HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

February 23, 2010 update, post #84 (Emery out for 3 weeks, Feb. 11, 2010)

Old
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
They'll end up with ****ing Marty Biron and I will shoot my dog.
Well if they have any interest with the Isles, its on Roloston more then Marty.

But if its Biron, I'll start kicking your dog after you shoot him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Tommy D

At this Point I say screw it and just roll with Mikey. Somehow the puck stays out of our net fewer times then our guys put the puck in the other net <most nights>.

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well if they have any interest with the Isles, its on Roloston more then Marty.

But if its Biron, I'll start kicking your dog after you shoot him.

I wouldn't mind Rolly at all. Unless they can get a Price or other young guy without trading JvR or Giroux.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Rolo is harder to fit in cap wise than Biron. And is signed to a deal for next year. And is likely harder to acquire.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Rolo is harder to fit in cap wise than Biron. And is signed to a deal for next year. And is likely harder to acquire.
Well... Rolo is playing better then Biron this season... I kinda of want the better goalie.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well... Rolo is playing better then Biron this season... I kinda of want the better goalie.
How can we fit Rolo under the cap without making our team worse up front?

Best choice if Rinne or Ellis to me. Cheap and good

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
...and he's not Biron, which is why I'd prefer him.

Seriously, if the best Homer can do is Biron, stand pat and ride Leighton.

Old
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
This is just another ******** excuse to drag the case on and on and on...
Agreed. It's probably better for him to let him get surgery now if he needs it. Trying to play injured may be bad for his future- but then again I'm not a doctor or medically knowledgeable so I'm just pulling **** out of my ass.

edit: Though of course he might not want to get surgery now, as I'm guessing he probably would like to continue to play if he thinks he can.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
How can we fit Rolo under the cap without making our team worse up front?

Best choice if Rinne or Ellis to me. Cheap and good
I'd LOVE to have Rinne here... I do hope for him... but we would need to give up something of worth.

Old
02-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Like people have mentioned, I am sure that this has been said:

Doctor: It's likely that he'll need surgery.

Holmgren: Let's try waiting for a few weeks.

Doctor: Err... that's not how this injury heals. Surgery is the best option.

Holmgren: Let's try waiting a few weeks.
The scary part is I am sure this is accurate.

Look at this quote from the Inquirer:

Quote:
"Is he going to need surgery at some point? I would probably say, 'Yeah,' " Holmgren said. "Right now, we're trying to take that out of the equation. After three weeks, we're fairly confident that he'll be OK to play."
Link

Oh yeah the article goes on to say he won't be dealing for a goalie.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Oh yeah the article goes on to say he won't be dealing for a goalie.
As I said before, "2009-10 Brian Boucher: Unfinished Business"

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
As I said before, "2009-10 Brian Boucher: Unfinished Business"
I wish I had your optimism, seriously!

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
...and he's not Biron, which is why I'd prefer him.

Seriously, if the best Homer can do is Biron, stand pat and ride Leighton.
You don't want to ride Leighton into the playoffs. The moment teams get a 7 game series against us, and really break it down and cater their game to playing against us, it will likely get ugly. If you were game planning how to beat Leighton you would just tell everyone on the team to put the puck on net and get one forward to the net, and anyone available into the 10-20 foot area in front of the net where Leighton spits so many rebounds. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

It would be similar to watching Cechmanek get dismantled in the playoffs when teams got the scouting report and had time to adjust to the fact that he over-committed so much and so often.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1118
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._s_career.html

Quote:
MONTREAL - If goalie Ray Emery does have a torn hip labrum - as the Flyers have hinted - "it's fixable but career-threatening," said a doctor who used to work for the club.

"Any injury to a joint is potentially a career-challenging injury," Arthur Bartolozzi said. "It can affect your timing, your speed, your agility."

The labrum is a ring of fibrous cartilage around the edge of the joint surface of a bone.

The Flyers would not reveal what the MRI exam on Emery's injured left hip showed. Instead, they shut him down for three weeks in the hope the rest will enable him to return this season.

In that scenario, he probably would have surgery after the season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You don't want to ride Leighton into the playoffs. The moment teams get a 7 game series against us, and really break it down and cater their game to playing against us, it will likely get ugly. If you were game planning how to beat Leighton you would just tell everyone on the team to put the puck on net and get one forward to the net, and anyone available into the 10-20 foot area in front of the net where Leighton spits so many rebounds. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

It would be similar to watching Cechmanek get dismantled in the playoffs when teams got the scouting report and had time to adjust to the fact that he over-committed so much and so often.
I have no faith whatsoever in Biron. I agree that Leighton is probably not a playoff answer, but at the same time, I'd rather go down in flames with Leights than Biron.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I saw that. Interesting that the guy sued by Dave Babuch is chiming in.

Still, given the Flyers' handling of Emery's injury-at least as far as releasing information-one has to question it.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
I have no faith whatsoever in Biron. I agree that Leighton is probably not a playoff answer, but at the same time, I'd rather go down in flames with Leights than Biron.
If we get solid goaltending...we can come out of the East. Biron has proven himself more than capable of providing that in the playoffs the last two years.

Maybe Leighton remains hot, but I just don't see how good teams aren't going to smoke his ass when they get a look at where he puts all his rebounds and plan accordingly.

Outside of that terrible run (which is a factor in the season, but not necessarily an indicator of what we can do), this team is 29-12-2. That's 60 pts out of a possible 86, or roughly 114 pt pace.

I like our chances against NJ/BUF/OTT in the first round, and think we can take down the Caps if we get solid goaltending. Of course, if we get and remain hot in the final 22, I think you're looking at PIT in the first round, which would be an interesting series...yet again.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Biron is without a doubt a serviceable goaltender. He won't light the world on fire but very rarely does he cost you games. He single handedly (well, with some help from Umberger) won the Montreal series 2 years ago. I would MUCH prefer Biron to Leighton in the playoffs. I'm very thankful for Leighton's good play, but as I've said before, I think it's an aberration.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Like people have mentioned, I am sure that this has been said:

Doctor: It's likely that he'll need surgery.

Holmgren: Let's try waiting for a few weeks.

Doctor: Err... that's not how this injury heals. Surgery is the best option.

Holmgren: Let's try waiting a few weeks.
If this conversation happened word-for-word....I'd believe it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Biron is without a doubt a serviceable goaltender. He won't light the world on fire but very rarely does he cost you games. He single handedly (well, with some help from Umberger) won the Montreal series 2 years ago. I would MUCH prefer Biron to Leighton in the playoffs. I'm very thankful for Leighton's good play, but as I've said before, I think it's an aberration.
I can understand that point. Biron has had playoff success-Hell he was great against the Habs in 2008.

I think that one big point that is in Biron's favor is, that his weaknesses can be mitigated when he's on top of his game and focused. Not sure Leighton's can.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
If we get solid goaltending...we can come out of the East. Biron has proven himself more than capable of providing that in the playoffs the last two years.

Maybe Leighton remains hot, but I just don't see how good teams aren't going to smoke his ass when they get a look at where he puts all his rebounds and plan accordingly.

Outside of that terrible run (which is a factor in the season, but not necessarily an indicator of what we can do), this team is 29-12-2. That's 60 pts out of a possible 86, or roughly 114 pt pace.

I like our chances against NJ/BUF/OTT in the first round, and think we can take down the Caps if we get solid goaltending. Of course, if we get and remain hot in the final 22, I think you're looking at PIT in the first round, which would be an interesting series...yet again.
You make a valid point. If Marty was as good a goalie as he is a guy, he'd be a no brainer and making that $5mm a year

Old
02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
You make a valid point. If Marty was as good a goalie as he is a guy, he'd be a no brainer and making that $5mm a year
What's really interesting is that we have a decent shot at a 100 point season, as our final 22 games is not a murders row.

Should Win
50/50
Probable Loss

Tue, Mar 2 @ Tampa Bay
Wed, Mar 3 @ Florida
Fri, Mar 5 @ Buffalo
Sun, Mar 7 Toronto
Tue, Mar 9 NY Islanders
Thu, Mar 11 Boston
Sat, Mar 13 Chicago
Sun, Mar 14 @ NY Rangers
Tue, Mar 16 @ Nashville
Thu, Mar 18 @ Dallas
Sat, Mar 20 @ Atlanta
Sun, Mar 21 Atlanta
Tue, Mar 23 @ Ottawa
Thu, Mar 25 Minnesota
Sat, Mar 27 @ Pittsburgh
Sun, Mar 28 New Jersey
Thu, Apr 1 @ NY Islanders
Fri, Apr 2 Montreal
Sun, Apr 4 Detroit
Tue, Apr 6 @ Toronto
Fri, Apr 9 @ NY Rangers
Sun, Apr 11 NY Rangers

Assuming we split the 50/50s, that's a roughly 14-7-1...which seems quite reasonable. Those 29 points would get us to 96 pts. Gives us an outside shot at still getting to a 100 pt regular season.

Paul Holmgren should be approaching this goaltending situation as if we are one of the dangerous teams in the East...because, IMO, we are.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
What's really interesting is that we have a decent shot at a 100 point season, as our final 22 games is not a murders row.

Should Win
50/50
Probable Loss

Tue, Mar 2 @ Tampa Bay
Wed, Mar 3 @ Florida
Fri, Mar 5 @ Buffalo
Sun, Mar 7 Toronto
Tue, Mar 9 NY Islanders
Thu, Mar 11 Boston
Sat, Mar 13 Chicago
Sun, Mar 14 @ NY Rangers
Tue, Mar 16 @ Nashville
Thu, Mar 18 @ Dallas
Sat, Mar 20 @ Atlanta
Sun, Mar 21 Atlanta
Tue, Mar 23 @ Ottawa
Thu, Mar 25 Minnesota
Sat, Mar 27 @ Pittsburgh
Sun, Mar 28 New Jersey
Thu, Apr 1 @ NY Islanders
Fri, Apr 2 Montreal
Sun, Apr 4 Detroit
Tue, Apr 6 @ Toronto
Fri, Apr 9 @ NY Rangers
Sun, Apr 11 NY Rangers

Assuming we split the 50/50s, that's a roughly 14-7-1...which seems quite reasonable. Those 29 points would get us to 96 pts. Gives us an outside shot at still getting to a 100 pt regular season.

Paul Holmgren should be approaching this goaltending situation as if we are one of the dangerous teams in the East...because, IMO, we are.
It'll be interesting to see how he handles it, regardless.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
lancer247

Jonas Hedberg?

Being realistic about who we can fit in with our cap situation how does a guy like Jonas Hedberg sound? ATL has some young goalies coming up and he is an UFA.
Voukon/Turco - we would have to give up a major piece upfront to get 'em.
Roloson - not as expensive but would have to give up a significant player to fit his 2.25MM.

Hedberg/Biron - neither are great but both have playoff experience, cheap cap hit, and could be had in smaller package.

Rinne - Seems like wishful thinking. Especially with very few draft picks available.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Being realistic about who we can fit in with our cap situation how does a guy like Jonas Hedberg sound? ATL has some young goalies coming up and he is an UFA.
Voukon/Turco - we would have to give up a major piece upfront to get 'em.
Roloson - not as expensive but would have to give up a significant player to fit his 2.25MM.

Hedberg/Biron - neither are great but both have playoff experience, cheap cap hit, and could be had in smaller package.

Rinne - Seems like wishful thinking. Especially with very few draft picks available.
I think you mean Johan Hedberg. Hard to believe at one time he was Flyers property. I think the Flyers either dealt his rights or let him walk and he signed as a free agent with Pittsburgh. Anyways, he'd be a great back up, but wouldn't be the starter you want come playoff time.

I've talked to a few scouts here in London and from what they've heard around their circles, Holmgren is trying to swing a deal for Turco. The problem though is that Dallas isn't in any sort of rush to move to Turco and should they decide to move Turco, they aren't looking at swapping him for a contract like Hartnell's. Dallas management feels that Turco is still a very good asset that can land a high draft pick, top prospect and young roster player, even with his pending UFA status and his age being 35. So, unless Dallas decides to drop their asking price, they're going to be stuck with Turco and Lehtonen as their goalies and they're going to lose Turco for nothing once he hits UFA status.

Honestly, the Flyers are screwed with regards to goaltending. The Islanders want a second for Biron and when you take a look around the league, nobody is offering up any goaltenders. It might just be in the Flyers best interest to take a look at someone like a Corey Schneider or any other goalie who might be an NHLer, but is stuck in the AHL because their parent team already has a number one.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote