HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers acquire Jody Shelley for a 2011 5th or 6th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Why oh why didn't he just keep Orr?

This team doesn't need a heavy weight, it needs team toughness. Putting Shelley in the lineup doesn't make Girardi stop Carcillo from going after Gaborik.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Do you really think the TEAM is any tougher? Really?
If he's going to play over Brahear, then yes I do.

02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
2Leetch_94

The Rangers need team toughness. If Shelley can help in the locker room, fine. Trade doesn't affect me either way. 6th round pick in a weak draft class. Eh, I'll get over it. If this trade is a "loss" for Sather, I'm glad he got it out of his system. He was due for one eventually.

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
We lose a 6th round pick on a random trade and everyone is calling for his head... What is wrong with people on these boards?
To be fair, I was calling for his head before the. And I'm still calling for it after the trade.

Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
We lose a 6th round pick on a random trade and everyone is calling for his head... What is wrong with people on these boards?
I don't know who's going crazy, its not me. This won't keep me up at night, but I still have problems with liking any of this.

Slats covering his own mistake, thats all this is. And some people are applauding him on this, thats more of a problem than people getting upset that he cost us a draft pick cause he signed yet another bad contract last Summer.

Why was this Slats only move today? No takers on anyone he's trying to sell off. Best he could do was address the 'goon' situation.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
atleast we have someone who will actually stick up for teammates now. He will protect gaborik and lundqvist, and theres no doubt about it
Protect Gaborik? When is he going to be on the ice at the same time as Gaborik? Shelley will be here to do what Orr and most other goons do...fight other goons...that's it.

Team toughness starts with the players that actually play.

Old
AllNYteams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Except that Brashear will still be on the books next year unless we can trade him or he agrees to terminate his contract.

So if we re-sign Shelley, we may just end up paying ~2 mil between the 2 of them.
Yes, but I think they will get Brash off the books so it won't be a problem in the end. Brash will probably terminate his contract if he is forced to play in the Wolfpack. He'll go to the KHL he has had offers from them for a comparable amount of money to what he is getting now. He won't play in Hartford if they force his hand.

Old
JKDR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
No, because Boyle plays like he is 5'3 160lbs.
exactly!!!!

Old
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
XLJ

Guys like Carcillo and teams like philly know which teams they can push around. Why do you think Hank has been getting run over most of the year. Players think twice about doing that kind of stuff when they know someone like Shelley will come after them.

I dont want to see Prust fighting heavyweights unless he is sticking up for a teamate. Prust is good defensively, is a decent skater and and can hit. I much rather see Prust go around looking to hit players. That is something the rangers are missing.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
2Leetch_94

To be fair here...there wasn't exactly a ton of trades done today. It takes two teams to get something done.

Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers at the 23 max players on the roster. 15 forwards. 6 defenseman. 2 goaltenders. They have until early next week to assign a player to the minors but they would have to clear waivers if they are eligible for waivers. There is no waiver period during the freeze. However,Brashear could be assigned to the AHL since he cleared waivers today.

The Rangers have $129,637 in cap space after the trade.

Old
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
atleast we have someone who will actually stick up for teammates now. He will protect gaborik and lundqvist, and theres no doubt about it
Why the hell would Shelley be on the ice at the same time as Gaborik?

People here are not having an understanding on the difference between specific instances and general themes.

Is a 6th rounder going to kill the Rangers' farm system? No. Is Jody Shelley going to lead to the demise of the Rangers? No.

But that's not the issue. The issue is the overall concept. Glen Sather seems to think that the Rangers were lacking a fighter, which simply isn't the case. As Melrose said, the problem hasn't been finding a goon to send out against the other team's goon. That has no effect on anything. The problem has been a lack of toughness throughout the lineup. We didn't lack one fighter. We lacked 3 lines of grit. We lacked multiple defenseman willing to punish anybody for even tapping Lundqvist's pad. Jody Shelley is not going to fix that. A shift in team philosophy would. Unfortunately, Sather didn't address the issue in the offseason and is instead trying to patch it all together now.

Trying to address an overall team toughness by adding Jody Shelley is like trying to fix a totaled car by putting a bumper sticker over one of the dents.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Protect Gaborik? When is he going to be on the ice at the same time as Gaborik? Shelley will be here to do what Orr and most other goons do...fight other goons...that's it.

Team toughness starts with the players that actually play.
Instead of doing absolutely nothing like the rest of the rangers team did when gaborik fought carcillo, shelley would atleast drop the gloves with him the next time they are on the ice together instead of pretending it never happened.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

IMO, the idea of "protection" is much better served by a Chris Neil type than your prototypical goon. Does anyone really think that Carcillo would have thought twice about jumping Gaborik just because Shelley was sitting on the bench? These "enforcers" do little to protect your most valuable players simply because they're never on the ice together.

What you really need is a guy like Neil, who I don't even like, that can throw a retaliatory hit on one of the other teams' better players. Not a cheap shot, but enough let them know that if they go after our franchise players, we'll go after theirs as well.

Orr was at least marginally effective at that because he could skate well enough to hit someone. Shelley and Brashear cannot. They're stage fighters.

I don't have an issue with what we gave up, but I don't think this move is as useful as some folks are making it out to be.

Old
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
I think it is more the buyer mentality that pisses people off, not so much the trade.

Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Instead of doing absolutely nothing like the rest of the rangers team did when gaborik fought carcillo, shelley would atleast drop the gloves with him the next time they are on the ice together instead of pretending it never happened.
didnt the Rangers have like 3 fights in that game after that incident?

ppl conveniently forget things like that.

Old
Fletch

Singn' - I agree with this:" People called for the team to get tougher. Now they did and the world has ended"...

I always do question the effectiveness of an enforcer, although I admit that I question this because it seems as though enforcers on the Rangers always prove to be effective, no matter how good a fighter they are. Not sure why, but I remember Dom Moore getting pushed around with Colton Orr on the ice, or Ben Eager running everyone with Orr in the lineup, etc. So perhaps I'm jaded. But I do not that Prust is not an enforcer, nor is he a heavyweight. Brashear didn't do the job asked of him. Shelley is still an enforcer, but where he fits in is the question. There currently is not any room, unless you send down AA for the rest of the season and move Drury back to center, etc., although I'm not sure that's a step in the right direction.

Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
The Rangers need team toughness. If Shelley can help in the locker room, fine.
I think that's a very fair assessment.

At the same time, if it took Jody Shelley to come come in after 70 games and potentially instill a sense of pride and team toughness, then again, what's the point? Are you banking on that being the difference between getting into the playoffs or not?

Old
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The make him an offer in JUly, just like everyone else that has interest in signing him for next year.

I'm really concerned by the people here who think that ANY pick is worthy of being flushed down the toilet for a 4th line rental at this point.
thank you...
i cant for the life of me figure this one out.
even if its a 4th-5th rounder how does that justify blowing a pick on yet another 4th liner who will spend 2 months in a ranger uni. Odd's are he'll wind up taking too many penalties penalties trying to prove himself and find himself on the bench by mid march. This is just another waste of a move by Mr Sather.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Why the hell would Shelley be on the ice at the same time as Gaborik?

People here are not having an understanding on the difference between specific instances and general themes.

Is a 6th rounder going to kill the Rangers' farm system? No. Is Jody Shelley going to lead to the demise of the Rangers? No.

But that's not the issue. The issue is the overall concept. Glen Sather seems to think that the Rangers were lacking a fighter, which simply isn't the case. As Melrose said, the problem hasn't been finding a goon to send out against the other team's goon. That has no effect on anything. The problem has been a lack of toughness throughout the lineup. We didn't lack one fighter. We lacked 3 lines of grit. We lacked multiple defenseman willing to punish anybody for even tapping Lundqvist's pad. Jody Shelley is not going to fix that. A shift in team philosophy would. Unfortunately, Sather didn't address the issue in the offseason and is instead trying to patch it all together now.

Trying to address an overall team toughness by adding Jody Shelley is like trying to fix a totaled car by putting a bumper sticker over one of the dents.
Jody shelley was never on the ice with Heatley but anytime anyone touched Heatley or took a hard penalty against him, Shelley took him out the next shift. That is what protection is. Matt Bradley does the same with Ovie

Old
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Levitate

I'm pretty much laughing at every single one of you that's making a fuss about a 6th round draft pick.

6th round picks are garbage. Just like Shelley. So it's essentially a garbage for garbage trade. Pretty much a nothing trade for which there's not a single reason to get worked up about.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
I don't really care about the draft pick, but I just don't really see the point of the trade. I suppose Shelley is more of a heavyweight, but I feel like in today's game, you really only need one guy who can fight consistently, heavyweight or not.

We also have a huge logjam at the forward position.
You suppose?

Are you blind or just don't want to admit you were wrong?

Old
02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
1. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I could have sworn Avery tussled with Carcillo twice in that game after the incident. And also, I'm quite sure Voros went at it with Asham, for his bump of Lundqvist.

2. What makes you think Carcillo is going to drop them with Shelley? He's not completely dumb...mostly, but not completely. If Shelley wants to jump Carcillo on the next shift, he's going to get the team penalized, and who knows what else. That's why goons mostly fight other goons...that's their jobs.

Old
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Jody shelley was never on the ice with Heatley but anytime anyone touched Heatley or took a hard penalty against him, Shelley took him out the next shift. That is what protection is. Matt Bradley does the same with Ovie
If this was true then San Jose Sharks fans wouldn't be celebrating his departure.

Old
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
didnt the Rangers have like 3 fights in that game after that incident?

ppl conveniently forget things like that.
Avery should be commended for fighting carcillo after the fight, but no offense to avery, shelley is 6'3 230. He might be able to do a little bit more damage. Lets just watch him in the lineup before we judge the guy. As crazy as it sounds we are not entirely out of the playoff hunt yet.

Closed Thread