same factory as the original.

As for child labor and sweat shops. It's a different culture. If the kids weren't working at a factory they'd be working on a farm or in a local market. They aren't forced to work, they want to work. You sweat your tail off in even the most modern facilities over there so almost every factory could be called a sweat shop.
Wow someone that actully gets it. Yes the poster didn't want this to go political...but it's too late for that, you have opened a can of worms on this one.

"Stick9" you are absolutely right. One of the problems we have here in American is that different cultures. Example: I go down to my local car wash and I see nothing but Mexicans wiping down car. The first through that comes to my head is why are not more American kids doing that job? Why!, I'll tell you why. It's because this type of work is beneath them. It's like cleaning toilets.

Why aren't there more factories building all kind of great stuff here in America? Well over seas, they don't have labor laws. They don't have unions that say or put restrictions on who can work and who can't work.

Let's say I open up a factory here in Detroit to build hockey equipment. With such a high demand for my great protective product, who should I hire to help me make this product? First lets lay some ground rules...

First: You will be working an 32 hour a week shift. Why 32 hours a week? This way I can save money on not paying for your Health Insurance. This way the product can be sold a little cheaper. If I give you insurance, then that price will go to the consumer and we might price ourself out of the market place.

Second Because we don't discriminate (according to the labor laws) I can hire anyone I want that meets or produces the proper employment paper work and are of working age. Currently there is no tracking system or National data base that will give me the opportunity to check my employees to see if they are using someone elses Social Security Number. So if I don't hire them, I can be called on the carpet for not hiring and I will fall under a Discrimination Act law suit.

The list can go on and on, why companies are moving their products over seas. It's cheaper to produce. They don't have to worry about Unions or labor laws. And, they can compete in the market place and provide you with a product that falls within your budget.

Do I like it...Nope! But we are a nation of consumers. Every time you turn, Walmart is lowering prices so that you will buy stuff in the store. We are living in a "Live for today" society. We want instant gratification on everything, and we are not willing to wait unless we figure out that it is humanly impossible or it cost too much. Then and only then, do we aqueous to our crazy impulses.

Head coach

__________________
Hundreds of Hockey Drill for FREE at http://www.passthepuck.net
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
  #27
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Wow someone that actully gets it. Yes the poster didn't want this to go political...but it's too late for that, you have opened a can of worms on this one.

"Stick9" you are absolutely right. One of the problems we have here in American is that different cultures. Example: I go down to my local car wash and I see nothing but Mexicans wiping down car. The first through that comes to my head is why are not more American kids doing that job? Why!, I'll tell you why. It's because this type of work is beneath them. It's like cleaning toilets.

Why aren't there more factories building all kind of great stuff here in America? Well over seas, they don't have labor laws. They don't have unions that say or put restrictions on who can work and who can't work........


Head coach
Thanks HC. I have some experience with the topic as I work closely with our CM's (contract manufacturers) on a variety of different levels and projects.

Something else I didn't mention. You give a Chinese worker too much time off and he'll look for another job. Name me one american worker who quit because they were given too much time off... We've become lazy and unmotivated. We talk a good game by saying we won't buy things made here or there, but if it came down to doing those jobs ourselves...no way no how. I'm not sitting a sewing machine stitching glove palms for 8 hours day...well maybe if they gave me like $25 an hour.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
  #28
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deking past you
Country: Barbados
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Thanks HC. I have some experience with the topic as I work closely with our CM's (contract manufacturers) on a variety of different levels and projects.

Something else I didn't mention. You give a Chinese worker too much time off and he'll look for another job. Name me one american worker who quit because they were given too much time off... We've become lazy and unmotivated. We talk a good game by saying we won't buy things made here or there, but if it came down to doing those jobs ourselves...no way no how. I'm not sitting a sewing machine stitching glove palms for 8 hours day...well maybe if they gave me like $25 an hour.
Oh no, this thread went political!!! Aaaaccckkk!!!

I actually spent a day trying to decide if I should post this thread, as I just wanted to know if there were obscure but good quality manufacturers still producing here in the US/Canada, kind of like Alden's or Allen Edmonds when it comes to shoes.

If we are going to go political with the thread, it doesn't help that a Chinese laborer is willing to work for $1/day, and that in the US noone needs to pay you $25/hour because there's 20 MM illegals here willing to work for far less.

Its more than just laziness, its that noone in the US cares about anyone else; otherwise the labor laws would be enforced and the labor supply would be reduced, driving salaries higher. Then, even if the cost of goods were lower in foreign countries due to labor laws, we'd have differential tax laws in place to eliminate the gap favoring lower cost countries...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  #29
BaconStrips
Registered User
 
BaconStrips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Oh no, this thread went political!!! Aaaaccckkk!!!

I actually spent a day trying to decide if I should post this thread, as I just wanted to know if there were obscure but good quality manufacturers still producing here in the US/Canada, kind of like Alden's or Allen Edmonds when it comes to shoes.

If we are going to go political with the thread, it doesn't help that a Chinese laborer is willing to work for $1/day, and that in the US noone needs to pay you $25/hour because there's 20 MM illegals here willing to work for far less.

Its more than just laziness, its that noone in the US cares about anyone else; otherwise the labor laws would be enforced and the labor supply would be reduced, driving salaries higher. Then, even if the cost of goods were lower in foreign countries due to labor laws, we'd have differential tax laws in place to eliminate the gap favoring lower cost countries...
Just.Buy.Used

Buy used and you aren't supporting any company.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
  #30
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Eagle is shifting more of their production overseas and Bauer is no longer going to make retail skates in Canada, all in China. Whether it's China or Mexico, everyone here is missing the point. The guys in charge are Americans or Canadians who are very well versed on hockey and hockey products, and constantly fly between China and the US/Canada. Basically, they're North Americans overseeing 99% of what happens in China, Mexico or wherever. I'm not going to say I favor outsourcing or like all things made in China, I disfavor both of those things, but it's done for a reason. There are far fewer factories and much less manufacturing capacity in US and Canada. If every stick maker was in N.A., every top end stick would be another $100 more expensive.
Exactly my point. They are shipping jobs overseas to take advantage of cheaper labor, yet the cost of these products continues to go up every year.
Personally, Id be more than willing to pay more for products that were made in the USA or Canada. Id rathar see the stuff I buy put food on the table of people here than to put food on the tables of people half way around the world. Not to mention what supporting local business does to boost the local tax base. Theres so many reason why made in China/made in Mexico is bad for the USA and Canada.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
  #31
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,079
vCash: 500
lol if there were 2 identical products with identical prices. I would (as would most people) choose the one with the better quality, doesn't matter where it's made. Of course those of you who mistrust MIC products are absolutely entitled to that. Just make sure you know WHY

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.