Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

ECHL Arena Regulations

Old
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
ECHL Arena Regulations

Does anyone know what the requirements for an ECHL arena are? I was just wondering if the Danbury Ice Arena in Danbury, CT would fit those. Thanks.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Does anyone know what the requirements for an ECHL arena are? I was just wondering if the Danbury Ice Arena in Danbury, CT would fit those. Thanks.
What kind of requirements are you looking for? I have been to a few and they are similar. I put some pics from the arena in Boise because they were handy. It only seats a little over 5,000 for hockey which is on the lower side of seating capacity. Stockton has one of the newest arenas so maybe check out thier website. It seats more than Boise but I think Boise has a better set up.
I'm sure Lady Stanley can give you a pretty good idea how they all stack up.

Last edited by Steelhead16: 03-22-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
pelts35.com

I don't know firsthand of the requirements, but compared to the various ECHL arenas that I have visited the Danbury Ice Arena does not meet those standards.

It's all bleacher seating, no heat inside the seating area and at the one Trashers game I went to there is no seating behind the goals or on the penalty box side of the rink.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Steelhead16

Didn't Bakersfield play in the Fox Theater back in the WCHL? Portable bleachers on the sides and most of the crowd at the one end.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
What kind of requirements are you looking for? I have been to a few and they are similar. I put some pics from the arena in Boise because they were handy. It only seats a little over 5,000 for hockey which is on the lower side of seating capacity. Stockton has one of the newest arenas so maybe check out thier website. It seats more than Boise but I think Boise has a better set up.
I'm sure Lady Stanley can give you a pretty good idea how they all stack up.
Really just trying to figure out if Danbury would be a viable arena for a ECHL team. It occurred to me that the Danbury Whalers of the new FHL are really the only active team in the league as of right now. It is a long way to go before the season is supposed to start in november but I just had a thought that maybe if the league did fold and this organization was still around and going strong that they could join the ECHL...especially since the Rangers will be looking for a new ECHL affiliate with their old one going to the AHL for the hurricanes.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:55 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

But they don't now.

Bakersfield has a very nice (intimate) arena. Smaller than some, but good sitelines, amenities.

AFAIK, there aren't any ECHL regulations, per se. But I'd assume that they'd like "modern" facilities, ~5000 capacity.

(IOW, if the rumor that Johnstown folds is true, I don't see the league enthusiastic about a new franchise there without a new facility. There have been stories for at least five years of leaks, roof collapses, etc.)

Toledo, for example, went dormant a couple of seasons while their new arena was built.

Stockton has a "end zone" that has collapsible seats (folds to the wall). Only for large events do they pull those seats out. Otherwise, they have a larger concourse area for activities (with the seats closed).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
FutureGM97

I emailed the ECHL and got this response:

Quote:
Mr. *******,

The ECHL requires that an arena have a capacity of at least 5,000 seats with locker rooms for both the home and visiting teams, medical and media facilities including a functional press box.

Regards,

Jack Carnefix
Senior Vice President of Communications/New Media
ECHL, Premier 'AA' Hockey League
So I guess the Danbury Ice Arena would not qualify for this. That is unfortunate. Danbury would be a fantastic city for a ECHL team.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
nosl

Arena

Seating wise, the Danbury Arena seems small. For a city of 78000, I'm surprised the the arena was built as small as it was in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danbury_Ice_Arena

If you can perhaps persuade the owners of the facility (whether it's the city or private) to expand to the facility to 5000 seats (you might be able to get away with 4500 or 4000), the ECHL might be interested in Danbury. I see that there is a Division 2 university team there. What kind of crowds do they draw?

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
Seating wise, the Danbury Arena seems small. For a city of 78000, I'm surprised the the arena was built as small as it was in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danbury_Ice_Arena

If you can perhaps persuade the owners of the facility (whether it's the city or private) to expand to the facility to 5000 seats (you might be able to get away with 4500 or 4000), the ECHL might be interested in Danbury. I see that there is a Division 2 university team there. What kind of crowds do they draw?
Without a major construction project which would also involve getting rid of the 2nd rink at the facility I don't see any way that the facility in Danbury could be expanded.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote