HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Streak Breakers! Habs beat Caps 6-5 in OT

Old
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Pandemic

vCash: 500
Man, Hal Gill is really becoming a favourite of mine. He's been so steady since he came back from that leg injury.. i really think it was hampering his play while he was trying to play through it.

He had ELEVEN blocked shots.. ELEVEN. Holy crapola! That's almost as much as the entire Caps team.. and half of what the entire Habs team blocked.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
No, you are an idiot. Standings are based SOLELY on points for, notice how the order is from the most points going down?
When teams have played various numbers of games, you look at point PCT to see which teams gets the most points per game. Because at the end of the season, when every team has played 82, the teams with the most point PCT are obviously ahead. Idiot.

To elaborate: It doesn't matter if we are 7 points ahead of teamX, if they have played ten less games than us but have a better point PCT, chances are that they're going to catch up.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
sheed36

I was just checking out Daren Millard's twitter page and he tweeted this during last nights Habs game....

Quote:
Caps on the short end of at least 4 calls in the second. Bizzare night.
Were there really that many? Other than the offside and Ovy's play what other plays were there that the Caps came out on the short end in that period? Metro's goal maybe?

He should have followed up after the game indicating some of the calls the refs missed on the Caps in the 3rd...Like the missed interference call on Gionta just before the Caps tied it @ 5...Sorry Daren but both teams got the short end last night in regards to calls and not just the Caps..

Still a great win by the Habs..They deserved the 2 points last night..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Max Levine

I thought Hal Gill played one of his best games in a Habs uniform last night. I don't know how many shots he blocked along with the many plays he broke with his long reach, but I saw him in the middle of things negating a scoring opportunity so often after Gorges got hurt. He really took over and deserves a lot of credit. And to think that I was anything but impressed with this Gainey's addition.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
When teams have played various numbers of games, you look at point PCT to see which teams gets the most points per game. Because at the end of the season, when every team has played 82, the teams with the most point PCT are obviously ahead. Idiot.

To elaborate: It doesn't matter if we are 7 points ahead of teamX, if they have played ten less games than us but have a better point PCT, chances are that they're going to catch up.
Point PCT is retrospective. It doesn't really have much to do with how a team will do tommorrow. Hockey is not economics.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I was just checking out Daren Millard's twitter page and he tweeted this during last nights Habs game....

Were there really that many? Other than the offside and Ovy's play what other plays were there that the Caps came out on the short end in that period? Metro's goal maybe?

He should have followed up after the game indicating some of the calls the refs missed on the Caps in the 3rd...Like the missed interference call on Gionta just before the Caps tied it @ 5...Sorry Daren but both teams got the short end last night in regards to calls and not just the Caps..

Still a great win by the Habs..They deserved the 2 points last night..
The calls on Gill and Plekanec were horrible "make up" calls and I think both led to goals. The Plekanec one was especially brutal, knocking down the d-man with a hip/shoulder check and they call him for slashing

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Man, Hal Gill is really becoming a favourite of mine. He's been so steady since he came back from that leg injury.. i really think it was hampering his play while he was trying to play through it.

He had ELEVEN blocked shots.. ELEVEN. Holy crapola! That's almost as much as the entire Caps team.. and half of what the entire Habs team blocked.
Yeah Gill as been playing very well defensively since returning from his injury and as been really effective on the PK....

The only mistake Gill had last night (which wasn't his fault) was when that fool Jacques Martin put him out on the point for that PP in the 3rd..What the hell were you thinking Jack? Just let Gill play the role he was brought in to play and not put the guy in situations where he is not effective...

Old
02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Point PCT is retrospective. It doesn't really have much to do with how a team will do tommorrow. Hockey is not economics.
I disagree, PCT percentage is the best indicator of a team's likelihood of winning a given game. Hockey is indeed a lot like economics.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The calls on Gill and Plekanec were horrible "make up" calls and I think both led to goals. The Plekanec one was especially brutal, knocking down the d-man with a hip/shoulder check and they call him for slashing
I agree they were lame calls...It's just that the guy made it sound like the Caps were the only team getting the short end..It was a poorly officiated game for both teams with both getting the short end from the refs...

Old
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I disagree, PCT percentage is the best indicator of a team's likelihood of winning a given game. Hockey is indeed a lot like economics.
watching games with your calc huh ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Corey

Quote:

The teams with the games in hand have to win them to pull ahead of the Habs. Otherwise, the GIHs are like store discount coupons with an expiration date.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Over a long period of time, yes. 20 games is around one quarter of games to play and with teams going on winning/losing streaks irrespective of their winning percentage, there is a strong chance that Montreal will finish in the top eight in the east despite where their winning percentage currently rests.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Corey

Quote:
Glad you brought that up. Stocks go down as well as up. CD rate go down as well as up. Gross national product goes down as well as up. Unemployment goes down as well as up. Percentages change with every hockey game played. The Devils and Sabres have much lower winning percentages than they did 2 weeks ago and both are losing game after game to lower ranked teams.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Lizard King*

Quote:
It's not even close to economics. Who would have predicted the Bruins going through a 10 game losing streak. Who predicted the Sens winning 10 straight? Who predicted the Habs snapping the Caps win streak and scoring 6 goals? Who predicted Detroit would be out of a playoff spot? Who predicted Colorado would have a playoff spot?

Anything can happen in hockey it's unpredictable. Sure there's a better chance of Washington beating the Islanders but there still is a chance of the Islanders beating Washington, just like the Habs did.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I disagree, PCT percentage is the best indicator of a team's likelihood of winning a given game.
And for those who disagree, riddle me this: Washington (89 pts) and Toronto (49 pts) both have 22 games left. Which is more likely: Washington cracks 110 points, or Toronto cracks 70 points? Why? Which one would you put money on right now, and why?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
KingRacicot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
The play looked scary and I think everyone thought the worst (mostly because Gorges appeared not to move for a while) but I think you'll find it was a cut caused by the helmet edge (which itself may have saved his life) .

What I took away from that were the kind words that Gomez had for Josh in the intermission interview. There are very few moments when you get meaningful comments from players about how they feel for one another, and Gomez is more likely to tell it like it is, but I got the impression that Gorges is a guy who is well respected.

When the guy blocks a slapshot with his head in a critical game I guess that statement is totally redundent but good to hear nevertheless.
Here, here. That was indeed very touching. Perhaps these millionaires are human beings with real feelings after all

KingRacicot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:03 PM
KingRacicot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheroux View Post
Here's my thing with Price, maybe others don't feel this way but I do.

I honestly cringe/get nervous on *every* routine shot that comes his way. I've just watched soooo many games where he lets in the big softies that have no business going in. To be fair Halak has probably let a few of these in as well, but I don't think he lets them in with the frequency that Price does.

With Halak, I have no cringe/nervous reflex at all while watching the game.

The other problem is Price's puck handling. Why the hell does he have to dangle with the puck like he's Datsyuk? Just stop the puck and give it to your defensemen. I swear half the time the defense is confused as to where Price is going to pass the puck.

I think the team plays tight when Price is in net and a lot more relaxed when Halak is in net.

My .02.
Hold on, I'll give you change for that................

KingRacicot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And for those who disagree, riddle me this: Washington (89 pts) and Toronto (49 pts) both have 22 games left. Which is more likely: Washington cracks 110 points, or Toronto cracks 70 points? Why? Which one would you put money on right now, and why?
You're choosing a best case (or worst case) scenario. There's a night-and-day difference between the Caps and the Leafs. The Habs are competing with teams that are roughly on the same level as themselves--barely above .500. Do you expect the Lightning, Panthers, Thrashers, Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Flyers all to go on an extended winning streak at the same time? The only one of those teams capable of breaking away from the pack would be the Flyers. Besides--and this is very important--these competing teams will be playing many if not most of their remaining games against each other. By definition, they all can't win all of their games. They'll also have games remaining against teams with much better records, so they'd have to start emulating what the Habs did against the Caps last night.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheroux View Post
Here's my thing with Price, maybe others don't feel this way but I do.

I honestly cringe/get nervous on *every* routine shot that comes his way. I've just watched soooo many games where he lets in the big softies that have no business going in. To be fair Halak has probably let a few of these in as well, but I don't think he lets them in with the frequency that Price does.

With Halak, I have no cringe/nervous reflex at all while watching the game.

The other problem is Price's puck handling. Why the hell does he have to dangle with the puck like he's Datsyuk? Just stop the puck and give it to your defensemen. I swear half the time the defense is confused as to where Price is going to pass the puck.

I think the team plays tight when Price is in net and a lot more relaxed when Halak is in net.

My .02.
You don't think Halak gives up worse rebounds than Price? And how about Price's long, accurate clearing passes to center ice? I have haven't seen many like that from Halak.

Old
02-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You're choosing a best case (or worst case) scenario. There's a night-and-day difference between the Caps and the Leafs. The Habs are competing with teams that are roughly on the same level as themselves--barely above .500. Do you expect the Lightning, Panthers, Thrashers, Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Flyers all to go on an extended winning streak at the same time? The only one of those teams capable of breaking away from the pack would be the Flyers. Besides--and this is very important--these competing teams will be playing many if not most of their remaining games against each other. By definition, they all can't win all of their games. They'll also have games remaining against teams with much better records, so they'd have to start emulating what the Habs did against the Caps last night.
Yeah, that's right: their win percentage, and thus our expectations of how they'll finish off the rest of their respective schedules. Sure, the closer teams are bunched up, the dicier it gets. But the other guy originally posted that being in 6th place right now means relatively little if the Habs only rank 9th in the percentage of points they've taken along the way... and he's right (to an extent). If, at any time, you look at teams with games in hand and you wonder which ones are the biggest threats to overtake, you hopefully logically conclude the team with the best record (i.e. points percentage).

In any event, I don't think about it too hard because there's a website that does all the hard thinking for me. And it shows that, despite being in 6th place right now, the Habs currently only have the 8th best statistical chance (less than 2% above the Bruins in "9th place") at making the playoffs in the Eastern conference (and that's factoring in that the competing teams play some of the remaining games against each other, like you mentioned above). So obviously buddy wasn't far off the mark, and others' criticism of his point was somewhat unfounded.

Quote:
You don't think Halak gives up worse rebounds than Price? And how about Price's long, accurate clearing passes to center ice? I have haven't seen many like that from Halak.
And how about his short accurate pass right onto Ovechkin's stick last night? I haven't seen many like that from Halak either. But again, rebounds aren't "worse" until they start ending up in the back of the net more often than a "competing" goalie fails to stop the initial shots. I'd say that MAYBE Halak lets in no more than 1 goal off a "bad" rebound every three games or so, and that's about the same difference in their GAA right now (Jaro's 2.45 to Carey's 2.79, or 1/3 GPG), so it's a wash.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 02-11-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Wow we went to a firefight with the top offense in the league and we won. I remain stunned!
with cammelleri kostitsyn and pouliot all out, thats 3 top 6 players right there, AND... the big one, 5 D.. five..

or maybe the 4 hamilton bulldogs?

just an exceptional win, come playoff time, we might lose in 6, but we can win in 7!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Man, that's not a cool thing to watch, Gorges looks scared of what just happened to him.
yeap, coulda done without this picture...

I can imagine him looking that scared, its like a piece of his helmet that cracked and pierced deep enough to draw blood, i cant imagine how scared he must of been because of how hard it was hit, after feeling something like that, with that much force, and knowing something other then padding just hit your head and pierced it, id lay completely STILL too, ..you got no idea how bad it could rly be

but im glad, it was not worse then it looked, even scotty G took a puck off the head JUST the other freakin day, it hurt for sure, but they can handle it, im not surprised hes practicing the next day, gomez played the game! i know it wasnt the same LETHALITY of a shot, but its relativly the same thing..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
with cammelleri kostitsyn and pouliot all out, thats 3 top 6 players right there, AND... the big one, 5 D.. five..

or maybe the 4 hamilton bulldogs?

just an exceptional win, come playoff time, we might lose in 6, but we can win in 7!
Maybe, perhaps with Price in goal. His 2-1-1 record against the Caps gives off a ray of hope.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Corey

Quote:
Here's a simpleminded way of looking at things. Tonight, several of the Habs' rivals are in action. In one game the Bruins are leading the Lightning by 5-2 after 2 periods. I expect the Bruins to win, the Lightning to lose, with no OT points going to the loser. Thus, the Bruins gain 2 points on the Habs and improve their winning PCT, the Lightning gain nothing and lower their winning PCT, and each team uses up a game in hand. This will go on and on for the remaining 20+ games. By the end of the season some teams will have eliminated themselves from the playoff race. All the Habs have to do to make the playoffs is win slightly more than half their games and lose a few in OT or SO. Parity or mediocrity, whatever you want to call it, is the prevailing theme for all but a few teams on top in both conferences. It's not necessarily true that a team has to rack up 95 points to make the playoffs. A lot depends on the teams the Habs defeat. A win against Boston or Philadelphia or Tampa Bay is more valuable than a win against Washington, no matter how satisfying it is to beat a front runner. It was of little consequence that the Caps got a point out of the game. On the other hand, letting Boston get to OT could matter.

Last edited by Corey: 02-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.