HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro on players being traded from Montreal and Carey Price

Old
02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
The point is, he never has anything good to say about us, he's always criticising. The kid is an emo debbie downer.
My point is that you're just a kid, probably around 17 years old, and you have no clue what you're saying.

Ribeiro is not "always criticising[sic]" and he surely isn't an "emo debbie downer". He's offering feedback when asked a question and I'd take his word over anyone else who hasn't played in the league or Montreal any day.

He's right, fans are too hard on Price and Halak. He's right, talented Montreal players do toil away until they leave*. He has experienced all of this and knows it.

*My argument for that is the following: Our lack of system, cohesion or identity really harms prospect development (look at: D'Agostini, Pacioretty). In a few years when the team has a solidified core (Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Markov, Pleks and Price) things will get better. Hopefully in time for Kristo.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
My point is that you're just a kid, probably around 17 years old, and you have no clue what you're saying.

Ribeiro is not "always criticising[sic]" and he surely isn't an "emo debbie downer". He's offering feedback when asked a question and I'd take his word over anyone else who hasn't played in the league or Montreal any day.

He's right, fans are too hard on Price and Halak. He's right, talented Montreal players do toil away until they leave*. He has experienced all of this and knows it.

*My argument for that is the following: Our lack of system, cohesion or identity really harms prospect development (look at: D'Agostini, Pacioretty). In a few years when the team has a solidified core (Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Markov, Pleks and Price) things will get better. Hopefully in time for Kristo.
You're right, I can't have an opinion, what the hell was I thinking? Oh and you know me personally? That's good to know, *updates ignore list*

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Yes and no.

It's not always the case, see: Ryder, Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, etc.
Kovalev: he was getting way too slow
Koivu: was a no1 center on our team but with age is more a 2nd-3rd.
Tanguay: I admit that I don't understand how he dropped that much... maybe the injury was worst than we though
Ryder: told you.

We need to keep Price. He has talent, and is just like most young goaltenders inconstant.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:34 PM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I have been to Dallas, Houston and the outskirts like San Antonio! Dallas is the major city and biggest city in Texas and it's no where close to Montreal in ''distractions''.
Uh, no. Houston is the fourth-largest city in the United States and the largest city in the state of Texas. As of the 2008 U.S. Census estimate, the city had a population of 2.2 million, about 1 million more than Dallas. That said, Dallas has lots of distractions...as do most cities of a million or more people.

But back to Hockey. I was one of those who said that Mike would never be a credible number 2 center and would be out of the league within 3 years. Fail. It is easy to underestimate how difficult it can be for young players in this market.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:34 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
You're right, I can't have an opinion, what the hell was I thinking? Oh and you know me personally? That's good to know, *updates ignore list*
What's that saying about opinions and a certain human orifice? Something along the lines of, everybody has one or something?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Yes and no.

It's not always the case, see: Ryder, Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, etc.
Souray,Samsonov,Higgins, his good buddies Theodore and Dagenias, the list goes on and on.

What a tool.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Just listening to Marinaro and Tieman on The Team 990 and they had Mike Ribeiro call in from Calgary to speak about his injury etc.

Some interesting quotes from Mr. Ribeiro:

''Guys always do better when they leave Montreal, look at Latendresse he has 20 goals''

''I hope you guys leave Price alone, he is going to be one of the best goalies in the league when he is 28''

''Montreal media and fans expect too much from the younger players and are not patient with them''

Although I would not disagree with Ribeiro's statement, fans and media are not the only ones who expect too much - too soon - from the young players.

Habs management appears to have rushed Price and Max P. along way too fast - this ultimate responsibility lies with the now departed GM Bob Gainey.

Is it any wonder this team is no further along after (nearly) 7 years with Gainey at the helm?

Hopefully, Pierre Gauthier's management policies will be more player friendly and player productive than were Gainey's ways of doing things!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Stan

One of the happiest days of my life was when Ribeiro was traded. I never want him to be part of this team again. Even though it was a completely one-sided trade, I would do it again. Obviously I'm not a fan.

Having said all that, sounds like he grew a set. I agree with everything he said...and he should know

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Higgins and Komisarek are yet to reach their potential.
Higgins has. He is simply on the downside of his career.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Corey

Quote:
I have been to Dallas, Houston and the outskirts like San Antonio! Dallas is the major city and biggest city in Texas and it's no where close to Montreal in ''distractions''.

Sure, when you are making over $5,000,000.00 a year and are on TV all the time, you are going to get action! But when you are a star in your hometown (Ribeiro, Theodore etc.) you are constantly distracted!
Dallas is large enough to offer all the distractions anyone can handle. Montréal may offer more, but it's impossible to be tempted by all of them at the same time.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

There's no doubt Montreal is a tough place to play esp when you're a developing player.

That said, we produce good players and we have for a long time now. The expectations are just set wrong.

Does anyone question that Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby or OV would be stars here? Of course not. They'd be stars no matter where they played. We just don't draft high enough to get these kinds of players.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:49 PM
axman88

Quote:
Just listening to Marinaro and Tieman on The Team 990 and they had Mike Ribeiro call in from Calgary to speak about his injury etc.

Some interesting quotes from Mr. Ribeiro:

''Guys always do better when they leave Montreal, look at Latendresse he has 20 goals''

''Getting traded was the best thing for me, I love Dallas and can focus on my game and life, I hope to be in Dallas for the rest of my career''

''I hope you guys leave Price alone, he is going to be one of the best goalies in the league when he is 28''

''Montreal media and fans expect too much from the younger players and are not patient with them''
LOL....That statement kind of backfires as Pouliot was not doing well in Minnesota yet he is thriving IN montreal.

It all depends on a players attitude and his chemistry with teamates and the coaching staff.

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Which young players got significantly better, for a reasonably long period of time (a full season or more) once they left Montreal, besides Rib? Honest question.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

shaddup, Ribs

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
Which young players got significantly better, for a reasonably long period of time (a full season or more) once they left Montreal, besides Rib? Honest question.
John Leclair

In the system (not answering your question just thought I'd throw it in)
Tomas Vokoun
Ron Hainsey
Stephane Robidas
Francois Beauchemin

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:30 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:

Sure, when you are making over $5,000,000.00 a year and are on TV all the time, you are going to get action! But when you are a star in your hometown (Ribeiro, Theodore etc.) you are constantly distracted!
3rd biggest actually (ironically behind Houston and San Antonio)

Austin is where it's at though. Best big city in Texas by far.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Habsrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
John Leclair

Tomas Vokoun
Ron Hainsey
Stephane Robidas
Francois Beauchemin
I had the same question and came up with the same names. Interesting that the last 4 you mention were all lost on waivers. It's impossible to say for sure how they would have turned out had they stayed with Montreal. The issue may be more of asset management than development. In the end I suppose it's the same issue. I'd like to know how the list compares with other teams though.

Habsrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:42 PM
habtastic

Agree with the last two, but again, it's his sour tone. Still so bitter. He makes it seem like it's impossible to well in Montreal.

Benoit Pouliot says hi!
Andrei and Sergei say "you stupeed"
Tomas Plekanec says "me gonna get myself a nice well-derserved contract and be liked by fans"

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
John Leclair

Tomas Vokoun
Ron Hainsey
Stephane Robidas
Francois Beauchemin
Yeah, John Leclair was the name I had in mind after I posted the question.

But honestly, as far as young players getting better elsewhere, it's not as bad as Ribeiro made it sound like (and some people believe this).

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:18 AM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Leave Kovalev out of this. He started like crap and has since been awesome. I love watching this guy. I hope he stays around in Ottawa as long as he can, he's fantastic.
I'm happy he's doing good for you. But what I mean is that, overall this season, he's not having a significantly better season than his past years with Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Higgins has. He is simply on the downside of his career.
True. Higgins is a special case . But theoretically, he's yet to reach his potential.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:24 AM
habtastic

When he got traded, Bob Gainey was our GM (so long ago). Ribs more than anybody (btw he was my favourite "new" player for awhile, Koivu always #1) acted like a brat, like he deserved everything in the world, like he was god, like he was bigger than the team. He helped lead the fractionation of the dressing room along with Dagenais and Theo, he cared more about his ridiculous wardrobe than playing good smart hockey, which he's doing now cuz he's been FORCED to mature as a hockey player. I don't think he's matured as a person much. I was deeply disappointed with the way HE acted towards the end of his tenure. It wasn't his lack of potential or even offensive potency. It was his attitude. That was allll on him. He's not the type of player that Gainey has been trying to fit into the system and he sure as hell wasn't going to change in MTL where he got the Lats/Laps treatment (I actually think Lapierre has been pretty down to earth compared to others).

Look at the guys we have now and the mentality. People say we wouldn't have any leadership without Koivu, but I see a team that plays for each other and who are there to win. There is a changing of the guard happening here. And I thank Bob Gainey for that.

Old
02-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
3rd biggest actually (ironically behind Houston and San Antonio)

Austin is where it's at though. Best big city in Texas by far.
Without a doubt. Great music scene, decently fun at night (either at the bars/clubs or out doing drunk hot-laps of the "loop", lol). It's one of the few places I'd go back to in Texas (was working in Oklahoma City for a while... seemingly many years ago).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:38 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Paging Earl!....EARL THE HALAK FAN....This one's for you, brother!!!!!
Really?... Really?

He may be an amazing goalie when he's 28. He's borderline backup right now though.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:22 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
...I think his point is it seems as if players leaving Montreal do better more so than any other player leaving any other city. If what you say was true, it would happen just as much with young players in other cities, and I think Ribeiro think it's specifically a Montreal thing.

Let's be honest, you guys hold your call-ups to high standards. After a period or two of play, it's not rare to see "he isn't ready, send him down"...in Boston, it seems, we're a little more patient...(when you haven't won a championship in 38 years, it is required )
Ray Bourque had to go to the Avs to win a Cup, didn't he? maybe not the point you're making, but it's not like nobody who leaves Boston has sucesss (Thornton looks good in SJ, you guys wanted him out after not being able to handle the 7th and 8th seeded Habs...twice).

either way, the majority of players who have left Montreal in recent times (post Leclair, Roy) to become more successful were plagued by the fact that they really were not producing for long stretches and/or did not fit into the overall team structure. Ribeiro is doing great playing with the players he is with NOW. Before, he didn't have that support (except Dagenais high fives) or maturity cuz of his own lifestyle/attitude. Ryder...well, he's your deal now. People get complacent when they are here because as much as bruins fans love their team, the whole city is not drooling over their stars, even rookies. There are other sports franchises, it's diluted.

Also, I'm ALLLL for giving people like Price more time. Same can't be said for other players, but then I'd rather they be in the minors until ready cuz they aren't cutting it in the NHL (Dagostini, Pacioretty).

The pressure in Montreal for the Habs to win is far more than it is for the Bs. I definitely respect you guys as a solid fanbase, but the politics here (media-fueled) are ridiculous and I wish they didn't exist, but that's an example of how the Canadiens are a part of the socio-political fabric. Kinda sucks when the team is struggling. Defined the city when we were in our various golden years. Also, it's getting overblown, this concept of everyone leaving Montreal getting better, but it never happening elsewhere. You guys got Chara from the Sens. That was huge. They CHOSE Redden over him. Gaborik is going to be much better in NY than Minny (or rather will fit better). Pouliot is doing better with us and Lats with Minny for similar reasons -- better fit. Everyone focuses on the ones that got away, but really...how great are the latest ones?

call me when our Hart and Vezina-winning Theo lives up to that again!
Higgins has not been a big loss. How many years did Hainsey take to develop and honestly, in our current org., I'm happy for him not to be in it. Beauchemin...meh...take it or leave it (overhyped). Rivet (another basher), wouldn't keep him for free. Begin - good for your style, was great for us at times, cost us the playoffs twice, still a hero, but his time had come here. Robidas yes, mishandled perhaps, but again, the luxury of time is something the team does not have. As much as there are pro-Tankers around here, it's a recent phenomenon. Boston got to tank for awhile in the past decade, so the young players you are being patient with deliver a lot faster.

Ribs is definitely a very very solid player now (just saw that through the legs play). Still, I'm happy with signing Plekanec and we should focus on the ones we are keeping/planning to keep (or have kept --> Markov). I also have really enjoyed a former Bruin, Metropolit. Great pickup although I dunno what's gonna happen now.

As for a player people will not be giving up on...I give you PK Subban. Give him all the time he wants.

oh and special mention to Josh Gorges, who has been nothing less than fantastic since being aquired (for Rivet!)

Old
02-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
i blame night life

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote