HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if we lost and no one cared?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2010, 04:47 PM
  #126
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Really? Do yourself a favour and use spellcheck before you try to flex your grey matter to belittle someone. Penner is our leading scorer. Are you soft in the head? Shremp, Smid, Penner, JDD, Nilsson, Brule, got nowhere with Curly. Our record is meaningless. Again I ask you, would Mactavish be doing any better with this club? When was the last time he had to go over sixty games with no nhl goalie?
He was afraid to use JDD at all never mind ride him for sixty two games.
Watch them play Sonny. Look at the record.
When he had the 3 headed monster.
My god, you clearly had no idea last year, & you are furthur embarassing yourself.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
  #127
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Watch them play Sonny. Look at the record.
When he had the 3 headed monster.
My god, you clearly had no idea last year, & you are furthur embarassing yourself.
You have nothing new to say so why post the same garbage over and over again?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
  #128
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You have any other explanation? Would love to hear it. The entire fan base is screaming, btching and moaning to get rid of Penner, so he did. No surprise there. Obviously Mactavish was wrong about Penner. And Schremp for that matter. And Horcoff. And Reddox etc...
If the previous coaching staff was so incompetent (as you claim) then how is it you can suggest that Tambo should be using their evaluation of players to decide who stays and who goes? How is it that an incompetent coach, who was fired months before, has the ability to influence the decisions management makes with players for the next season?
That doesn't make sense and completely undermines your positon.
Clearly you want things both ways here. Either Tambo needed to evaluate the players under a new coaching staff or he had already evaluated the players under the old staff. It has to be one or the other and if its the former then a fired coaches input on players is meaningless...no? Your desire to pin everything on MacT is getting to be ridiculous.
Now (possibly in an attempt to muddy the waters a little ) you are trying to convince me that the fan base forced a move...absolute nonsense.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
  #129
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Really? Do yourself a favour and use spellcheck before you try to flex your grey matter to belittle someone. Penner is our leading scorer. Are you soft in the head? Shremp, Smid, Penner, JDD, Nilsson, Brule, got nowhere with Curly. Our record is meaningless. Again I ask you, would Mactavish be doing any better with this club? When was the last time he had to go over sixty games with no nhl goalie?

He was afraid to use JDD at all never mind ride him for sixty two games.
Cogliano, Moreau, Horcoff, Souray, Grebeskov, Gilbert have got nowhere with Quinn. What exactly is the difference? Ripping on MacT is fine but it is foolish to not paint Quinn with the same brush wouldn't you agree?

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
  #130
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I dont believe its the coaches fault. If anything this year has shown (& confirmed what I already knew), the heartless/ball less/talent less roster is where the problem lies.Id just think that anyone watching with a clue who would compare the records & the play from this year to last,connect the dots , excercise some logical thinking , & actually watch hockey could figure that one out.
Alas, its too much for some
Quoted for truth.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:44 PM
  #131
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
If the previous coaching staff was so incompetent (as you claim) then how is it you can suggest that Tambo should be using their evaluation of players to decide who stays and who goes? How is it that an incompetent coach, who was fired months before, has the ability to influence the decisions management makes with players for the next season?
That doesn't make sense and completely undermines your positon.
Clearly you want things both ways here. Either Tambo needed to evaluate the players under a new coaching staff or he had already evaluated the players under the old staff. It has to be one or the other and if its the former then a fired coaches input on players is meaningless...no? Your desire to pin everything on MacT is getting to be ridiculous.
Now (possibly in an attempt to muddy the waters a little ) you are trying to convince me that the fan base forced a move...absolute nonsense.
Nonsense is believing Mactavish had no influence on who was up for trade. Two of the three pieces in the Heatley trade were in the Macdoghouse. Care to dispute that? If you dont think that fan uproar (ie paying customers) has an effect on player movement then you havent been paying attention. Just ask Jason Arnott, Tom Poti and Joffrey Lupul. All players that are still in the league, contributing and doing as good or better than when they were here. They were also fan whipping boys.

As far as Tambellini still being in evaluation mode, Im sorry but a competent gm doesnt need two years to figure out who should stay and who should go.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
  #132
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Cogliano, Moreau, Horcoff, Souray, Grebeskov, Gilbert have got nowhere with Quinn. What exactly is the difference? Ripping on MacT is fine but it is foolish to not paint Quinn with the same brush wouldn't you agree?
There are questions to be sure. Give me another seven years and you can have your answer. Putting Quinn on the firing line because he hasnt had the benefit of nhl goaltending or two good players to rub together all year is a little premature.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:36 PM
  #133
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
There are questions to be sure. Give me another seven years and you can have your answer. Putting Quinn on the firing line because he hasnt had the benefit of nhl goaltending or two good players to rub together all year is a little premature.
Nobodies trying to fire Quinn. The point was those that blamed MacT last season should take note that he was the least of our problems...

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
  #134
Malice430
Registered User
 
Malice430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
and you are overestimating us in a situation like this. like i said earlier its like a curse. no matter how good the Kings are playing or how bad the opponent is playing the Kings always find a way to break an opposing team's losing streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
You really think this ****** ass team will beat your team.Look at your last 10 games your team is 9-1-0.Look at our last 10 2-8-0 .


The kings will beat us and the game won't even be at all close.
see...i told you so

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:17 AM
  #135
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nonsense is believing Mactavish had no influence on who was up for trade. Two of the three pieces in the Heatley trade were in the Macdoghouse. Care to dispute that? If you dont think that fan uproar (ie paying customers) has an effect on player movement then you havent been paying attention. Just ask Jason Arnott, Tom Poti and Joffrey Lupul. All players that are still in the league, contributing and doing as good or better than when they were here. They were also fan whipping boys.

As far as Tambellini still being in evaluation mode, Im sorry but a competent gm doesnt need two years to figure out who should stay and who should go.
The fans as a rule do not dictate which players are expendable. If they did then this organization would be an even bigger joke. Arnott created an issue because of some poor personal decisions so the parallel between Arnott and Penner simply doesn't exist. As for Lupul and Poti you have zero evidence that they were traded because the fans demanded it. They were poor a poor fit from a hockey perspective that should have been obvious to anyone paying attention.
All that aside you are missing the point entirely and still fail to see why your position is flawed. This team under a new coach has been a fail. No purposeful forecheck...poor bench decisions on 5x5 the PK and the PP...no effective defensive system....questionable tactics when dealing with the team in the media. Your man has added to the reasons on why this team has failed and your method of rationalizing everything (including Tambos questionable decisions) is to suggest that its still the old coaches fault.
Its ridiculous and the fact that you continue to defend this position is laughable.


Last edited by guymez: 02-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
  #136
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The fans as a rule do not dictate which players are expendable. If they did then this organization would be an even bigger joke. Arnott created an issue because of some poor personal decisions so the parallel between Arnott and Penner simply doesn't exist. As for Lupul and Poti you have zero evidence that they were traded because the fans demanded it. They were poor a poor fit from a hockey perspective that should have been obvious to anyone paying attention.
All that aside you are missing the point entirely and still fail to see why your position is flawed. This team under a new coach has been a fail. No purposeful forecheck...poor bench decisions on 5x5 the PK and the PP...no effective defensive system....questionable tactics when dealing with the team in the media. Your man has added to the reasons on why this team has failed and your method of rationalizing everything is to suggest that its still the old coaches fault.
Its ridiculous and the fact that you continue to defend this position is laughable.

There are questions about Quinn to be sure. I think it would be fair to wait until he has a full roster before he gets canned. It isnt going to happen this year. So you may as well accept that fact and move on.


Last edited by I am the Liquor: 02-12-2010 at 09:57 AM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
  #137
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,906
vCash: 500
Interesting discussion.

As i said many times last year, the many posters that layed all the blame at mactavish's feet were wrong. It was time for a change but he was never the biggest problem.

Blaming the present coaching staff for this year is frankly assinine! The team is going to end the year with over 400 man games lost to injury! On a team that when healthy was a longshot to make the playoffs, the results really are not that surprising.

I am not blaming everything on injuries. The veterans who are supposed to lead this team have been awful! But, in the long run this result may turn out to be positive. It has forced ownership and management to stick to one direction which is the rebuild and most likely we will get a tool (seguin or hall) to build around.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
  #138
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
There are questions about Quinn to be sure. I think it would be fair to wait until he has a full roster before he gets canned. It isnt going to happen this year. So you may as well accept that fact and move on.
I am not suggesting Quinn should be canned...I am suggesting that that he is a contributor to the teams poor performance this season along with Tambo and Katz. My hope is that the coaching staff will use this season to improve for next season possibly by redistributing the responsibilities. However, the main point I am contesting is that the failure this season (which looks like it will be a positive from a drafting standpoint) has nothing to do with MacT.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
  #139
mactforcoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Drayton Valley Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
There are questions about Quinn to be sure. I think it would be fair to wait until he has a full roster before he gets canned. It isnt going to happen this year. So you may as well accept that fact and move on.
People were also wrong about MacT. So you might as well accept that fact and move on.

Schremp is no longer an Oiler. So others might as well accept that fact and move on.

Horcoff has a signed contract with the Oilers. So everyone might as well .... you get the picture.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM
  #140
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
People were also wrong about MacT. So you might as well accept that fact and move on.

Schremp is no longer an Oiler. So others might as well accept that fact and move on.

Horcoff has a signed contract with the Oilers. So everyone might as well .... you get the picture.
Thanks for admitting you were wrong about Mact. It takes a big person to admit that. Kudos for pledging to move on as well. Nice to see we can find some common ground.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
  #141
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
There are questions about Quinn to be sure. I think it would be fair to wait until he has a full roster before he gets canned. It isnt going to happen this year. So you may as well accept that fact and move on.
I think this is only fair. Although I do have some questions about Quinn's coaching such as line matching, the lineup this year has really been decimated by injury. I do wonder about the defense though - for the most part it's been relatively intact (minus Souray) but it's overall performance has been pretty poor - but I wonder if that was more the influence (and loss) of Charlie Huddy.

As for MacT, I agree with IATD that the time had come for a change (and I'm a MacT supporter). But I never for once thought that MacT was the sole or even top reason for the Oiler's inconsistent performance the last several years, I've always maintained that it was the awful lineup that was being iced.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.