HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How can you guys listen to Jack Edwards?

Old
02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Didn't like Jack at first, but, he won me over. Especially having centerice and listening to a lot of broadcasters who either miss key plays themselves, or don't have a color man like Brick to pick up the slack.

Used to hate Brick, just because I had to play against his younger brother in men's league. The guy even wears an egg carton on his head like 99. Absolutely outstanding skater and hockey player, just like his older brother. Brick is the very best at what he does right now, bar none.

What I like about Jack most? He'd probably be ecstatic to know he's hated enough by a habs fans, that one of them started thread about it. Inmates...

Jack - "Brick? Care to explain why the faceoff has been moved to the neutral zone?"

Brick - "I don't know, I wasn't paying attention..."

And remember folks, we could have Dave Shea as our announcer right now. The man who did nothing but simply deprive us of more, and ever so precious Derek Sandersonisms during Bruin's broadcasts.

Derek - "Not a handsome kid, Sundin"
*awkward pause*
Fred - "Thank you, Derek Sanderson... and Oates wins it back to Bourque.."

Last edited by Neely08: 02-12-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
pblc

Watching Centre Ice I get to see and hear a lot worse than Jack Edwards. Sure he has his own unique idiosyncrasies and can be a little over the top at times.....but I like him.

pblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
BlueAndGold

Jack is a goofball but he's our goofball. As pointed out, he's driven to be as knowledgeable as he can, a sign of a true pro. Also, he is as passionate about the Bruins as any one of us. You got to like that.

I also like the way he has fun with the English language, which is quite rare these days in the age of over-scripted, over-produced (read dull) TV production. Most producers want non-controversial, non-offensive, pretty people (read bland) for on-air personalities. Jack is the opposite of this. He's genuine. He's unique. There's nothing phony about him. Some of his catch phases and expressions are priceless. You won't see gems like these coming from most announcers. Sometimes his attempts at funny expressions backfire, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblc View Post
Watching Centre Ice I get to see and hear a lot worse than Jack Edwards. Sure he has his own unique idiosyncrasies and can be a little over the top at times.....but I like him.
This.

I wonder how many people who hate on Jack Edwards have (and watch, and actually pay attention to) Center Ice. My guess is, "not many".

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
hubby1746

i gotta say, he really grows on you. i find him so entertaining. when i watch other games the announcers r so boring it puts me to sleep. u just gotta know that hes gonna say something strange, or go over the top with excitement for no reason. it was funny last night during the Chara/Downie scrap when he said "Mommy! Where am I?!?", and he was making fun of Downie for doing exactly wat Satan did when Downie tried to fight him, in which Downie was calling him a...something i cant say here...rhymes with mucking maggot

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Lobster57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrank21 View Post
totally agree here -
last night when the B's were up big
jack quips to brick "so can I dryclean this suit?" (as he's worn it for the last 2 wins as well)
and brick comes back "nope"...
jack is impressed with the no hesitation response and they go back and forth.
brick justifies saying "sometimes less is more"
and jack chimes in "you know I've heard that before...".
they both got a chuckle out of that, so did I.
I thought he said "I haven't learned that yet"
either way it was a good exchange and caused me to chuckle as well

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
TheBlatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I love him... I love him because you hate him. Your hate endears him to us.
I couldn't have said it better.

I like how unapologetic he is about his passion for the team that he broadcasts for.

TheBlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Pandemic

i think Jack is a complete moron... but Brick is the man. probably one of the top colour commentators out there.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:54 PM
BruinsBtn

This is completely OT but I didn't want to make a separate thread. I saw it on the Habs board and it's from a Halloween party.

So funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5Y4...layer_embedded

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
i think Jack is a complete moron... but Brick is the man. probably one of the top colour commentators out there.
I think they are good together.

I didn't like Jack at first but agree with other posters that he grows on you. He is a fan of the team and seems to know his stuff.

The fact that fans from other teams hate him make Jack even more popular with the Boston fans.

I would miss him if he left. I love the way he says such funny stuff during the games. The only thing I dislike is when he yells "GOAL" and it isn't the B's that scored.

02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
froj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
Jack is a goofball but he's our goofball. As pointed out, he's driven to be as knowledgeable as he can, a sign of a true pro. Also, he is as passionate about the Bruins as any one of us. You got to like that.

I also like the way he has fun with the English language, which is quite rare these days in the age of over-scripted, over-produced (read dull) TV production. Most producers want non-controversial, non-offensive, pretty people (read bland) for on-air personalities. Jack is the opposite of this. He's genuine. He's unique. There's nothing phony about him. Some of his catch phases and expressions are priceless. You won't see gems like these coming from most announcers. Sometimes his attempts at funny expressions backfire, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.
agreed 100%

It's still fun to play Jack Edwards bingo too

froj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
hockeybpr25

I hated him when he first started. I still don't like him but I don't hate him like I use to.

hockeybpr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Habs fans hate him, Flyers fans hate him. What's not to like ?

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

I have the Center Ice package and there are guys out there so bad that they make Jack sound like Doc Emrick.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Holie Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Habs fans hate him, Flyers fans hate him. What's not to like ?
And remember that maniacal supervillian laugh during that Bs/flyers game when Lucic had that nasty hit on Jones? That was perfect.

Holie Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:12 PM
sarge88

With all due respect to those that like him for any of the following reasons, as usually happens in these threads the majority of support for Jack goes along these lines;

1. He doesn't suck as bad as other announcers.

2. At least he knows the players names & numbers.

3. Hab fans hate him so that makes him good.

4. He loves the Bruins.

5. Sure he's a (insert word that means dork, tool, goof, etc. here) but at least he's our (insert word that means dork, tool, goof, etc. here).

6. Sure Dale was professional, mature and informed, but he was boring.

7.Brickley is awesome! (And Jack works with him)

8. Jack likes hockey! He's a true fan!

Rarely do we see anything like;

He has a professional style that enhances my enjoyment of the game and provides me with important insight or information.

or

Despite that fact that he's the Bruins announcer he's really able to balance his announcing style so that, while we're aware that he works for them, we aren't beaten over the head with it through his childish mocking of other players, their team or fans.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Bs4CUPnxtyr

Send a message via AIM to Bs4CUPnxtyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
And even though he's comedy relief, he isn't uninformed like 90% of the other color guys out there.

but he does not know the first thing about hockey! I find it hard to believe that he has been watching this game his entire life. If so, boy, he did not pick up any knowledge along the way.

How many times do you hear Brick say. " No, thats not really true, Jack." Or completely disagree with a generic comment Jack spews out.

I don't know how many times I have watched someone fire a shot and hit Thomas diretly in the chest, while listening to Edwards screaming.."OOOHHHH!!! WHAT A GREAT SAVE!!!" Or when a B's D-man misses the net from the point and Edwards says, "Good play, he missed the net on purpose to get the rebound off the back boards" Every Time it happens. Or his constant use of "dangle". 'Chara dangles with the puck, dangles to Bergeron, who dangles behind the net....' UGH!

Bs4CUPnxtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Jack Edward > God.

Unfortunately, living in Quebec with CI, I often gets the other teams feed so i don't have him all the time...

Keep annoying Habs fans Jack! Keep it up!

Jean_Jacket41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Terrier

"The air has come out of this game and the Bruins look to be on their way..." Oops, well, at least Boston didn't give up the point at the end. Anyway, for what it's worth, one reason I do like Jack is because I know hockey is absolutely #1 for him, as it is for me. At least Jack is invested in the team day-to-day, unlike Dale, who had his lazy routine of daytime sports gabbing and traipsing over to the Garden for home games.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs4CUPnxtyr View Post
but he does not know the first thing about hockey! I find it hard to believe that he has been watching this game his entire life. If so, boy, he did not pick up any knowledge along the way.

How many times do you hear Brick say. " No, thats not really true, Jack." Or completely disagree with a generic comment Jack spews out.

I don't know how many times I have watched someone fire a shot and hit Thomas diretly in the chest, while listening to Edwards screaming.."OOOHHHH!!! WHAT A GREAT SAVE!!!" Or when a B's D-man misses the net from the point and Edwards says, "Good play, he missed the net on purpose to get the rebound off the back boards" Every Time it happens. Or his constant use of "dangle". 'Chara dangles with the puck, dangles to Bergeron, who dangles behind the net....' UGH!
"Now Brick, tell the listeners exactly why getting hit in the face with a puck hurts."

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:17 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holie Goalie View Post
And remember that maniacal supervillian laugh during that Bs/flyers game when Lucic had that nasty hit on Jones? That was perfect.
You mean this one ?

I also found a youtube with the best of Rick Jennerette (is that an oxymoron or what ?)

I listened to about two minutes of it before I had to stop or rip my eardrums out.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickya13dot View Post
Because I find him far to distracting. When he is screaming, and generally wrong, it makes me far to mad to watch the game. I don't need some idiot to tell me what is going on. I have 2 eyes.

And I will say I love Brick, but sometimes even scream at the TV at him when he gets rules wrong. The other day when he didn't know the visor instigator rule, I was going nuts.
I think you need anger management classes when you go nuts and want to scream at the TV

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Still think we should have gone with Gary Thorne, but hes growing on me.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:29 PM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs4CUPnxtyr View Post
I agree with that and his performances on the Instigators are usually abysmal. He's passionate and all, but I'd say he's definitely one of my least favorite announcers (and I used to have the Center Ice package, so I'm familiar with similar drek). From his frequently uncomfortable lauding of Brickley to his tendency to start rambling about some random observation while play is occurring to his exaggerated play calling, he has me wishing the Bs had an SAP option so I could here the broadcast in Spanish. Which I don't understand.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Jack does play by play and is a homer. The problem are the color guys who are idiots.Heely,Brunet,Neale,Millen and Green to name a few.

Central Scrutinizer is online now   Reply With Quote