HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So many tales of woe already...

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 11:48 AM
zurg999

vCash: 500
So many tales of woe already...

based on a few preseason games. C'mon guys, think positive...

One of the main problems with the team last year was the inability to gain control and clear the puck from our end, resulting in an awful lot of extra opposition chances. A a lot of that was due to the kind of ice time Brisebois and Traverse were getting.

Montreal will be an improved team this year, due to Rivet and Souray being healthy, and a more experienced Komisarek. Brisebois can play a role more suited to him. I hope Hainsey can stick with the team, adding some much needed puck movement in the transition.

This year we'll win a lot more battles down low. I think the playoffs are more than realistic, if the defense can stay intact.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:01 PM
RIWhaler

Send a message via AIM to RIWhaler
Wowza

I don't see that much improvement in a team that shows little to no passion. I love the fans on this board that bash the hell out of a guy like Brisebois. Sure, the man leaves a lot to be desired, but so does every other Canadiens player that's put on the sweater for ten years (minus Gilmour). Honestly, even the Boston crowd is starting to feel bad for this organization as opposed to dishing out constant hate. Certainly, this team may end up making the playoffs this year. But you gotta admit this - if they do, it's gonna be by winning 2-1 games in a season featuring two exciting games and 80 defensive snooze-fests. Is that what Canadiens fans are willing to accept after ten years of mediocrity? God save the Habs.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
based on a few preseason games. C'mon guys, think positive...

One of the main problems with the team last year was the inability to gain control and clear the puck from our end, resulting in an awful lot of extra opposition chances. A a lot of that was due to the kind of ice time Brisebois and Traverse were getting.

Montreal will be an improved team this year, due to Rivet and Souray being healthy, and a more experienced Komisarek. Brisebois can play a role more suited to him. I hope Hainsey can stick with the team, adding some much needed puck movement in the transition.

This year we'll win a lot more battles down low. I think the playoffs are more than realistic, if the defense can stay intact.
Ok, my blood is boiling today...

Yes Montreal will "improve" but only because they're going to give some kids some much needed experience to play. Our veterans are the problems if you ask me.

<RANT>
The reason I am panicking is because I'm sick and tired of missing the playoffs. Living in Toronto is unbearable for me because I have to drive to work during the playoffs and see all of those fricken Leaf flags on cars. I can't stand it. I hate the way I see the Leafs fighting to the end and watching our guys wilt under any sort of pressure. It never used to be like this. I remember the days of Mike McPhee and Bobby Smith and Bob Gainey. The days that being a hab meant something to our players. The days that in the end the boys did us proud year in and year out. The major difference between Toronto Maple Leaf fans and Montreal Canadiens fans are our expectations and that's pretty much it. We're both VERY passionate about our teams but our expectations MUST be higher. We cannot turn into fans that will support anything they put on the ice. The Leafs will always sell out and will never demonstrate their displeasure. Habs fans SHOULD always expect the organization to strive to be that much better, we have to expect something from our players, SOMETHING, ANYTHING. Show me something to cheer for. Of course I'll cheer no matter what, but give me a break here! We need some heroes wearing our jerseys. We need some heart and soul.
</RANT>

I want my habs back.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Ok, my blood is boiling today...

Yes Montreal will "improve" but only because they're going to give some kids some much needed experience to play. Our veterans are the problems if you ask me.

<RANT>
The reason I am panicking is because I'm sick and tired of missing the playoffs. Living in Toronto is unbearable for me because I have to drive to work during the playoffs and see all of those fricken Leaf flags on cars. I can't stand it. I hate the way I see the Leafs fighting to the end and watching our guys wilt under any sort of pressure. It never used to be like this. I remember the days of Mike McPhee and Bobby Smith and Bob Gainey. The days that being a hab meant something to our players. The days that in the end the boys did us proud year in and year out. The major difference between Toronto Maple Leaf fans and Montreal Canadiens fans are our expectations and that's pretty much it. We're both VERY passionate about our teams but our expectations MUST be higher. We cannot turn into fans that will support anything they put on the ice. The Leafs will always sell out and will never demonstrate their displeasure. Habs fans SHOULD always expect the organization to strive to be that much better, we have to expect something from our players, SOMETHING, ANYTHING. Show me something to cheer for. Of course I'll cheer no matter what, but give me a break here! We need some heroes wearing our jerseys. We need some heart and soul.
</RANT>

I want my habs back.

Cap

Building properly takes time.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Kirk Muller

I am just wondering what Montreal fans really want? All offseason we have heard from multiple posters that they want this team to play their rookies, give them experience etc etc. But damnit, we are three preseason games in, and people are already *****ing about loses. Preseason for crying in the sink.

What is it people want? Don't say you want the rookies to play, and get experience, than be pissed off they are losing despite giving great effort like we have already seen. What did we hear last year, we want our guys to at least play with heart, they are doing it and still losing but people still complain.

Do you know what, if you want to win now and make the playoffs, Bob Gainey could simply trade all these so called great prospects that everyone wants to play, and get some immediate help.

My god this is going to be a long season, but I don't think it has anything to do with wins and loses.

You're damned if you do and you're don't. Overall Montreal fans are the worst in sports for this.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIWhaler
Certainly, this team may end up making the playoffs this year. But you gotta admit this - if they do, it's gonna be by winning 2-1 games in a season featuring two exciting games and 80 defensive snooze-fests. Is that what Canadiens fans are willing to accept after ten years of mediocrity? God save the Habs.

If I remember it correctly, you may have just described the 1992/93 season in a nutshell.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:08 AM
RIWhaler

>If I remember it correctly, you may have just described the 1992/93 season in a nutshell.<

A team with 102 points and well over 300 goals is not too shabby. Even in that day in age, when goal-scoring was quite prevelant. That team had several 30-goal scorers (Bellows, Muller, Dammphousse, even Lebeau), and defensemen who actually knew how to play the position with courage and fearlessness. The 92/93 team played some of the most exciting hockey of that playoff year - whether anyone here remembers it or not, who knows? The Stanley Cup final, while only five games, featured some BREATHTAKING hockey - especially the games in Los Angeles. When was the last time Montreal fans saw a breathtaking hockey game? Or hockey fans in general, for that matter?

Old
09-25-2003, 07:21 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Living in Toronto is unbearable for me because I have to drive to work during the playoffs and see all of those fricken Leaf flags on cars. I can't stand it.
I know what you mean. One of my biggest pet peeves. I hate those flags on the cars. One of these nights, i'm going to rip those freakin flags on each one i see... they are everywhere!

Old
09-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Corey

Patience, patience. The Habs have more to look forward to in 3 years than the Leafs. Then we can drive along Yonge Street with flags that display a natural-colored (reddish brown or brownish red) maple leaf instead of the sickly blue AND flags with the fleur de lys.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:49 AM
zurg999

[QUOTE=RIWhaler A team with 102 points and well over 300 goals is not too shabby. Even in that day in age, when goal-scoring was quite prevelant. That team had several 30-goal scorers (Bellows, Muller, Dammphousse, even Lebeau), and defensemen who actually knew how to play the position with courage and fearlessness. The 92/93 team played some of the most exciting hockey of that playoff year - whether anyone here remembers it or not, who knows? The Stanley Cup final, while only five games, featured some BREATHTAKING hockey - especially the games in Los Angeles. When was the last time Montreal fans saw a breathtaking hockey game? Or hockey fans in general, for that matter?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, OK I have to agree looking at the numbers that there must have been more offensive depth than I implied earlier. I do remember a no flair, defensively responsible team in a time of more wide open hockey.

You have to say there are more similarities though. There were no superstars with the exception of the goaltender. We had Naslund, we now have Koivu (who is better). We have at least the player in Zednick that we had in Damphouse. I remember frustration with Bellows, much the same way as it is with Perreault.

My original point was that I think we should give this team, under a new coach and management, some time before we start writing off the season. The same chicken littles will be back on the bandwagon before you know it.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:19 AM
RIWhaler

Realism

Quote:
My original point was that I think we should give this team, under a new coach and management, some time before we start writing off the season. The same chicken littles will be back on the bandwagon before you know it.
A valid point. As an American Canadiens fan, I don't have that "holy right to the Cup" mentality, which is something I kinda resent in some fellow fans. You'd think after ten years of humble pie, that nonsense would be as extinct as the Forum.

Regardless, without changes in player personnel, I don't think there is room for much optimism. Call me a cynic, if you will. I am simply trying to be realistic. Ideally, I don't want to come back here in mid-season to see all the fans who were upbeat prior to the year consoling each other, while sharing shots of aged brandy. But that's like asking for the trap to disappear... This team CANNOT get better when the only changes in the lineup are additional youngsters who have NOTHING proven at this level of play. Will there be good nights? Of course. Can Ward pot a hat trick or two? Possibly. But on the whole, this team will struggle. Quite frankly, if they averaged the same goal production this year in comparison with last season, I'll consider this season bareable.

Nobody wants to hear constant whining and moaning, for sure. But at the same time, the happy-go-lucky fans on this board, while to be admired, are only fooling themselves.

I love crow, by the way.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:55 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIWhaler
Regardless, without changes in player personnel, I don't think there is room for much optimism. Call me a cynic, if you will. I am simply trying to be realistic. Ideally, I don't want to come back here in mid-season to see all the fans who were upbeat prior to the year consoling each other, while sharing shots of aged brandy. But that's like asking for the trap to disappear... This team CANNOT get better when the only changes in the lineup are additional youngsters who have NOTHING proven at this level of play. Will there be good nights? Of course. Can Ward pot a hat trick or two? Possibly. But on the whole, this team will struggle. Quite frankly, if they averaged the same goal production this year in comparison with last season, I'll consider this season bareable.

I'm not saying we'll tear up the league this year, but I don't think our lineup is that much less talented than the majority of the teams in the league. I'd like to think the defense will be much more solid this year, and that is based more on a healthier lineup + added experience than pure hope. If Theo can have a great year behind an improved D, and along with that, at least 2 of Hossa, Ward, Ryder or Ribiero can contribute to balancing the offense....

I have the opinion that any team can be more than the sum of it's parts. Hopefully Julien and the management team can implement a good system. If the players all buy into it and work for each other, who knows...then again, I may be talking like I've seen the Mighty Diucks movie one too many times.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:14 AM
RIWhaler

Quote:
I have the opinion that any team can be more than the sum of it's parts. Hopefully Julien and the management team can implement a good system. If the players all buy into it and work for each other, who knows...then again, I may be talking like I've seen the Mighty Diucks movie one too many times.
One thing I will say is that I can accept losing. It doesn't really bother me. What bothers me (particularly last year) is the lack of passion. With passion comes effort, and with effort comes excitement. The fans feed off the players. But without those ingredients, Canadiens games will be no better to watch than your average New Jersey/Anaheim Stanley Cup final (I boycotted the finals, so maybe it was intriguing - HA!) I won't accept that nonsense. I pay $130 to watch these guys every year via Center Ice, and I gotta admit, I would've rather watched the local home and garden show any night last season.

I will say this, though.... on a tangent... I think a lot of guys are afraid to hit nowadays because of the protective glass along the side boards. Some rinks have gotten rid of the plexi along the end boards, but it shouldn't exists ANYWHERE in the rink. I live in Rhode Island, and our rink in Providence does not have plexiglass (it gives big time), and I've yet to hear any fans complain about it. You think these guys wanna dislocate a shoulder or knock themselves cold? What a joke...

Closed Thread