HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How can you guys listen to Jack Edwards?

Old
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

vCash: 500
Jack does call a good game play-by-play wise and does have enough passion that I'm pretty sure Habs fans think he speaks French (if he did speak French then I know they'd want him up there). For the most part I find him funny though he lacks hockey knowledge. Last night when the phantom calls came up he started saying how the Downie "fight" gave Tampa momentum and that's why they had started to get it going....right after Brick said it was phantom calls and some luck that got Tampa going, leading to Brick sounding like he was about to tell off Edwards and me actually telling him to stop. It's times like those that I can't stand him, otherwise though I find it funny.

Oh and I always find it funny that he's considered the biggest 'homer' out there. I listen to alot of other games around the league and their announcers at times will really go off bashing other teams or being unenthusiastic about solid play coming from the other team. While Jack loves the Bruins and gets excited when Looch throws a big hit or a pretty goal is scored, he always seems to have excitement about the other team making great plays and always highlights guys out there that play the game well and that he'd love to have in a B's jersey.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Moog Prodigy

As has been noted, Edwards at least knows his stuff, the rest is aesthetics and that's in the ear of the beholder. Cusick/Sanderson were the gold standard for me growing up, but maybe they were like Mom's meatloaf (you can have meatloaf anywhere, but none are as good as your mother's). Though, Cusick was tough the last couple of years, seeing appiritions of Espisito on the ice, confusing Bourque for Orr, think Gil Santos calling hockey. When i played college hockey south of Buffalo I couldn't stand Jeanneret - the guy sounds like William S Burroughs hopped up on goofballs yelling through a coffee can - but he's an institution out there. At the end of the day, Edwards knows his stuff doesn't take himself too seriously, and i've gotta say i've gotten used to his quirks. I could use less composite stick rants, or "Gretzky's Office" nonsense, but Stewart Scott's been using that "Other side of the pillow" schtick for god knows how long as well, it's just entertainment.

Moog Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:40 AM
TuukkaTime

Love Jack Edwards.

TuukkaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
BeardBros
Everything hurt more

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt thrower View Post
I love him and his passion for the Bruins. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when he comes up with such stuff like: the Bruins are 16-0-0 when leading after two blablabla..... we all know what comes after.
^ This. "It'll take a miracle for St. Louis to win this game now"
The man is an absolute jinx at times.

BeardBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
blurbruin

I really don't mind Jack. I think some times, like when he said "Downie wants his mommy" or something like that it can get a little juvenile, but otherwise he's fine.

blurbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJ17 View Post
LOL!

Whenever he starts babbling out the "oh the Bruins are "this obscure record" when leading after whatever". I cringe! Last night was no different. I was watching the game, we were winning by 3 and jack spouted out some stupid stats, and all I could think was "alright, we got ourselves a game now" lol. Damn you Jinx Edwards!

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
He is the Yin to Brick's Yang...

(wait... Can you say that on a message board?)

He is the Anti-Brick...
A match made in heaven... Or h-e-double-hockey-sticks... I haven't figured out which yet
The bolded statement is a very good way to describe Jack;

Brick is knowledgeable, professional and classy.

Then there's Jack.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Newsflash: every play-by-play guy and every color commentator is a homer. Part of the job description now since it puts butts in the seats.
This. Jack is just excited when he's commentating, so he gets called out.

Honestly, at least he knows his stuff. The Tampa guys last night were just awful, just like good ol' JR for Buffalo.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJ17 View Post
10 minutes left in the 3rd, "the bruins are on the way to winning their 3rd straight..."

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
With each passing year Brickley makes John Pierson a very proud CC for Boston hockey.
When Brickley was on the B's, Peirson would appear in between periods of the TV-38 broadcasts doing his "Peirson's Pointers" segments and he called Brick "Andy Brinkley" all the time. It used to drive me nuts.

So, there's some irony to your post bringing up Peirson vis a vis Brick.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Jack says crazy stuff that sometimes makes me facepalm. But he's usually pretty damn funny. His enthusiasm is infectious. He does tons of research, is lightning fast keeping up with the play, has great player recognition. He's commented that he spends most of his waking time researching the next game, the team they're going against, the players, and poring over stats.

The guy basically eats, drinks, sleeps, and breathes hockey... Bruins hockey.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
dabid

I will work for NESN for free if they fire Edwards and hire me over him.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:39 AM
ALinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
No question,sometimes he gets on my nerves. Especially when he spouts enthusiasm when the other team scores.

But after reading the first post he has gone up in my estimation. If he's pissing Habs fans off he is definitely doing something right
Everytime another announcer butchers a name, omits an important fact or anytihng else, I like Edwards even more. He is a Bruins fan and is about as prepared for a game as any announcer I've ever heard in any sport. Moreover, I like for him how every game isn't an individual entity, he talks like a fan that's been watching all season.

He is like Tommy Heinsohn but isn't constantly whining and has respect for the other teams.

ALinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I love him... I love him because you hate him. Your hate endears him to us.
this x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Really, the guys comedy relief. If you try to take him seriously you won't enjoy listening to him. If you realize he's hamming it up to the audience 9 times out of 10 then he's quite comical.

And even though he's comedy relief, he isn't uninformed like 90% of the other color guys out there. He tends to do his research, and is obviously quite knowledgeable of the game. You're not likely to see him refer to a player by the wrong name or get other facts wrong. He's quite obviously very biased towards the Bruins, but at least he's obvious about it. I can't stand the guys that pretend to be impartial but lose their **** every time the home team gets a penalty call.
this also x2

at least he doesn't say "and you can slap me silly Sidney"

i mean seriously, another thread about jack edwards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Newsflash: every play-by-play guy and every color commentator is a homer. Part of the job description now since it puts butts in the seats.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

i'm not a big fan of when he has a man crush on teams like chicago (that was the worst game of his i've seen this season)...

but what i'm more annoyed by is when sports update shows (such as today on thescore here in canada) the voice over guy (or girl in this case) makes fun of edwards on the ryder/wheeler goal "the best goal of the season...really?!" despite the fact that if she'd paid ANY attention to her job, she'd realize he's talking best BRUINS goal of the season.

he went a little overboard on the chara/downie thing though haha...that was just embarassing.

PS - i'd love downie on this team! he's hated league wide...which means he's doing his job. I know he's got a flew blips on his resume, but he's 100% intense, 100% of the time...and he's no ryan hollweg.

BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

I think a lot of people judge based on a few youtube clips. At one point during yesterday's game, I was listening carefully and he called out the name of every player who had the puck on both teams for about 4 minutes straight.

When I watch a lot of other broadcasts it's like.

"phil kessel dumps it in ... the defenseman picks it up ... Bozak is in on the forecheck ... the defenseman moves it up and they're coming up the wing... he's watched by Ponikarovski ... the shot .... and THE MONSTER with the save... he clears it away to Kaberle."

Edwards calls both teams and I really, really like that.

But I would advise anyone to listen to a Habs game on the radio in french some time. Even if you don't understand a word the guy is saying, it's amazing. Every play feels like it's the last minute of the Stanley Cup. The play-by-play guy is gasping for air the whole time. He's easily the best in the business IMO.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
How hard is it to switch channels ? I'm pretty sure NESN has much better ratings since hiring him, they can afford losing you.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

hey center ice'ers in canada...

i'm guessing there is no way to get NESN up here? I see a few of you complaining about Lightning broadcasters...and that's disappointing.

starting to wonder if it's even worth getting center ice anymore...as odd as it sounds, i watch the games for Brick and Edwards as much as I do for the Bruins...that and you get Bruins news/info rather than hearing about 2 dollar discount tickets that come with a free 40 of wisers...

so yeah....no nesn availability on canadian television? (i'm in kingston if it matters)

BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

I was critical of Edwards until I listened to a few games announced by other regional play-by-play guys. Jack is good to very good by comparison.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallroomBitz View Post
hey center ice'ers in canada...

i'm guessing there is no way to get NESN up here? I see a few of you complaining about Lightning broadcasters...and that's disappointing.

starting to wonder if it's even worth getting center ice anymore...as odd as it sounds, i watch the games for Brick and Edwards as much as I do for the Bruins...that and you get Bruins news/info rather than hearing about 2 dollar discount tickets that come with a free 40 of wisers...

so yeah....no nesn availability on canadian television? (i'm in kingston if it matters)
Usually it's NESN for home games.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
doubleculprit

It's true, Jack can be a bit much at times. That being said, you could do allot worse. The guy in Buffalo is fingernails on a chalk board if you ask me. I can't stand Stan Fischler in Jersey. Then again there's not allot of redeemable qualities from Jersey in general. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

doubleculprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
I think a lot of people judge based on a few youtube clips. At one point during yesterday's game, I was listening carefully and he called out the name of every player who had the puck on both teams for about 4 minutes straight.

When I watch a lot of other broadcasts it's like.

"phil kessel dumps it in ... the defenseman picks it up ... Bozak is in on the forecheck ... the defenseman moves it up and they're coming up the wing... he's watched by Ponikarovski ... the shot .... and THE MONSTER with the save... he clears it away to Kaberle."

Edwards calls both teams and I really, really like that.

But I would advise anyone to listen to a Habs game on the radio in french some time. Even if you don't understand a word the guy is saying, it's amazing. Every play feels like it's the last minute of the Stanley Cup. The play-by-play guy is gasping for air the whole time. He's easily the best in the business IMO.
youre right on both points. edwards always seems to know every player on the ice, including #/home town/college/player history/family history/what he ate for lunch last saturday.

and the habs radio announcer is hilarious to listen to. i dont speak french, but the excitement level of that man is worth hearing.

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
After Steve Downie rammed Dennis Wideman into the glass from behind with less than a minute left last night, the Tampa Bay announcers accused Wideman of trying to draw a penalty. By getting his face plastered into the glass from behind by a headhunter.

There is no merit really in saying Jack Edwards is more of a homer than any other announcer - he's more vocal about it at times, but he's also quick to give opposing players credit when it's deserved, and knows his stuff better than any play by play guy out there. If I had a dollar for every time the announcer for some backwards/uninformed/ignorant announcer incorrectly states that Chara was Wideman's partner last year...

Last edited by pedrospecialk: 02-12-2010 at 11:08 AM.
pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
bigfrank21
Chara spoons it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
<snip>

id also like to mention the chemeistry between him and brick. some of the stuff they joke about or when brick corrects him will actually make you laugh out loud.
</snip>
totally agree here -
last night when the B's were up big
jack quips to brick "so can I dryclean this suit?" (as he's worn it for the last 2 wins as well)
and brick comes back "nope"...
jack is impressed with the no hesitation response and they go back and forth.
brick justifies saying "sometimes less is more"
and jack chimes in "you know I've heard that before...".
they both got a chuckle out of that, so did I.

i'm pretty sure jack is aware of his critics and that he augments his natural personality during the broadcast. definitely glad we have the pair we do.
THIS THREAD IS VIBRATING!!!

Last edited by bigfrank21: 02-12-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: big jack?
bigfrank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Ogie Ogilthorpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
How hard is it to switch channels ? I'm pretty sure NESN has much better ratings since hiring him, they can afford losing you.

If you think people watch games to listen to that moron your nuts. People are going to watch the games if they like hockey. I can't stand Edwards, he doesn't know why many whistles are blown, or seemingly what it is like to play any organized team sport, but I still watch because I love the bruins. I would enjoy it much more if a professional were doing the play by play.

Ogie Ogilthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote