HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

How can you guys listen to Jack Edwards?

Old
02-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Corgidequebec

vCash: 500
How can you guys listen to Jack Edwards?

Seriously, watching NHL Network last night and Edward's call of the game and even the NHL Network guys were making fun of him. Brick is a serious knowledgeable hockey guy, I wonder how he can sit next to this clown. Wondering what B's fans think...

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

I love him... I love him because you hate him. Your hate endears him to us.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:19 AM
JMiller

Seems like a nice enough guy, but its hard to believe they couldn't find someone better for that job.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Corgidequebec

I must admit, that shot of the two habs fans wolfing down hotdogs before last Sundays game with Edward's going off was pure genious.

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:20 AM
rickya13dot

Send a message via AIM to rickya13dot
I hate him. He is a clown. I tend to watch games on mute.

rickya13dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgidequebec View Post
I must admit, that shot of the two habs fans wolfing down hotdogs before last Sundays game with Edward's going off was pure genious.
Really, the guys comedy relief. If you try to take him seriously you won't enjoy listening to him. If you realize he's hamming it up to the audience 9 times out of 10 then he's quite comical.

And even though he's comedy relief, he isn't uninformed like 90% of the other color guys out there. He tends to do his research, and is obviously quite knowledgeable of the game. You're not likely to see him refer to a player by the wrong name or get other facts wrong. He's quite obviously very biased towards the Bruins, but at least he's obvious about it. I can't stand the guys that pretend to be impartial but lose their **** every time the home team gets a penalty call.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:26 AM
BFonzy

Quote:
Seriously, watching NHL Network last night and Edward's call of the game and even the NHL Network guys were making fun of him. Brick is a serious knowledgeable hockey guy, I wonder how he can sit next to this clown. Wondering what B's fans think...
Edwards - an odd duck. Difficult to not appreciate the genuine enthusiasm he brings.

THAT being said, he is borderline intolerable and sounds like a moron/homer the majority of time. The way he starts yelling at times gets on my nerves.

He's an improvement over Dale Arnold...but that's not saying much.

Given how great Brick is, I guess the universe has to be balanced. Thus: His play-by-play partner must be Jack Edwards.

BFonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Johnny Postman

I love him. In fact I wish I was two people so I could love him twice as much.

Johnny Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Boston Bruno

Because I am watching on center ice, I do not always get Jack - but let me tell you, there are FAR worse than Edwards. Yeah, he is a homer and he is proud of it - but at least he is not disinterested or artificial like some of the other lame-oids on the air. He is very genuine in his passion.. When they originally opted to go with him over the other guy, I was pretty put off. I thought Edwards was a fake..he is'nt.

From that perspective though, I can totally see how other team fans would hate on him.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I love him... I love him because you hate him. Your hate endears him to us.
That's a large part of it. That combined with the fact that he does his hw makes him bearable.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:35 AM
39LongYears

Cant stand the guy. He's one of the worst commentators in the league...Last season he shouted out." Ping Pong Parking" I'm still trying to find out what that means???

39LongYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:37 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Couldn't find any of the 45 other threads on this topic from the last two years, eh?

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:37 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Postman View Post
I love him. In fact I wish I was two people so I could love him twice as much.
Wow, that's a lot of loving.

TJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:40 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
Edwards...<sigh>... he's special...

but he does his research, he has the excitement of a 12 year old boy looking a his first nudey magazine (NUDEY MAGAZINE, DAY!), and he loves his Bruins.

Sure - he's over the top and he can certainly be annoying.

But, I'd rather listen to him than say Jeanerrett (sp?) and others.

Last edited by flannelman: 02-12-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: sandler ref.
flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomTickyPuck View Post
Cant stand the guy. He's one of the worst commentators in the league...Last season he shouted out." Ping Pong Parking" I'm still trying to find out what that means???
Nobody knows what it means but it's provocative.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Ogie Ogilthorpe

I can't listen to him. I have said it before, he lessens my enjoyment of the game. It is a chore to listen to him. It angers me that he has that job.

Ogie Ogilthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:51 AM
MaCam

Edwards is awesome. I love how he gets into. The fact that he pisses off opposing team's fans is even better.

Much rather him than some of those monotone announcers who show no emotion whatsoever.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Technically he's the best Play by Play guy out there. I have yet to hear anyone quick enough to describe ongoing play. Each DtoD pass, poke, dish, he's able to rattle off. But do you really need that precise a description of what's going on? I think it starts to become too much information while watching a game, and at first I found it distracting. I suppose if your listening on radio it would be great, he's able to use euphemisms to describe quickly what's going on. Dish, spoon, cradle, dangle, A-Frame, chip, lob, rub, staple, ride. Then again from what I've read (I'm not that old), radio used to be more the vision in your head than what was actually going on, on the ice .

He does his homework, but for the intangibles he's still a little shaky, but at least admits it. For the most part he does refer to Brick when it comes to the personal aspects of the game.

He's a total homer, but who I don't really care. And I find the ying and yang of the two quite entertaining sometimes.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Waltah*

i generally like jack and enjoy listening to him and brick, brick being the more knowledgeable one. like others have said, the more others hate him the mor ei like and appreciate him. he's a homer for th e most part and thats what i like to hear. he can say stupid stuff though...such as last night "no way tmapa gets into this game unless they have a sudden flurry". he's a jinxer for sure

id also like to mention the chemeistry between him and brick. some of the stuff they joke about or when brick corrects him will actually make you laugh out loud. ive never had that with other announcers. great entertainment, im not the super serious tough guy thats afraid to admit i like a little entertainment value while i watch.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:56 AM
MaCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickya13dot View Post
I hate him. He is a clown. I tend to watch games on mute.
That must be fun.

You really don't like him that much, that you actually have to mute the game? Seems a little bit over dramatic to me.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:58 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

vCash: 50
I love him and his passion for the Bruins. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when he comes up with such stuff like: the Bruins are 16-0-0 when leading after two blablabla..... we all know what comes after.

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:04 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Jack has his strengths & his weaknesses.

He's definitely too over the top, and is (somewhat understandably) overly biased towards the team that pays him.

But he's among the most learned PBP guys in the league - he knows names/numbers/history/anecdotes for players on the other team, and that's not something that all PBP guys do. You can tell that he loves his job and takes the preparation part of it seriously.

I don't love Jack ... not even sure how much I like him ... but I'll take him over a lot of other PBP guys.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

i have heard a lot of radio guys better then edwards... but not alot of tv guys. i suppose the tv producers want alot of crap from their play by play guys... the homerism and the emotions and such

brickley is really really really good though and more then makes the broadcast a joy to listen to. i figure i know hockey pretty damn good myself, but i can usually feel i am learning something as i listen to brickley break down the plays and the game.

i was a fan of the old cusiek/sanderson team... it wasnt nearly as 'smart' as the current edwards/brick theam but they had some real farmilar comfort to them and had been around forwever. None of the broadcasters between then and now really impressed me alot. Dale Arnold was inoffensive though I think so he seemed fine to me if all I wanted to do was watch the game.

Edwards does make me laugh at times... Im sure it would annoy the fans of the other team, but last I checked Edwards was being paid to be the Bruin announcer. He doesnt make me cringe from a brutal lack of hockey knowledge like at least 1/2 of the announcers i get stuck listening to on NHL Center Ice and at least I dont catch him going on for 2 periods at a time about some missed call by the officials like certain canada announcers tend to do an aweful lot.

I wont shed tears if we end up trying someone else... im sure there are guys out there id like better... but the team of Edwards/Brickley is easy for this Bruin fan to listen too and I never really wonder how I manage it. Just being a fan is enough for me to keep the sound up and enjoy whatever I can learn from the game with the passion it gets delivered

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
FutureConsiderations

Newsflash: every play-by-play guy and every color commentator is a homer. Part of the job description now since it puts butts in the seats.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:09 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
No question,sometimes he gets on my nerves. Especially when he spouts enthusiasm when the other team scores.

But after reading the first post he has gone up in my estimation. If he's pissing Habs fans off he is definitely doing something right

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote