HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brashear Demands Trade, Rangers put him on waivers

Old
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i think the 35+ clause only applies to every year of the deal other than the first year.

so i think his cap hit would come off the books completely this year if the rangers kept him down, but would come back on the books (minus 100k) next year. so if there are no takers, it would be best to put him on re-entry next season.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
I read that to but not sure whats right, if so though yea waive to Hartford for the yr and re-entry next

I still pray he gets picked up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Agreed, this guy should be collecting cans for a living.

Listen, I hate Brashear... as a hockey player. I was unhappy when we signed him in the off-season and furious when I saw his cap number. I've never liked him, at any point during his career. I have called him useless and begged for him to be benched/waived/traded/etc.

That said, the outpouring of hate towards this guy, just because Sather gave him an inflated contract and his stay in NY hasn't worked out and the guy has asked to be moved, presumably so that he can finish out his career on a team that's willing to dress him rather than watching from the press box... it's unreal.

He's a professional hockey player. He has been for a pretty long time and at one point he was considered one of, if not THE best heavies in the league. And the guy could play the game - not with the best of them, obviously - but until recent years he was an effective role player. He's had 31, 28 and 25 points in a season - not bad for a "goon". Now he's 38 years old, he's had some injuries and a steady decline in skill, along with some reluctance to drop the mitts and "do his job" has made him virtually useless as an NHLer but you can't blame him for taking the contract Sather offered him or for wanting to go some place where he hopes he'll be utilized more.

Rangers fans are acting like he just dissed their momma when they've been praying for him to be traded all season. Now because he asked to be, its some great insult to the franchise?

So Donald's career is virtually over and he just hasn't realized it yet. You're going to say the guy should be picking up cans for a living because of that? Because he still thinks he's got something to offer and wants to go someplace where he can offer it? He's just an average guy, like every one of the people crapping all over him in this thread. You wanna say he has a bad attitude or poor work ethic fine, but to suggest he deserves less than anybody else, just because he was offered a ridiculous contract and isn't happy watching the end of his career from the stands is just stupid.

HFboards needs a serious helping of perspective. A lot of the posts in every sort of thread imaginable just amaze me.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:08 PM
burke4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
If Jamal Mayers can get a return, so can Brashear.

I just hope he's not headed to Dallas.

Stay away, Joe!
HAHAHA thats what i was thinking!

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post

Listen, I hate Brashear... as a hockey player. I was unhappy when we signed him in the off-season and furious when I saw his cap number. I've never liked him, at any point during his career. I have called him useless and begged for him to be benched/waived/traded/etc.

That said, the outpouring of hate towards this guy, just because Sather gave him an inflated contract and his stay in NY hasn't worked out and the guy has asked to be moved, presumably so that he can finish out his career on a team that's willing to dress him rather than watching from the press box... it's unreal.

He's a professional hockey player. He has been for a pretty long time and at one point he was considered one of, if not THE best heavies in the league. And the guy could play the game - not with the best of them, obviously - but until recent years he was an effective role player. He's had 31, 28 and 25 points in a season - not bad for a "goon". Now he's 38 years old, he's had some injuries and a steady decline in skill, along with some reluctance to drop the mitts and "do his job" has made him virtually useless as an NHLer but you can't blame him for taking the contract Sather offered him or for wanting to go some place where he hopes he'll be utilized more.

Rangers fans are acting like he just dissed their momma when they've been praying for him to be traded all season. Now because he asked to be, its some great insult to the franchise?

So Donald's career is virtually over and he just hasn't realized it yet. You're going to say the guy should be picking up cans for a living because of that? Because he still thinks he's got something to offer and wants to go someplace where he can offer it? He's just an average guy, like every one of the people crapping all over him in this thread. You wanna say he has a bad attitude or poor work ethic fine, but to suggest he deserves less than anybody else, just because he was offered a ridiculous contract and isn't happy watching the end of his career from the stands is just stupid.

HFboards needs a serious helping of perspective. A lot of the posts in every sort of thread imaginable just amaze me.
"Older" Ranger fans have never liked the guy because of his numerous antics ex: ( When with the Habs and Flyers,wiping his hands after a fight on the way to the box along and constant after the whistle verbal crap). We are supposed to hate opposing teams tough guys. I have no problem with that. But after the stuff he pulled with Shanny and then the cheapshot on Blair Betts, it was kind of hard to expect Ranger fans to become so enamored this guy right out of the gate.

Many Ranger fans love to love their heavyweights. Nick Fotiu, George McPhee, Chris Nilan, Joey Kocur, Darren Langdon, and Colton Orr were loved by the majority of Ranger fans. They fed off of the crowds energy and the crowd fed off the them. The Donald?? Not at all.

This guy was upset that he was booed the first game he suited up in preseason. He never had that "bleed blue" like persona that the others had. Never will. He gave off the impression that he was here for the money and just signed with the highest bidder. He did. Again. Not his fault that he was offered that rediculous contract.

Ranger fans (contrary to popular belief) aren't stupid. They saw something (many things) in the guy that they didn't like. It didn't work. The guys skills have deteriorated as a player and a fighter. Now he is opening his yap and complaining. He takes a pot shot at Orr, who was loved by most fans that I personally know (outside of the small group of HFers who never did).

Also, I remember Donald having run ins with Hab management and I think Vancouvers too.

Not a good way to drum up respect from the fans. Hopefully we can purge this team of this mistake and both he and the Rangers can move on.

On a personal note, I hated the guys style of fighting and have always been more of a fan of a teams tough guy, not being the teams smack talker. I like that position for the more skilled player who is actually on the ice more than 3 mins a game and the type who is good enough to skate with the other teams top players, and get in their head at the same time.

Just me though.

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 02-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Another failed signing.

How the hell does Sather still have a job?

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:22 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

if only McSorley had a better baseball swing, we wouldn't be in this predicament

ok bad joke sorry

Hope someone takes him, even if it winds up being on re-entry. Half the salary on the books is better than all of it

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
if only McSorley had a better baseball swing, we wouldn't be in this predicament

ok bad joke sorry

Hope someone takes him, even if it winds up being on re-entry. Half the salary on the books is better than all of it
Found it funny.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Dear Glen Sather, thanks for not signing Colton Orr. He has been a good enforcer for us, and at a cheap price. Thanks for signing Brashear instead.
Love, Leafs.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:15 PM
chatteaubowwow

brash

when the rangers signed him, I said to myself, wow this has to be quite possibly one of if not the most useless signing ive seen the rangers make in 20 years. Did anyone really expect this one to work out?

chatteaubowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
"Older" Ranger fans have never liked the guy because of his numerous antics ex: ( When with the Habs and Flyers,wiping his hands after a fight on the way to the box along and constant after the whistle verbal crap). We are supposed to hate opposing teams tough guys. I have no problem with that. But after the stuff he pulled with Shanny and then the cheapshot on Blair Betts, it was kind of hard to expect Ranger fans to become so enamored this guy right out of the gate.

Many Ranger fans love to love their heavyweights. Nick Fotiu, George McPhee, Chris Nilan, Joey Kocur, Darren Langdon, and Colton Orr were loved by the majority of Ranger fans. They fed off of the crowds energy and the crowd fed off the them. The Donald?? Not at all.

This guy was upset that he was booed the first game he suited up in preseason. He never had that "bleed blue" like persona that the others had. Never will. He gave off the impression that he was here for the money and just signed with the highest bidder. He did. Again. Not his fault that he was offered that rediculous contract.

Ranger fans (contrary to popular belief) aren't stupid. They saw something (many things) in the guy that they didn't like. It didn't work. The guys skills have deteriorated as a player and a fighter. Now he is opening his yap and complaining. He takes a pot shot at Orr, who was loved by most fans that I personally know (outside of the small group of HFers who never did).

Also, I remember Donald having run ins with Hab management and I think Vancouvers too.

Not a good way to drum up respect from the fans. Hopefully we can purge this team of this mistake and both he and the Rangers can move on.

On a personal note, I hated the guys style of fighting and have always been more of a fan of a teams tough guy, not being the teams smack talker. I like that position for the more skilled player who is actually on the ice more than 3 mins a game and the type who is good enough to skate with the other teams top players, and get in their head at the same time.

Just me though.
Not a single word of that has anything to do with my post.

My post begins with "I hate Donald Brashear as a hockey player" and "I've never been a fan of his, at any point during his career". I talk about hating the signing and being furious upon finding out how much we'd be paying him. But I go on to simply say that the amount of straight up hatred that's being heaped upon him in this thread is just ridiculous. I didn't ever say Rangers fans should have liked him - I am one and I've wanted nothing to do with him from day 1, like everyone else.

What I did say was that Brashear is a human being and can't be blamed for the fact that he took what Sather offered nor for still wanting to play, even if his skills have regressed so far as to the point that he is literally useless. All I said was that it's ridiculous that a group of people, anonymous behind their computer screens, are seething about a guy for the simple fact that at 38 his skills are no longer present and he's asked to be traded from a team that isn't playing him. People here are literally posting like Brashear personally slept with their wives. As in so many other threads on these boards, people LOOK for a reason to bash someone and take joy in posting negative, hateful things... I just don't see the reason.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

HERE YE HERE YE!

We banish thee oh unwanted enforcer to thy waivers, shall noone pick you up thou are free to negogiate passage to thy motherland where thou can once again impose thy will on the slighly less agressive players of thy KHL!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:52 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcoholicb View Post
yeah, but at least Mayers can win faceoffs and skate.
good one !!!!

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Dear Glen Sather, thanks for not signing Colton Orr. He has been a good enforcer for us, and at a cheap price. Thanks for signing Brashear instead.
Love, Leafs.

Dear Brian Burke,

These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.

Love,
Rocky Denis

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Another failed signing.

How the hell does Sather still have a job?
Because Lil' Jimmy Dolan thinks he's just the bee's knees and swell! He should have been canned back in the spring of 2004. Instead, he'll get to name his successor, and move into a retirement position at MSG.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

i can hear Don Cherry now.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Neely Crew

O Boy.

Neely Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post

Mrs. Brashear, please. Your son is not liked and not wanted on our kickball team. He smells and is uncool. We dont want him. Now, stop explaining how good he can be if we picked him

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:17 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post

ok bad joke sorry

As a Canucks fan, seeing that play live at the time was one of the more sickening things I've witnessed during a hockey game. Brashear has little use as a player anymore, but people like McSorely have little use as a human being.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Just to be clear, if Brashear doesn't report to Hartford if he is assigned there, can we void his contract?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Hale Dunter

I think he did his job here in DC. Not sure I want him back at 38 but I would not be totally opposed if we got him for 1/2 price. He was popular with the fans.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Mrs. Brashear, please. Your son is not liked and not wanted on our kickball team. He smells and is uncool. We dont want him. Now, stop explaining how good he can be if we picked him
Again... this is your response to a post that starts with "I hate Donald Brashear"? Can you guys read? Or do you make a habit of only responding to posts you read 1/4 of? I'm not trying to convince anybody that Brashear is "good" at all... If you DID read you'd see me call him useless a number of times. All I said was the guy once WAS good and that I don't understand the HATE people are spewing just because he got a big offer from Sather and ended up not living up to it in NY and has now asked to be traded.

I'm as THRILLED as the next Rangers fan to be rid of Brash, be it via a waivers claim, trade or hopefully contract termination, but I don't understand why people take so much pleasure in being so hateful and negative about and towards people they've never met and know virtually nothing about, just because they're sitting comfortably at home behind their computer screen.

"Hate" has become a trend. Bashing people/things/ideas has become a hobby. People love to hate. I don't get it. All I said was that the more negative comments in this thread about Brashear deserving to collect garbage for a living and such were unnecessary; why can't we simply say "good riddance, you weren't a very good hockey player for us" without taking it to personal levels and saying such negative things? Obviously I'm not talking about this thread alone - the only thing I see more of on these boards than Ovie vs Sid banter is hate and insults.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I would love him back in DC. He was a great guy to have in the room and all the guys liked and respected him. He even wore the A on his sweater so you know Bruce trusted him.

He was a great forechecker and he made opposing dman hear footsteps when he was on the ice. It seemed like he enjoyed playing in DC and Bruce was able to get the best out of him. With a aggressive forechecking team like the caps he does well.

With Nylander of the books i think the caps might squeeze him in after they get their other priorities taken care of.

Would NY trade him for a 5th? You guys get something out of it and we take some salary of your book while getting back a great fourth line player.
I would do that in 1 second. Why you guys would give up a 5th rounder for him is beyond me, but I'm not arguing...

He may have been good in DC last year and in years past, but he is literally useless...he is not a good fighter anymore, and he's just too old.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Does Semenov have a basement suite in Russia?

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote